PDA

View Full Version : Has Finley become too much of a liability?

BonnerDynasty
05-01-2008, 09:57 PM
On defense?

God bless him for his 3's and J's but I'm just saying....

Sausage
05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
He's not the best defensive player. Everytime Diaw had him in the low block he would score, so it was just a matchup problem. You can't put Bruce on him because he was on Nash, and Parker was on Bell.

But he's definitely lost a step, and will probably see the same results this series.

T Park
05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
No more than he has been in the past.

jestersmash
05-01-2008, 10:02 PM
His defense is utter trash but we can't expect all of our players to be super well-rounded.

However, Finley-Diaw was simply a mismatch from the start.

Ginobili's defense is fairly solid overall, and although Diaw didn't push Ginobili around as much as he pushed Finley around, Diaw still scored on Ginobili a reasonable amount of times as well, and Ginobili is certainly not a poor defender (overall when it's not a blatant mismatch) by any stretch of the imagination.

pauls931
05-01-2008, 10:02 PM
I wondered about that. Why did they have him on Diaw? Seems like finley should be guarding a shooting guard. He still lights it up from the 3, but is a far cry from what I remember when he was in Phoenix.

BonnerDynasty
05-01-2008, 10:03 PM
He's not the best defensive player. Everytime Diaw had him in the low block he would score, so it was just a matchup problem. You can't put Bruce on him because he was on Nash, and Parker was on Bell.

But he's definitely lost a step, and will probably see the same results this series.

That was torture watching Diaw get free baskets. Game 5, I was yelling to bring Ime in and he seemed to do a little bit better, but the refs would just not let any Spur even touch Diaw. :bang Did Pop even try to make an adjustment for this problem from game 4 going into game 5? They couldn't really double team/give Finley too much help b/c of Shaq and Amare.

Sausage
05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I wondered about that. Why did they have him on Diaw? Seems like finley should be guarding a shooting guard. He still lights it up from the 3, but is a far cry from what I remember when he was in Phoenix.

If they took Finley and put him on Bell, then Diaw would just abuse Tony Parker just as bad down low.

DespЏrado
05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
He has his moments but for the team no body has beat him out yet.

Udoka is the future and Barry is still not fully reintegrated into the offense but as the playoffs progress I expect the Spurs to use Udoka and Barry to a greater degree, unless Finley can find a way to be consistent.

pauls931
05-01-2008, 10:07 PM
If they took Finley and put him on Bell, then Diaw would just abuse Tony Parker just as bad down low.

I guess the assignments are funny with Bowen on Nash. So if it was parker on nash, then it would have been Bowen on Diaw?

oboymeetsogirl
05-01-2008, 11:02 PM
A liability? Did you notice Pop panicking every time Diaw posted up and threw in those baby hooks against Fin? Absolutely not... the idea was to *let* the Suns funnel their offense into Diaw. It was this -- plus the Hack-a-Shaq -- that got the ball out of Nash's hands, making the Nash/Stoudemire two-man game disappear for entire quarters at a time. The Suns themselves admit (with the wisdom of hindsight) that the strategy worked like a charm.

I know you've been watching the Spurs for years, man, but you should be used to Pop's subtle manipulation of opponents' team dynamics. Personally, I thought it was a thing of beauty in that last round. Now let's see what he cooks up for the talent laden Hornets...

peskypesky
05-01-2008, 11:03 PM
the refs didn't allow anyone to defend Diaw. he would just catch a pass, back into his defender, and a foul was called on Finley or Udoka or whoever. i've never seen anything like it.

let's give finley a chance in this next series before we send him out to pasture.

yaicu2
05-01-2008, 11:16 PM
A liability? Did you notice Pop panicking every time Diaw posted up and threw in those baby hooks against Fin? Absolutely not... the idea was to *let* the Suns funnel their offense into Diaw. It was this -- plus the Hack-a-Shaq -- that got the ball out of Nash's hands, making the Nash/Stoudemire two-man game disappear for entire quarters at a time. The Suns themselves admit (with the wisdom of hindsight) that the strategy worked like a charm.

I know you've been watching the Spurs for years, man, but you should be used to Pop's subtle manipulation of opponents' team dynamics. Personally, I thought it was a thing of beauty in that last round. Now let's see what he cooks up for the talent laden Hornets...

Well said. Posting Diaw down low, also took away tons of 3-point oppurtunities. If your Nash, and you see the mismatch, your gonna give it to him, and you get Nash, Bell just watching from afar with :nope no chance of shooting a 3-pointer, because Diaw is gonna take the shot everytime instead of kicking it back out.

Fuck Phil, he ain't got shit on Pop.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Finley's always been a liability on defense. He has long stretches of competence now and flashes of brilliance. As long as he's drawing off defenders, shooting when open, and not playing the 4 position, he's fine.

timvp
05-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Finley's always been a liability on defense. He has long stretches of competence now and flashes of brilliance. As long as he's drawing off defenders, shooting when open, and not playing the 4 position, he's fine.Agreed.

He's only a liability when he stops hitting shots to the point other teams ignore him. As long as he's shooting well enough to be respected, he's not a liability.

