PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Horry In Search Of Sweet Ending With Spurs

duncan228
05-02-2008, 12:45 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.050208.1DSpurs.en.3daf2bf.html

NBA: Horry in search of sweet ending with Spurs
By Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

The ball found Robert Horry on the left wing and, for a split second, it was 2005 all over again.

He raised up, uncoiling that long, familiar shooting stroke, and — as he had countless times in countless postseasons — lofted the Spalding toward the rim.

Horry's first field goal of these playoffs — in a Game 4 loss to Phoenix in the first round — didn't mean quite as much as other big shots fired in a career full of them. And yet, in the context of a farewell season that hasn't gone to plan, it meant everything.

“That game helped me a lot, because I got to play 20 minutes,” said Horry, who missed the final 13 games of the regular season with a bruised knee. “I shook off a lot of rust. I'm feeling good.”

A feeling-good Horry is a luxury for the Spurs as they head into the Western Conference semifinal series against New Orleans. It is also a luxury they haven't been afforded too often this year.

This season was supposed to be Horry's final loop around the NBA, his last step toward retirement, and it was supposed to be triumphant.

He'd spent 16 seasons Forrest Gumping his way through the league, collecting championship rings and clutch-shooting credentials in Houston, Los Angeles and San Antonio.

He has won more NBA titles than any active player (seven), made more playoff 3-pointers than any player in history and played in more playoff games than anybody outside of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

This season was supposed to be the cherry on top of all of that.

Instead, Horry spent almost half of it on the bench in a suit, disguised as the world's tallest accountant, collecting dust and rust.

“A frustrating year,” he said.

Horry, one of the most renowned playoff marksmen in NBA history, missed almost all the preseason dealing with a family emergency in Houston.

He didn't officially begin his farewell tour until Dec. 2. Then it was a strained hamstring here, a bruised knee there, always something to keep him sidelined.

Horry played in just 45 games during the regular season, averaging a career-low 2.5 points. The season-long ordeal, Horry jokes, has him re-thinking his retirement.

“The year was so crazy, so messed up, I can't end like that,” Horry said. “I've got to play four or five more years now.”

With Game 1 of the conference semifinal looming Saturday, the Spurs will be happy if they can get another good couple of weeks out of the 37-year-old reserve forward.

If the Phoenix series is any indication, Horry still has something to offer.

In Game 2, he made his first appearance since suffering a knee contusion on March 21. He didn't score, but did have an athletic block of Shaquille O'Neal that made him feel young again.

He knocked down a 3-pointer in Games 4 and 5, making the most of his minutes.

“You can see he's starting to turn a corner,” Tim Duncan said.

Horry and Brent Barry, another injury-riddled veteran of past Spurs' championship runs, both saw action against the Suns. As such, the Spurs' bench is longer now than it was before the playoffs began.

“They're in better shape now than they were,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “They're more available than they were in the first series.”

For Horry, every game counts. He needs to play in just five more to break Jabbar's all-time mark of 237 postseason appearances.

Even if he never makes another basket wearing silver and black, Horry will forever be remembered in Spurs lore.

It was his Hail Mary 3-pointer that forced overtime against Detroit in Game 5 of the 2005 NBA Finals, nudging the Spurs toward the pivotal victory in their quest for a third title.

Horry's teammates are confident there is another big playoff moment coming for the man known as “Big Shot Rob.”

“You never know what's going to happen,” point guard Tony Parker said, “but I know I'd rather have him on my team.”

Horry can only hope his farewell season ends better than it began. In the back of his mind, he envisions one last parting shot.

The ball will find him in another clutch moment. He will uncoil that familiar shooting stroke. What happens next, one can only guess.

Horry says he knows.

“But I can't tell you, because it will mess up my book,” he said.

boutons_
05-02-2008, 12:48 AM
"One of those little things" of Robert stepping a swapping the ball off Nash at the end Game5 was a clutch play.

Mr. Body
05-02-2008, 12:52 AM
He'd spent 16 seasons Forrest Gumping his way through the league, collecting championship rings and clutch-shooting credentials in Houston, Los Angeles and San Antonio.

And not in Phoenix.

milkyway21
05-02-2008, 12:53 AM
I really think Big Shot Rob will finally retire this yr..

G-Nob
05-02-2008, 01:38 AM
It was his Hail Mary 3-pointer that forced overtime against Detroit in Game 5 of the 2005 NBA Finals, nudging the Spurs toward the pivotal victory in their quest for a third title.

Go back and check your facts, McDonald. It was horry's go ahead 3 that won the game in overtime. :rolleyes

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Go back and check your facts, McDonald. It was horry's go ahead 3 that won the game in overtime. :rolleyes

Im sure its just a typo.

Glass houses sir.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-02-2008, 02:04 AM
BZdik09RGJI

:smokin

ca®lo
05-02-2008, 04:32 AM
BZdik09RGJI

man... this never gets old.

i still got goosebumps after watching!

:flag::flag::flag:

m33p0
05-02-2008, 04:36 AM
And not in Phoenix.
towel to ainge's face was clutch. :lol

Shaolin-Style
05-02-2008, 04:51 AM
Yeah that turnover he forced was big in game 5.

I always smile when I think about him knocking Nash into the scorers table. Of course I like the clean clutch 3s too. Hopefully hes got a few more moments left in him this year.

JPB
05-02-2008, 04:54 AM
BZdik09RGJI

What a poor defense by the pistons on the inbound pass... on a guy who was red hot from the 3 pt line.

They must wanna vomit when they're seeing this again.

bus driver
05-02-2008, 10:03 AM
man... this never gets old.

i still got goosebumps after watching!

:flag::flag::flag:

+1 :tu

:flag::lobt2::flag:

Harry Callahan
05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Is this new guy the laziest beat writer ever at the EN. He can't get simple facts correct like the Game Winning three Horry hit. The express news must be over their salary cap right now and needed to get someone for the veteran minimum.

thispego
05-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Im sure its just a typo.

Glass houses sir.

why do you constantly defend mcdonald? is he your friend or something? He seriously seriously sucks as the spurs beat writer. He constantly makes errors and writes as if he's been following the team since the summer of '07

RashoFan
05-02-2008, 11:03 AM
BSR is pimp. Thanks for posting the vid Tim-Manu best of frwiends!

MrChug
05-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm fucking SORRY. Robert Horry is the best one on one matchup against David West in this next series IF HE TRIES TO PLAY and we can no longer just let him hang around to "try" to hit a big shot. If his old ass thinks he's gravy-training to another ring, he doesn't deserve to win another 'chip. Furthermore, he doesn't deserve even a nod at the HOF.