PDA

View Full Version : Avery got screwed

DriveFor5
05-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I am not a big fan of the Mavs organization but I feel bad for Avery and Dirk. They have so many other guys in that organization that have shown no sportsmanship and class (Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse, Mark Cuban) that we forget that Avery and Dirk are two individuals with class who deserve a shot at success.

It blows my mind that they would let Avery go when the real people they need to be shipping out are Terry, Howard, and Stackhouse. Those guys hurt any chances of a championship because of their un-sportsmanlike conduct and lack of class on the court.

Avery was Coach of the Year, took Dallas to the Finals, coached a 67-win regular season, fastest coach in history to 50 wins, he has championship experience with SA, etc....it's crazy to think that a coach that has done this in a short span of time would just be let go.....it's not his fault. It's because of the lack of class and sportsmanship that he has to coach outside of Dirk.

Avery, you're more than welcome to come join the Spurs staff.

Deuces88
05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Avery coached them to the finals...then to best record in the NBA...then to a nice 50+ win season. That's terrible coaching! Fire him! :lmao

I can see that they're annoyed with losing but it's definitely not Avery's fault, it's the players. However, with any organization, if the team isn't producing like they want to, they always blame the people in charge, so Avery has to take the fall.

DriveFor5
05-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Dallas will only get worse. In fact they will miss the playoffs next year. They're team is getting blown up this summer.

Findog
05-01-2008, 11:00 PM
1) Dallas does not have a championship roster. Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich and Jerry Sloan wouldn't win a title with our personnel. So you can't blame Avery that the Mavs aren't preparing for the Spurs right now.

2) Swapping out coaches isn't sufficient in this case, but it's necessary. Avery is a grind 'em down type and an overcoacher, and he lost the locker room in Dallas. He's also got some huge faults when it comes to X's and O's and in-game adjustments, considering how badly he was worked over by Nellie and Riley.

3) He inherited a perennial 55+ win team that routinely made it out of the first round and he departs with the team a mess and unable to actually compete in the playoffs. He deserves some blame for that.

4) He'll land on his feet and learn from his mistakes and do better in his next gig.

5) Absolutely do not care what you think about Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Mark Cuban's "lack" of sportsmanship and class.

Findog
05-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Avery coached them to the finals...then to best record in the NBA...then to a nice 50+ win season. That's terrible coaching! Fire him! :lmao

I can see that they're annoyed with losing but it's definitely not Avery's fault, it's the players. However, with any organization, if the team isn't producing like they want to, they always blame the people in charge, so Avery has to take the fall.

You literally have paid no attention to the Mavs. There's a reason Avery got fired, and it was well-deserved. The Mavs are far from a title team, but they underachieved the past 12 months and he lost this team.

Shaolin-Style
05-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I paid attention to the mavs.

Until they traded for Kidd.

Then I knew that team was fucked. Devin Harris meshed much better with that team.

Avery got fired because someone else fucked up the team and had a handful of troublesome asshole wannabe superstars like Josh Howard screw him over.

Findog
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I paid attention to the mavs.

Until they traded for Kidd.

Then I knew that team was fucked. Devin Harris meshed much better with that team.

Avery got fired because someone else fucked up the team and had a handful of troublesome asshole wannabe superstars like Josh Howard screw him over.

Avery was completely on board with the Kidd trade, and he deserves blame for barking out plays from the sideline on every possession like Kidd is a 7th grader playing basketball for the first time in a YMCA youth league.

Are you saying Avery didn't do a shitty job with this team the past season?

Red Hawk #21
05-01-2008, 11:14 PM
DriveFor5 and Deuces88 posts make no sense, You guys say the un-sportsmanlike conduct and lack of class on the court of Jason Terry? Really?, I think you dont watch Mavs games, I dont watch too many Mavs games but I watch enough to see that Jet is a class act. And I also know Jet is a class act because he played here in the ATL. I cant understand the Jet hate, you can hate J-ho and Stack but to hate Jet is stupid.

And you guys say Avery wasn't wrong?! You have failed. So it was right when Avery didn't let Marquis daniels and Devin harris grow?, it was right when he let Josh Howard take foolish jumpshot after jumpshot?, he was right when he benched Kidd vs the spurs?, he was right for trying to turn Dirk into Duncan?. he was right when he didn't use a highly effective Marquis daniels more in the finals? he was right for playing bass at center? he was right for turning a young athletic team into washed up veterans? I barely watch Mavs season games but when I do I always see him do something stupid. If you think Avery did a good job in Dallas then you are as delusional as he is.

Findog
05-01-2008, 11:16 PM
^ They hate Terry because he punched Michael Finley in the nuts during a playoff game. Terry has expressed regret for it, there was no excuses, it was a shitty thing to do, but he's a class act off the court, and he has heart. Along with Bass and Dirk, he was the only Mav to show up against the Hornets.

He's not a franchise player or a star, but you win titles with guys like him.

Roxsfan
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Who cares, its in the past.

