PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on Splitter, Mahinmi, and Javtokas

Gooshie
05-02-2008, 09:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=whittelleurofinalfoupreview080502

Three players, at three different stages of their careers, come together in Madrid this weekend, all with the NBA looming large on their horizons.

The question, in the cases of Tiago Splitter, David Andersen and Omri Casspi is what effect will this weekend's Euroleague Final Four have on their careers on the other side of the Atlantic?

The culmination of the European season arrives at the Community of Madrid Sports Palace, starting Friday, when Splitter's Spanish team Tau Ceramica take on favorites CSKA Moscow, featuring Andersen, in the second semifinal.

Before that, Casspi's Maccabi Tel Aviv and Italy's Montepaschi Siena face off for the right to play in Sunday's final and, as is by now customary, every NBA team will have one, and possibly up to half a dozen, personnel on hand to witness the highest level of club basketball outside North America.

This is not an occasion for weak hearts. Reputations, careers even, have been made or lost at Final Fours where the fervent, passionate, soccer-style crowds test even the strongest nerves.

Last season, some experts believed Splitter looked overwhelmed as Tau lost to hosts Panathinaikos in the semifinal yet, of the "NBA three" in action this weekend, his appears the most clear-cut future.

The San Antonio Spurs still took Splitter 28th in last year's draft, a decision that appears to have been more than justified by his form in helping Tau return to a fourth consecutive Final Four this weekend.

Splitter, as he told espn.com before the Euroleague season even started, fully intends to be with Spurs in camp later this year and no evidence from either Tau, Texas or Tiago himself has emerged to contradict that analysis.

"The NBA is something I have in my mind," says Splitter. "I want to finish the season here then we will see better. But, for sure, it would be the best way to go over to the NBA, winning the Euroleague, proving you are a great player and earning the respect of the NBA."

Splitter's coach, the highly-regarded Croatian Neven Spahija is, coincidentally, a friend of Spurs' G.M. RC Buford, not that he is volunteering a detailed scouting analysis at this point.

"It will be a very interesting conversation with R.C.," laughs Spahija. "When anything bad happens with players I recommend, it's my fault; whenever the players are good, it is because R.C. is a great scout!"

"But Tiago has had his best ever season and I really appreciate the job he has done for us. He has taken the next step in his career but is he ready for the NBA? It is difficult to say, you never know how players will adjust."

Whatever the outcome with Splitter, however, the Spurs have an embarrassment of Euro riches waiting in the wings, along with the 6'11", 23-year-old forward-center from Brazil.

Frenchman Ian Mahimni is an almost identical build to Splitter (same height, six pounds lighter at 230) and coming off an exceptional year in the NBA Development League with the Austin Toros, having averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds a game.

Iowa Energy coach Nick Nurse, who has has spent much of his career in Europe and is currently an assistant with the GB national team has seen Mahimni ten times this season. "He's got all the talent in the world," says Nurse.

"He's extremely talented, athletic, shoots it facing up and he has some good fight in his game. At the end of the season he was banged up and wasn't 100 per cent but he was still right in there, battling.

"Of course, being ready for the NBA and being ready to make it onto the Spurs are two different things and he needs more experience and to get more physical. But he showed some flashes of sheer brilliance this season."

To further cloud the issue, 28-year-old Luthuanian Robertas Javtokas, having been buried deep on the bench at Panathinaikos last season, is coming off an exceptional season with Russian team Dynamo Moscow.

"Javtokas should have been in the NBA two years ago," says a European scout. "But he took the decision for his family to take the money at Panathinaikos and that held back his opportunities. Now, he's one of the better bigs available over here."

For the Spurs, therefore, never a club to shy away from international players, this summer could be a particularly interesting one.

"International guys all develop in different ways," says Buford. "We have seen that happen here at the Spurs with Manu (Ginobili), (Luis) Scola, (Gordan) Giricek and Tony (Parker). All came to the NBA by different routes.

"There is not a formula that is perfect, that works for every individual. But we like all three of these guys and we think they can all be productive players in the NBA."

The case of CSKA's 6'11" forward-center David Andersen is less clear cut. Drafted in the second round by the Atlanta Hawks six years ago, his talks with the NBA team have never progressed because of their unwillingness to match anywhere near the money the Australian-Dane has been able to command over nine years in Europe ... five in Italy and the last four in Moscow.

"Last year, David was coming off a major injury," says CSKA coach Ettore Messina of Andersen, 27, who suffered an appalling broken leg, dislocated ankle and ruptured ligaments that cost him most of the 2005-06 season.

"It was very difficult for him but this year he has moved back to the position he likes best [center] which is a position he interprets in a very personal way. He is a center who can shoot from outside, he has a lot of versatility, shooting from outside and posting up his man.

"This was probably his best season at CSKA. But he will be out of contract and, as for the NBA, why not, if he plays for a team that needs his special ability? He's not a 'muscle' player, he's more a finesse player who can spread the floor with his jump shot and can get points inside."

Says Andersen himself: "I haven't really made a decision (on the NBA). I'm pretty open to things at the moment. I'm exploring my options, my agent is talking to people but, like any player, you dream of playing at the highest level."

Casspi, at 19, is the youngest of the trio and, given his undrafted status, will be of most interest to NBA scouts in Madrid. Although limited to 11 minutes a game in Euroleague, his playing time increased after Zvi Sherf took over coaching duties in January and his 4.6 points and 23 rebounds a game were of higher quality than the basic numbers suggest.

Sources say that Casspi has let it be known that if the signs are he will be a first round pick, his name will remain in the 2008 draft. Some observers believe he is worth a lower first round pick and a strong showing this weekend could cement that view.

"I'm not thinking about it at all, tomorrow is the biggest game of my career," said Casspi. "But my contract is finished at the end of the season and everything is open. For now, I just don't think about it, I think about the next game."

The teenager, who turns 20 in June, was already on NBA radar after a strong showing on the World Select team that was outclassed by a strong US national junior team, featuring college stand-outs Michael Beasley, Kevin Love and O.J. Mayo at the Nike Hoop Summit in Memphis 13 months ago.

"Omri is a hard-nosed, no-nonsense type of player who could be an excellent role player in the NBA," says former Australian national teams coach Rob Beveridge who coached Casspi that week. "He can knock down the three and is good in the open court and in his finishing. But I think his biggest strength is his mental toughness and his desire to win."

