PDA

View Full Version : The REAL dirt on Avery Johnson

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 03:27 PM
A friend of mine with connections to the Mavs organization wanted me to pass this along. I won't say who he is, so you can take it however you like, but I promise you that it's a legitimate side of the story.

-monosylab1k

Avery Johnson is a tyrant. He's mean. He's controlling. He treats others like shit. And he will NEVER rejoin the San Antonio Spurs in any capacity.

Behind the scenes, Avery Johnson yells and demeans his players any chance he gets. He thinks he knows how to run a team, thanks to his time under Popovich and the Spurs. But the truth is - he didn't pick up a damn thing in all his time in the silver and black. And to go even further than that - Popovich wouldn't have him anywhere near his sideline or his players. Tim Duncan dislikes Avery and wouldn't play under him. The jersey retirement ceremony? That was a concession by Popovich as a way to say "Thanks for all you've done. The line ends here and this is as close to this organization that you'll ever get". Spurs fans may not want to believe this, but it's the truth. You'll never see Avery roaming the sidelines for your beloved team thanks to his inability to treat people as human beings, opting to yell and insult rather than teach and motivate. Popovich doesn't believe in his abilities as a coach.

His grating style worn thin very quickly in Dallas. How would anyone want to play under a coach that would spend most of practice yelling aimlessly at his players, like some crazed lunatic? The casual observer would see Avery as some nice, respectful, easy to love coach with a heart of gold. But that couldn't be further from the truth. He cared for his players - we'll give him that much. But they refused to play under his regime any longer and, as we saw, tuned him out very quickly.

He's a control freak and a menace. I feel for any team that would buy into his bullshit and hire him on as their head coach. You'll see something of an immediate "spark", but quickly see the life and the will sucked out of his players as they start to question their own talent and, eventually, those that are supposed to be leading them.

GinobiliLooms
05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
lol

MajicMan
05-02-2008, 04:03 PM
cry me a river dallas fans

Reggie Miller
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
A friend of mine with connections to the Mavs organization wanted me to pass this along. I won't say who he is, so you can take it however you like, but I promise you that it's a legitimate side of the story.

-monosylab1k

Avery Johnson is a tyrant. He's mean. He's controlling. He treats others like shit. And he will NEVER rejoin the San Antonio Spurs in any capacity.

Behind the scenes, Avery Johnson yells and demeans his players any chance he gets. He thinks he knows how to run a team, thanks to his time under Popovich and the Spurs. But the truth is - he didn't pick up a damn thing in all his time in the silver and black. And to go even further than that - Popovich wouldn't have him anywhere near his sideline or his players. Tim Duncan dislikes Avery and wouldn't play under him. The jersey retirement ceremony? That was a concession by Popovich as a way to say "Thanks for all you've done. The line ends here and this is as close to this organization that you'll ever get". Spurs fans may not want to believe this, but it's the truth. You'll never see Avery roaming the sidelines for your beloved team thanks to his inability to treat people as human beings, opting to yell and insult rather than teach and motivate. Popovich doesn't believe in his abilities as a coach.

His grating style worn thin very quickly in Dallas. How would anyone want to play under a coach that would spend most of practice yelling aimlessly at his players, like some crazed lunatic? The casual observer would see Avery as some nice, respectful, easy to love coach with a heart of gold. But that couldn't be further from the truth. He cared for his players - we'll give him that much. But they refused to play under his regime any longer and, as we saw, tuned him out very quickly.

He's a control freak and a menace. I feel for any team that would buy into his bullshit and hire him on as their head coach. You'll see something of an immediate "spark", but quickly see the life and the will sucked out of his players as they start to question their own talent and, eventually, those that are supposed to be leading them.

Hell, I didn't need an "insider" to tell me that. (Although I do appreciate the info, Mono.) This is the same guy who once told David Robinson that Jesus hated him because he didn't make the most of his God-given talent. Sounds like the same dude to me...

mavsfan1000
05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
die

Shank

I don't think it was intended to garner sympathy.

JamStone
Avery is an asshole.

Cuban is a whiny little bitch.

Josh Howard is a pothead.

Kidd can't shoot the ball.

Any more insightful, earth-shattering, inside news your friends wants to share with the public?

Shank
05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Avery is an asshole.

Any more insightful, earth-shattering, inside news your friends wants to share with the public?

Guess you skipped over the part where Popovich wouldn't have him in San Antonio.

mavsfan1000
05-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Avery is an asshole.

How about GTFO.

JamStone
05-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Nope. Read that part and wasn't shocked by it.

Kriz-Maxima
05-02-2008, 04:15 PM
*pretends to be shocked*

stretch
05-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Avery is an asshole.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe fuck yourself.

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Avery is an asshole.

