PDA

View Full Version : World's second dumbest Yale graduate

CubanMustGo
05-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Young doctor from Yale on "are you smarter than a fifth grader" ... did not know that Colorado bordered Kansas and Utah (guessed Wyoming). Did not know that Tchaikovsky wrote "Swan Lake" (stole the answer from a kid, that one was tough). Did not know that Christmas was the last federal holiday (guessed Thanksgiving). The kids got all these right, natch.

Dude was supposedly a National Merit Scholar, guess he attended a lot of those prep classes.

jestersmash
05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Based on what you've said, that person doesn't seem dumb at all.

For somebody who doesn't explicitly know about what holidays are "federal" ones, it makes perfect sense to guess that Thanksgiving is the last federal holiday.

With such an emphasis on trying to separate church and state, why would it seem reasonable to have a Christian holiday constitute as a "federal holiday"? It doesn't. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that Christmas counts as a "federal holiday" when other religious holidays are not considered to be "federal." Christians don't deserve extra recognition/acknowledgement over any other religion (or atheism) and vice versa.

Not knowing that Colorado bordered Kansas and Utah is not a big deal. Wyoming borders Utah, and furthermore Wyoming is about 100 miles away from Kansas.

In order to succeed in this world, there is no need to know U.S. geography to such a high degree that you could answer these (seemingly) simple questions without hesitation.

Calling this guy the "world's second dumbest Yale grad" is a joke. Get over yourself.

Thunder Dan
05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Bush has to be up there aswell

FromWayDowntown
05-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Bush has to be up there aswell

I'm guessing that's the reason this guy is described as the second dumbest Yale graduate.

Don Quixote
05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
predictable.

CuckingFunt
05-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't suppose there's much call for a doctor to know Colorado's bordering states at the drop of a hat.

I love to mock stupidity as much as anyone else, but I don't think it is anywhere near as easy to know random shit with a camera in your face as it is to know the same random shit while sitting in your living room.

CubanMustGo
05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Woo, tough crowd tonight. :lol

mrsmaalox
05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Woo, tough crowd tonight. :lol

Tell me about it. :rolleyes

Louie Vega
05-01-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm guessing that's the reason this guy is described as the second dumbest Yale graduate.

Ha ha ha Ya think? Ha ha ha :lmao:flag:

Thunder Dan
05-02-2008, 08:34 AM

went right over my head- but I didn't go to Yale

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Based on what you've said, that person doesn't seem dumb at all.

For somebody who doesn't explicitly know about what holidays are "federal" ones, it makes perfect sense to guess that Thanksgiving is the last federal holiday.

With such an emphasis on trying to separate church and state, why would it seem reasonable to have a Christian holiday constitute as a "federal holiday"? It doesn't. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that Christmas counts as a "federal holiday" when other religious holidays are not considered to be "federal." Christians don't deserve extra recognition/acknowledgement over any other religion (or atheism) and vice versa.

Not knowing that Colorado bordered Kansas and Utah is not a big deal. Wyoming borders Utah, and furthermore Wyoming is about 100 miles away from Kansas.

In order to succeed in this world, there is no need to know U.S. geography to such a high degree that you could answer these (seemingly) simple questions without hesitation.

Calling this guy the "world's second dumbest Yale grad" is a joke. Get over yourself.

Are you defending this guy because you're as dumb as him?

These are all very elementary questions, hence the name of the show.

It amazes me the number of Americans that don't know shit about their own country.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I don't suppose there's much call for a doctor to know Colorado's bordering states at the drop of a hat.

I love to mock stupidity as much as anyone else, but I don't think it is anywhere near as easy to know random shit with a camera in your face as it is to know the same random shit while sitting in your living room.

Doctor's still have to take a history course as their core studies in any university.

But, anyway, we've been bombarded with the map of the U.S. since 1rst grade, if not earlier. That's actually pretty easy.

And, camera or not, they're given quite a bit of time to answer these things.

mrsmaalox
05-02-2008, 09:21 AM

Which is my main problem with that show. It moves too slow!

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I know alot about America.