In short, the very qualities which Casspi, Splitter, Andersen and all other Final Four combatants will need this weekend.

Ian Whittell covers basketball for The Times of London.

Rummpd
05-02-2008, 09:38 AM
And the forecasted demise of the Spurs keeps getting put on hold - Ian and Tiago will both be on the Spurs next year in at least some role and as for the Lithuanian - bring him over for a look if possible.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Ian and Tiago both need to be apart of the rotation next season

Harry Callahan
05-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Javtokas was out of the picture, I thought. Interesting. This next generation of players are coming soon. It might work out well. If we could only clone Timmy.

Mr. Body
05-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I didn't realize ESPN published good articles on international basketball like that.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Hopefully, attention like this will give Javtokas' rights some value on the trade market. He doesn't appear to be in the Spurs' plans at the moment.

Seems Casspi really wants to get out of Maccabi and play overseas next year.

K-State Spur
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
And the forecasted demise of the Spurs keeps getting put on hold - Ian and Tiago will both be on the Spurs next year in at least some role and as for the Lithuanian - bring him over for a look if possible.

I don't think Javtokas would come without a guaranteed contract. And - while we do need some young(er) players - I can't see the team going with 3 rookie bigs on the roster next year.

The Duncan/Manu/Tony championship window won't be closed, and you're looking at Tim/Fab/Bonner/Ian already being under contract. If they bring Thomas back (at a reduced rate), that really only leaves room for Splitter (unless they can move Bonner).

Indazone
05-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah Spurs just reload and keep going. If these guys pan out which I think they will, you need to start looking at developing a great young pt guard as Ginobili and Parker age.

vander
05-02-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't think Javtokas would come without a guaranteed contract. And - while we do need some young(er) players - I can't see the team going with 3 rookie bigs on the roster next year.

The Duncan/Manu/Tony championship window won't be closed, and you're looking at Tim/Fab/Bonner/Ian already being under contract. If they bring Thomas back (at a reduced rate), that really only leaves room for Splitter (unless they can move Bonner).

I don't see Thomas coming back, which is too bad, I'd rather have the young guys learning from Thomas than Fabs. :bang

and Bonner needs to stay, he's not as bad as Pop is making him appear.

K-State Spur
05-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't see Thomas coming back, which is too bad, I'd rather have the young guys learning from Thomas than Fabs. :bang

why is that?

whether everybody would agree with the move or not, i could definitely see the team offering him a 2/6 type deal. Being a role player who will play next year at 36, I don't think he'd nab much more on the open market.

Bartleby
05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah Spurs just reload and keep going. If these guys pan out which I think they will, you need to start looking at developing a great young pt guard as Ginobili and Parker age.

Manu, yes (as if he could ever be replaced), but Parker is still very young, even for a PG.

Mr. Body
05-02-2008, 11:14 AM

and Bonner needs to stay, he's not as bad as Pop is making him appear.

Kurt Thomas should come back. He's a perfect fit for the team and the team is perfect for him. I can see no other place in the NBA that provides playoff runs and starting opportunities.

Bonner is lousy. If he was unable to cut it this year, next year will be no different.

Flux451
05-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Kurt Thomas should come back. He's a perfect fit for the team and the team is perfect for him. I can see no other place in the NBA that provides playoff runs and starting opportunities.

Bonner is lousy. If he was unable to cut it this year, next year will be no different.

I agree Thomas willl come back. He is a great assest to the team. Like every year. Pop will reduce mins of older players in reg season.

Bonner isn't lousy, just streaky. He makes a lot of mental errors. I think they should trade him.

SenorSpur
05-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree Thomas willl come back. He is a great assest to the team. Like every year. Pop will reduce mins of older players in reg season.

Bonner isn't lousy, just streaky. He makes a lot of mental errors. I think they should trade him.

Thomas can and will be back. It appears he loves the Spurs and they definitely love him.

Bonner's value has diminished since he appears to have lost confidence in his shot. I'd rather they swap him out for someone like Eduardo Najera.

T Park
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I'd rather they swap him out for someone like Eduardo Najera.

ugh

the single handid choker for the Nuggets against the Spurs last year? No thank you.

Mr. Body
05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I can't imagine any team in their right mind would trade to get a $3 million flag waver. Bonner is stuck on the team next year. He's a non-issue; let's get back to the promise of Splitter.

ChumpDumper
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
:lol

Bonner is a good value and no one else mentioned can spread the floor.

Back to the drawing board, haters.

T Park
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Bonner is a good value and no one else mentioned can spread the floor.

Back to the drawing board, haters.

Why would Holt accept a buyout? Williams would have to take less money than hes owed!!! - Mr Body

Just a quick question for Bruno, where does Siena play? What country I should say.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Yes Javtokas can play in NBA. There is many Europe players that can play in NBA. American fans just believe things which is not true about level of Europe now. But just because these player can play in NBA mean nothing. Javtokas is athletic ability is probable higher than Dwight Howard and he is probable taller than him also.

But Javtokas is also hard player to deal with. He have attitude issues as they say in NBA.

Siena is Italy team.

ChumpDumper
05-02-2008, 12:12 PM
As Tau's coach said, you never know how a player is going to adjust.

T Park
05-02-2008, 12:13 PM
avtokas is athletic ability is probable higher than Dwight Howard

Uh, I highly highly doubt that.

He have attitude issues as they say in NBA.

If true he will never play in the NBA, especially with the Spurs.

T Park
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Interesting never have heard of them.

Quick note for anyone watching right now, you will notice one Alex Garcia playing for Maccabi. :lol @ the color commentator "I think he should take out Batista, I do not like him, he is not a good player" :lol WOW

T Park
05-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey is Nikola Vujcic related to Sasha ??????

ChumpDumper
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
IIRC, Romain Sato plays for Siena.

Yep, there he is.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Yes Javtokas can play in NBA. There is many Europe players that can play in NBA. American fans just believe things which is not true about level of Europe now. But just because these player can play in NBA mean nothing. Javtokas is athletic ability is probable higher than Dwight Howard and he is probable taller than him also.

But Javtokas is also hard player to deal with. He have attitude issues as they say in NBA.

Siena is Italy team.
Are you sure you're not thinking of pre-motorcycle accident Javtokas? Even then, that's quite a stretch.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Uh, I highly highly doubt that.

