PDA

View Full Version : Duncan To Test Hornets' West

duncan228
05-02-2008, 10:57 AM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/18475894.html

Duncan to test Hornets' West
By LES EAST

NEW ORLEANS — The Hornets’ Byron Scott is the NBA Coach of the Year and point guard Chris Paul is a strong candidate for Most Valuable Player.

There’s no postseason award on the horizon for David West, which is just fine with the Hornets power forward, who doesn’t seem particularly interested in getting attention.

“It’s natural when you have a player like (Paul) beside you, but I’ve never been the type of guy that’s been concerned about those types of things,” West said. “I just try to play and be as effective as possible.”

West’s emergence as an All-Star has been one of the major reasons for the Hornets success this season, and he’ll be even more important in the Western Conference semifinal series against Tim Duncan and the defending champion Spurs. The series begins at 9 p.m. Saturday in the New Orleans Arena.

West and center Tyson Chandler will be the players primarily charged with dealing with Duncan, arguably the best power forward in NBA history.

“David and Tyson and those guys are going to have their hands full,” Scott said. “We’ve got to make sure that we take care of our basket first and not allow them to get easy buckets.”

West averaged 23 points and 6.8 rebounds and made 58 percent of his shots as New Orleans and San Antonio split the season series. Duncan averaged 22.5 points and 10.5 rebounds and made 64 percent of his shots.

“We basically know who they are and what they are,” West said of the Spurs. “The ball’s going to go through Tim Duncan. Their defense is going to go through Tim Duncan. They’ve been one of the better defensive teams. We know what to expect with them.

“They’re built around Duncan. Everything they do is kind of predicated on him and that’s why they’ve won, been so good for so long, because they have a cornerstone and he’s unselfish to defer to those other guys like (point guard Tony) Parker and (forward Manu) Ginobili when it’s needed.”

San Antonio, which has won four NBA titles in the last nine seasons, has far more playoff experience than the Hornets. But so did Dallas.

“We know how good they are. We know what they’ve done, but we don’t feel like there’s any pressure on us to win or anything,” West said. “We have a lot of confidence that we know that nobody’s picking us to do much.

“We’re going to compete and play hard. We’re going in with the attitude that if we play the game the right way, stick to our guns and do what we do, we give ourselves a chance.”

West is the only Hornet who had played in the playoffs as a member of the organization before the Dallas series. As a rookie in 2004, he came off the bench in each game of a 4-3 first-round series loss to Miami.

Despite an uncharacteristically poor performance in the Hornets only loss in the first-round series victory against Dallas, West was his usual dependable self overall.

He averaged 22.6 points, two above his season average, and 7.4 rebounds, 1.5 below his season average. He matched his 48 percent regular-season field-goal shooting.

After West went 6-for-20 in a loss in Game 3, he fumed for two days, hardly speaking, according to Scott, before returning to form in Game 4. He scored 10 of his 24 points as New Orleans took control of the game, and the series, during the third quarter of a 97-84 victory. West made 10-of-21 shots.

“We expected to get past the first round, not to take anything away from Dallas,” West said. “We’re not going to go into this series or any other series expecting to lose. We expect to win. We expect to play well. We expect to do the right things to give us a chance.”

West, who Paul has called “the 17-foot assassin” because of the consistency with which he makes mid-range jumpers, is the only Hornet remaining from Scott’s first team, which went 18-64 three seasons ago.

As the team added Paul after that season, Chandler and forward Peja Stojakovic two offseasons ago, and shooting guard Morris Peterson last offseason, West has continued to blossom every step of the way.

“It’s been a long ride,” West said. “The last few years, we felt like we’ve taken steps to get better. We’ve had guys come in that have fit right in. We were able to take steps forward. It’s just a culmination of all the things we’ve done. Not necessarily big moves, but adding veterans to the team, and good locker room guys.”

BonnerDynasty
05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Our bench better step up. If they can hit their shots we are golden.

jman3000
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
“We basically know who they are and what they are,” West said of the Spurs.

umm... no. not yet. in about 2 weeks you will though.

LakerMagic
05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
too much overconfidence Im reading from the Hornets.

oboymeetsogirl
05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
The Spurs' D has always effectively neutralized West, but obviously Paul's development as a premier point has opened things up for him. So the way I see it, West's success, or failure, in this series will depend upon Paul's performance. How well will CP3 perform against a veteran team built for postseason play? Regular season means nothing -- that was just practice for the Spurs.

The interesting thing is that the Hornets' players and coaches know all this. They're smart as whips, and not overconfident like, say, the Suns. Then again, a lot of teams know exactly what the Spurs are made of and what they intend to do when they meet them. So really, it's how well they respond that will make or break it for them. Because the Spurs sure as hell aren't going to beat themselves...

Cry Havoc
05-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Paul has never faced a defense that's even close to what's going to hit him in Game 1. He'll be solid in the 1st and 2nd quarters, Pop will make adjustments, and then everything that has come easily to Paul all season will vanish before him like vapor. He'll still score, but he's going to have to work harder than he's ever worked in his basketball life to get to the tin.

T Park
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM

Yeah its pretty much the Suns all over again it seems.

spursfan09
05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Every year, a new flavor of the month. Every year, same end result.

NoMoneyDown
05-02-2008, 03:44 PM
umm... no. not yet. in about 2 weeks you will though.

Took the words outta my mouth. What they've seen up to this point is "regular season" Spurs.

