PDA

View Full Version : So is McCain saying Iraq war was for oil?

JoeChalupa
05-02-2008, 04:52 PM
McCain Implies Iraq War is for Oil (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/02/mccain-implies-iraq-war-i_n_99866.html)

My friends, I will have an energy policy that we will be talking about, which will eliminate our dependence on oil from the Middle East that will - that will then prevent us - that will prevent us from having ever to send our young men and women into conflict again in the Middle East.

Is this just an honest mistake like say...Obama has made? Or did he say exactly what he meant?

Hmm?

clambake
05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
bush already said " they were going to use oil as extortion", so this is common knowledge now.

Nbadan
05-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Why else would Republican care about Iraq - too liberate muslims from a ruthless killer? Shit just fewer of them for us to kill...

xrayzebra
05-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Why else would Republican care about Iraq - too liberate muslims from a ruthless killer? Shit just fewer of them for us to kill...

You know dan, you really do need to find out what is going
on in this world. Not just read all the BS the left wing puts
out. I would suggest you start with this book.

"Willful Blindness: Memoir of the Jihad" written by:
Andrew McCarthy.

I listen to him today and it makes your skin crawl to see
how the lefties and PC crowd has twisted this country to
the point that people like you have no idea what is going
on in this world. You know these people declared war on
us, not us on them. And not when 9/11 came along but
many years before, during Clinton's time and before then.
Muslims are not the quite little timid creatures who just
want to be left alone and us to quit mistreating them. No
they want to defeat us for just being us.

Synopsis

Andrew C. McCarthy takes readers back to the real beginning of the war on terror--not the atrocities of September 11, but the first bombing of the World Trade Center in February 1993 when radical Islamists effectively declared war on the United States. From his perch as a government prosecutor of the blind sheik and other jihadists responsible for the bombing, Andrew McCarthy takes readers inside the twisted world of Islamic terror.
Publishers Weekly

In this annotated retrospective, the prosecutor responsible for leading the investigation of "Blind Sheikh" Omar Abdel Rahman and others involved in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing dissects the miscues between federal agencies that led to that event while laying bare the challenges facing the war on terror today. The pre-1993 comedy of errors begins with the CIA's decision to funnel arms and money to Afghanistan during the Soviet-Afghan war and continues with inexplicable lapses of communication between the State Department and immigration officials (despite having been placed on a State Department terror "watchlist," the sheikh travels freely to the United States). The most enduring oversight, however, at least from McCarthy's perspective, is the refusal among academics and political leaders to confront fundamentalist Islamic tenets, the "800-pound gorilla that is somehow always in the middle of the room when terror strikes." The jihadist philosophy that guided the Blind Sheikh is traced through generations of Islamic thinkers to the Prophet Mohammed himself. Though McCarthy's language is at times cumbersome, his firsthand account of jihad's rise and the sheikh's "trial of the century" is an important contribution (and in some instances, counterpoint) to existing literature on the attack that foreshadowed disaster to come. (Mar.)
Copyright 2007Reed Business Information

clambake
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
so bush and mccain shouldn't have said what they said?

PEP
05-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Oil is worth going to war over. Why they dont have the balls to just say it beats me.

Don Quixote
05-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't put it quite like that, but yes, oil is an essential resource for industrialized nations. It's not simply a desire -- we have to have it, and if we don't have it, our entire economy crumbles. Civilizations have gone to war over resources since the beginning of history -- over water, food, whatever. So just going to war over oil is not in itself evil, not that Gulf War I and II were just about oil. They weren't.

So McCain is speaking reasonably here. We ought to develop (a) our domestic oil fields (continental shelf, ANWAR), and (b) eventually develop reliable and cheap alternative fuels (hydrogen, solar, etc.) to "reduce our dependence on foreign oil," as the cliché goes. Less dependence on oil cartels based in countries that hate us means more security, and less motivation to go to war.

ChumpDumper
05-03-2008, 12:00 AM
So we're spending $200 million a day for our oil war and the price of oil tripled since then?

Mission accomplished.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-03-2008, 03:53 AM
I wouldn't put it quite like that, but yes, oil is an essential resource for industrialized nations. It's not simply a desire -- we have to have it, and if we don't have it, our entire economy crumbles. Civilizations have gone to war over resources since the beginning of history -- over water, food, whatever. So just going to war over oil is not in itself evil, not that Gulf War I and II were just about oil. They weren't.

So McCain is speaking reasonably here. We ought to develop (a) our domestic oil fields (continental shelf, ANWAR), and (b) eventually develop reliable and cheap alternative fuels (hydrogen, solar, etc.) to "reduce our dependence on foreign oil," as the cliché goes. Less dependence on oil cartels based in countries that hate us means more security, and less motivation to go to war.

aah I see, so the rest of the countries with considerable oil deposits should begin to prepare for an american invasion huh?