If true he will never play in the NBA, especially with the Spurs.

Javtokas is more impressive as dunker than Howard is. I have see this many time. You really not know what level his athletic ability be.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Are you sure you're not thinking of pre-motorcycle accident Javtokas? Even then, that's quite a stretch.

Dwight Howard is not as athletic as Javtokas. No stretch. Howard is only most athletic big man in NBA not in world. Maybe he not as athletic after injury? Not sure and also he older now and also then Howard and maybe this make him less a little athletic.

But I still believe he more athletic then Howard. He not play in Euroleague with PAO but he have play in ULEB Cup in recent years and do well. When he in Lithuania he give incredible dunks in game and this after accident.

T Park
05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Javtokas is not more athletic than Dwight Howard.

I've seen video of Javtokas, he is not better, sorry.

T Park
05-02-2008, 12:22 PM
As Tau's coach said, you never know how a player is going to adjust.

I'm pretty confident that Tiago will do fine.

T Park
05-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Sato looks no better now than he did in 2003 when he was drafted.

The coach of the italian team looks like the prototypical rich italian

T Park
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Hell of a game here. Can't say that any of the players on the floor interest me that much, I don't see many "great" players.

The only one that seems to play well that would translate well over to the NBA is one Alex Garcia. Hell he looked good back in the day when the Spurs had him before though.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Javtokas is not more athletic than Dwight Howard.

I've seen video of Javtokas, he is not better, sorry.

Here is same lies come from some American fans here. Where I say he is "better then Howard"? I NEVER say such thing. Why is ALWAYS this way of manipulate what Euro fans says?

Stromile Swift have higher jump than Howard is he also better player? Please stop with idiot posts as these.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Siena 64, Maccabi 61 at the end of the 3rd. Maccabi was down double digits earlier in the quarter.

And yes, the Italian coach is fairly stereotypical :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Hell of a game here. Can't say that any of the players on the floor interest me that much, I don't see many "great" players.

The only one that seems to play well that would translate well over to the NBA is one Alex Garcia. Hell he looked good back in the day when the Spurs had him before though.

You should know then Spanoulis is 4 or 5 levels of ability higher then Garcia.

MoSpur
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Alex Garcia is a solid player.

Slomo
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Dwight Howard is not as athletic as Javtokas. No stretch. Howard is only most athletic big man in NBA not in world. Maybe he not as athletic after injury? Not sure and also he older now and also then Howard and maybe this make him less a little athletic.

But I still believe he more athletic then Howard. He not play in Euroleague with PAO but he have play in ULEB Cup in recent years and do well. When he in Lithuania he give incredible dunks in game and this after accident.

You need to look at Dwight more. "More Athletic" is a judgment call and while I think Javtokas is not the more athletic of the two, the truth is that Howard is a better big man under the basket than Javtokas is. So even if you're right, I would still take Howard over Javtokas any day.

And just for the record, I've always liked Javtokas pre and post accident.

objective
05-02-2008, 12:34 PM
After the NBA has seen how well Scola has done this year, 3rd in RotY voting and 14 points w/ 9.5 rebounds in the playoffs, maybe Javtokas's rights will be worth something.

Maybe not much, but enough to swap 1st round picks in order to move up a few spots to get a player they fear won't fall to them.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:37 PM
You need to look at Dwight more. "More Athletic" is a judgment call and while I think Javtokas is not the more athletic of the two, the truth is that Howard is a better big man under the basket than Javtokas is. So even if you're right, I would still take Howard over Javtokas any day.

And just for the record, I've always liked Javtokas pre and post accident.

I never compare Javtokas to Howard as how good of players I use word athletic. Since when athletic mean how good player is? Guess Spurs fans believe Amare better player then Duncan from posts here.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I somehow can't see Javtokas pulling off the "sticker dunk." That was a supreme display of athleticism/vertical leap.

Also Kill-Bill, you don't need to go off insulting posters because they disagree with you and stereotyping Americans as ignorant when it's one guy pissing you off.

Borosai
05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Duncan, Mahinmi, Bonner
Thomas, Oberto, Splitter

That's a solid frontline; a great combination of experience and youth. Bonner may not seem like a good fit, but he's the only big who can spread the floor (out of those six).

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
After the NBA has seen how well Scola has done this year, 3rd in RotY voting and 14 points w/ 9.5 rebounds in the playoffs, maybe Javtokas's rights will be worth something.

Maybe not much, but enough to swap 1st round picks in order to move up a few spots to get a player they fear won't fall to them.

Scola is same player as he were in Euroleague as he is in NBA. Announcer keep say thing like "must improve against higher level and must adjust against higher level" these idiot not watch Scola before.

He is play about similar level in NBA as he do in Euroleague playoff level. So there is some player that can make good adjustment for start in NBA. But this Scola is smart and clever player. He is much more smart and clever player then Javtokas even though Javtokas has much more strong and big and athletic body.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I somehow can't see Javtokas pulling off the "sticker dunk." That was a supreme display of athleticism/vertical leap.

Also Kill-Bill, you don't need to go off insulting posters because they disagree with you and stereotyping Americans as ignorant when it's one guy pissing you off.

This is because you have never see some of his dunks and what he can do.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
This is because you have never see some of his dunks and what he can do.
If you can find the clips I'd love to see them. Don't mind being proven wrong at all.

Hell of a game, by the way - tied with two minutes to go.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
If you can find the clips I'd love to see them. Don't mind being proven wrong at all.

Hell of a game, by the way - tied with two minutes to go.

Player of Lithuania and Moscow it would be very few clips of this player. Very few of games highlights from such places. But maybe there is some I will look.

MoSpur
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
If one of those three works out, I'd be delighted.

El Jefe
05-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but on the subject of former Spurs playing over seas, James White! played a little for Fenerbahce this year.

I've seen Splitter play 5 or 6 times, generally to encouraging results. He moves well in general, though I've seen him struggle a little with the likes of Marc Jackson (who spent a season or two in the NBA), and I seem to recall him struggling with Daniel Santiago as well, though that was much earlier in the season and my memory isn't the best. Both of those guys play pretty physical for the Euroleauge, so I wonder how Splitter will translate to the NBA.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Here is clip with few of highlights but must remember this very small size of total play. As can see when he go up he always can get foot above rim. Also he is more agile and quicker then Howard. Also as see he is quicker with jump then Howard. This is 6-11 player I think he is. Howard is bigger and stronger and he have I say longer arms and he finish dunk with more force maybe.

