PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker Earns His Coach's Trust With Brilliance

duncan228
05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050308.01C.BKNspurs.parker.c1721e12.html

Spurs' Parker earns his coach's trust with brilliance
By Jeff McDonald

NEW ORLEANS — There was a time when Tony Parker brought out the worst in Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

A teenager trying to learn the NBA game, Parker would make some typical teenage mistake, and Popovich would turn into the Incredible Expletive-Spewing Hulk.

His eyes would bulge, his face would take on the crimson of a Campbell’s soup can, and he would verbally eviscerate Parker as if the young point guard had wrecked the family sedan.

“Sometimes, I wanted to cry,” Parker recalled this week. “I was trying to do my best, and it was never enough.”

As it turns out, there was a method to Popovich’s raving madness.

“He was either going to break, or I was going to have a stallion on my hands,” Popovich said. “And I wanted to find out pretty quickly.”

The results of Parker’s long-ago trial-by-Pop will be on display, again, when the Spurs open the Western Conference semifinals tonight against New Orleans at New Orleans Arena.

The series should provide a significant test for Parker, who will be matched against another rising young point guard star in New Orleans’ Chris Paul.

Once considered a playoff disappointment, Parker — in his seventh season at the ripe age of 25 — has blossomed into a playoff star.

A year after a brilliant 2007 postseason run that culminated in an NBA Finals MVP prize, Parker has picked up where he left off.

He averaged 29.6 points and seven assists in the first round against Phoenix, at times dragging his team by its lapels toward a five-game series victory. Only two players — Kobe Bryant and LeBron James — are scoring at a higher clip this postseason.

“He’s playing with the same kind of confidence he was playing with last year,” Spurs forward Tim Duncan said.

Parker’s best game against the Suns came in a pivotal Game 3 victory, in which he scored a career-high 41 points and equaled a season-high with 12 assists.

He was also instrumental in the Spurs’ decisive triumph in Game 5, in which he scored 31 points — including a pair of jumpers in the final two minutes that helped keep the Suns at bay.

“If it weren’t for Tony,” Robert Horry said, “we’d probably still be playing Phoenix right now.”

Parker’s play has impressed the person whose opinion matters most. Popovich now compares Parker to the only other starting point guard to have led the Spurs to an NBA title.

“He’s basically my Avery (Johnson) now,” Popovich said, and he doesn’t make that evaluation lightly. “He runs the show on the court. He’ll have ideas that are better than mine. I might have a suggestion and he might have a different one. I respect that now.”

Parker has indeed come a long way since he showed up on the Spurs’ doorstep in 2001, a fresh-faced 19-year-old from France. The Spurs were still in fruitless search of their second NBA title, and Popovich wanted to make sure his new charge was up to the responsibility.

“I didn’t let him have any excuses,” Popovich said. “I didn’t want to hear it. If he screwed up, I left him on the floor. I got on his ass.”

Popovich didn’t just throw Parker into the fire.

“He threw fire at him,” Duncan said.

The almost-daily verbal lashings were one thing. What nearly happened to Parker in 2003 might have been worse.

That year, Spurs finally claimed their second title, besting New Jersey in six games, but Parker had struggled mightily. In the offseason, the Spurs made a run at free agent Jason Kidd, the Nets’ perennial All-Star point man.

Had Kidd not opted to remain in New Jersey, Parker might not be here today.

Committed to Parker after Kidd’s rejection, Popovich set to work crafting a point guard.

“Pop saw something special in Tony that I think a lot of people would not have seen,” said Seattle coach P.J. Carlesimo, a Spurs assistant at the time. “He had the guts to put him on the floor and let him make mistakes.”

Steadily, Parker began to learn from those mistakes. He grew into an All-Star himself. More than that, he developed into what Popovich wants most from his point guard — an extension of the coach on the floor.

At last, Popovich had his stallion.

“He was trying to push me and push me to be the best player I can,” Parker said. “Now, it feels so good to be on the same page. I’ve got a lot of freedom, and I feel like I can do whatever I want.”

The two still have their moments, and one came early in Game 5 against Phoenix.

Parker had just committed a silly turnover while driving into too much traffic. At the next dead ball, Popovich waved him over.

The coach gently asked his point guard what had prompted his ill-advised foray into the paint. Parker told him.

Popovich nodded, patted Parker on the rump and sent him back into the game.

And that was that.

spursfan09
05-02-2008, 10:43 PM
AWWW! My Tony Parker. I love him. It's awesome to have seen him grow up as a Spur player. One of the greatest Spurs of all time, and he's no where near done. Go TP go!

