PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to defend CP3?

DarrinS
05-02-2008, 10:22 AM
I have to admit, CP3 is one of the best point guards I've ever seen play -- EVER.

He's the first player in 15 years to average 20 pts and 10 assists for a season. Other players that did that are Oscar Robertson, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, Tim Hardaway and Tiny Archibald. (I didn't even include his three steals per game).

Not only that, but he's gotten even better in these playoffs.

My question to the board is, what is the best way to defend him? Or, at the very least, slow him down?

If you double him, he'll hit the open man for a j or alley oop. If you play him one-on-one, he can create his own shot.

Do you just throw a lot of different looks at him? Half the time, zone, half the time single? Flash a big man on him from time to time?

I think Pop has his hands full with this one. This is a very difficult matchup, IMO.

DarrinS
05-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I guess nobody wants to actually talk about basketball.

:depressed

RashoFan
05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
You pose a very good question and I have no answers, I am still a little noob when it comes to BBall. I am still learning.

JamStone
05-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I think the best strategy defensively against any great player is to consistently challenge that player with different looks. Tony Parker and Bruce Bowen will likely have their turns defending him one-on-one, but I think the use of different zone looks will also be important to force him into different ways to attack.

I think early on in each game, you force him to make jumpshots by giving him space at first.

I also think you can't bring doubles from the bigs leaving them open for easy shots. On pick-and-rolls, aggressive, high hedges are not a good strategy against Paul who reads them well and generally result in alley oop dunks for Chandler or wide open midrange jumpers for West. Bigs need to stay and allow whoever is guarding Paul to slip the picks. If the bigs do hedge aggressively, they need to keep their hands straight up in the air between Paul's eyeline to the basket.

Lastly, I think the best way to defend Chris Paul is to defend his teammates well. Paul can score and score very efficiently. But, he's even better at making his team very good when he gets his teammates involved. Closing out on jump shooters and keeping bodies on the other Hornets players making Paul more of a scorer than a play maker might be the most effective way to limit Paul's impact on the game.

MajorMike
05-02-2008, 10:40 AM
You have to frustrate him. I don't know if you do it by hacking the shit out of him or havig Tony run by him all day or what you do... but if CP3 gets frustrated he becomes completely mortal. He makes bad decicions, shoots bad shots and had the propensity to throw it away alot. He has always been that way and always will.

Let him get off early and he will eat you alive.

Tacker
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
You pose a very good question and I have no answers, I am still a little noob when it comes to BBall. I am still learning.

lol where did those 7000 posts comes from then

RashoFan
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
But I do agree, Pop is gonna be busy!

RashoFan
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM

I am a "gabby" person....:blah

:rollin

xtremesteven33
05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Chris Paul is a black very young version of Steve Nash. Bowen will definelty have his hands full but i still see POP coming up with a plan to contain thier offense. He always does.

RashoFan
05-02-2008, 10:46 AM

oh yeah...Da Bulls!
My third favorite team, sorry Toronto has the #2 spot for now cause of Rasho:lol

Manu's Bald Spot
05-02-2008, 10:47 AM
I personally think you let CP score all the time and not let his teammates get involved. I'm cool with him averaging over 30 pts a game, but having west, peja, and tyson do nothing. I'd think we defintely win that way

DarrinS
05-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I personally think you let CP score all the time and not let his teammates get involved. I'm cool with him averaging over 30 pts a game, but having west, peja, and tyson do nothing. I'd think we defintely win that way

Jam said that, too. I'm inclined to agree.

RashoFan
05-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Do you think that Pop will first try different tactics on CP3 to contain him or will Pop let CP3 go crazy and just shut down the rest of the team preventing CP3 to pad his assists stat?

vander
05-02-2008, 10:56 AM

that's exactly what I was going to say, let bowen or parker annoy him all game, and everyone else STAY ON YOUR GUY and WATCH THE PASSING LANES!!!

:king

kskonn
05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I think the best strategy defensively against any great player is to consistently challenge that player with different looks. Tony Parker and Bruce Bowen will likely have their turns defending him one-on-one, but I think the use of different zone looks will also be important to force him into different ways to attack.

I think early on in each game, you force him to make jumpshots by giving him space at first.

I also think you can't bring doubles from the bigs leaving them open for easy shots. On pick-and-rolls, aggressive, high hedges are not a good strategy against Paul who reads them well and generally result in alley oop dunks for Chandler or wide open midrange jumpers for West. Bigs need to stay and allow whoever is guarding Paul to slip the picks. If the bigs do hedge aggressively, they need to keep their hands straight up in the air between Paul's eyeline to the basket.