Athletic mean many thing and I believe over all side of athletic yes Javtokas is more better or at least he is more by compare age. Because must remember Howard is at age where athletic level will be best of whole career and also he is not yet have injury and this can happen like do with Amare. Javtokas already have age some and have injury so his level is already have some drop but Howard can still have this any time just like Amare. The dunk like these player do make very hard on knees.

Javtokas as can see look somehow like Biedrins in how he move and make play on court.

lTsnMFr7-g0

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Maccabi Elite take over in the final two minutes and get the victory over Siena, 92-85. Don't think I saw Omri Casspi play the entire second half.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but on the subject of former Spurs playing over seas, James White! played a little for Fenerbahce this year.

I've seen Splitter play 5 or 6 times, generally to encouraging results. He moves well in general, though I've seen him struggle a little with the likes of Marc Jackson (who spent a season or two in the NBA), and I seem to recall him struggling with Daniel Santiago as well, though that was much earlier in the season and my memory isn't the best. Both of those guys play pretty physical for the Euroleauge, so I wonder how Splitter will translate to the NBA.

Marc Jackson was worst defender in centre position Greek league. He was cut from team Olympiacos because his defense so bad team was not even win games in Greek league. After he is cut from team they sudden become much better team one of best in Euroleague. His defense so poor it was big joke in Greece.

Splitter must improve much when have "struggle" with such defender.

SpursIndonesia
05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
If we can get a decent young PG out of the draft or summer leaguers, Bonner + Vaughn for Tim Thomas, doesn't sound all that bad, if it works under CBA, right ?

SenorSpur
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM
ugh

the single handid choker for the Nuggets against the Spurs last year? No thank you.

I'm certainly no Najera apologist, but I was shocked that he'd expanded his shooting range to 3-pt land. Because he WILL play defense, I thought he would be of better use than what we're currently getting out of Bonner.

Bruno
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Frenchman Ian Mahimni is an almost identical build to Splitter (same height, six pounds lighter at 230) and coming off an exceptional year in the NBA Development League with the Austin Toros, having averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds a game.
Iowa Energy coach Nick Nurse, who has has spent much of his career in Europe and is currently an assistant with the GB national team has seen Mahimni ten times this season. "He's got all the talent in the world," says Nurse.
"He's extremely talented, athletic, shoots it facing up and he has some good fight in his game. At the end of the season he was banged up and wasn't 100 per cent but he was still right in there, battling.
"Of course, being ready for the NBA and being ready to make it onto the Spurs are two different things and he needs more experience and to get more physical. But he showed some flashes of sheer brilliance this season."

From bust to an interesting prospect, what a difference a year makes.

Regarding Javtokas, I don't see Spurs being interested to sign him. They have just a lot of better bigs than him.
However, I think that Javtokas can find a niche in NBA in the Brian Skinner mold. If he wants to come in NBA and if a team is ready to give him the money he wants, I think Spurs will trade his rights for something like a second round pick.

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:06 PM
If we can get a decent young PG out of the draft or summer leaguers, Bonner + Vaughn for Tim Thomas, doesn't sound all that bad, if it works under CBA, right ?

First off, why would the Clippers do that.

Second off, Why in the HELL would you want Tim Thomas?!?!?!

God god no...

Manufan909
05-02-2008, 01:13 PM
In that video Javtokas looked really awesome, but maybe not more athletic than Dwight. Someone might've already answered, but does anyone own his rights in the NBA right now?

EDIT: I just looked again and someone had answered already. Since I haven't heard of him being of interest I guess he won't play on the Spurs for a while, but he looks really explosive, maybe Tiago or Ian have that same explosiveness to their game, but I don't think so.

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
In that video Javtokas looked really awesome, but maybe not more athletic than Dwight. Someone might've already answered, but does anyone own his rights in the NBA right now?

The Spurs do.

Manufan909
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
So he is just another player we have our eyes on?

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:18 PM
So he is just another player we have our eyes on?

The eyes have shifted else where.

He lost out on his chance to go to the NBA when he went Diva on the Spurs a couple years ago.

ChumpDumper
05-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm sure Javtokas would still want a big chunk of the MLE, and the Spurs need to spend that on other positions.

Indazone
05-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Attitude issue? Can't be worse than Darko can it?

timvp
05-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Javtokas had his chance and blew it when he got mad at the Spurs for signing Elson. He said Elson was too much competition so he'd stay in Europe. If Javtokas doesn't think he can beat out Elson, I don't want him on the Spurs. However, it'd be nice if the Spurs could trade him for anything of value. A second round pick or moving up a couple spots in the first round would be good enough value.

It's tough for me to tell who is the better prospect -- Mahinmi or Splitter. Splitter plays in the tougher league and has more experience. Mahinmi puts up the better number and is more explosive athletically. I'd guess Splitter is the better prospect based on how refined his game is but I could easily be wrong.

I'm looking forward to Splitter's game today. Big game, underdog role ... should be interesting to see what he can do.

Manufan909
05-02-2008, 01:31 PM
When is the game in central time?

El Jefe
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Splitter must improve much when have "struggle" with such defender.

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I watched that particular game more with an eye towards Splitter's defense and rebounding. Since it was a few months ago, I do not recall his offensive contributions clearly. When I said he struggled, it was more about his defense against Jackson. Jackson's bulk really gave him issues in the post. He scrapped and fought, but he struggled to hold position. As a result, there was foul trouble if I recall correctly.

I'm still intrigued by Splitter as a possibility for next season, hoping that he can be a nice compliment off the bench to Kurt Thomas and his muscle.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 01:33 PM
When is the game in central time?
I think 2:00 Central.

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
However, it'd be nice if the Spurs could trade him for anything of value. A second round pick or moving up a couple spots in the first round would be good enough value

Yeah that would be the glass half full look at Javotokas right now.

If that could move em up from 26 to 24, the Javtokas draft pick would be a success.

BTW, Splitter's game starts in 26 minutes and this will be the first time I would see him live, so I'm excited about this game.

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I watched that particular game more with an eye towards Splitter's defense and rebounding. Since it was a few months ago, I do not recall his offensive contributions clearly. When I said he struggled, it was more about his defense against Jackson. Jackson's bulk really gave him issues in the post. He scrapped and fought, but he struggled to hold position. As a result, there was foul trouble if I recall correctly.