I hope Avery does well in the future.

As long as the mavs are owned by cuban, they will never do anything positive........bookit.

Deuces88
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't watch Mavs regular season games because there is no reason for me to. Avery coached them pretty well, but the blame isn't on him. People need to stop staring at the coach all the time and put some of the blame on the players.

Of course Avery is gonna be barking plays, he's the goddamn coach.

Findog
05-01-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't watch Mavs regular season games because there is no reason for me to. Avery coached them pretty well, but the blame isn't on him. People need to stop staring at the coach all the time and put some of the blame on the players.

Seriously, you don't get it. Pop does not bark all game long and hold Timmy's hand.

Findog
05-01-2008, 11:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=MavsCoach-080501

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't watch Mavs regular season games because there is no reason for me to.

So you admit ignorance on the subject? How the hell would you know if Avery is a good coach if you admit you don't watch him coach?

Red Hawk #21
05-01-2008, 11:29 PM

If you watched a few Mavs games you would see what I'm talking about but since you don't I ain't mad at ya. But when Dallas got screwed by Bennett Salvatore and Stern in the 2006 finals everyone said Dirk choked. I'm a big fan of both D-wade and Dirk but I think that finals was unfair to the Mavs, so many Bs calls , so many freethrows for Miami. No one ever dissed Avery in that series but in reality he got outcoached. But Dirk took all the blame.

Then he got outcoached again by Don Nelson the next year and Dirk took all the blame for that series again. This season is when Many people began to question Avery, if the Mavs lost games the immediate response was "Dirk Choked" but in reality Avery was killing the team with his dictatorship, stupid rotations and his love for vets. People began to realize that Dirk was not the problem with team, he was really the heart and the leader of the team. Avery was the cancer. Thats why he got fired. Just some thoughts from a hawks fan.

Deuces88
05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
So you admit ignorance on the subject? How the hell would you know if Avery is a good coach if you admit you don't watch him coach?

Because of what he does in the postseason aka the part that matters. Him getting them to finals, best record, and another 50+ win season is good enough. The post-season is where things matter and we starts to see the faults of teams.

You still don't realize that the season doesn't really matter. Certain teams will almost always (if not always) make the playoffs without trying their hardest.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Because of what he does in the postseason aka the part that matters.

Agreed.

Him getting them to finals

That was great but the team still melted down and Avery had no answer on for that.

best record

Um, you just said regular season doesn't matter.

They suffered the worst playoff upset in modern professional sports history after that best record. Isn't that what matters?

and another 50+ win season is good enough

According to your words, no it isn't.

Losing to a team with virtually zero playoff experience in 5 games isn't good enough.

You still don't realize that the season doesn't really matter.

Sorry but it seems like you don't.

Deuces88
05-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Agreed.

That was great but the team still melted down and Avery had no answer on for that.

Um, you just said regular season doesn't matter.

They suffered the worst playoff upset in modern professional sports history after that best record. Isn't that what matters?

According to your words, no it isn't.

Losing to a team with virtually zero playoff experience in 5 games isn't good enough.

Sorry but it seems like you don't.

The regular season does not indeed matter. I don't have to watch any of those regular season games because they don't prove much. The ending record does prove something about the team. However, the real test is in the playoffs. I guess you couldn't understand that. I'm not surprised.

They lost to an 8th seed but it wasn't as big of an upset. Mavericks just don't match-up well against the Warriors. Warriors are a fast, sharpshooting team that played good 1-on-1 defense. It was hard for the Mavs to deal with them is all.

But I'm not really here to defend the Mavs. My point was that the players were to blame as Avery showed he could coach them to a respectable standing in the playoffs. However, the players need to step-up in the post-season. The coach isn't the one handling the ball. Of course, you don't understand that either.

Findog
05-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Avery didn't do a good job, the roster in two years went from young and athletic to old and slow, and the expectations for some of the players that the team was counting on went up in smoke, so to speak. It would be wrong to think that firing Avery solves all of the Mavs problems, they run much deeper than that.

It would be equally wrong to think that Avery got a raw deal, since he's getting a nice golden parachute and he coached his way out of Dallas by being a tyrant. He's gone for the same reason Scott Skiles got busted out in Chicago. You can only grind on your guys for so long and get undressed by more veteran coaches with skins on the wall in May and June before it's time to go.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM
The regular season does not indeed matter. I don't have to watch any of those regular season games because they don't prove much. The ending record does prove something about the team. However, the real test is in the playoffs. I guess you couldn't understand that. I'm not surprised.

They lost to an 8th seed but it wasn't as big of an upset. Mavericks just don't match-up well against the Warriors. Warriors are a fast, sharpshooting team that played good 1-on-1 defense. It was hard for the Mavs to deal with them is all.

