PDA

View Full Version : Hornets: Biggest Threat

BiZNicK
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Who's the biggest threat on the Hornet's squad?

PG - Chris Pual
SF - Peja Stojakovic
PF - David West
C - Tyson Chandler

Somebody else...?

Sigz
05-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Bonzi Wells

nkdlunch
05-01-2008, 04:33 PM
of course chris paul.

But I say if we can contain Peja and West. We'll be fine.

But if Peja and West have great series. we will lose this series.

This will be the decider, I'm tellin ya

DAF86
05-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Not even close

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
David West. Matchup wise I don't know who we throw at him.

Deimosfobos
05-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Chris Paul is by far their best player, West is also really good, but he depends on Paul to be that good.

JOE in NO
05-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Paul's the biggest threat, but West is the biggest x-factor. Paul will cause you trouble, even if he's not hitting his shots he'll get in the lane to pass the ball to West and Peja or draw your bigs and alley-oop to Chandler. You can't stop him from getting to the lane, much like I don't expect the Hornets to keep Parker and Manu out. The Hornets can win if Peja doesn't hit his shots, but if West isn't hitting his shots than the Hornets are in trouble. If there's one thing about West though, it's that he's stubborn enough to not let a cold start keep him from shooting until he finds his rhythm.

johngateswhiteley
05-01-2008, 04:46 PM
david west.

Scola Trade
05-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Other: Shaq

rAm
05-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Ourselves

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Worst poll ever.

Teal Street
05-01-2008, 04:53 PM
All the above?

nfg3
05-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Hands down - CP3. He is their engine and what makes them go. Contain/shut down CP3 and they go nowhere.

Medvedenko
05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Pargo

BiZNicK
05-01-2008, 05:04 PM
All West does is score...Paul does much more..

GrandeDavid
05-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I have no idea.

tmtcsc
05-01-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm not worried about Peja or Pargo. We have people who can defend them. The tough matchups will be with Paul and Wells.

DarrinS
05-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Let's see, one of those guys is an MVP candidate and the rest would be relative unknowns in the NBA without the aforementioned MVP candidate.

I can't decide.

BiZNicK
05-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Let's see, one of those guys is an MVP candidate and the rest would be relative unknowns in the NBA without the aforementioned MVP candidate.

I can't decide.

lol............................................... ...........................no.

Allanon
05-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Tyson Chandler holds the key to the series. If the Spurs let him have his way, it's over for the Spurs. If the Spurs can get him into foul trouble quick, it's over for the Hornets.

The thing is after Chandler, the remaining Hornet Centers would make Fabs and KT look like All Stars. You'll notice that even when Chandler has foul trouble, Byron Scott won't pull him out because he means THAT much to the team.

If CP3 goes out, you have Jannero Pargo who has been absolutely lighting it up
If Peja is sucking, David West takes over for awhile and vice versa
If Tyson Chandler gets in foul trouble, he has NBDL players come in for him

Chandler gets the momentum changing O Rebounds, the tap outs (like that last Mav game), and thunderous alley-oop dunks that get the crowd fired up and he kills the opponent's momentum.

The Hornets thrive because they have 4 All-Star type players on the court at the same time: CP3, Peja, "David" and Tyson Chandler. 3 of them are replaceable, 1 of them isn't.

Get Chandler out of the game and the Spurs win.

King Ju I
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Gotta be CP3. He is the engine of the team. If he runs well everybody else looks good. West is the other guy in the starting 5 that can create his own shot. But Paul gets Peja and Mo Pete wide open looks. He gets Chandler easy alley oop's.

Bonzi and Pargo will be the wildcards. Bonzi has torn you guys up in the past. Pargo can really lite it up, but when hes off O man is he bad!

DarrinS
05-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Tyson Chandler holds the key to the series. If the Spurs let him have his way, it's over for the Spurs. If the Spurs can get him into foul trouble quick, it's over for the Hornets.

The thing is after Chandler, the remaining Hornet Centers would make Fabs and KT look like All Stars. You'll notice that even when Chandler has foul trouble, Byron Scott won't pull him out because he means THAT much to the team.

If CP3 goes out, you have Jannero Pargo who has been absolutely lighting it up
If Peja is sucking, David West takes over for awhile and vice versa
If Tyson Chandler gets in foul trouble, he has NBDL players come in for him

Chandler gets the momentum changing O Rebounds, the tap outs (like that last Mav game), and thunderous alley-oop dunks that get the crowd fired up and he kills the opponent's momentum.

Get Chandler out of the game and the Spurs win.