Ask me the capital of Baltimore.

some_user86
05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
WGAF about Colorado?

jestersmash
05-02-2008, 10:16 AM

It amazes me the number of Americans that don't know shit about their own country.

No. Are you resorting to contentless insults because you're an immature fucking neanderthal?

I'll give you the fact that the geography question is in fact very easy. You are right, we have had the U.S. map drilled into our head since 1st grade.

Just because this guy did not realize that Christmas is the last federal holiday does not warrant branding him as dumb. See my last post.

Tchaikovsky wrote "Swan Lake." Fine, most people know that, but technically speaking this is still trivia. I'm sure this guy knows a bunch of trivia that you do not know. Does this make you dumb?

leemajors
05-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Doctor's still have to take a history course as their core studies in any university.

But, anyway, we've been bombarded with the map of the U.S. since 1rst grade, if not earlier. That's actually pretty easy.

they also deal with 4-6 years of medical school afterwards. it certainly doesn't make you stupid to forget something trivial you haven't had a reason to recall in years. most people don't have

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/images/movie/small/Total_recall.gif

and yes, I miss HoopsCzar.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 10:39 AM
No. Are you resorting to contentless insults because you're an immature fucking neanderthal?

I'll give you the fact that the geography question is in fact very easy. You are right, we have had the U.S. map drilled into our head since 1st grade.

Just because this guy did not realize that Christmas is the last federal holiday does not warrant branding him as dumb. See my last post.

Tchaikovsky wrote "Swan Lake." Fine, most people know that, but technically speaking this is still trivia. I'm sure this guy knows a bunch of trivia that you do not know. Does this make you dumb?

So, a smart person goes to a trivia show not knowing that he will be asked trivial questions??

Smart.

Anyway, not knowing Christmas is the last federal holiday is beyond stupid as hell. Does he have a bank account? Does he have children that go to school? Does he remember being in school?

You see, banking institutions, federal and state institutions, and schools all are closed during Christmas. This should've rung a bell in his Yale educated head.

Do you not know any of this?

Who's the neanderthal?

resistanze
05-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I saw that episode last night. He was dumb as hell, no excuses :lol.

God damn, I'm from Canada and I knew the answers were Christmas and Colorado.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
they also deal with 4-6 years of medical school afterwards. it certainly doesn't make you stupid to forget something trivial you haven't had a reason to recall in years. most people don't have

The ones who remember are nothing short of pure genius?

maxpower
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
went right over my head- but I didn't go to Yale

Seems like you would be a natural Yalie.

(i keed)

CuckingFunt
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM

I've never watched this particular game show, so I don't know how long they have to answer the questions, but that doesn't change the fact that a game show creates a pressure situation. How many times have any of us taken a test and completely blanked on an answer that we knew five minutes earlier?

And core classes at a university doesn't really mean anything. Most people don't remember much of the stuff that they've learned unless they have a particular reason to do so. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person, and always had an affinity for math when I was younger, but I haven't had to take a math class in over 11 years and have had absolutely zero reason to do anything more than basic addition/subtraction/etc. in that time -- if I suddenly had to do algebra, I'd be in serious trouble.

leemajors
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
The ones who remember are nothing short of pure genius?

quick - who's the father of modern warfare?!!?

CubanMustGo
05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
OK, so maybe I overreacted to a National Merit Scholar Yale MD not being able to pull trivia out of his hat. Maybe I'm still pissed off that I missed going to the next round of the Jeopardy selection process one time when I couldn't come up with Greg LeMond's name - and ended up missing the cut by one answer. :lol

For those who have never watched, this really is a low pressure, slow-paced program. FWIW the bubba that followed the MD ended up winning 7 times as much ($175K to $25K).

The web site has an app for people who want to be on the show, so I checked it out. Pretty typical stuff, they ask you a bunch of questions, then you'll have to fly out for interviews if selected, and if you pass that they fly you back but you have to be able to hang around for as much as a week. What was interesting were the last two questions they asked on the form (paraphrased):

* Are you an Ivy League graduate?
* Do you know any Ivy League graduates who live in the LA area and who might be interested in appearing on the program? If so, please provide their names and addresses.