But I'm not really here to defend the Mavs. My point was that the players were to blame as Avery showed he could coach them to a respectable standing in the playoffs. However, the players need to step-up in the post-season. The coach isn't the one handling the ball. Of course, you don't understand that either.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

Deuces88
05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

A guy who obviously doesn't play basketball posting some random quote. Hmmm, what does this scream? I think we all know. Good job :rollin

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
A guy who obviously doesn't play basketball posting some random quote. Hmmm, what does this scream? I think we all know. Good job :rollin

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Avery didn't get screwed. He inherited a talented basketball team on the brink of a championship built by Don and Donnie Nelson and managed to completely destroy it in 2 short years.

JoeTait75
05-02-2008, 12:24 AM
He had to go. The implosion against Golden State was all, or at any rate mainly, on Avery. The Josh Howard situation indicated he was losing his team. Avery deserves respect for surviving in the league as long as he did with his skill set and for what he accomplished at the outset of his coaching career in Dallas, but he's a little caesar, and that type tends to have a short shelf life in one place. He can go elsewhere- Chicago maybe- and be successful. But he was finished in Dallas IMO.

dav4463
05-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Jet plays with class ??? !!!!:lmao:lmao:lmao

Let's see......in Atlanta...tossed for throwing elbows..... in Dallas.....punched Finley in the balls......body-slammed Baron Davis.......yeah, real classy!:lol

Findog
05-02-2008, 12:26 AM
He had to go. The implosion against Golden State was all, or at any rate mainly, on Avery. The Josh Howard situation indicated he was losing his team. Avery deserves respect for surviving in the league as long as he did with his skill set and for what he accomplished at the outset of his coaching career in Dallas, but he's a little caesar, and that type tends to have a short shelf life in one place. He can go elsewhere- Chicago maybe- and be successful. But he was finished in Dallas IMO.

Cosigned. Avery did some very good things in Dallas, and he can't be blamed for the Mavs failing to win a title this year, but his usefulness was at an end.

SpursDynasty
05-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I think the Mavs getting handed the 2006 Spurs series was the worst thing that could ever happen to that franchise. Then they got a false sense of being championship contenders. Players getting traded off, coaches getting fired, etc...They should have won the NOH series. I still say that NOH is fake, Chris Paul is fake, all of their shots are fake, and the Spurs will simply sweep them.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Cosigned. Avery did some very good things in Dallas, and he can't be blamed for the Mavs failing to win a title this year, but his usefulness was at an end.

Playing devil's advocate, maybe he can. I don't trust Mark Cuban, but there's really no reason not to believe Donn Nelson when he says they unanimously wanted Jason Kidd, and states it absolutely. You yourself said Barea wasn't going to cut it as a classic point guard and there's ample evidence that Harris wasn't what AJ wanted from the position. Though I have a really hard time accepting that Kidd is what he wanted, the reports of him saying he wanted a point guard were out there. There's also evidence, before and after the firing, that AJ's been kind of a two faced snake who will say things that make him look good. Not exactly Dave Campo, but pointing that direction. Jason Kidd was a disaster, and AJ was either on board with it, or he failed to put a stop to it, so he's responsible for it. If nothing else, he obviously didn't believe enough in Harris to put up a fight (I'd have resigned before allowing that trade).

He certainly never figured out how to get this group to decide that the playoffs were important other than that one series against San Antonio, and maybe Smallball© was as bad as some of us thought it was, so he deserves the rap for the body of work, which is a losing playoff record. The loss of the "defense first" mentality was also troublesome, as it really didn't seem to be the focus this year.

He was never able to prevent the Spurs from being upset in the playoffs until Mario Elie came along, and even Mario wasn't enough to save him as a coach.

Harry Callahan
05-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't know where Dallas can go for a coach when the candidates know about the toxic environment created by the owner.

For all the good things Cuban can create with his wealth, he cancels it out with the constant meddling.

The coaches with a markedly better resume than Avery are few and far between. Clear cut upgrades (ie Prima Donna Phillip Jackson, Pop, Jerry Sloan) are not available and would want no part of Cuban.

Cuban will pay the new coach well, because he has to with all of the aggravation he will create the new guy.

A Rick Carlile (sp?) or Mike Dunleavy might work for them.

san antonio spurs
05-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Cuban is a fan of the mavs and likes being involved with them but I doubt he wants to participate in coaching or finding players. He's very much visible and most of the times makes himself an ass, but as a business man he knows to let the people he pays do their job because they are qualified.

sribb43
05-02-2008, 10:29 AM
3-12 last 15 playoff games..0-9 on the road..nuff said

LEONARD
05-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I think the Mavs getting handed the 2006 Spurs series was the worst thing that could ever happen to that franchise. Then they got a false sense of being championship contenders. Players getting traded off, coaches getting fired, etc...They should have won the NOH series. I still say that NOH is fake, Chris Paul is fake, all of their shots are fake, and the Spurs will simply sweep them.

Whoops on that sweep bit...

and how was it handed to the Mavs in '06??? :lol

There's no such thing as an upset in the NBA. That is why there are 7 game series'. Better team always wins, that's why the first round was expanded to 7 games.

The better team ALWAYS wins a 7 game series Jeff...l