PDA

View Full Version : Wwf 1997-2002

21GoSpursGo9
05-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Did any of you watch the WWF during these years. Im talking the Austin/Mcmahon era, the corporate ministry, WCW and ECW Invasion, etc etc??

ATRAIN
05-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Did any of you watch the WWF during these years. Im talking the Austin/Mcmahon era, the corporate ministry, WCW and ECW Invasion, etc etc??

It was all about the NWO

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 01:36 PM
I have NEVER liked WWF. Not even as a kid. I was always a fan of NWA, WCW and the original ECW. The Joey Styles, Sandman, Shane Douglas, Terry Funk, Balls Mahony and Blue Meanie ECW. I was pissed when the McMahons bought WCW and ECW and turned them into a joke. I haven't watched wrestling since.

I do have several tapes of japanese deathmatch wrestling from BJPW and FMW. I love seeing those crazy japs use everything from C4 to parana in their matches to give the most blood and gore possible.

MR. POGO FTW!

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2008, 01:53 PM
As a matter of fact you described pretty much the exact time frame that I was a wrestling fan before I lost interest. I was into it in the late 80's/early 90's, lost interest for a couple of years and then got back into it for a while. Why do you ask?

Thunder Dan
05-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I did. I went to a couple shows here in Cleveland. I got on TV at the No Mercy PPV (the first Hardy Boys/ Edge Christian ladder match). I had a sign that said 'Rick Flair has Sloppy Tits'.. I also almost got my ass kicked by a black guy because of a sign I had for a Raw that said 'Blackman Kendos Himself' it was meant for Steve Blackman, but if you imagine a black guy and a 60IQ you can see how he might be offended.

I was pretty lame as a kid. thank god I'm not still into wrestling

21GoSpursGo9
05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
As a matter of fact you described pretty much the exact time frame that I was a wrestling fan before I lost interest. I was into it in the late 80's/early 90's, lost interest for a couple of years and then got back into it for a while. Why do you ask?

Eh I was on youtube today surfing shit and I wanting to watch some classics of The Rock and Stone Cold.

I loved that era so much. The Ministry of Darkness led by the Undertaker, and Austin turning heel at Wrestlemania 17 in Houston and siding with Vince (IMO the best Wrestlemania EVER) were moments I so loved and enjoyed. I hate wrestling now. I quit watching for good after wrestlemania 20 but I lost interest in early 2003. I just miss the days I would get so excited for Monday Night Raw.

21GoSpursGo9
05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I did. I went to a couple shows here in Cleveland. I got on TV at the No Mercy PPV (the first Hardy Boys/ Edge Christian ladder match). I had a sign that said 'Rick Flair has Sloppy Tits'.. I also almost got my ass kicked by a black guy because of a sign I had for a Raw that said 'Blackman Kendos Himself' it was meant for Steve Blackman, but if you imagine a black guy and a 60IQ you can see how he might be offended.

I was pretty lame as a kid. thank god I'm not still into wrestling

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Thats comedy but also scary at the same time. Eh wrestling blows now. Stone Cold and the Rock took it to another level. They were entertaining as hell.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Honestly I never really was that big of a fan of The Rock or Austin. I liked the Rock a lot at first, because he was funny as hell, but after about a year it became painful watching his cookie cutter promos and matches. One of the biggest things that drove me away from WWE was the Rock vs. Hogan feud. I was big fans of both at one point but then their interviews and ring work looked more like dance recitals. You could see everything that was going to happen coming from about 10 miles away.

What really and truely got me back into wrestling was Have a Nice Day by Mick Foley. The feud he had with Triple H right after it came out cemented my fanhood, and by then the WWE was pushing some of its new talent like Edge and Christian, Kurt Angle, and Chris Benoit. All of them were involved in some of the best matches I ever laid eyes on.