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2008, 10:50 PM
“He’s basically my Avery (Johnson) now,” Popovich said, and he doesn’t make that evaluation lightly. “He runs the show on the court. He’ll have ideas that are better than mine. I might have a suggestion and he might have a different one. I respect that now.”

:wow One of the best compliments I've ever heard from Popovich. :tu

ducks
05-02-2008, 11:27 PM
go pop go

DespЏrado
05-02-2008, 11:33 PM

Avery couldn't hold Parker's jock when it comes to actual talent. I know AJ is a great guy and all and I know you gotta love the guys who got you over the top that first time, and AJ may have an overall edge in seeing the entire game as a coach would, but the comparison at some point has got to be just a little bit insulting to what Parker has become.

Parker >>>> AJ

I mean at what point do Parker's accomplishments speak for themselves?

m33p0
05-02-2008, 11:37 PM
The two still have their moments, and one came early in Game 5 against Phoenix.

Parker had just committed a silly turnover while driving into too much traffic. At the next dead ball, Popovich waved him over.

The coach gently asked his point guard what had prompted his ill-advised foray into the paint. Parker told him.

Popovich nodded, patted Parker on the rump and sent him back into the game.

And that was that.
What was what?! C'mon, don't leave me hangin.

san antonio spurs
05-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Avery couldn't hold Parker's jock when it comes to actual talent. I know AJ is a great guy and all and I know you gotta love the guys who got you over the top that first time, and AJ may have an overall edge in seeing the entire game as a coach would, but the comparison at some point has got to be just a little bit insulting to what Parker has become.

Parker >>>> AJ

Pop didn't mean talent wise, but basketball IQ wise and understanding of the game. Knowing when to run, when to pull back, when to feed the post, when to kick out, who to expose on the P&R... stuffs like that

He didn't want to compare their achievements, but their authority on the floor, being a coach on the floor

K-State Spur
05-02-2008, 11:55 PM

Parker >>>> AJ

The statement itself had nothing to do with actual talent. It's been well-documented on here that Avery ran the team on the floor while Pop was still going through some growing pains in his early days as NBA coach. When Avery left, Pop tightened the reigns. That he has now given Parker some of the same slack he gave Avery is a huge compliment.

DespЏrado
05-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I know what Pop would say to me, "Get over yourself." No big deal and I know Pop meant it as highest praise for what Parker has transformed himself into.

Just want to give props to Parker. The guy has earned through dedication, perseverance, and more than a few kicks in the ass a legitimate chance to enter the HOF discussion. Something that would have seemed rediculous more than a year ago.

PlayoffEx-static
05-03-2008, 12:22 AM
I know what Pop would say to me, "Get over yourself." No big deal and I know Pop meant it as highest praise for what Parker has transformed himself into.

Just want to give props to Parker. The guy has earned through dedication, perseverance, and more than a few kicks in the ass a legitimate chance to enter the HOF discussion. Something that would have seemed rediculous more than a year ago.

If Tony really perfects his jumper and plays until he's 34 or 35, I think HOF might be inevitable. He started his career so young, and was handling the team almost from the get go. It's quite possible that he could break 10,000 points next year at age 26.

urunobili
05-03-2008, 01:29 AM
way to go TP.... the best is yet to come...

greens
05-03-2008, 03:42 AM
Really nice TP article. Thanks for posting it.

I don't like the Avery comparison because I don't like Avery. I think TP is his own player.

Tony is mentally tough thanks to Pop for staying on him 24/7. As we can see, that can be VERY unpleasant for the coach to constantly yell at his young point guard. But even now TP says that his coach helped him shape as a player and be better.

Kori Ellis
05-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Pop calls Tony his "Avery," not meaning anything about TP/Avery's playing abilities.

Pop is referencing that, when he was coaching Avery, that Avery did a lot of the coaching, play calling, running the show and Pop listened to him. He's saying that Tony has evolved into someone who Pop trusts his leadership/play calling/decision making and that Pop now learns from Tony too. He's not comparing their playing abilities.

MannyIsGod
05-03-2008, 04:11 AM

You've rapidly become such an annoying bastard of a poster. Maybe its you who needs to get over himself. Mr. I define what makes a good victory and hack a shaq isn't it.

ShoogarBear
05-03-2008, 05:47 AM

What are you talking about? Pop hates AJ, right?

Spurs Brazil
05-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Finally a McDonald article there I like