Wonder why they want Ivy League grads in particular. :rollin

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 11:37 AM
quick - who's the father of modern warfare?!!?

That's a 5th grade question?

What elitist grammar school did you go to?

And, the answer would be Gustavus Adolphus.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 11:40 AM
During what period of music did Handel compose?

peewee's lovechild
Yasser Arafat would be the father of modern terrorism.

leemajors
That's a 5th grade question?

What elitist grammar school did you go to?

And, the answer would be Gustavus Adolphus.

it was a general question.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Sun Tzu would be the grand dragon of warfare.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 11:42 AM
it was a general question.

We're talking about a Yale graduate who couldn't anwer an elementary question.

The art of warfare is anything but elementary.

mrsmaalox
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM

The olden days.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Was that Baroque?

It's either Baroque or Classical.

jestersmash
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Who's the neanderthal?

That would still be you for starting up an unnecessary quarrel over such a trivial matter. Where the fuck is the class on this forum? I feel like I'm arguing with a bunch of elitist fucking cunts.

By the way why is everyone giving this guy a trivia lesson over the internet? The internet. You know, the place where you can find the answer to virtually any general question you'll ever want to know with the wonders of something called google.com?

leemajors
05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
By the way why is everyone giving this guy a trivia lesson over the internet? The internet. You know, the place where you can find the answer to virtually any general question you'll ever want to know with the wonders of something called google.com?

that was kinda the whole point.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Handel was baroque. Very good.

In what language was the New Testament written?

leemajors
05-02-2008, 01:28 PM

which part? :lol

clambake
05-02-2008, 01:30 PM

pendejada

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Um ... all the NT books. The Gospels, Acts, the Letters, and Revelation. What language are the oldest manuscripts in?

(BTW ... it's not Hebrew. There is a minority of scholars who think Matthew MAY have been originally written in Hebrew.)

Boston Pancake
05-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Um ... all the NT books. The Gospels, Acts, the Letters, and Revelation. What language are the oldest manuscripts in?

(BTW ... it's not Hebrew. There is a minority of scholars who think Matthew MAY have been originally written in Hebrew.)

American.

leemajors
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM

it's a hodgepodge, collected over a few hundred years. technically speaking, any of its separate components could have been written in any number of languages, but first published together in greek.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
American.

Um, no. :lol

English versions first starting appearing in the eighth century.

Boston Pancake
05-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Um, no. :lol

English versions first starting appearing in the eighth century.

You're right, I was thinking of the Koran.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
it's a hodgepodge, collected over a few hundred years. technically speaking, any of its separate components could have been written in any number of languages, but first published together in greek.

What version of Greek?

And no, most of the reputable scholars date the books of the NT to no later than the end of the first century AD, with the possible exception of 2 Peter and Revelation (a few suggest this). We have a few second century MSS (Codex Vaticanus & Sinaiticus) that document that these books had been composed by this time. Put together with the quotes from the Fathers (Irenaeus, Justin, later Tertullian) and you get alot of early documents.

Now ... the stuff that came along over the next couple of hundred years was the hodgepodge.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
You're right, I was thinking of the Koran.

Interestingly, according to Islam, the Koran cannot be translated. It preexisted eternally in Arabic and can only properly be in Arabic. An English translation is considered to be more like a commentary. So we find Moslems who have spent years memorizing the Koran (in Arabic) who do not speak or understand Arabic. That's right. They memorize scriptures they have no hope of understanding.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Okay ... another question. What "kind" of elements are neon, xenon, and helium?

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally, Arameaic if I'm not mistaken (at least the Gospels). There were some books written in Greek. All were translated to Latin later on.

I could be wrong.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 01:49 PM
That would still be you for starting up an unnecessary quarrel over such a trivial matter. Where the fuck is the class on this forum? I feel like I'm arguing with a bunch of elitist fucking cunts.

Hey, douche bag . . . you're bitching about "elitist" and you write like that?