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Honestly I never really was that big of a fan of The Rock or Austin. I liked the Rock a lot at first, because he was funny as hell, but after about a year it became painful watching his cookie cutter promos and matches. One of the biggest things that drove me away from WWE was the Rock vs. Hogan feud. I was big fans of both at one point but then their interviews and ring work looked more like dance recitals. You could see everything that was going to happen coming from about 10 miles away.

What really and truely got me back into wrestling was Have a Nice Day by Mick Foley. The feud he had with Triple H right after it came out cemented my fanhood, and by then the WWE was pushing some of its new talent like Edge and Christian, Kurt Angle, and Chris Benoit. All of them were involved in some of the best matches I ever laid eyes on.

Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn matches in ECW were extreme classics. If you can get a hold of the first match you should watch it. Brilliant ringwork and mutal respect from both sides. Chris Benoit v. Dean Malinko matches in WCW were also some of the best I've ever seen.

WWF turned to soap operaish for me during the Austin days. Now it's way too storyline driven with the actual wrestling put on the back burner.

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 03:16 PM
_pHlGZEmXoI

The 4:35 mark.

The Chair Shot Hear Around the World.

This was also a very good feud.

Joey Styles was THE BEST commentator ever.

whottt
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I was a wrestling fan in the seventies...not of any national federation but of the local feds in Austin and San Antonio. The dad of a couple of my friends was a Pro Wrestler so I got to go to a lot of live shows and go backstage etc.

I did not watch during the 80's as I thought Hogan and Warrior and all those guys pretty much sucked....before those guys, you could suspect wrestling was fake but it wasn't blatantly obvious...watching Hulk Hogan wrestle...it was blatantaly obvious.

I got back into Wrestling in the mid 90's when WCW brought in all their spectacular cruiserweights...and ECW started to make a name for itself.

I pretty watched WCW but they lost favor with me once they lost Eddie Gurerro, Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho...plus like SFIE said...Mick Foley was a show stealer.

After most of the young talent went to WWE I started watching that until WCW went out of business and then WWE was the only show in town.

I watched WWE becuase I really big fan of Chris Benoit and in particular his matches with Kurt Angle...but something was missing and I just didn't watch as much, until they put the belt on Benoit...I pretty much watched his entire title run and then when they took the belt off him around 2004 I stopped watching.

As it stands right now...I am pretty down on the wrestling business. I appreciate what the wrestlers put into it(they are much tougher and wrestling is more real than non wrestling fans realize) but when they are doing so many steroids and pain killers, and taking such a beating in the ring that they are dying at the age of 40 and or murdering their wives and children from brain damage sustained in the ring...or former valets are dying of drug addiction and overdoses...

The business is sick and it needs to be healed...it's just not any fun knowing all the crap these guys are going through behind the scenes.

Thunder Dan
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
the best fued was Sable and Jacqueline when they had the bikini contest circa 1999. During the contest Jackie whips out her boob and that my friends was the first black boobie I ever saw- loved it. True story

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
the best fued was Sable and Jacqueline when they had the bikini contest circa 1999. During the contest Jackie whips out her boob and that my friends was the first black boobie I ever saw- loved it. True story

Didn't she used to be a stripper in Dallas before she started wrestling?

And Midge, RVD was the shit! I saw some matches of him and Sabu in ECW and those guys were out of their fucking minds. At that point I knew wrestling was scripted so I assumed that most any sign of pain that a wrestler showed was just acting. They relieved me of that illusion.

And for as little I generally like the storyline stuff, RVD and Austin were comedic gold. His stoner routine was the perfect foil for Austin's intensity. What?

mrsmaalox
05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't know if this is in the correct time frame, but does anyone remember this guy:

http://www.wrestlingtradingcards.com/images/1996_wwf_magazine/27.jpg

He (Bruce Prichard) was a manager-type character named "Brother Love". His brother, Tom Prichard, was also in WWF as a character called "Dr.____" don't know the name. I've never personally met them or seen their work, but their oldest brother, Kenny, is my husband's best friend. They grew up together, and are still very close, our oldest son is named after him. And I have autographed 8 x 10 glossies from them. So there. I've never gotten to share that with anyone before! :)

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
:lol I hated that guy.

