PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Bowen-Paul Mixup Water Under Bridge (And Ely Impersonates Duncan)

duncan228
05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050308.09C.BKNspurs.notebook.37ad21e.html

Spurs-Hornets notebook: Bowen-Paul mixup water under bridge
By Mike Finger
Express-News

NEW ORLEANS — The last time the Spurs played the Hornets, it was a notable night for Bruce Bowen for two reasons. First, it was his 500th consecutive start, which was the longest streak in the NBA at the time. And second, it turned out to be the last game of that streak.

Bowen received a one-game suspension for kicking Chris Paul during the Spurs' 100-75 loss on March 12. At the time, Paul was incensed by Bowen's actions. But the Hornets don't expect any animosity from that incident to carry over into the playoffs.

“I think that's kind of forgotten,” Hornets coach Byron Scott said. “Obviously, it cost him that streak he had going. But that was the regular season. It's going to be a physical series — we both know that. But nobody's going to do anything to get thrown out of a game, or suspended, or anything like that.”

Impersonating Tim: In practice this week, the Hornets have been spending a lot of time with Tim Duncan. Or their version of him, at least.

Melvin Ely, a current New Orleans backup who was a member of the Spurs' championship team last season, is serving as Hornets' personal Duncan body double. Ely spent much of the past couple of practices making cuts, taking shots and firing passes the way Duncan would – or at least as close as he could come to it.

“He did all right,” Scott said. “I think he has an advantage, having played in San Antonio. He knows those guys pretty well.”

Avoiding the whistle: Center Tyson Chandler is one of the Hornets' most tenacious defenders, but he's battled foul trouble at times, including in the first round against Dallas. Does he plan on taking his intensity down a notch?

“I'll be more careful and conscious, but I'm not going to take my aggression away,” Chandler said. “I'm going to be aggressive out there, and try to make things tough for them.”

Hack off: The Hornets made 77.8 percent of their free throws in the five games of their first-round playoff series against the Mavericks. And while Tyson Chandler, Melvin Ely and Ryan Bowen all shot under 60 percent from the foul line during the regular season, there would seem to be no natural target for the intentional fouling the Spurs employed in their first-round series against the Phoenix Suns.

Asked if he was relieved that there would be little temptation to use the tactic in the series, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich defended its use.

“I don't know what you mean by relief,” Popovich said. “Maybe it's a relief for you, but coaching-wise, one does what one thinks might help a team win, and it's a legitimate tactic within the rules.”

Staff writer Mike Monroe contributed to this report.

carina_gino20
05-02-2008, 11:28 PM
“I don't know what you mean by relief,” Popovich said. “Maybe it's a relief for you, but coaching-wise, one does what one thinks might help a team win, and it's a legitimate tactic within the rules.”

owned :lol

Princess Pimp
05-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Who will the Spurs be hacking this time? Chandler? Ely?

Cheater mother fuckers!

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Who will the Spurs be hacking this time? Chandler? Ely?

Cheater mother fuckers!

:lol Sore loser.

remingtonbo2001
05-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I still haven't seen the actual "kick", other than Bowen recieving a shot to the family jewels.

PlayoffEx-static
05-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Princess louis? Don't you need to be running along and registering your Hornets troll?