PDA

View Full Version : While Others Grow Old, Spurs Grow Better

duncan228
05-02-2008, 04:52 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8098106/While-others-grow-old,-Spurs-grow-better

While others grow old, Spurs grow better
Mark Kriegel

The first round's defining moment — not a nice one, mind you — might well have been Jason Kidd deliberately cuffing an airborne Jannero Pargo of the New Orleans Hornets. Kidd, robust of stature, even at 34, is a future Hall of Famer. Pargo, who started five games this season, goes 6-foot-1, 175 pounds.

I had always thought of Kidd as the great point guard in this era, the best since Magic Johnson. I still do. But the way he sent Pargo head-first to the floor, and more than that, his "what me?" protestation to the ref, aroused sudden sympathies for those he's said to have wronged. Among them would be his ex-coach, Byron Scott; his ex-general manager, Rod Thorn; and, of course, his ex-wife, Joumana.

"Just trying to stop him from getting an easy layup," Kidd said later.

The replays reveal otherwise. Kidd wasn't just being disingenuous; he was frustrated to the point of violence. His window — window now being the prevalent metaphor for age — has all but closed.

That moment, then, wasn't merely ugly. It was acknowledgement — no, worse still — capitulation. I think he recognized the inevitable. Youth will be served, as were Kidd and the Dallas Mavericks.

The Mavericks, the second-oldest team in the league, are done as serious contenders. The same is true of the Suns, the NBA's third-oldest team. One may still argue the relative merits of Kidd vs. Steve Nash, also 34. They may have been the best of their time, but that time — championship-less though it may have been — has now come to an end. The best point guard in basketball (not to mention the rightful MVP) is Pargo's teammate, Chris Paul, who is all of 22.

Likewise, Shaquille O'Neal has long since relinquished his title as the game's best center. Now there's Dwight Howard, another 22-year-old. So it goes: LeBron James and Deron Williams are each 23. Paul's teammate, David West, is an old man at 27. The symbolic "window" only confuses the issue. Through the first round, the playoffs have been a story of succession.

There is, however, a single glaring exception to this theme. And it brings me, in an admittedly roundabout fashion, to the point: the San Antonio Spurs. The guys at Stats Inc. inform me that the Spurs are not only the oldest team in the league, but with an average age of 31 years and 343 days, would stand to become the oldest team ever to win a championship. (By the way, for those of you keeping score at home, the oldest was the 97-98 Chicago Bulls with an average age of 31 years, 249 days.)

Outside of San Antonio, there is no cult about the Spurs, Tim Duncan's only deficiency (and a glaring one at that) being in the realm of celebrity. But they're remarkably efficient. They always play defense. And their scoring guards are consistently thrilling. Tony Parker — still only 25 himself — is proof that contrary to popular myth, marrying a starlet can have a salutary effect on your game.

So, as much as I like Chris Paul and the Hornets, the old guys win here. Age may not help, but in the Spurs' case, experience does. They know how to craft a win. Don't believe me; ask the Phoenix Suns.

What's more, the Spurs match up well with the Hornets, being strong or stronger at the same positions. At power forward, West is a worthy All-Star. But he'll be going against the best to ever play the position. Duncan has four rings, as many as Shaq and one more than Kobe Bryant, and enough to wonder if the Spurs are the least appreciated team of all time in any sport.

Still, as it concerns this series, the most intriguing pairing is at point guard. Chris Paul might be the best, but Parker — averaging a mere 29.6 points in these playoffs — will more than keep him busy. They are each little guys adept at penetrating the biggest and most ferocious defenses. Should be interesting. I hope Jason Kidd enjoys it, watching from home.

smahmood26
05-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I thought this was a pretty good story, but when it was posted earlier, no one commented. Don't know why

duncan228
05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
My bad, I looked but missed the post. I need more sleep. :)