"I...loooooooooooooooooooovvvvve yooooo!" But it was a great character right as guys like Swaggart and Baker's shit was hitting the fan.

Spurminator
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
No, but I went to high school with Ryan Shamrock.

Who wants to touch me?

Thunder Dan
05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
No, but I went to high school with Ryan Shamrock.

Who wants to touch me?

you mean Ken Shamrock?

oh n/m I remember his 'sister' Ryan

Rip-Hamilton32
05-01-2008, 04:19 PM
you mean Ken Shamrock?

oh n/m I remember his 'sister' Ryan
i think he has a son named ryan

Thunder Dan
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
i think he has a son named ryan

no his little sister was named Ryan and she was really hot. I remember she went out with another wrestler and Ken hated him for it. I can't remember who it was, but I'm thinking it was Stone Cold and it started a feud between him and Ken.

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 04:43 PM
no his little sister was named Ryan and she was really hot. I remember she went out with another wrestler and Ken hated him for it. I can't remember who it was, but I'm thinking it was Stone Cold and it started a feud between him and Ken.

That wasn't his real sister. And Val Venis started dating her and it started a feud between the two of them.

JoeChalupa
05-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I stopped watching wrestlin' back in the 70's....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/rastlin.gif

..when it was still real.

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Anyone remember this?

DQ_RR9WjUlI

ATRAIN
05-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn matches in ECW were extreme classics. If you can get a hold of the first match you should watch it. Brilliant ringwork and mutal respect from both sides. Chris Benoit v. Dean Malinko matches in WCW were also some of the best I've ever seen.

WWF turned to soap operaish for me during the Austin days. Now it's way too storyline driven with the actual wrestling put on the back burner.

The Van Terminator was the sickest move ever!!! The ECW ring was small but the way he flew was amazing.

Thunder Dan
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
That wasn't his real sister. And Val Venis started dating her and it started a feud between the two of them.

yeah thats right

ATRAIN
05-01-2008, 05:13 PM
You guys want a sick finishing move look up the Canadian Destroyer on You Tube. ITs done by Petey Williams from TNA.

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
bm7N2MmYC5w

6 minute mark

That shit is brutal. I loved WCW Catus Jack.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2008, 05:32 PM
bm7N2MmYC5w

6 minute mark

That shit is brutal. I loved WCW Catus Jack.

Jeebus that was brutal. In Have a Nice Day he says he was trying to end his career with that move on the ramp, and I can't believe that didn't do it.

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Jeebus that was brutal. In Have a Nice Day he says he was trying to end his career with that move on the ramp, and I can't believe that didn't do it.

Have you seen the barbed wire match he had with Terry Funk in Japan that he talks about in the book? It is THE greatest hardcore match I have ever seen.

bendmz
05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
anyone remember the WRESTLETON over on Blanco I think, or was it on Josephine ?
I know HBK was using the top floor on the building on Zarzamora and Martin here about two years ago for his Texas School of Wrestling...... but it fizzeled out in about 6 months......

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
The stupidest "hardcore" wrestling move ever.

cEImP4HdeXM

Rip-Hamilton32
05-01-2008, 07:12 PM

his sons name is ryan and is also in mma now but like his father hes just gonna keep getting his ass beat down

dawn
05-01-2008, 11:40 PM
I LOVED Wrestling during that time. I was NEVER a fan of WCW though. I grew up on WCCW and the great Von Erich/FreeBird Fueds. I always dug Chris Adams and nothing was better then the Chris Adams with Sunshine vs Gorgous Jimmy Garvin and Precious battles.