Smirk
05-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Where do you read that?

Every Hornets player has been exceedingly respectful of the Spurs.

Do you expect them to just say: "We're just happy to be here. They are so great, we can't win."

No professional should ever say that. And this group won't. They are respectful of what the Spurs have accomplished, but confident in their ability to keep up. If you're reading anything else, you're just looking for things to get indignant about.

In fact:

“We know how good they are. We know what they’ve done, but we don’t feel like there’s any pressure on us to win or anything,” West said. “We have a lot of confidence that we know that nobody’s picking us to do much.

“We’re going to compete and play hard. We’re going in with the attitude that if we play the game the right way, stick to our guns and do what we do, we give ourselves a chance.”

He doesn't even say that if they do what they do that they will win. Seriously...give it up.

Teal Street
05-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I think the Hornets have spoken very well here. They give their repect to the Spurs but at the same time they stand up to the challenge.

boutons_
05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Tim - David

Tony - Chris

Pop - Byron

Great matchups. I'm sure everybody will be very prepared.

ducks
05-02-2008, 04:04 PM
if spurs can keep hornets shooting in the 40% they will win

hsxvvd
05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Unlike everybody else around here saying it comes down to "Tony v Paul" or it's "Manu's series", this series will be won with the education of West. Timmy need to open up like he did in game one and totally dominate West, like he can and should do at both ends of the floor. Yes, Chandler will probably get the job at the other end, but Duncan needs to take over this series. Manu is injured, and Tony is probably beat against Paul. Duncan will have a HUGE series and carry them to the Western Finals.

duncan228
05-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Duncan will have a HUGE series and carry them to the Western Finals.

I think so too. This one is on Duncan.

Deuces88
05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I really, really respect the Hornets. They aren't being overconfident. They are saying what they should say. Every team should expect to win. You should want the best possible result. You shouldn't want to settle for anything.

I hate when players say something like "They have home court advantage, so we're happy to get 1 of the first two games." NO. You should fight hard to get both games. Don't settle for anything. Play your best each night. I want to see both Spurs and Hornets play their best each night. IMO, this will be the best series out of the playoffs each year. It's too bad it's not the finals.

Even though I'm an big Tim Duncan fan (and I will support any team he's on, although Ginobli has grown on me) and want the Spurs to win, I don't think I can get too mad if the Hornet make this close and win some games. The Suns I could ridicule because they overrate themselves (with the exception of Nash, who I respect) and just complain about nothing. The Hornets on the other hand aren't acting like the usual inexperienced team. They are coming to win and not settle.

FromWayDowntown
05-02-2008, 04:31 PM
The Spurs' D has always effectively neutralized West, but obviously Paul's development as a premier point has opened things up for him.

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. In 11 career games against the Spurs, West has been pretty damned good. And pretty consistent as well (I can't get these columns to line up correctly!!):

DATE FG FGA FG% ORB DRB TRB BLK PTS
3/12/2008 14 22 0.636 0 10 10 0 29
2/23/2008 6 14 0.429 2 4 6 0 16
1/26/2008 15 19 0.789 0 7 7 1 32
11/9/2007 7 17 0.412 1 3 4 1 15
3/28/2007 7 15 0.467 0 7 7 2 16
1/19/2007 8 18 0.444 4 7 11 0 19
3/14/2006 6 13 0.462 1 4 5 0 14
1/25/2006 6 13 0.462 1 6 7 2 15
12/29/2005 7 12 0.583 0 3 3 2 18
12/19/2005 9 13 0.692 1 6 7 0 19
1/9/2004 0 1 0.000 2 1 3 0 0
TOTAL 85 157 0.541 12 58 70 8 193
6.4 17.5

Take out the garbage time game he entered in 2004 and West's numbers against the Spurs are somewhere around 19 and 7 over a 10 game stretch, while shooting roughly 54%. Now, those numbers are aided by the two really great games he had against the Spurs earlier this year, but there's little doubt that his numbers are really, really good.

T Park
05-02-2008, 04:32 PM
If its a big enough problem, Duncan will guard him.

That simple.

johngateswhiteley
05-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Where do you read that?

Every Hornets player has been exceedingly respectful of the Spurs.

Do you expect them to just say: "We're just happy to be here. They are so great, we can't win."

No professional should ever say that. And this group won't. They are respectful of what the Spurs have accomplished, but confident in their ability to keep up. If you're reading anything else, you're just looking for things to get indignant about.

In fact:

He doesn't even say that if they do what they do that they will win. Seriously...give it up.

i agree with you...people forgot how to read and write a long time ago. i think both teams respect each other and it should be a fun series.

FromWayDowntown
05-02-2008, 04:50 PM
I also don't get Spurs fans who think the Hornets are somehow being disrespectful to the Spurs. They should be confident and there's nothing disrespectful about being confident in a situation like this one.

The notion of "disrespectful" in today's sports world has no relationship to what is actually "disrespectful." If the Hornets were saying things like "We were looking forward to a real challenge, like the Suns would have presented," or "That conference final against LA is going to be tough because we already know we won't have home court advantage" or "This Spurs team isn't capable of playing with us and it's just a matter of time before we send them fishing" or things along those lines, it might be disrespectful.

Refusing to back down from feeling confident going into the series? That's something we should all respect the Hornets for. It's good to see a relatively young team feel confident and all the better that they have plenty of reason to genuinely feel that way!