Do you NOT realize how incredibly fucked up that reasoning is?? Its THEIR fucking oil, and they can sell it to you at whatever fucking prize they want. If you openly admit to having invaded a country for its oil deposits, then the world should start preparing for WW3, because who the fuck is going to stop you otherwise??

xrayzebra
05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
So we're spending $200 million a day for our oil war and the price of oil tripled since then?

Mission accomplished.

Only since the dimm-o-craps took over both houses of
Congress and implemented their energy plan they bragged
about before the elections. Oh, you mean you haven't
heard about their energy plan. No one else has either.
They have none!

PEP
05-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Only since the dimm-o-craps took over both houses of
Congress and implemented their energy plan they bragged
about before the elections. Oh, you mean you haven't
heard about their energy plan. No one else has either.
They have none!

Something like this?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/PEP007/gas2Bprices.jpg

Don Quixote
05-03-2008, 11:12 AM
aah I see, so the rest of the countries with considerable oil deposits should begin to prepare for an american invasion huh?

Do you NOT realize how incredibly messed up that reasoning is?? Its THEIR oil, and they can sell it to you at whatever price they want. If you openly admit to having invaded a country for its oil deposits, then the world should start preparing for WW3, because who is going to stop you otherwise??

No, I didn't mean to say that we're invading other countries for their oil, or that we OUGHT to invade for oil. In fact, I wasn't making a value statement at all -- I was merely stating fact. Civilizations have gone to war over resources since the beginning of time. It's a fact.

What I am saying is, we went into the Gulf twice for a number of reasons, not just oil. And, if the price in the Middle East is too high, or if buying from them raises national security or ethical questions (it does), we OUGHT to have the ability to take our business elsewhere. Hence, the need to drill in the U.S., or trade only with friendly nations, like Mexico, or Argentina (do they have oil?)

clambake
05-03-2008, 11:24 AM
if you have oil, watch your ass.

PixelPusher
05-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Something like this?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/PEP007/gas2Bprices.jpg

The sad part about your little graph is that there are a lot of Americans dumb enough to believe the President and Congress set gas prices.

SAGambler
05-03-2008, 12:19 PM
McCain Implies Iraq War is for Oil (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/02/mccain-implies-iraq-war-i_n_99866.html)

My friends, I will have an energy policy that we will be talking about, which will eliminate our dependence on oil from the Middle East that will - that will then prevent us - that will prevent us from having ever to send our young men and women into conflict again in the Middle East.

Is this just an honest mistake like say...Obama has made? Or did he say exactly what he meant?

Hmm?

Anyone can see what is ahead, if we depend on oil for energy. And that is country fighting country for control of oil. And where is most of this oil located? In the middle east.

Perhaps this is what he was referring to. Things to come. As more and more demand is made for oil from rising nations, along with the consumption we have come to demand, it ain't gonna be pretty.

BonnerDynasty
05-03-2008, 12:23 PM
We should just switch hemispheres. America to the right, everyone else to the left.

ChumpDumper
05-03-2008, 12:50 PM
:lol Did you make that graph yourself?

Had Pelosi and Reid given the order to invade Iraq, you may have had a point.

Can you make up a graph showing that?

PEP
05-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah I used some paper mache and some map colors :)

Give me a bit to get that other graph.

What's going to happen when Nobama is elected and gas prices dont go down?

ChumpDumper
05-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Are you making a graph showing Obama started the war now?

PEP
05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Are you making a graph showing Obama started the war now?
*sigh* Do you want that on the graph???

Wait, what does the gas prices have to do with Iraq?

ChumpDumper
05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
*sigh* Do you want that on the graph???

Wait, what does the gas prices have to do with Iraq?Ask McCain.

And really, you think the situation in an oil rich state and speculation regarding that situation has nothing and never had anything to do with the price of oil?

Ever?

PEP
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Ask McCain.

And really, you think the situation in an oil rich state and speculation regarding that situation has nothing and never had anything to do with the price of oil?

Ever?

Oh yeah it does. Look at last week when that Marine Merchant ship shot at those two Iranian gunboats, the price went up.

I think that the price of oil is attributed more towards the tense situation in Iran/Venezuela than to Iraq. And I'm not saying Iraq has nothing to do with the price of oil. I doubt that once Iraq starts to pump more and more oil that the price will go down.

ChumpDumper
05-03-2008, 01:32 PM
And I'm not saying Iraq has nothing to do with the price of oil.
Wait, what does the gas prices have to do with Iraq?

PEP
05-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Like I said, the price of oil fluctuates on tension with Iran more than it does with Iraq. The last time I remember the price going up per barrel was when some pipleline was blown up in Iraq and that was months ago?? Nothing going on in Iraq recently has caused any gas prices to go up.

ChumpDumper
05-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Wait, what does the gas prices have to do with Iraq?Hey, you're the one who said this. Now you're backpedaling.

PEP
05-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Exactly.