How did he do defensively against the more athletic forwards in the game?

Duncan can guard the bulkier guys, could Splitter guard an Amare Stoudamire?

mountainballer
05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Maccabi Tel Aviv just won the first semifinals game, after an unbelievable comeback.
Siena started great and was up by 18 points, but Maccabi came back, led by Alex Garcia, who made the best game in his Euroleague career. (19 points)
IMO the most interesting player for the Spurs scouts should have been Terence Morris and he in fact delivered another good performance.

if this game should have decided about Casspi's future in the NBA (as the article made think), he won't have much of a future. surprisingly he started, but played just 5 minutes. Maccabi could also have played with 4 players in that span.

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:45 PM
IMO the most interesting player for the Spurs scouts should have been Terence Morris and he in fact delivered another good performance.

Yeah he was intriguing...

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Maccabi Tel Aviv just won the first semifinals game, after an unbelievable comeback.
Siena started great and was up by 18 points, but Maccabi came back, led by Alex Garcia, who made the best game in his Euroleague career. (19 points)

if this game should have decided about Casspi's future in the NBA (as the article made think), he won't have much of a future. surprisingly he started, but played just 5 minutes. Maccabi could also have played with 4 players in that span.
I was wondering if Casspi saw any minutes. That's just going to piss him off worse. He could still sneak into the first round with a good camp and some workouts, but this won't help any.

Morris looked good, got an especially tough board in the waning moments that impressed me. He's playing PF right now, but would that translate back to the states? Could he play more of a combo-forward role?

timvp
05-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Terence Morris isn't an NBA player. He's too weak to play PF and too slow to play SF. He got invited to Spurs training camp four or five years ago and was one of the first cuts.

He does have the perfect Euro game, however. Undersized, cerebral power forwards always thrive in Europe.

tav1
05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
What the status on the Ramunas Siskauskas rumors?

Bartleby
05-02-2008, 01:59 PM
What the status on the Ramunas Siskauskas rumors?

He is mentioned here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82911&page=17

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
They just said Splitter isn't playing. WTF? Problem with his elbow :pctoss

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Tiago Splitter is out for the game with an inflamed elbow :lol

Figures!! :lol

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
They just said Splitter isn't playing. WTF? Problem with his elbow :pctoss

Yeah this is the first time I've heard hes had an injury of any kind.

mountainballer
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Terence Morris isn't an NBA player. He's too weak to play PF and too slow to play SF. He got invited to Spurs training camp four or five years ago and was one of the first cuts.

He does have the perfect Euro game, however. Undersized, cerebral power forwards always thrive in Europe.

I just claim that the Terence Morris of today isn't the same he was 5 years ago. sometimes player improve, for whatever reason.
he isn't undersized. great size for a SF, decent size for a PF. also for NBA standards.
don't know how he did it, but he found his forever lost shooting stroke. hit the jumpers sometimes at a ridiculous rate. athleticism level is great in Europe, should still be decent in the NBA.
undersized cerebral PFs Scola and Garbajosa somehow didn't look that bad in the NBA.
undersized cerebral Center Oberto somehow didn't look that bad with the Spurs.

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
WTF! No Splitter?

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:07 PM
"Five second violation. What the hell of a defense!" :lmao Classic announcers.

I guess I'll watch a little bit longer to make sure Splitter isn't playing. The announcers didn't sound 100% sure.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Was that Anderson with the flop? :lol Oh, no it was Smodis. Still awesome.

That would suck, the one game I watch and Tiago doesn't play.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Could Terrance Morris be an Anthony Parker? Someone who improved quite a bit over in europe?

One of the announcers sounds like goldmember

everytime someone makes a good play

"oooooo" :lmao

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Well Splitter is suited up, he was standing there, and had a sleeve over the RIGHT elbow :pctoss

Just great :depressed

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Siskauskas with a great move to the basket. Then a three! Then he thows a great pass, but his teammate can't convert.

Splitter in!

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Now the NBA rejects enter the game

Trajan Langdon
James Singleton

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Will McDonald is in a lot better shape than he was when he played for the Spurs' summer league team. Igor Rakocevic looks like he gained about 20 pounds and aged ten years since he was in Spurs training camp.

Splitter in!

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
TIAGO IS IN!!!

Whew, must not be THAT bad of an injury!!

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:17 PM
oh

what a move by splitter

ok hard to NOT get excited about a guy after moves like that...

timvp
Nice move by Splitter offensively. Dumb goal tend on the other end.

TheProfessor
GREAT move down low by Splitter!

T Park
Splitter seems to have Ginobili like eagerness on defense.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Another nice thing I like is his upper body strength, but he seems to be ginobili quick in his moves.

anjlbitz
Damn. I hate being stuck with the Chinese Broadcast. I can't understand a thing..

SPLITTER is in!!!!!

timvp
What the hell is that on Splitter's arm? Crazy Euro doctors . . .

T Park
Ok so hes a project with Free throws :lol

TheProfessor
Good to see his FT form hasn't improved too much :lol

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 02:20 PM
WOW.. He is definitely a Spur... Bad FT shooter LOL

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:20 PM
What the hell is that on Splitter's arm? Crazy Euro doctors . . .

It looks like an arm sleeve with colored tattoos on it...

velik_m
05-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Tiago causes problems. Smodis in.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Siskauskas looks like a Bond villain to me...

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I've never heard of Pete Mickeal...

timvp
Splitter still with that ugly fadaway hook :pctoss

T Park
Tiago needs to bring it down a notch, dude is amped to about the 50th degree.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Isn't Prigioni Argentinian?

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Smodis just owned Splitter.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Splitter still with that ugly fadaway hook :pctoss

Yeah if he would calm down, and not fadeaway on it, that would be a nice looking shot.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
What is with NBATv constantly showing these 10 cent infomercials?

So strange.

velik_m
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Looks like a nice game, but i'm off to watch hockey.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Theres alot of things Tiago does that he won't get away with with Pop.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Tiago looks like he can handle the ball with both hands and can go either way with the ball. Another plus.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Players falling everywhere :lol

Another smooth post move from Splitter...

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:30 PM
beautifull move in the post again and the lefty hook

damn this kid has got a NICE offensive game

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Argentines, is Prigioni a point guard?