Finley was poor against Diaw but that isn't too surprising. However, if he matches up with players like Bonzi Wells and Lamar Odom in upcoming rounds, he'll need to be stronger against post players.

wijayas
05-02-2008, 01:29 AM
On defense?

God bless him for his 3's and J's but I'm just saying....

Win some, lose some. Remember 8 three-pointers he hung on the Nuggets last year?

SenorSpur
05-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Finley's always been a liability on defense. He has long stretches of competence now and flashes of brilliance. As long as he's drawing off defenders, shooting when open, and not playing the 4 position, he's fine.

Exactly. He hasn't lost a step defensively. He never had it to begin with.

If he's not hitting his jumper, his time on the floor is useless.

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Win some, lose some. Remember 8 three-pointers he hung on the Nuggets last year?

How about just remember games 1 and 2?

Once again, Finley's clutch shooting helps the Spurs get out of the first round.

dafreestyleking1.5
05-02-2008, 02:28 AM
He is a liability. Ever since he stole Mark Cuban's money, he has lost all desire to work or play basketball. It's once in every blue moon that he would hit a three pointer. No one on the Mavericks squad misses him.

ChumpDumper
05-02-2008, 02:28 AM
The Mavs are missing the rest of the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2008, 05:59 AM
He is a liability. Ever since he stole Mark Cuban's money, he has lost all desire to work or play basketball. It's once in every blue moon that he would hit a three pointer. No one on the Mavericks squad misses him.

Since he's the first one out shooting before just about every Spurs game, I'd say that you are incorrect.

I'm sure there are many Mavs fans sitting at home today thinking "well at least we have the luxury tax savings".

Obstructed_View
05-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Exactly. He hasn't lost a step defensively. He never had it to begin with.

If he's not hitting his jumper, his time on the floor is useless.
Welllll, he was a really good defender before he played for Don Nelson, but I agree with you to an extent. He hasn't really lost a step, he just doesn't step as often as he used to. He has really played some good defense at times against guys you wouldn't expect him to match up well with.

Howevuh, I agree that if he's not hitting his shots, you might as well have Bowen in the game and have a shot at saving your +/-.

Allanon
05-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Finley used to be a quick explosive player, now he's a great clutch shooter but a liability on defense. He still makes those dagger 3s in crunch time so he's good to have around.

I wonder who he will be guarding in the Hornet series...Mo Pete or Peja? I'd think Bowen would spend time on CP3, if not he could cover Peja, Finley on Mo Pete and Tony on CP3.

Finley on Mo Pete should be just fine.

Tony on CP3 and vice versa should be very intriguing.

SpurAddict561
05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
ya, I just hope when they bring in Bonzi that Pop takes Finley out or at least off him

cuz he's gonna use him just like Diaw....but I still love Fin, he's hit alot of big shots for us.

GinobiliLooms
05-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Michael Finley is a fuckin stud and has been super clutch for the Spurs. He's never been known as a great defender but at least he works at it and puts in the effort.

Reggie Miller
05-02-2008, 09:35 AM

That's how I saw it. Pop doesn't try to win the game by winning every matchup, just the critical ones.

IMHO, the Suns lost because: 1) Nash was ineffective, largely due to the strategy above ^; and 2) While they have improved on defense, there was nowhere to go but up, so too little too late.

Cry Havoc
05-02-2008, 09:49 AM

+475 You are officially one of my favorite posters from this response alone.

I was so happy they were using Diaw (I actually typed Diaq.... lolz) to score.

Consider that, for a second. The Suns were using Diaw exclusively to get points.

That's basically D'antoni admitting that he was scared of our D. At that very second the Suns were beaten in Game 5. Because D'antoni trusted Diaw with the ball more than Steve Nash to get points.

In defense of Finley, how many late-30s Shooting Guards would be able to even stay with Diaw in the post? Seriously guys, that's like blaming Barbosa for not being able to contain Duncan in the block. I mean, wtf. :lol

oboymeetsogirl
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
... and besides, every six or seven games Fin goes off for 20+. All depends on what the other teams "give." When the Big Three are wreaking habit in the paint, sooner or later players (and coaches) are straying off shooters like Fin, Barry and Bruce (and Horry, when he's in there), and then all hell breaks loose from the outside.

You have to give props to the Suns, though, for absolutely not giving in to that temptation, even when they were losing. In the first round defenders were sticking to Fin and Bruce like glue, refusing to let them beat them with treys. My question is, will the Hornets be as disciplined? We'll see how Scott maps out this defense...

Ishta
05-02-2008, 10:50 AM
NO, but that's just my opinion. This is a stupid thread. Fin is not a great defensive player, but he is NOT BAD, unlike the majority of the Suns team give me a flippin break.

rAm
05-02-2008, 11:11 AM

wow, never even thought of it like that. fucking genius.

I remember the suns players complaining that they wish they hadn't switched up their strategy from how they played in the regular season. D'Antoni is bad.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
If Fin hadn't hit that 3 with 15 seconds left in game one against Phoenix there would never have been the Timmy 3 ball, or Manu's winning runner. He hit another clutch 3 with about three minutes left in that game to tie it. Spurs lose game one and that series is completely different......and we wouldn't have won it without his contributions.

I guess you can call him a liability if you want to. Good call. :tu