PDA

View Full Version : Banned Foods

Shelly
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Watch out for the food police! (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fsb/0804/gallery.forbidden_foods.fsb/index.html)

1. Trans fats
Banned in: New York City

n December, New York City became the first metropolis to regulate the presence of trans fats - such as vegetable shortening, margarine, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil - in restaurants.

Commonly used for frying and in baked goods, trans fats raise LDL, or "bad" cholesterol, and lower HDL, or "good" cholesterol. Since the New York Department of Health passed the measure, restaurants and bakeries have been phasing out trans fats, replacing them with healthier fats such as olive oil and safflower oil; restaurants must be trans fat-free by July 1, 2008. Other cities, such as Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle, have followed suit and also banned trans fats.

"I made a conscious decision early on to prepare our food as healthily as possible, a decision I made for the health of my guests," says Kenneth Wood, co-owner and chef at Sylvia's, a famed soul-food restaurant in Harlem. "So the ban didn't affect me like it did some other businesses who hadn't made that choice. But overall, I think the ban has been a positive thing: trans fat is unhealthy, and it doesn't affect the quality or the taste of the food."

2. Raw milk
Banned in: 21 states

Proponents of raw milk - milk that is not pasteurized or homogenized - tout its superior flavor and nutritional value, even claiming that raw milk prevents asthma and lactose intolerance. But government agencies worry that bacteria present in unpasteurized milk poses a health threat.

Consequently, it is illegal to sell raw milk in Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming. Other states, such as Kansas, Minnesota and Wisconsin, permit sales of small quantities direct from the farm.

Spring River Dairy, based in Ligonier, Ind. - a ban state - offers "herd-shares," wherein customers buy shares of its grass-fed dairy cattle, but not the milk itself. In exchange for boarding "their" cows at Spring River, customers are entitled to a gallon of raw milk per week. In many states, herd-shares and cow-shares are also illegal.

"I can see why big dairy companies can't sell raw milk in grocery stores," says Spring River owner Lavern Fry. "It wouldn't keep. But I can't see why it shouldn't be legal for someone to buy it raw from the farm, if they prefer it that way."

3. Absinthe
Banned in: The U.S.

Absinthe is legal in the United States, contrary to popular belief, as long as the spirit's levels of thujone - a toxic chemical present in wormwood, one of the herbs used to make absinthe - do not surpass the Food and Drug Administration's limit of 10 parts per million.

Jen Armstrong, who serves absinthe at her New York City bar The Dove Parlor, says the supposed prohibition confuses customers, who insist they must be drinking "imitation" absinthe. "They're skeptical, but I explain that it's the real thing," she says.

Myths about absinthe making people crazy probably have more to do with the drink's high alcohol content - 62%, in the case of Lucid, the brand served at the Dove - than the wormwood.

"The effects of absinthe have been built into legend," says Armstrong. "There's definitely intrigue surrounding it."

4. Foie Gras
Banned in: Chicago

Fans of foie gras celebrate its luxurious taste and texture, but animal rights advocates decry the cruelty of force-feeding geese and ducks via a feeding tube to enlarge their livers before slaughter. In 2006, the Chicago City Council agreed with the protestors and banned the retail sale of foie gras.

The law is enforced by citizen complaint, and restaurateurs risk fines of up to $500 per violation. There is a loophole, however: While it's illegal to sell foie gras, it's not illegal to give it away, so restaurants and hotels just serve foie under the umbrella of other menu items.

"We sell more than ever now," Jimmy Florek, owner of Chicago Game & Gourmet, an epicurean meat and produce supplier. While he doesn't personally approve of foie gras, he's happy to serve the market: "If they don't buy it from me, they'll just buy it from someone else."

California has enacted a similar ban that takes effect in 2012.

5. Uncertified Chilean sea bass

The Chilean sea bass is not an endangered species, but it's subject to catch limits enforced by a 24-nation council that includes the United States. The flaky white flesh and high fat content have made the Patagonian toothfish (its less menu-friendly name) popular in restaurants and home kitchens - and as a result, the population is at risk of being overfished. Importers must be certified by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which requires fish to be caught in a sustainable manner.

Still, uncertified Chilean sea bass does find its way into American stores and restaurants, which is what gives people the impression that the fish is off-limits.

"The answer is not to not eat the fish," says Steve Foltz, owner of Chesapeake Fish Co. in San Diego. "That'll just put fishermen and processors out of business. The answer is to make sure fisheries have management systems in place, to keep the fish population sustainable."

6. Horse meat
Banned in: California, Illinois and other states

Selling horse meat for human consumption is legal in most states - but good luck finding a butcher with a supplier. The last U.S. slaughterhouse dealing in equine flesh closed in 2007, and the only USDA-approved country to import from is New Zealand. (The agency is currently evaluating Canada as a second source.) States including California and Illinois have banned horse meat. There's one bit of wiggle room: In states where it's not prohibited, you can slaughter your own horse for consumption.

Not many people are eager for do-it-yourself horse steaks. Even professionals hesitate to go there: "I've never tasted it, and I don't think I'd want to," says butcher Stanley Lobel, co-owner of Lobel's in New York City, whose shop does not deal in horses. Despite Americans' qualms, the delicacy is common in other parts of the world, especially Belgium, France, Germany and Japan.