I was asked to pass it along, and I did. No need to be a fucking prick.

duncan228
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't follow Avery or the Mavs closely, but it's not a stretch for me to think Avery could be brutal to work for. The "little general" nickname from his Spurs days implies ordering people around. For whatever reason I never took the nickname to be a term of endearment, I always thought it was a telling name.

I have respect for Avery, he was critical to the Spurs' first Title. Anyone that gets to be a head coach in this league garners some level of respect from me, it's not an easy job. But I don't particularly care for what I see of his personality.

timvp
05-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Since when did mono befriend whottt? And uh yeah your "friend" is full of ish. Before AJ was hired as an assistant coach for the Mavs, he was offered an assistant coaching job with the Spurs. He decided on Dallas because Nellie promised him a head coaching job within a couple years.

Either your "friend" doesn't know what he's talking about or your "friend" doesn't exist.

DarrinS
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
If they had won the finals in 06, had they advanced past the first round of the playoffs in the past two years, maybe the players and fans would accept Avery being a hardliner.

Pop yells at the Spurs, but they deal with it (because he's right most of the time).

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Before AJ was hired as an assistant coach for the Mavs, he was offered an assistant coaching job with the Spurs. He decided on Dallas because Nellie promised him a head coaching job within a couple years.

Because nothing changes in 3 and a half years, right?

stretch
05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Pop yells at the Spurs, but they deal with it (because he's right most of the time).

Pop also knows when to stop, shut the fuck up, and let them play basketball. Avery still hasn't learned that.

BacktoBasics
05-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I could easily see where Avery being a hardass like Pop ends up coming up as an asshole because he doesn't have the swager to pull it off

ducks
05-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I tend to think dirk wanted aj gone
after gs knocked out dallas
aj tried to get rid of dirk and dirk never ever trusted aj again

JamStone
05-02-2008, 04:39 PM
No need to be a fucking prick.

You're right. My fault. I'll try to be more like you next time.

Wait...

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 04:41 PM
You're right. My fault.

We know.

JamStone
05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
And I know.

I was asked to pass it along, and I did. No need to be a fucking prick.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/TheSteelersBlog/baby_crying.jpg

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 04:47 PM
"Tom Gugliotta is a SUPERSTAR!"

Red Hawk #21
05-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Avery Johnson is a piece of shit, this punk couldn't come up with any strategy to Help his team when Dirk was double and triple teamed in the finals and vs GS. Then the punk tried to trade Dirk, his trade plans failed but when Dirk became the franchise all time scoring leader the punk tried to take the credit. He should have been fired after the GS debacle, that guy is the reason why Dirk doesn't have a ring or 2 rings as a matter of fact. If Dirk had a real coach these past two years he would have at least 1 ring.

Dallas fans should be fucking happy they don't have that piece of shit anymore and he better not even think about coming to the Atl.

JamStone
05-02-2008, 04:51 PM
"Tom Gugliotta is a SUPERSTAR!"

Never saw that one coming...

Oh so sensitive.

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Never saw that one coming...

Oh so sensitive.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

timvp
05-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Because nothing changes in 3 and a half years, right?AJ was even more of an azzhole during his playing days. He's actually mellowed over the last few years. He was maniacal in his final few seasons in San Antonio.

If Pop was willing to bring him back then, he'd have no problem with this mellowed out version of AJ. The only reason it likely won't happen is because he'll get a head coaching job somewhere else.

A lot of that "friend's" "take" is just laughable. AJ didn't learn anything in SA? That doesn't even make sense. AJ was Pop's right hand man when creating the system the Spurs use today. The pick-and-roll heavy offense? That was AJ's X's and O's. You can't say AJ didn't learn anything in SA when he and Pop were basically 50/50 head coaches in '99. Ask Pop and he'll tell you AJ was as much of a coach of that team as he was.

Tim Duncan doesn't hate AJ. He went out of his way recently to praise AJ and say he was a great coach. Before the Spurs played the Lakers in '03 and '04, Duncan and AJ met to talk about strategy against the Lakers' defense. Outside of Pop, AJ is the coaching figure in the NBA who Duncan most looks to for tips ... before and after his playing days.

Retiring his number as a way to keep him away from the franchise? That doesn't even make sense. If Pop wanted to ostracize AJ, all he'd have to do is tell him to GTFO. Nobody would have cared if his number wasn't retired. Most Spurs fans were against it. Most of the ownership group was against it. It was basically just Pop giving recognition to a player who had a major role in developing the Spurs' winning organization -- from game strategies, to player management to the dedication to winning.

I completely believe AJ is a control freak and a guy who can jump on his players. I can believe he can even go overboard. But you can say the same thing about Pop. If he didn't win a championship in the season he did, he was about to be run out of town for being "too mean", "too much of a control freak", "too menacing", etc. Winning cures all.

