PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Kill Is What The Spurs Needed

duncan228
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/sports/stories/other/04/30/0430golden.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=54

A quick kill is what the Spurs needed
By Cedric Golden

SAN ANTONIO — The San Antonio Spurs did themselves a big favor.

No need to extend Phoenix's misery.

It wasn't a thing of beauty but the Spurs aren't into style points — they're into winning.

The 4-1 series win over Phoenix, stamped by Tuesday's night's 92-87 series clincher was an exhibit of willpower, wiles and the uncharacteristic loss of poise by Steve Nash, who is clearly in decline after committing three season-ending turnovers in the final minute.

The Spurs are advancing. We knew before Tuesday's game they would advance.

That's because the Spurs won this series — or Phoenix lost it — in the first two games. The Suns held leads of 16 and 14 points in those games and had only an 2-0 series deficit to show for it. After Tony Parker's 41 points in the Spurs' Game 3 win, this thing was a wrap.

A 3-0 series deficit in the NBA playoffs is akin to being a blind squirrel on MoPac. You may dodge a few oncoming vehicles, but sooner or later you're going to meet a certain end.

We know the 2004 Boston Red Sox came back from 3-0 down to beat the Yankees and win the World Series. Sure, the 1975 New York Islanders spotted the Pittsburgh Penguins three games before winning that NHL series.

But this is the NBA, where a 3-0 deficit is pretty much clearance to start planning vacations, draft preparation, or in the case of the flailing Dallas Mavericks — who went down to New Orleans after falling behind three games to one — a possible coaching change.

So credit the Spurs and explosive guard Tony Parker for taking care of business and not stretching this series out. If it takes 10 Hack-a-Shaqs with a couple of Hack-a-Brian-Skinners mixed in to advance to the Western Conference semifinals, then more power to them.

Speaking of power, Orlando's Dwight Howard has risen to power at the center position and is now known as Superman, a moniker once held by Shaquille O'Neal. Shaq's cape is gone — his lack of explosiveness led to several missed shots that used to be power dunks. And while he is no longer the NBA's Man of Steel, those doggone free throws remain his kryptonite. O'Neal made nine Tuesday but the bad news is he missed 11. Phoenix missed 17 as a team, the most misses in an NBA playoff game in 14 years.

Heck, it actually hurt the Spurs when Shaq committed his fourth personal foul with 5:45 left because he was taken out of the game, and the last time we checked, they don't allow you to Hack-a-Shaq when he has a towel over his head on the bench. The Suns ran off 18 of the next 27 points sans Shaq and actually got back in the game.

But Phoenix failed to close. San Antonio closed. It's what championship teams do.

So while Suns president Steve Kerr contemplates The Big Gamble that sent high-flying Shawn Marion to Miami for O'Neal, the Spurs are heading to the Big Easy for an intriguing series against MVP candidate Chris Paul and the Hornets.

The Spurs looked ragged at times, but they will be joking about their anxious moments as they prepare for the next round. Because they won anyway. It's not about impressing in these NBA playoffs. It's about advancing, baby.

Yes, Spurs fans have e-mailed me and ripped me on my blog for referring to San Antonio as an old team. I never said they weren't good, though. Veteran teams can still win in this league, and coach Gregg Popovich is a master of getting the most of out of players on the wrong side of 30.

Popovich said a sweep would have been surprised him, so he wasn't as broken up about getting blown out 105-86 in Game 4.

"If we played them 15 times, one team would win eight and one team would win seven,'' he said. "It's pretty tough to muster that same energy and focus over four straight games."

It was imperative that San Antonio won this thing in five games because the last thing the Spurs needed was to sit around waiting to play a Game 6 on the road. Instead, the next 48 minutes the Spurs play will come in New Orleans. After three days of rest.

Advantage, Spurs.

Galileo
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
good find, duncan228. Another good article on the Spurs.

BATMAN
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM
A ninja waits patiently in the shadows ready to strike. When the moment is right he strikes quickly, with deadly force, vanquishing his foe. He then slips quietly into the night....without a trace....

SAGambler
05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Is there any "expert" out there that is betting the house on the Hornets to win this series?

RandomGuy
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
This article has already been posted here somewhere. I remember reading it, but can't remember for the life of me where.

cbinge
05-02-2008, 07:21 PM
all the austin sportswriters pick the suns so fukem, when your reading a local paper you'd like a little homerism....

I've scanned this article twice and I'm still looking for something good about the spurs

Brutalis
05-02-2008, 08:00 PM
A ninja waits patiently in the shadows ready to strike. When the moment is right he strikes quickly, with deadly force, vanquishing his foe. He then slips quietly into the night....without a trace....

Until a Samurai chops his head off with one quick sweeping motion.