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Who the hell took that contested three

Bartleby
05-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Yep, Splitter is looking really good on offense.

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 02:33 PM
WOO SPLITTER!!!!

nice cut to the basket

TheProfessor
beautifull move in the post again and the lefty hook

damn this kid has got a NICE offensive game
If freaking Brook Lopez is a top 5 pick in this year's draft, where would Splitter go?

timvp
First thing the Spurs should do when they get Splitter is to make him stop fading away. He fades away from the basket on hooks and layups. That won't fly in the NBA.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:34 PM
If freaking Brook Lopez is a top 5 pick in this year's draft, where would Splitter go?

Well the years prior to last year, Splitter was considered a lottery pick but he kept pulling out of the draft.
Last year he entered again and teams were concerned he would pull out again, but the Spurs took him.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:35 PM
First thing the Spurs should do when they get Splitter is to make him stop fading away. He fades away from the basket on hooks and layups. That won't fly in the NBA.

The guy is 22, and it would be akin to getting a kid straight out of college. There seems to be ALOT of potential in this kid though.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Isn't Rakocevic another of Whottt's euro loves?

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Splitter is another flopper. Nice :smokin

T Park
damn the euros are cheap

Langdon CLEARLY in the pick and rolls taking shots at Splitter's elbow.

TheProfessor
Man, Langdon was barrelling into Splitter on those screens.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Splitter is another flopper. Nice :smokin

Pretty damn good one too at that :lol

Maybe Tiago and Manu can teach Tony how to do it finally.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Chip's going to earn his paycheck next year.

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 02:38 PM
He's been passing the "Is he a Spur?" test

Bad FT shooter: check
Flopper: check

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Man amazing how different the game can be over there, Planinic looked terrible with the Nets, but with tau Ceramica he looks like an all star.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't think he has horrible form, i just don't think hes been coached especially on it.

I mean look at how bad Oberto was when he first came, and now look at him.

Needs to bend at the knees and that little hitch in his form needs to go as well.

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Wow.. they are playing Tiago pretty rough..

Wonder if it's a "Hack-a-Tiago" strategy

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Splitter choking on the line. 1-6?

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
One thing that stands out - Splitter is FAST. Like, gazelle fast for a big man. And for all the comments on how slight he is physically, he's certainly drawing a lot of contact in this game and playing through it, even injured.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
TIMVP

McDonald looks like the undersized Powerforward the Spurs could use, does he look like hes improved since hes lost the poundage?

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Splitter choking on the line. 1-6?

I would say its more form and all that than "choking"

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Splitter looks agile enough to be able to guard smaller players, like a,
oh.....

Dirk? :smokin

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
:lmao @ these announcers

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Splitter looks agile enough to be able to guard smaller players, like a,
oh.....

Dirk? :smokin
Maybe a David West as well, and that's going to be more important in the immediate future...

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
One thing that stands out - Splitter is FAST. Like, gazelle fast for a big man. And for all the comments on how slight he is physically, he's certainly drawing a lot of contact in this game and playing through it, even injured.

He sure looks decent sized in the upper body to me.

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
TIMVP

McDonald looks like the undersized Powerforward the Spurs could use, does he look like hes improved since hes lost the poundage?He looks pretty good. He's a little soft so Europe is probably for him. He does have a pretty good jumper, though.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Why the hell does the coach have Splitter play so high and outside of the post!?!?

Bruno
05-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Maybe Splitter's injury on his shooting arm explain a part of his FTs struggle today.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Freakin Planinic looks like a an all star compared to how he did with new Jersey

Nice one handed jumper from Splitter there.

I think hes got like 9 points already.

WalterBenitez
05-02-2008, 02:48 PM
we need young people to run in 2008-2009, come on POP free you wallet.

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Great flopper.. but they are playing him pretty rough.. good practice for the NBA

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe Splitter's injury on his shooting arm explain a part of his FTs struggle today.

His form is stiff, rigid and horrible.

His shots are line drives.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Maybe a David West as well, and that's going to be more important in the immediate future...

Yeah I like what I see out of Splitter.

Hes young, but so developed.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM
He's a 66% FT shooter on the season, so he's at least somewhat efficient with that form...

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Splitter looked like he was crying walking into the lockerroom :lol

Pretty good first half for him outside of his free throw shooting. I wish he was stronger around the rim but hopefully that is something you can grow into. Defensively he looks solid.

WildcardManu
05-02-2008, 02:52 PM
where online or tv are you watching this game u guys are talking about?

T Park
Only problem so far I see is hes a little light on the rebounding side.

Alot of that is where he is on the shots and alot of shots are going the opposite ways as well.

TheProfessor
Yeah I like what I see out of Splitter.

Hes young, but so developed.
This will be one of those picks analysts mention when they talk about the Spurs front office and their draft success. But really, it was just dumb luck and impatience on the part of other teams.

Que Gee
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
From people "in the know" the Splitter dude is supposed to be the real deal.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Splitter looked like he was crying walking into the lockerroom :lol

Pretty good first half for him outside of his free throw shooting. I wish he was stronger around the rim but hopefully that is something you can grow into. Defensively he looks solid.

Yeah, with Chip England's help his FT shooting should be fine.
The shooting touch is there, but the build up to the shot is bad, no knee bend, hitched form.

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Only problem so far I see is hes a little light on the rebounding side.

Alot of that is where he is on the shots and alot of shots are going the opposite ways as well.
Rebounding should translate better from Euroleague, as it did with Scola.

BOHOLANO#21
where online or tv are you watching this game u guys are talking about?

nbatv bro...

anjlbitz
Is it a one game elimination or is it a series?

T Park
This will be one of those picks analysts mention when they talk about the Spurs front office and their draft success. But really, it was just dumb luck and impatience on the part of other teams.

Lucky that he fell? Sure, but still they could've passed over him.

Im glad though they got him in the first round, and not the second.

If it was the second it could've been Scola all over again.

WildcardManu
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
nbatv bro...

thx, I had just found it

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
From people "in the know" the Splitter dude is supposed to be the real deal.

I know people won't believe me, but talking to some people that know people, they said the Spurs felt Splitter was BETTER than Scola.

I know Mr. Body and Spursdynasty21 won't believe that.

Gooshie
05-02-2008, 02:57 PM
What's the score?