But yeah, tell the "friend" to stop pulling things out of his nether regions.

Thanks.

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM
AJ was even more of an azzhole during his playing days. He's actually mellowed over the last few years. He was maniacal in his final few seasons in San Antonio.

If Pop was willing to bring him back then, he'd have no problem with this mellowed out version of AJ. The only reason it likely won't happen is because he'll get a head coaching job somewhere else.

A lot of that "friend's" "take" is just laughable. AJ didn't learn anything in SA? That doesn't even make sense. AJ was Pop's right hand man when creating the system the Spurs use today. The pick-and-roll heavy offense? That was AJ's X's and O's. You can't say AJ didn't learn anything in SA when he and Pop were basically 50/50 head coaches in '99. Ask Pop and he'll tell you AJ was as much of a coach of that team as he was.

Tim Duncan doesn't hate AJ. He went out of his way recently to praise AJ and say he was a great coach. Before the Spurs played the Lakers in '03 and '04, Duncan and AJ met to talk about strategy against the Lakers' defense. Outside of Pop, AJ is the coaching figure in the NBA who Duncan most looks to for tips ... before and after his playing days.

Retiring his number as a way to keep him away from the franchise? That doesn't even make sense. If Pop wanted to ostracize AJ, all he'd have to do is tell him to GTFO. Nobody would have cared if his number wasn't retired. Most Spurs fans were against it. Most of the ownership group was against it. It was basically just Pop giving recognition to a player who had a major role in developing the Spurs' winning organization -- from game strategies, to player management to the dedication to winning.

I completely believe AJ is a control freak and a guy who can jump on his players. I can believe he can even go overboard. But you can say the same thing about Pop. If he didn't win a championship in the season he did, he was about to be run out of town for being "too mean", "too much of a control freak", "too menacing", etc. Winning cures all.

Thanks.

It is what it is. I don't claim to have any of this knowledge firsthand, and I don't won't even say that I 100% believe everything it says. Obviously a couple days after his firing, the entire DFW area is still largely anti-Avery. I was asked by a "friend" who has legitimate connections to the Mavs to pass this along, so I did. He got it from someone who covers basketball at an all-sports network. I was asked not to reveal names so I won't. It obviously doesn't hold any weight with you, so cool beans.

TheSanityAnnex
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
*insert mono's I got nothing but a food commercial reply here*

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 05:00 PM
*insert mono's I got nothing but a food commercial reply here*not a food commercial.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

JamStone
05-02-2008, 05:12 PM

You can be so cute and cuddly sometimes, I could just pet you.

Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?

Shank
05-02-2008, 05:13 PM

Wow - didn't know Avery Johnson created the pick-and-roll offense. You learn something every day, I guess.

And you're talking X's and O's. I think mono was talking more about how to manage a team as a coach - from practices, handling players, picking the right time to praise or criticize a player, working with your owner, in-game adjustments, etc.

mavs>spurs2
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
AJ was even more of an azzhole during his playing days. He's actually mellowed over the last few years. He was maniacal in his final few seasons in San Antonio.

Stackhouse actually had to be restrained from going after him a couple years back, sounds like the same maniac to be able to provoke that in a player. He's rumored to scream and degrade his players more than actually coaching them. Sounds like the same crazed lunatic to me.

If Pop was willing to bring him back then, he'd have no problem with this mellowed out version of AJ. The only reason it likely won't happen is because he'll get a head coaching job somewhere else. This statement has the same credibility as the one by Mono's "friend," unless you and Coach Pop happen to be real life buddies. And AJ's next head coaching job remains to be seen.

A lot of that "friend's" "take" is just laughable.

So is you passing off your takes to be fact.

AJ didn't learn anything in SA? That doesn't even make sense. AJ was Pop's right hand man when creating the system the Spurs use today. The pick-and-roll heavy offense? That was AJ's X's and O's.

Proof? Were you actually an assistant coach in the organization at the time? Who gave you access to such inside information that the rest of the world has never seen? Funny how the Mavs never run many pick and rolls since that is his "X's and O's." All he ever wanted to run in Dallas was the Iso offense.

You can't say AJ didn't learn anything in SA when he and Pop were basically 50/50 head coaches in '99.

Actually, yes I can. Either that or it was all thrown out the window when he came to Dallas.

All that is just what you see on the outside. TD is a classy guy, he isn't going to publicly throw anyone under the bus. Truth is, only Tim Duncan knows Tim Duncan's true inner feelings towards AJ.

Thanks.

Relay that message to timvp

word
05-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I never really got Avery as a coach but ...who knows. Dallas certainly pissed away their 'window' as it were, especially against the hapless Heat but, shit happens. Truth is, there really aren't that many good coaches out there at any level in any sport. A select few take it to a science.

