PDA

View Full Version : For HDTV which is better HDMI or Component

Thunder Dan
05-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I've been reading that for a hookup to your cable box for HD Cable they are pretty much the same. HDMI is great for BlueRay, but you won't notice much of a difference for cable/satellite at 1080p.

I have my box and tv hooked up to a HDMI currently, but am having some problems with it because of something on the cable end. They said that if I switch to components it should be fixed (basically my box resets to 480i everytime I turn it off and they say it's b/c I'm using HDMI). My picture looks awesome now, will I notice a big difference if I go out and buy components and hook those up? Anyone have any knowledge of this, I feel like the cable company is giving me a bunch of BS

to21
05-02-2008, 04:07 PM
What cable company?

Don't Time warner boxes have a setting that you can permanently set the setting to HDMI/Auto? This setting is supposed to keep the cable box display at 1080.

Thunder Dan
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
What cable company?

Don't Time warner boxes have a setting that you can permanently set the setting to HDMI/Auto? This setting is supposed to keep the cable box display at 1080.

Time Warner

yes it does but because of something going on between my TV and the Box and the HDMI cable it resets it. So everytime I turn on my tv I have to go through this setup wizard thing to manually switch it to 1080. It's really really annoying, but I have had 2 people from Time Warner out and they say that some Samsungs and Sonys do that and there is nothing that can be done except use components. I just wanna know if I switch will I see a big difference in the picture quality.

It's a crazy thing that goes on because it does it about 85% of the time and I can't figure out why it doesn't do it at times. I'll be watching 1080 and it will say it on my box, but when I turn off my tv and turn it back on it is broadcast in 4801 and won't switch to 1080 like it should.

u2sarajevo
05-02-2008, 04:34 PM
The answer to your question depends. On several factors. The obvious difference is analog/digital signal. Some people will swear up and down that the "pure digital" signal will always be better but that isn't always true. On some equipment the picture you get can differ slightly depending on the source (cable or DVD for instance). You might get a great signal via component analog signal from your cable source yet find that your DVD looks much better via HDMI.

leemajors
05-02-2008, 05:15 PM
HDMI looks noticeably better than component on Time Warner, at least in Austin. Isn't it moot about 1080 since TW doesn't broadcast in 1080?

Evan
05-02-2008, 06:01 PM
HDMI is almost always better.

But from my recent research into this since I just got a HDtv you can go ahead and get cheap ass HDMI cables and be fine.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Depends on your TV, AVR and provider.

Evan
05-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Depends on your TV, AVR and provider.

Time Warner is shit.

I just dumped it for DirecTV and could not be happier...

regardless of the insane installation/set up fees. Once you get past that its greatness.

remingtonbo2001
05-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I have TW and use components. To be honest, didn't really notice much difference with the HDMI.

Evan
05-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I have TW and use components. To be honest, didn't really notice much difference with the HDMI.

But you did notice some?

Worth it for an extra $10.

TW is getting better but they are pretty far behind DirecTV which is the alpha male for HDtv and TV in general.

I have used in order...

DirecTV
Comcast
Time Warner
AT&T U-Verse (supposed to be the answer to VIOS)
Time Warner

back to DirecTV and I am staying forever.

PlayoffEx-static
05-03-2008, 09:21 AM
HDMI looks noticeably better than component on Time Warner, at least in Austin. Isn't it moot about 1080 since TW doesn't broadcast in 1080?
Uh, yes they do, it's just 1080i and not 1080p. No one broadcasts in 1080p yet. You can only get that from your favorite hd-dvd or Blu-ray player.

TWC must be using new boxes, because mine doesn't even have an HDMI output.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 09:48 AM

it does here in Ohio. CBS,NBC,MOJO,HDNet, UniversalHD, HBO, and Showtime are all 1080i

ESPN,FOX and ABC broadcast in 720- but that is because they chose to do that because they feel sports are better in 720

I want Direct TV but my condo is basically in woods and can't get a proper signal for it.

leemajors
05-03-2008, 10:51 AM
it does here in Ohio. CBS,NBC,MOJO,HDNet, UniversalHD, HBO, and Showtime are all 1080i

ESPN,FOX and ABC broadcast in 720- but that is because they chose to do that because they feel sports are better in 720

I want Direct TV but my condo is basically in woods and can't get a proper signal for it.

Ah. Well it's moot for me since my tv is 720p. The pic looks great though. My only TW complaint is the slowness with which they add HD channels.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Ah. Well it's moot for me since my tv is 720p. The pic looks great though. My only TW complaint is the slowness with which they add HD channels.

you mean your not happy with you 15 HD channels you have currently and them adding one or 2 every 4 years?

you just can't please everyone...

leemajors
05-03-2008, 06:59 PM
you mean your not happy with you 15 HD channels you have currently and them adding one or 2 every 4 years?

you just can't please everyone...

I have at least 30 HD channels. I just have the basic HD stuff, no HBO or anything like that.