TheProfessor
05-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Lucky that he fell? Sure, but still they could've passed over him.

Im glad though they got him in the first round, and not the second.

If it was the second it could've been Scola all over again.
What I mean is, was Jared Dudley really going to make the Bobcats' season, or put them over the top in a few years? Of course not. But Splitter was right there for the taking, and they let him go because they couldn't wait a year. It's insane, and several teams will regret it.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
What I mean is, was Jared Dudley really going to make the Bobcats' season, or put them over the top in a few years? Of course not. But Splitter was right there for the taking, and they let him go because they couldn't wait a year. It's insane, and several teams will regret it.

Well they have guys like may, Okafor, and others, so they might have felt they were good at the big position.
That and some still can be a tad stubborn about the euros.

timvp
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Is it a one game elimination or is it a series?One game elimination.

T Park
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
What's the score?

I believe 39-33 Tau Ceramica on top.

Harry Callahan
05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Will the game be rerun so I can watch it later?

Bruno
05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
He's a 66% FT shooter on the season, so he's at least somewhat efficient with that form...

Yes, Splitter isn't a great FT shooter but he isn't an horrible one for a big man.
His injury doesn't help him for sure to shoot FTs.

pad300
05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I believe 39-33 Tau Ceramica on top.

I hope CKSA pulls it out; Sisaukas being available would be an interesting option. I was hoping we'd grab him before he signed with CKSA (IIRC 3 years back. While I like Finley, Sisauskas is something special in Europe, and he might just have been something special in the NBA.)

velik_m
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Game tied 43 each.

velik_m
05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Bullshit foul on Smodis. he's on 3. :(

timvp
05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
If Smodis wasn't in horrible shape, he'd be an NBA player.

timvp
05-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Tau is collapsing.

BOHOLANO#21
05-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Will the game be rerun so I can watch it later?

i hope so too. i'm at work i hope they replay that TAU game...

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
54-53 Tau

Splitter with 3 fouls

timvp
05-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Splitter's flopping is going to piss off a lot of people in the NBA world :lol

timvp
05-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Prignoni or whatever his name has an horrendous looking shot.

BOHOLANO#21
05-02-2008, 03:28 PM
54-53 Tau

Splitter with 3 fouls

GO TAU GO!!! GO SPLITTER GO!!:lol

anjlbitz
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
73-66 CSKA

D. Andersen is killing.

Splitter with 4 fouls

timvp
05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
The Tau coach was horrible in this game. He pulled Splitter when he got his fourth foul and Tau collapsed. Prigioni was also horrible in the fourth. He had four or five major mistakes.

Southwest Texas Fan
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
How many points and rebounds for Splitter?

velik_m
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
So much for Splitter taking them where Scola couldn't.

timvp
05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Game over. Tau lost by four.

I thought Splitter played pretty darn well. He got better as the game went on. Defensively he has good mobility and looks to be pretty strong. Offensively he has a good IQ, good passer and has a few nice post moves. He's also a world class flopper. Some of his flops this game would make Manu blush.

He can obviously improve a lot. He's a bit soft around the basket on both ends of the court. His help defense isn't always on time. I also think he can use a tad more meanness, especially when others are being physical with him.

I wasn't too impressed with any of his teammates. McDonald and Mickael are your standard Euro exports. Prigioni, who I liked in the past, looked like he was out of shape and he made repeated mistakes. Rakocevic is out of shape.

CSKA has some better players but I didn't see any obvious NBA talent. Theo Papaloukas supposedly was chased by a lot of NBA teams but I just don't see how he'd transition to the NBA. He's slow and doesn't have a jumper. He'd get destroyed by NBA guards. David Andersen has really nice touch but he played soft. Langdon hasn't improved much since his NBA days. Siskauskas is a solid, rugged player with decent skill. JR Holden probably could be a backup point guard in the right system but he could make more money and star overseas. Smodis could be Toni Kukoc if he wasn't in horrific shape. Overall, Andersen and Holden were probably the most impressive but I'm not sure if they could translate it to the NBA.

Looking at the stat sheet, Splitter had 17 points, three rebounds, two steals and a block in 27 minutes. More rebounds would have been nice but he spent a lot of time out on the perimeter guarding Smodis.

ace3g
05-02-2008, 04:18 PM
how did James Singleton look, he was a player I wanted the spurs to sign last offseason because he his a long SF that is good at rebounding

ace3g
05-02-2008, 04:20 PM
also Alex Garcia, former Spurs PG, had a great game for Maccabi Elite

Bruno
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
how did James Singleton look, he was a player I wanted the spurs to sign last offseason because he his a long SF that is good at rebounding

Singleton was quite invisible. He just come back from a big ACL injury and obviously isn't at 100%.

ace3g
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah I thought I remember him having an injury which is probably why he only played 3 min in the game

T Park
05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
He can obviously improve a lot.

I think you meant it a different way.

But didn't you say he "is what he is" meaning hes not gonna improve much more?

I've maintained since day 1 a 22 year old could become even greater.

A 6'11 big that can guard the perimiter?

niiice :smokin

T Park
05-02-2008, 04:28 PM
So much for Splitter taking them where Scola couldn't.

At least he scored unlike Scola.

El Jefe
05-02-2008, 06:00 PM
How did he do defensively against the more athletic forwards in the game?

Duncan can guard the bulkier guys, could Splitter guard an Amare Stoudamire?

The big problem with making a projection like that is who in the world has a combination of size, speed and strength like Amare? However many there are, none of them are playing in Europe.

To attempt an answer, the only time I recall him really struggling was against the two guys I mentioned, Jackson and Santiago. There was a cat named Pekovic I wanted to see him defend, burly physical guy on Partizan Igokea, but I don't think they spent too many minutes up against each other.

Anyways, those were the only two guys that really made me think he had issues guarding them. I'm not saying he played perfect against everyone else, or locked them down like Bowen or even Kurt Thomas, but he at least held his own.

The tools are there, he's got size and he moves pretty well. With the Spurs philosophy of "no defense, no court time" he should be a capable defender in this league. I certainly think he should be a better option than Oberto on Amare once he gets acclimated to the NBA

SPARKY
05-02-2008, 06:35 PM
If Mahinmi is as good as some think he is, the Dynasty may outlive TD and Manu.

:smokin

El Jefe
05-02-2008, 06:44 PM
If Mahinmi is as good as some think he is, the Dynasty may outlive TD and Manu.