GuerillaBlack
05-02-2008, 05:51 PM
It is what it is. I don't claim to have any of this knowledge firsthand, and I don't won't even say that I 100% believe everything it says. Obviously a couple days after his firing, the entire DFW area is still largely anti-Avery. I was asked by a "friend" who has legitimate connections to the Mavs to pass this along, so I did. He got it from someone who covers basketball at an all-sports network. I was asked not to reveal names so I won't. It obviously doesn't hold any weight with you, so cool beans.

No its not. I live here, and it is a 50/50 split.

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 05:56 PM
No its not. I live here, and it is a 50/50 split.

I live here too, and it's most definitely not a 50/50 split.

word
05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
A friend of mine with connections to the Mavs organization wanted me to pass this along

come on....thread over....never should have started.

GuerillaBlack
05-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I live here too, and it's most definitely not a 50/50 split.

Yes it is. At worst, a 60-40 split, in favor of Avery leaving.

BonnerDynasty
05-02-2008, 06:17 PM

hahahahahahahah

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Yes it is. At worst, a 60-40 split, in favor of Avery leaving.

All this coming from a Rockets fan.

Indazone
05-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Avery is an asshole.

LMAO and that my friends pretty much describes the current Dallas Mavericks to a T.

GuerillaBlack
05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
All this coming from a Rockets fan.

What does me being a Rockets fan have anything to do with it?

remingtonbo2001
05-02-2008, 07:22 PM

:lol I knew this was coming.

Hate to say it Mono, but I think you just got owned by timvp.

It sounds like there are some overly sensetive Mavericks on the squad.

It takes hard work to win a championship. And sometimes feelings are hurt in the process. It happens. However, those that succeed usually get over it.

An example, Tony Parker and Popovich. There were many points during Tony's career were Pop was all over his ass. However, Tony stuck with the plan and he improved. Not everyone is emotional capable of handeling that type of criticism, especially when they've been pampered for most of their careers.

Biggems
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Avery is an asshole.

You left off the part about Dirk being a choke artist and totally disappearing when it matters most.

word
05-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Wow - didn't know Avery Johnson created the pick-and-roll offense. You learn something every day, I guess.

Ownership has it's privileges. delete...ban...change...*fuck*...did I say that ?

You should start a 'west coast offense' thread in the NFL forum and see who understands that, or it's origins. WIKIPEDIA experts come out come out wherever you are...

I laugh...he's apparently a good dude. Every once in a while I read his post game threads. Same as any board that people own. They believe people care and there are those that will blow them for a pass.

Avery invented the 'pick and roll'.

Seeya....

Mavs<Spurs
05-02-2008, 09:28 PM

-monosylab1k

Truth, monosyllabic (sp?), I think that he is a good coach and better than most coaches in the NBA and better than any that are available.

You can't fire every coach that doesn't win the title.

Yes, I understand the argument: Progressively from 1. having a 13 point lead up 2-0 against the Heat and then losing the next four games and then 2. having a great regular season and losing to the number 8 seed in the first round of the playoffs and then 3. having a mediocre regular season and losing in the first round of the playoffs.

So, yes I understand that argument.

But Josh Howard off court issues didn't help anything.

West is the best.

He did dramatically improve your team's defense (like 2 years ago). He did get Dirk to shoot fewer 3s and post up more.

I still think that he's a very good coach.

Just my opinion.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-02-2008, 10:39 PM

-monosylab1k

Thank you for making my point true. I knew it all along.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
This is the same guy who once told David Robinson that Jesus hated him because he didn't make the most of his God-given talent. Sounds like the same dude to me...

:lmao

you can't be serious.

Ninja-Defense
05-02-2008, 10:55 PM
All of this reminds of something Chucky Brown said soon after he was waived by the Spurs during the late 90s, I think.

I remember him saying that AJ was a "snake in the grass" or something to that effect. I was in high school at the time and was shocked by that statement cuz AJ was the "Little General" who was all Christian and stuff.

Anyway, I guess everything came to a head for me with AJ during the Spurs-Mavs '06 series cuz I've hated him ever since.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-02-2008, 11:11 PM
If being so tough and demanding to the point of looking mad to your players was a restriction to get a job as head coach of an NBA franchise, then Jerry Sloan or Larry Brown would've never been in the league.

timvp
05-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Stackhouse actually had to be restrained from going after him a couple years back, sounds like the same maniac to be able to provoke that in a player. He's rumored to scream and degrade his players more than actually coaching them. Sounds like the same crazed lunatic to me.That sounds exactly like what Spurs fans and Spurs media was whining about Pop before he won a championship. Newsflash: Pop has gotten in fights with players and has degraded players to the point where the players' agents asked for an apology. The NBA isn't a place for people who can't take criticism.