7. Wild Beluga caviar

Foodies who love caviar must make do without the eggs of the wild beluga sturgeon. In 2005, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service implemented a ban in an attempt to revive the species' dwindling numbers. While the prohibition disappoints caviar connoisseurs, it has created new business opportunities for American fisheries.

"The ban has paved the way for aquaculture," says Betsy Sherrow, co-owner of the Seattle Caviar Co., a caviar wholesaler. "People are disappointed, because beluga was their favorite caviar, but our domestic caviar is excellent and sells very well. Aquaculture is the wave of the future."

8. Shark fins

Shark fin soup, a Chinese delicacy, was once an indulgence only the very rich could afford. However, as Asian economies have grown, more people are serving the soup at weddings, banquets, and other celebrations.

While expensive - one bowl in the U.S. might cost as much as $100 - shark fin soup is not illegal. However, "shark finning"- cutting the fins off a shark and then dumping the carcass back into the ocean - is prohibited in U.S. waters. Fishermen covet shark fins for their high market price, but other shark meat has little value; in addition, the fins, dried in the sun, are easy to transport, while whole sharks are not.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Shark Finning Prohibition Act, enacted in 2000, fins can only comprise 5% of a fisherman's total shark haul; the Coast Guard, NOAA, and state officials enforce this rule at sea and at the docks. Most shark fins are exported to Hong Kong and other Asian cities, although some make their way to American Chinatowns or Asian specialty markets. Prized for its medicinal properties, shark's fin soup is actually fairly simple: chicken stock, mushrooms, scallions, some spices, and the fin itself, its cartilaginous flesh boiled until tender.

Dying to try it for yourself? Head to Stella! restaurant in New Orleans, where it's a signature ingredient.

9. High-fructose corn syrup
On the endangered list in: San Francisco

In December, San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom proposed a tax on sodas containing high-fructose corn syrup, in an effort to curb rising obesity rates. (According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, about two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese.) A 2005 CDC study found that 10% of San Francisco high school students were overweight, with another 13% at risk for becoming overweight.

The proposed taxes would apply only to big-box stores, with revenue going to the city's "Shape Up San Francisco" anti-obesity initiative.

Even though the tax wouldn't apply to his small grocery store, Greg Markoulakis, who co-owns the Mayflower Market with his wife, Sophia, doesn't think it's a good idea. He calls the proposal "misguided," saying it wouldn't hurt his business but also wouldn't change consumer behavior.

"I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't see how a tax would stop obesity," he says.

Supreme_Being
05-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I love foie gras. I hope it doesn't get banned in where I live.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
the ban of raw milk is a injustice to everyone.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes. The radicals on Noo Yawk's city council think we're too stupid to order the food we ought to eat. I might have to go on the black market and get some trans-fat donuts when I'm there.

And absinthe ... the French Quarter in New Orleans still has a very old building called the Old Absinthe house. It was outlawed in the early 20th century because it allegedly made people "lose their mind." It might have been the impurities in it, or just the strength of the alcohol. Either way, I'm not sure why it's still illegal. It's legal everywhere else.

05-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Raw milk being illegal? That's a bunch of new moms doing it wrong.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 01:27 PM
8. Shark fins

Shark fin soup, a Chinese delicacy, was once an indulgence only the very rich could afford. However, as Asian economies have grown, more people are serving the soup at weddings, banquets, and other celebrations.

While expensive - one bowl in the U.S. might cost as much as $100 - shark fin soup is not illegal. However, "shark finning"- cutting the fins off a shark and then dumping the carcass back into the ocean - is prohibited in U.S. waters. Fishermen covet shark fins for their high market price, but other shark meat has little value; in addition, the fins, dried in the sun, are easy to transport, while whole sharks are not.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Shark Finning Prohibition Act, enacted in 2000, fins can only comprise 5% of a fisherman's total shark haul; the Coast Guard, NOAA, and state officials enforce this rule at sea and at the docks. Most shark fins are exported to Hong Kong and other Asian cities, although some make their way to American Chinatowns or Asian specialty markets. Prized for its medicinal properties, shark's fin soup is actually fairly simple: chicken stock, mushrooms, scallions, some spices, and the fin itself, its cartilaginous flesh boiled until tender.

Dying to try it for yourself? Head to Stella! restaurant in New Orleans, where it's a signature ingredient.

Really. I was not aware of this. I will have to try it. And how is it legal here?

TheProdigy
05-02-2008, 01:31 PM
wouldnt want to drink spoiled raw milk... that crap could kill ya

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I need to try foie gras and see what all the fuss is about.

CuckingFunt
05-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I need to try foie gras and see what all the fuss is about.

Nassssstay.

Seriously... ick.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Nassssstay.

Seriously... ick.

It always looks good on The Food Network.

I just have to try it.

T Park
05-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Good old California, telling you how you should live.

Shelly
05-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Good old California, telling you how you should live.

The only thing banned there was horse meat and San Francisco was THINKING of banning High Fructose Corn Syrup.

T Park
05-02-2008, 05:00 PM
The only thing banned there was horse meat and San Francisco was THINKING of banning High Fructose Corn Syrup.

And Foie Gras in 2012.

Shelly
05-02-2008, 05:02 PM
And Foie Gras in 2012.

Right...5 years from now, but you made it sound like it was only CA banning everything. *shrugs*