I disagree. The entire team is based on what CP3 does. If you can shut him down (keep him from getting assists), you can really limit their offense.

What does Tyson Chandler do besides knock down ally-oops? (and from who?)

Chandler only got about 10 points (or less) per game against Mavs.

Allanon
05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
I disagree. The entire team is based on what CP3 does. If you can shut him down (keep him from getting assists), you can really limit their offense.

What does Tyson Chandler do besides knock down ally-oops? (and from who?)

Chandler only got about 10 points (or less) per game against Mavs.

CP3 is replaceable by Janero Pargo. He's obviously not as good but he still does a good job. Alot of the damage versus the Mavs was during the time CP3 was on the bench.

Now Tyson Chandler, you look at his points and think :sleep, but it's not about his points, its about his presence. If you watch this upcoming series, you'll see Byron Scott gambles with Chandler's foul trouble because he can't afford to have him out.

The Hornets have very average defenders, but why are they a good defensive team? Chris Paul gambles alot and is often a sieve on defense. Then why is it so hard to score on the Hornets?

Chandler is the answer, he anchors their defense much like Camby does for the Nuggets. He can block shots, score points and is a fine passer. CP3 knows he can gamble for a steal because Chandler has his back.

And he is #1 in the league in offensive rebounds.

Ok, so if he's not in the game, who comes in for him? Hilton Armstrong, a total bust, Marvin Ely and Birdman (the guy who was suspended for drug use).

In all the other positions, you have an A player subbed by an A- or B type player. In the Center position, you go from an A to an F-.

With Tyson Chandler out of the game, the Hornets are worse defenders than even the Nuggets.

SpursIndonesia
05-01-2008, 06:03 PM
David West, arguably their second best player after CP. CP is already a superstar, we can't allow them to have another in this series, and he's the most difficult match up for our squad.

Solid D
05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
If you are just looking at points scored, David West is a slightly bigger threat vs. the Spurs (23 ppg). Chris Paul averaged 21.75 vs. the Spurs this season.

Paul is the floor general and the overall biggest threat. If he scores 20+ and hands out assists for 17 FGs for other players, like he did in the 100-75 game in March, Chris is the bigger threat.

David West is right there, though.

Peja must be defended by Bowen, no question there.

DespЏrado
05-01-2008, 06:28 PM
CP3 is replaceable by Janero Pargo. He's obviously not as good but he still does a good job. Alot of the damage versus the Mavs was during the time CP3 was on the bench.

From the games I saw the Hornets became a very stagnant team every time CP3 rested on the bench. The Mavs seemed to get back in the games only when Paul was on the bench, so maybe we watched different games but from what I saw your analysis is way off.

Allanon
05-01-2008, 06:34 PM
From the games I saw the Hornets became a very stagnant team every time CP3 rested on the bench. The Mavs seemed to get back in the games only when Paul was on the bench, so maybe we watched different games but from what I saw your analysis is way off.

Yes, we must have watched different games because Pargo had a sensational series from what I saw. Even when CP3 and Pargo were on the floor together, CP3 didn't have to do much other than give the ball to Pargo.

I'm not saying Pargo is as good as Paul, I'm saying he's a great running mate to Paul.

Think about it, why are the Hornets considered a good defensive team when they have 3 average defenders out of their Big 4? Peja, David and CP3, none of these guys are good defenders...but Tyson Chandler IS. CP3 is their best point guard but Chandler is their best defensive player and as they say, Defense wins championships.

Now look at who Chandler has as a replacement: Hilton Armstrong, Chris Anderson and Marvin Ely. Without Chandler, the Hornets don't play defense and don't get any second chance points. The Hornets go from a top defensive team to the Nuggets with just 1 substitution.

During this series, just watch how poor the Hornets are defensively when Peja, CP3 and DWest are on the floor without Chandler. You'll see how vital Chandler is to their success. You'll see even with 3 fouls in the first half, Byron Scott won't take him out of the game.

JOE in NO
05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I've got a love/hate thing with Pargo because it's not the same when he runs the offense. I'll pull my hair out watching him on the wing going between his legs just standing there, taking a few dribbles, and popping a shot. If he makes it, he's great, but when he's going like 2-11 and not running the offense, it drives me crazy.

Pargo and West are streaky. Pargo is streaky game to game; he'll either have it or he'll stink up the joint. West is streaky in the same game and miss 5 straight shots before making his next 6 then missing his next 4.

DespЏrado
05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah we did watch different games.