This statement has the same credibility as the one by Mono's "friend," unless you and Coach Pop happen to be real life buddies. And AJ's next head coaching job remains to be seen. It's called common sense. AJ is getting a head coaching job ... he'll get the pick of the litter, actually. The Mavs and their fans might not like him but he's thought of highly around the league.

So is you passing off your takes to be fact. I'm passing off facts as facts.

Proof? Were you actually an assistant coach in the organization at the time? Who gave you access to such inside information that the rest of the world has never seen? Most everything I said has been in the media countless times. Maybe you haven't heard of it because you are a Mav Fan and don't follow the Spurs as closely as a Spurs fan does. Proof of what exactly? Practically everything I posted can be referenced if you want it.

Funny how the Mavs never run many pick and rolls since that is his "X's and O's." All he ever wanted to run in Dallas was the Iso offense. I wish I had time to explain further but basically AJ's number one goal was to beat the Spurs. He knew that if you play the Spurs, their only weakness defensively is against isolations. The Spurs are the best team in NBA history in terms of getting back on defense and forcing teams to play iso offense. AJ knew that, prepped his team to master the iso sets and beat the Spurs. It was a pretty damn genius move if your goal is to beat the Spurs. He basically made his team master the elements of the game the Spurs are weakest at.

Actually, yes I can. Either that or it was all thrown out the window when he came to Dallas. Lack of understanding forum.

All that is just what you see on the outside. TD is a classy guy, he isn't going to publicly throw anyone under the bus. Truth is, only Tim Duncan knows Tim Duncan's true inner feelings towards AJ.Truth is Duncan went out of his way to meet with AJ before the Lakers series in 2003 and 2004. WTF would he go out of the way to talk strategy with someone he hates? That doesn't make any sense. Being classy has nothing to do with it.

Relay that message to timvptimvp said to wipe away the tears.

Seriously though, I get why Mav Fan is mad at AJ. You don't win a championship and the head coach is the first one looked at as the scapegoat. Coaches go from "intense" and "fiery" to "overbearing" and "moody" overnight in the NBA. The Spurs were about 24 hours away from firing Pop in 1999. Believe me, if the Mavs hadn't choked in 2006, AJ would still have a job.

And really, AJ getting fired was obvious. The moment they traded for Kidd, AJ's time in Dallas was numbered. Kidd doesn't fit with the AJ philosophy -- either on the court or leadership wise. AJ was a lame duck since the All-Star break.

It worked out well for everyone. The Mavs got their scapegoat. AJ now can get any coaching job he wants. The Spurs no longer have the co-inventor of Spurs Basketball up the highway.

LakerHater
05-03-2008, 01:20 AM
I never really liked Avery!! I hated that they even retired his number!!! :bang

Kori Ellis
05-03-2008, 01:21 AM
:lmao @ the thought that Pop wouldn't want Avery in San Antonio.

I don't even like Avery, and I assure you that Pop would. Pop wanted him as an assistant just a couple years back. AJ and Pop sat in Pop's living room and decided his best opportunity was in Dallas because Pop wasn't leaving S.A. anytime soon.

If (by some odd chance) AJ isn't a head coach next year, then I'd imagine he'll be here as an assistant.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-03-2008, 01:40 AM
LEI5qfiLzyk

I have an ambivalence towards Avery's coaching style. I think he's just misunderstood. :lol

endrity
05-03-2008, 01:56 AM
I tend to think dirk wanted aj gone
after gs knocked out dallas
aj tried to get rid of dirk and dirk never ever trusted aj again

Bingo!!!

Dirk never came out and said this, but his personal coach seriously hinted at something like this in an interview in Germany. And this year Dirk could care less what Avery was saying, he only started playing ball after Kidd arrived.

endrity
05-03-2008, 01:58 AM
Avery Johnson is a piece of shit, this punk couldn't come up with any strategy to Help his team when Dirk was double and triple teamed in the finals and vs GS. Then the punk tried to trade Dirk, his trade plans failed but when Dirk became the franchise all time scoring leader the punk tried to take the credit. He should have been fired after the GS debacle, that guy is the reason why Dirk doesn't have a ring or 2 rings as a matter of fact. If Dirk had a real coach these past two years he would have at least 1 ring.

Dallas fans should be fucking happy they don't have that piece of shit anymore and he better not even think about coming to the Atl.

Thank you!!! It's very nice to read something like this from unbiased fans. Very few people seem to notice these things, they all want to bash Dirk, as if there ever was a player to consistently go at double teams alone without team help. The lack of ball movement in those series was unbeliavable.

SRJ
05-03-2008, 06:59 AM
This is the same guy who once told David Robinson that Jesus hated him because he didn't make the most of his God-given talent.

Get it straight.