Lastly, I think the best way to defend Chris Paul is to defend his teammates well. Paul can score and score very efficiently. But, he's even better at making his team very good when he gets his teammates involved. Closing out on jump shooters and keeping bodies on the other Hornets players making Paul more of a scorer than a play maker might be the most effective way to limit Paul's impact on the game.

I agree, I was going to simplify it down to turning him into a scorer or playmaker. If those are the options turn him into a scorer, shut down his teamates and you can win. It reminds me of what the spurs used to do with Nash, they would play the passing lanes and turn him into a scorer, it didn't always work but it worked more than it failed. if he goes off for 50 every game but his teammates are shut down you can win the game. it will still be tough, West is good and will have more good games than bad in my opinion. On the flip side we need to create the same match up problems with parker. However I really think our best matchup is tim Duncan on anybody. If playoff duncan shows up in this series I don't think they have anyone who can matchup. Sorry for getting a little off point.

vanvannen
05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I'd put Bowen on him, he's guarded from Kobe to Dirk. He can handle him as best as anyone. I'll stay put on his teammates, don't let him get them involved. No player can beat the Spurs on his own.

ambchang
05-02-2008, 11:00 AM
My idea is to play CP3 straight up with Parker, go under the screen and let him shoot every single time. He may score incredible amounts of points, but do not let the rest of the team beat you. Don't let West open for that 18-foot jumper, don't let Paul in the paint, don't let him throw those lobs to Chandler, don't let Peja go off.

We know Bowen can shut down Peja, we know Chandler is not an offensive force, the key is to shut down one of Paul or West with the other remaining players. I would choose to let Paul go off, have him carry the whole team, be physical with him and make him lose his temper.

DarrinS
05-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Do you think that Pop will first try different tactics on CP3 to contain him or will Pop let CP3 go crazy and just shut down the rest of the team preventing CP3 to pad his assists stat?

Against Dallas, he went crazy AND got his teammates involved.

Game 1. 35 pts, 10 dimes
Game 2. 32 pts, 17 dimes
Game 3. 16 pts, 10 dimes (Dallas won this game)
Game 4. 16 pts, 8 dimes
Game 5. 24 pts, 15 dimes

We definitely can't let him have a game like game 2 of the Mavs series.

kskonn
05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I still believe you turn him into a scorer, but you still do everything you can to make his life miserable. I don't think we give him a free pass but when faced with the choice you make him a scorer instead of a play maker. If he gets going and the game is easy for him he will get everyone else involved.

DarrinS
05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Wake Forest turns out some pretty good ballers, don't you think?

Hold that thought.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_josh_howard.jpg

JamStone
05-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Against Dallas, he went crazy AND got his teammates involved.

Game 1. 35 pts, 10 dimes
Game 2. 32 pts, 17 dimes
Game 3. 16 pts, 10 dimes (Dallas won this game)
Game 4. 16 pts, 8 dimes
Game 5. 24 pts, 15 dimes

We definitely can't let him have a game like game 2 of the Mavs series.

This is a very important lesson the Spurs have to be extremely aware of.

The most important thing when defending Chris Paul, don't use Jason Kidd or Jason Terry.

kskonn
05-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Wake Forest turns out some pretty good ballers, don't you think?

Hold that thought.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_josh_howard.jpg

Well every family has a black sheep.

kskonn
05-02-2008, 11:15 AM

The most important thing when defending Chris Paul, don't use Jason Kidd or Jason Terry.

that is the most insightful thing I have read on this thread yet... if someone actually defends Chris paul he may not be able to go off every game. I mean don't get me wrong, I know that Terry and Kidd where there , but were they really "there"?

101A
05-02-2008, 11:16 AM
He didn't like the road NEAR as much as home court.

Joe Schmoogins
05-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree with those who said let Bowen and Parker harrasss him... and everyone else stay home. I really think Parker could defend him pretty well if his mind is made up. I'd prefer this so that Bowen could shut Peja down. I'd also say we give Ime a shot at him to play him tough and rough him up a bit. Perhaps throw him off his game with some very physical play. ALong those same lines, I'd like to see Thomas, Fab, and Rob set some solid picks on him, knock him down a bit and definitely make him feel the pain if he decides to dome through the lane. Basically we have to do whatever we can to throw him off his rhythm.

DarrinS
05-02-2008, 11:54 AM

lol

tonylongoriafan
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
as the tuna once said...put away the annoiting oil

cp3 is good, but there are great players that never win (see john stockton)

it's all about winning