:smokin

I very seriously doubt that. Mahimi may turn out to be a player, but I don't think there's any way he's the second coming of Duncan. Parker is a championship level point guard, but individual players don't win anything by themselves.

Replacing Manu will be tough enough, you're talking about one of the better all around players in the league, and one of the greatest winners in the world. Replacing Duncan, who is arguably the best player of his generation and one of the greatest of all time? Just count your blessings that you still get to watch him until he decides to hang em up.

Mahinmi and Splitter hopefully can come in and be nice pieces, but they won't continue the dynasty past Tim and Manu.

ChumpDumper
05-02-2008, 06:44 PM
So much for Splitter taking them where Scola couldn't.He got them at least as far as last year, with an injury and weaker roster. I have no problems with this season's results.

SPARKY
05-02-2008, 08:12 PM
I very seriously doubt that. Mahimi may turn out to be a player, but I don't think there's any way he's the second coming of Duncan. Parker is a championship level point guard, but individual players don't win anything by themselves.

Replacing Manu will be tough enough, you're talking about one of the better all around players in the league, and one of the greatest winners in the world. Replacing Duncan, who is arguably the best player of his generation and one of the greatest of all time? Just count your blessings that you still get to watch him until he decides to hang em up.

Mahinmi and Splitter hopefully can come in and be nice pieces, but they won't continue the dynasty past Tim and Manu.

We'll see.

ChumpDumper
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm looking forward to having big men of 22 and 23 with decent upside on the team next season.

21GoSpursGo9
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm looking forward to having big men of 22 and 23 with decent upside on the team next season.

Chump do you personally think Mahinmi/Splitter can contribute next year?

What are some things on their game they are really good at and really bad at?

Biggems
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I want Ian and Tiago on the team next year.....as for Jav.....I want him in the NBA.....but I dont see him as a good fit for our roster. I wouldn't mind pulling a Scola type trade with Jav.....but to an Eastern Conference Team...

BTW what is the word on VSpan.....does he want to come back to the Spurs and would he make a nice backup PG for TP?

ChumpDumper
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I've seen much more of Ian, someone else should comment on Splitter.

Ian came into the D-League already possessing an NBA-level spin move and hook shot. His footwork still needs development, but he was adding moves to his game every passing month. He started taking 15 footers near the end of the season, but hasn't made enough of them to call it a reliable shot. He's a good free throw shooter, so there's no need to cringe when he goes to the line. Can run the floor about as fast as any big man and really, really likes to dunk.

Defensively he is very mobile. He gets caught out of position from time to time, but can recover very quickly. Alters shots but didn't block shots at a rate I had expected. Needs better positioning and some more bulk to be a good rebounder at the NBA level.

Overall, he's not the player I expected from the draft reports -- more of an offensive than defensive force -- but he's a worthwhile project. He works very hard and seems to have a decent IQ. A lot of his deficiencies should disappear with experience. I'm not sure how much he will play for the Spurs next season. If Thomas is re-signed and Splitter comes over, I could see Ian spending some more time in Austin at certain times of the season. The extended practice and playing time might further benefit his game.

21GoSpursGo9
05-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I've seen much more of Ian, someone else should comment on Splitter.

Ian came into the D-League already possessing an NBA-level spin move and hook shot. His footwork still needs development, but he was adding moves to his game every passing month. He started taking 15 footers near the end of the season, but hasn't made enough of them to call it a reliable shot. He's a good free throw shooter, so there's no need to cringe when he goes to the line. Can run the floor about as fast as any big man and really, really likes to dunk.

Defensively he is very mobile. He gets caught out of position from time to time, but can recover very quickly. Alters shots but didn't block shots at a rate I had expected. Needs better positioning and some more bulk to be a good rebounder at the NBA level.

Overall, he's not the player I expected from the draft reports -- more of an offensive than defensive force -- but he's a worthwhile project. He works very hard and seems to have a decent IQ. A lot of his deficiencies should disappear with experience. I'm not sure how much he will play for the Spurs next season. If Thomas is re-signed and Splitter comes over, I could see Ian spending some more time in Austin at certain times of the season. The extended practice and playing time might further benefit his game.

Well you dont have to convince me that you follow the toros closley.:lmao Thanks for the info chump. Nice to know he has upside.

Bartleby
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
BTW what is the word on VSpan.....does he want to come back to the Spurs and would he make a nice backup PG for TP?

Hmmmm, if only there were somebody around here who could update us on the twists and turns of V-Span's career. . .

El Jefe
05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Thought I'd throw an update in here on Splitter. Just finished watching Tau Ceramica take on Montepaschi Siena in the consolation game. Some good things and some bad things about Splitter's performance.

Splitter again came off the bench, and was still wearing the crazy blue thing on his arm.
His early performance was not good. Two traveling calls went against him, one on a pull the chair move, one on the catch in transition.
He showed a pretty powerful drop step move in the 1st quarter, but unfortunately lead with the elbow and was called for the charge.
Someone had asked about his ability to defend on the perimeter. He is very mobile, and repeatedly demonstrated his ability to defend all the way out to the three point line. However, he also bit on a fairly weak pump fake by Lavrinovic, so unless he learns to stay down Dirk would have a field day with him.
Montepaschi scored several times on the PnR with Splitter caught in no man's land, neither up on the ball handler nor sticking with the roller. Unlike Shaq however, it was not do to lack of mobility. It looked like Tau simply was not aggressively blitzing the screen, and Splitter was allowing the ballhandler too much room while not getting any weak side help on the roll. Once Pop gets ahold of him he'll be much better, Splitter certainly has the agility to step up on the ball handler, and then quickly retreat to his man.
He also looked good as the roll man himself, it seemed most of his baskets came from cutting to the basket after setting the pick. He seems to have average or better hands, and finished well. He's better when he finishes with power though. While his touch didn't look HORRIBLE, he's no Tim Duncan.

Tau ended up losing in OT by 4. Splitter's final line

21:52 Minutes
15 pts on 6/12 shooting
2 rebounds (1 offensive)
1 block
2 assists
5 turnovers

Not a great game by any stretch, but he shows promise.

my2sons
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM

Siena is Italy team.

I respected your posts until this one. Javtokas should not be mentioned in the same breath as dwight howard. Pre wreck maybe, but post wreck no way.