The quote was not that "Jesus hates you because of your lack of effort", it was, "Jesus would be ashamed at your lack of effort".

Neither statement covers Avery in glory, but the first quote is 10X more ridiculous than the second.

TampaDude
05-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Get it straight.

The quote was not that "Jesus hates you because of your lack of effort", it was, "Jesus would be ashamed at your lack of effort".

Neither statement covers Avery in glory, but the first quote is 10X more ridiculous than the second.

Especially because DRob is 100x the man AJ ever was.

T Park
05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
:lol

mono gets owned and he keeps coming back with that stupid ass bowl thing.

What an adult.

monosylab1k
05-03-2008, 10:53 AM

mono gets owned and he keeps coming back with that stupid ass bowl thing.

What an adult.

Very mature post of your own you fat fuck. You'd know a thing or two about KFC. I should have expected the biggest timvp cock rider on here to make a comment at some point.

Findog
05-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Avery did great things in Dallas, but he did not do a good job with this team beginning with the GS series. I don't blame him for not winning a title with this non-championship roster this year, and the Mavs have some personnel moves to make if they want to get back into title contention, but I absolutely supported the firing of Avery. If there's another coach out there that can get better results, then you go out and get him. I'm realistic enough to know those better results don't include a championship right now, but we'll see what the summer brings.

Agloco
05-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Avery is an asshole.

Dirk spends most fourth quarters playing pick and roll with Daivd Hasselhoff in the stands.....

Amended......

century
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
[I]A friend of mine with connections to the Mavs organization wanted me to pass this along. I won't say who he is, so you can take it however you like, but I promise you that it's a legitimate side of the story.

Wonderful. I've always thought of the Mavs as a real cunt organization. This confirms it.

Findog
05-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I never really liked Avery!! I hated that they even retired his number!!! :bang

Is that Deauxma in your sig? She's a Spurs fan?

SpurOutofTownFan
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Despite what the homers say.. I repeat, he needs to apologize before getting into any position at the Spurs coaching staff.

mavs>spurs2
05-03-2008, 03:14 PM
That sounds exactly like what Spurs fans and Spurs media was whining about Pop before he won a championship. Newsflash: Pop has gotten in fights with players and has degraded players to the point where the players' agents asked for an apology. The NBA isn't a place for people who can't take criticism.

I agree, that players should be able to take criticism to an extent. But that was in response to you saying Avery has changed his ways over the years. IMO he's still the same person, degrading teammates and acting like a maniac at times.

It's called common sense. AJ is getting a head coaching job ... he'll get the pick of the litter, actually. The Mavs and their fans might not like him but he's thought of highly around the league.

You're right, he probably will get another chance, I'm just glad he's not our problem anymore. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good, maybe he's just a terrible coach. Either way, both sides win here.

I'm passing off facts as facts.

No, you're saying things like "Tim Duncan felt this way.." or "Pop would do this" and passing them off to be fact.

Most everything I said has been in the media countless times. Maybe you haven't heard of it because you are a Mav Fan and don't follow the Spurs as closely as a Spurs fan does. Proof of what exactly? Practically everything I posted can be referenced if you want it.

Yes, I want it. Seeing these things documented in writing would make them easier to swallow for everyone.

I wish I had time to explain further but basically AJ's number one goal was to beat the Spurs. He knew that if you play the Spurs, their only weakness defensively is against isolations. The Spurs are the best team in NBA history in terms of getting back on defense and forcing teams to play iso offense. AJ knew that, prepped his team to master the iso sets and beat the Spurs. It was a pretty damn genius move if your goal is to beat the Spurs. He basically made his team master the elements of the game the Spurs are weakest at.

Again, I'm sure Avery's number one goal was to win championships, beating the Spurs was just icing on the cake. About the iso offense, I don't think it was necessarily JUST to beat the Spurs, alot of teams had trouble with it and it got us to the finals. My problem is his inability to mix things up, especially after we no longer had the personnel for the iso offense to be effective. In 2006, we had an abundance of scorers, slashers, and playmakers who created matchup nightmares in the iso offense. Since then, Stackhouse got old, Jason Terry no longer occasionally drives, Josh Howard fell in love with his jumpshot, Daniels was traded away as well as Devin Harris. All the pieces that made the iso offense work are now gone, and he refuses just adjust his offense to play more into the strengths of his newly acquired hall of fame point guard. That's where my problem lies, among other things(such as his ridiculous substitutions and adjustments).

Truth is Duncan went out of his way to meet with AJ before the Lakers series in 2003 and 2004. WTF would he go out of the way to talk strategy with someone he hates? That doesn't make any sense. Being classy has nothing to do with it.