Go fuck yourself, you cunt.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Okay ... another question. What "kind" of elements are neon, xenon, and helium?

Noble gases.

By the way, I was letting out some noble gasses of my own during lunch.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
What version of Greek?

Weren't the gospels written in Arameaic?

That's the language of Jesus and his apostles.

I'll have to look that up.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I checked a couple of sources on the interwebs and some say that the gospels were written in Aramaic (I've been misspelling that) and some say Greek.

Maybe Extra Stout can set us straight.

I've always held that they were written in Aramaic, but I very well could be wrong.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
http://www.v-a.com/bible/

That site says it's Aramaic.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.bible-researcher.com/machan.html

This dude says Greek.

Extra Stout
Weren't the gospels written in Arameaic?

That's the language of Jesus and his apostles.

I'll have to look that up.
The words that actually came out of Jesus' mouth were Aramaic. The four written Gospels were in Greek.

One of the reasons the Greek vocabulary of the NT is not all that extensive, and why the style of writing is wooden and obscure in some places, is because several of the authors were Jews writing in a foreign language, namely Koine Greek, without the benefit of a formal education.

One question a person could ask would be how closely the Greek rendering of Jesus' words comes to what he literally said. I, this week, actually read a well-respected scholar who insisted that we should read Gospel passages as though the authors had done a word-for-word formal-equivalence translation of Jesus' teachings, and that we should try to figure out what Aramaic forms the Greek would be rendering. How he would be certain of the Gospel writers' translation paradigm is beyond me.

peewee's lovechild
Still no clarity on this matter.

Extra Stout
05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
http://www.v-a.com/bible/

That site says it's Aramaic.
Syriac Christians claim that the Peshitta contains the autographs.

Nobody else agrees with them.

The Peshitta is useful for rendering some of Jesus' more blatant Semitisms, for example, the whole thing about gouging your eye out if it causes you to sin is a figurative way of saying, "If looking at women makes you lust, stop looking at them, even though that sounds extreme."

CuckingFunt
05-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Where the fuck is the class on this forum? I feel like I'm arguing with a bunch of elitist fucking cunts.

Lulz.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
The words that actually came out of Jesus' mouth were Aramaic. The four written Gospels were in Greek.

One of the reasons the Greek vocabulary of the NT is not all that extensive, and why the style of writing is wooden and obscure in some places, is because several of the authors were Jews writing in a foreign language, namely Koine Greek, without the benefit of a formal education.

One question a person could ask would be how closely the Greek rendering of Jesus' words comes to what he literally said. I, this week, actually read a well-respected scholar who insisted that we should read Gospel passages as though the authors had done a word-for-word formal-equivalence translation of Jesus' teachings, and that we should try to figure out what Aramaic forms the Greek would be rendering. How he would be certain of the Gospel writers' translation paradigm is beyond me.

I just found a site that said that about Koine Greek, but it also says that some of it was written in Aramaic.

Here's the site:

http://www.bibleteacher.org/greek.htm

It's pretty extensive and I don't have the time to browse through it all.

I'll have to check it out when I have more time.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Syriac Christians claim that the Peshitta contains the autographs.

Nobody else agrees with them.

The Peshitta is useful for rendering some of Jesus' more blatant Semitisms, for example, the whole thing about gouging your eye out if it causes you to sin is a figurative way of saying, "If looking at women makes you lust, stop looking at them, even though that sounds extreme."

I just read that.

This is all pretty interesting.

There's too much info for me to go through.

Extra Stout
05-02-2008, 02:38 PM
One of the fragments of Papias can be interpreted as saying that Matthew composed his Gospel in Aramaic.

bus driver
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM

good point!

:flag::lobt2::flag:

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Did I say a possible Hebrew original for Matthew. Good grief. I meant Aramaic.

But yes, the Gospels, Acts, and Letters were all formally composed in Koine Greek, and have been dated to no later than about 100 (for Revelation and John's writings, possibly), and much earlier for the rest of the NT.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Noble gases.

By the way, I was letting out some noble gasses of my own during lunch.

They weren't noble. Vile, more like.