I also always dug WWF/WWE. So many great battles but the 97-2002 time frame was the best. Dx (HHH, Chyna, And Shawn) the best, still dug the New Age Outlaws, but not so much X-pac, although some of the funniest shit I ever saw was them inmatating the Nation of Domination and X-pac as Mark Henry. Stone Cold was the MAN and still is. Only guy I know...EVER that does not even have to wrestle, just him on the mic had you on the edge of your seat thinking, "Holy Shit. what the hell is he gonna od or say next". I dug the Rock, but not as much as Steve. LOVED Mic Foley and the Undertaker. Two of the GREATS ever.

I still try and watch here and there, but I am just not DRAWN into anyone right now. The cool thing about the time period we are talking about was the cross over appeal of every match on every card. Everyone could be a RIVAL to anyone at any given time. That is what I LIVED for. It was like ROYAL RUMBLE electric every Monday night. You never knew who would turn on who or do what. There were few "TRUE" heels or babyfaces, only pure charectors for you to gravitate to.

Through the years though I have had the opportunity to get to know a lot of those folks personally and through 97-2002 my sister and I NEVER missed a show here and pretty much made all the Austin, Dallas, or Houston shows. We became friends with several people from the WWE and would always be treated very well. Front row seats were the ONLY way to go.

The coolest thing though...I went to the Royal Rumble this past year when it was here and that was my first WWE event in like 5 years. I sat in the front row next to "SIGN GUY". I am sitting there looking back at the jumbo screen watching a promo when i feel a tap on my hand. Referee Jim Korderas or Jimmy as we called him, says hey Dawn, where the hell you been? I could not believe he remembered me. Later on my Husband and I hung out and chatted for a second with him, Mike Chioda, Jack Doan, and my good friend Michael Cole. It was too much fun and I got two BAD ASS Royal Rumble chairs to take home!!!

midgetonadonkey
05-01-2008, 11:45 PM
The Undertaker will always be "Mean" Mark Callous to me.

DBryant88
05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
it was the best era. it marked the end of the bret hart era and the beginning of the stonecold,rock era

resistanze
05-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Anyone remember this?

DQ_RR9WjUlI

LMAO @ Sid Vicious. That was some nasty shit. Good times.

Dick the Bruiser
05-02-2008, 08:41 AM
The WWF was for wimps.

alamo50
05-02-2008, 01:10 PM
The time when I was realy into it was before 1997.

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/u/ultimatewarrior/10.jpg

It was the reign of the Ultimate Warrior and the entrance of The Undertaker.
I loved it!

Furthermore Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Macho Man Randy Savage, Hulk Hogan, Big Boss Man, Heart Foundation and the Bushwackers come to mind as my favourites.

As this thread made me wonder about Ultimate Warrior's furhter track record I just found this out:

"On June 25th 2008 in Barcelona, after a 12 year absence from the ring, The Ultimate Warrior will officially make his wrestling comeback in a match against Jordan. The news was confirmed this morning by Warrior's agent, Bernie Gernay in a statement.

"For over 10 years this is what the entire wrestling world has been waiting for, the return of the Warrior. We are excited to bring back the greatest character and energy to ever get into the ring. Ultimate Warrior is an incredible marketing machine and has kept a tremendous value to his name which is why the NWE has stepped up with a substantial deal that worked very well for both sides. There is no disputing that Warrior left a mark on professional wrestling that no other talent did and the reason why still today he is often imitated, but never duplicated."

Over the next few days the NWE will inform fans of the preparations for one of the biggest and most important wrestling events ever to be held in Europe. As the news progresses it is sure to be the headlines of wrestling news and forums throughout the internet and will most certainly have all in the wrestling industry and fans alike in great anticipation to see what the Warrior will deliver on June 25th, and perhaps beyond".

Bernie J. Gernay Agent for The Ultimate Warrior

SUWEET!!!!
I would pay for this.

Taco
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY THIS THREAD:wakeup

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93719

possessed
05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
The Undertaker will always be "Mean" Mark Callous to me.

Something you never see anymore is the heart punch. I'm surprised the Undertaker hasn't used it since his days as Mean Mark.