Maybe there is some brilliance to AJ, I'm not saying he's necessarily the equivalent of a basketball retard. It's just that his maniac tendencies, losing the respect of his team, control issues and tendency to try to micromanage take away from his good qualities and prevent him from being a good coach. Have you ever known someone to be really smart, but was a terrible test taker? Some people also make poor decisions under pressure that they wouldn't normally make. AJ's decision making in close games this year was downright horrible.

Seriously though, I get why Mav Fan is mad at AJ. You don't win a championship and the head coach is the first one looked at as the scapegoat.

It's not just that the head coach is the first one looked at, he's a legitimate big part of the Mavs recent failures. I agree he's far from the only one to blame, but he's definately not the right fit here in Dallas and had to go.

The Spurs were about 24 hours away from firing Pop in 1999. Believe me, if the Mavs hadn't choked in 2006, AJ would still have a job.

If. But they did, and AJ choked just as bad as any player on the roster.

AJ was a lame duck since Game 3 of the 2006 NBA Finals.

Fixed.

Bruno
05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
the biggest timvp cock rider on

So true...

Red Hawk #21
05-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Thank you!!! It's very nice to read something like this from unbiased fans. Very few people seem to notice these things, they all want to bash Dirk, as if there ever was a player to consistently go at double teams alone without team help. The lack of ball movement in those series was unbeliavable.

Most people seem to not even watch the Mavs games, all they do is listen to BSPN and they decide that Dirk is a choker when in reality Avery got outcoached every single year in Dallas, Dirk never had a real second option in the 2006 finals, Dirk was constantly doubled and tripled vs the warriors and no one else could step up. Dirk is even starting to remind of me my hero Dominique Wilkins who also went through these kind of things, hopefully Dirk can overcome these things and win a ring someday because I really think he would have won the 2006 finals if the refs didn't hate cuban.

Troll_Dynasty
05-03-2008, 04:15 PM

Maybe you should put this in your sig.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/ancestron/departed.gif

CP3 Dynasty
05-03-2008, 04:29 PM
AJ is a great coach, he just needs a real point guard like me, a true MVP.

Jason Kidd can't hold me!

j-6
05-03-2008, 05:51 PM

OK, I perved up for this one. According to her blog (http://deauxmadaily.blogspot.com/ - NSFW) she sure is a Spurs fan.

some_user86
05-03-2008, 05:53 PM

Yes she is, apparently.

Big D: Go to the movies or go to the ballgame?

Deauxma: I'd go to the game. I love sports. Big Spurs fan. Love NASCAR. Love Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr. In football we have the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans. And in college we are big UT fans. Go Horns! We also like Ohio State.

LINK: http://www.xrentdvd.com/Porn_Star_Interviews/Deauxma.html

Sports & Hobbies – My favorite sport is playing sand volleyball. I also love to watch basketball and football. Go San Antonio Spurs. I am also a huge NASCAR fan. My favorite drivers are #8 Dale Jr. and #24 Jeff Gordon. I love going to the stock car races and wearing tight tops and jeans to see if anybody notices me.

LINK: http://www.dreamnet.com/deauxma/deauxmabio.html

WARNING. Though there is no X-rated images on the above links, they are not Workplace Safe (TM).

some_user86
05-03-2008, 05:54 PM
OK, I perved up for this one. According to her blog (http://deauxmadaily.blogspot.com/ - NSFW) she sure is a Spurs fan.

Ah, beat me to it.

LakerHater
05-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Hell yeah it is!! She's a HUGE SPURS fan!! She also lives here, not to sure if she is from here though.

some_user86
05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
You know, I am not really into the MILF scene, but I could get into her now that I know she's a Spurs fan. :)

The only other "MILF" I like is India Summer(s). Googling her is a little difficult because it keeps talking about Indian summers, but Freeones got her.

I'm always ready to perv up a discussion.

mavs>spurs2
05-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi, timvp

whottt
05-04-2008, 01:12 AM
timvp has yet to provide evidence that the Spurs made an offer of any kind to Avery Johnson, he's yet to prove they did more than call him which could have served a variety of purposes to benefit the Spurs...

timvp has continually tried to collect on a bet made with whottt years ago which he claims to have won yet has provided no evidence to back up...

whottt
05-04-2008, 01:19 AM
As whottt said when AJ was fired...it'll be really interesting to see if AJ winds up with the Spurs...

IF he doesn't....timvp will not have a leg to stand on.

timvp already doesn't have much of a leg to stand on due to Avery's conflicts with Spurs players...the fact that AJ turned visibly cancerous in his final season with the team....and the fact that even David Robinson said AJ was a nag who you could get sick of listening too(but he said it in a nice way).

The bottom line...if AJ doesn't wind up with the Spurs and isn't a offered a head coaching gig...timvp should admit he lost the bet with whottt(for title IIRC) and if AJ does wind up with the Spurs...

whottt will concede he lost the bet...