I do believe that the Hornet present a very real threat to the Spurs. If the Spurs play in any way like the way they ended the regular season they are very beatable. And the Hornets represent a perfectly built team to upset the Spurs. Young and cocksure who don't know they are "supposed to lose" to the Spurs could be the perfect ingredients for a Cinderella like upset.

But what I don't get is why there are more Laker's fans cheering for the upset than anybody else? Could it be that you realize that Spurs get past these young upstart Hornets that they won't be denied their first repeat? I think that is more true than any Laker fan cares to admit.

Allanon
05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Who's cheering for the Hornets? I don't think any Laker fans here are cheering for the Hornets... Yuck. Lakers, Spurs and Blazers are my 3 favorite teams.

Go Spurs!

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Pargo was one of those scrubs that couldn't get Kobe out of the first round, and now he's as good as Chris Paul?

BigBeezie
05-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Pargo...or Pardo sucks my wang. I don't know that they would let him mop up the floors at the AT&T center.

SAGambler
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Janero Pargo is the one we need to stop in his tracks. When he comes in with the second unit and gets them going, that's when the Hornets get dangerous.

Indazone
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I"m telling you Scott is no dummy. He knows what Bonzi Wells has done to the Spurs in the past. Bonzi is gonna get major minutes. 30 minutes a game and watch out. I voted other because...

Bonzi is a Spurs killer.

Teal Street
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Speaking of other . I also think Julian Wright will have more of a coming out Party in this series. He is tall and athletic and plays solid defense. Doesn't have too bad a dunk either.Not saying he will be the biggest threat though.

Allanon
05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Janero Pargo is the one we need to stop in his tracks. When he comes in with the second unit and gets them going, that's when the Hornets get dangerous.

Yup, that's a good point. The Mavs underestimated Pargo, the Spurs especially don't have a quick guy off the bench for him...not sure who would guard Pargo. In game 2/3 against the Mavs when he had 30 points, the Mavs couldn't stop him with anybody.

Deuces88
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM
How is Bonzi a Spurs killer? Because he did well against the Spurs in the past? What kind of friggin logic is that?

In the 2 games Bonzi played vs the Spurs this season (as a Hornet), he didn't do much. Played 20 minutes for a grand 2 points on 1-7 shooting in the loss to the Spurs. In the win, he played 15 minutes for 8 points.

Just because he did well against a past Spurs team (the Spurs roster is different now), doesn't mean he will now.

jestersmash
05-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Chris Paul runs the offense, and out of all the key players, I think West relies on Paul the most.

We take Paul and Stojokovic out of their rhythym, and we're golden.

SpursDynasty
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
The Hornets aren't a threat. We have the same record as they do and they had to play out of their minds to get there. For us, we could get 56 with our hands tied behind our back.

The Hornets just got all of their shots to go down all year. BFD.

pauls931
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
The biggest threat is if they bring in some real hornets as subs.

itzsoweezee
05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
david west, of course. spurs have no one that can guard that guy.

Mavs<Spurs
05-01-2008, 10:57 PM
CP3 is their Steve Nash.

Contain him and Spurs win.

pauls931
05-01-2008, 11:02 PM
CP3 is their Steve Nash.

Contain him and Spurs win.

Honestly, watching him, he's played more fluid than nash this year and of course plays better D. But you're right, contain him and you'll shut down their offense.

Deuces88
05-01-2008, 11:04 PM
David West...meet Tim Duncan...and then meet this nice, one-of-a-kind fishing pole.

FilSpursFan
05-01-2008, 11:08 PM
B. Scott

oboymeetsogirl
05-01-2008, 11:10 PM
If they stop (or actually, simply slow down) CP3, you've effectively stalled the Hornets. In the next series look for games when West, or Chandler, Peja or even that Pargo guy might have big games. As long as Paul's game is limited, the Spurs will be fine. It's whoever scores the most as a team that wins it.

Manudona
05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I voted other for... Manu's Health, I think that is the biggest threat. Paul is very very good, no one will deny it, but I think 2005 Nash was even better, yet the Spurs managed to went trhu his Suns.

LEONARD
05-06-2008, 08:56 AM
David West...meet Tim Duncan...and then meet this nice, one-of-a-kind fishing pole.

:lol

TheTruth62987
05-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Other: No matter who you gameplan for, someone else on our team is going to jab the dagger into your heart. Pick your poison CP3, West, Peja. Hell, Mo Pete and Bonzi can both score in double figures. It's not a good matchup for the Spurs.

Budkin
05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
CP3... the dude is amazing.