As for what mono said...I believe most of it, like the fact that the Mavs players got sick of AJ...as even his Spurs teamates did...

What I do not believe is that Pop hates AJ...I've been the biggest AJ hater on the board for years...but even I've never claimed that Pop dislikes or doesn't respect AJ...for Pop might be the biggest AJ nutswinger of them all...

I do not think that means AJ will wind up with the Spurs though...for the same reason I always thought that...Tim Duncan.

We'll...see..now is the time our bet should finally be decided timvp...

You tried to collect on a bet made about AJ coming to the Spurs by AJ going to the Mavs, as if AJ going to the Mavs proved how badly the Spurs wanted him :wtf , and you have called me out on that from day one...I am still willing to put it on the line...are you?

sabar
05-04-2008, 01:24 AM
AJ isn't as bad as mavfans would have you think. It's like every coach that loses, they get fired. We were close to firing Pop. In hindsight, it would have been stupid, just like the AJ firing may seem stupid in the future... but when you lose and lose, you gotta please the fans by shaking it up.

I personally would have shaken things up by dealing with Howard and Stackhouse, they should be a huge burden on why the mavs failed with as many bricks as they threw up.

whottt
05-04-2008, 01:33 AM
AJ isn't as bad as mavfans would have you think. It's like every coach that loses, they get fired. We were close to firing Pop. In hindsight, it would have been stupid, just like the AJ firing may seem stupid in the future... but when you lose and lose, you gotta please the fans by shaking it up.

I personally would have shaken things up by dealing with Howard and Stackhouse, they should be a huge burden on why the mavs failed with as many bricks as they threw up.

Sorry but AJ has a record of getting into fights with other players, he has a record of badmouthing players, he has a record of turning cancerous...all this is part of the public record..there are plenty of legitimate reasons to speculate...

This is not to say that AJ is all bad...but he's a far cry from the lovable little mascot/Mr Spur his jockers have tried to pass him off as...

The thing is...AJ has been humbled severely the past couple of years...to me it's been to a postive effect, as he seems a lot more like the AJ that played for the Spurs in 93..and not the dickhead that was here by 95.

I just want to know for all time...

Is he the little dickhead that blames David Robinson for his non-existent fucking game...or is there more to him than that...we will find out now.

Becuase if there is more to him than that...he'll wind up with the Spurs.

Findog
05-04-2008, 02:20 AM
wow, I don't always agree with whottt, in fact I rarely do, but he is spot on here.

Findog
05-04-2008, 02:23 AM
You know, I am not really into the MILF scene, but I could get into her now that I know she's a Spurs fan. :)

The only other "MILF" I like is India Summer(s). Googling her is a little difficult because it keeps talking about Indian summers, but Freeones got her.

I'm always ready to perv up a discussion.

Deauxma is fucking hot. She may be a MILF but she's taken good care of her body. Of course she's probably had surgical help with that, but not to put too fine a point on it, who cares?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-04-2008, 02:31 AM
wow, I don't always agree with whottt, in fact I rarely do, but he is spot on here.

I like whottt's views. He's a man of conviction.

Findog
05-04-2008, 02:35 AM
I like whottt's views. He's a man of conviction.

I like him when he's not trying to intentionally rile people up, but I guess that's part of a messageboard.

mavs>spurs2
05-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi, timvp

monosylab1k
05-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I like him when he's not trying to intentionally rile people up, but I guess that's part of a messageboard.

haha it's great when he does that. I've pretty much always been a big whottt fan. Unfortunately for me I'm a Mav Fan so he hates me.

poo-doe wayne-o
05-05-2008, 12:35 AM
it was a simple misalignment of the planets for avery johnson to attempt to coach a point gaurd with the abilities of jason kidd.

i would compare it to me telling tim duncan how to play power forward, and pop demanding that he respect and obey my instructions.

DaDakota
05-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Come on, that is just a cut and paste from a JVG thread.

DD

Reggie Miller
05-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Get it straight.

While I cheerfully admit that I must have misquoted Avery, I really don't see much semantic difference in the two sentences. Both are WAY out of line.

jack sommerset
05-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't get this thread. Its start off saying a "insider from the Mavericks organization" but it talks about Avery's days in SA. Avery should have been fired last year. Personally he should have never gotten the job.

z0sa
05-05-2008, 03:00 PM
If being so tough and demanding to the point of looking mad to your players was a restriction to get a job as head coach of an NBA franchise, then Jerry Sloan or Larry Brown would've never been in the league.

no shit. Youve got a team full of millionaire egos - you gotta have someone who can keep them all in line. In fact, I think thats a coach's job as much as "x's and o's."

DubMcDub
05-05-2008, 11:18 PM

It seems that you've decided to forego the formality of actually making your response in some way relevant to the original thread.