PDA

View Full Version : Lakers-Utah: Who has the edge?

LakeShow
05-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Friday, May 2, 2008
Lakers-Utah: Who has the edge?

By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register
Comments 2 (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-utah-jazz-2033474-kobe-bryant#slComments) | Recommend (javascript:recommendReview('OCRArticle2033474'))3
CENTER

Is it possible the Lakers will actually miss Kwame Brown? Coach Phil Jackson liked having Brown's post defense against Jazz power forward Carlos Boozer; Jackson would then have his power forward chase Mehmet Okur, Utah's perimeter-oriented center. Okur took a team-high 294 3-point attempts for Utah, and his 38.8 percent success rate was better than Kobe Bryant's (36.1). The Lakers are 26-5 with Pau Gasol, who delivered big in the first round: 22.3 points (per game), nine rebounds, five assists, 2.8 blocks. Okur is physical but limited defensively.
Edge: LAKERS
POWER FORWARD
The Lakers' defense will benefit from Gasol, frail but a shot-blocking presence, inside on Boozer at times. (Houston center Dikembe Mutombo guarded Boozer last round.) Lamar Odom isn't altogether comfortable pounding inside, and Boozer (21.1 ppg, 18th in the NBA) is an outstanding post scorer who can hook with both hands. Odom (10.6 rpg) and Boozer (10.4) were among the NBA's top eight rebounders. Odom shot 41.9 percent from the field and 55 percent from the foul line last round.
Edge: JAZZ
SMALL FORWARD
Andrei Kirilenko has declined since his 2004 All-Star appearance, and he asked for a trade before the season. A skilled defender, he stayed and led Utah with 1.5 blocks per game; he can contest Bryant's jumper well. Vladimir Radmanovic shot just 31.6 percent last round and is always prone to fouls and errors, but he's a potent 3-point threat who will get chances when "AK-47" roams. Radmanovic often gets fired up for head-to-head matchups with top foreign players.
SHOOTING GUARD
Ronnie Brewer's defense was one reason Bryant shot 4 for 16 in an October exhibition at Honda Center; Bryant's interest in being traded was another reason. Brewer, 23, led the NBA in steals-to-turnover ratio (1.85) and fares well with mostly in-paint shooting (55.8 field-goal percentage). His approach against Bryant is to bring early intensity and stay close. Bryant was compared to Michael Jordan earlier this season by Utah coach Jerry Sloan, who has been most impressed by Bryant's recommitment to defense.
POINT GUARD
Deron Williams and Derek Fisher became good friends in Utah last season, with Fisher playing ahead of Brewer as the top Jazz perimeter defender. Fisher is an acclaimed postseason performer but has a torn tendon in his right foot and will be challenged by Williams and his potent crossover dribble. Williams' 212 assists in March were the most in an NBA month since John Stockton's 215 in January 1992. Watch how patient Williams is with Utah's countless ball-screens.
BENCH
Ronny Turiaf, who filled in for Gasol when the Lakers won in Utah in March, will guard Boozer plenty but hardly played last round because of tonsillitis. Luke Walton is healthy, on fire and another capable post defender for Boozer. Trevor Ariza (foot) might return soon and bother Kyle Korver, who can fire as well as Sasha Vujacic. Jordan Farmar is far more potent than Ronnie Price. Matt Harpring will try to use his guile, force and fouls against Bryant. Paul Millsap offers Utah good interior energy.
COACH
Jackson and Jerry Sloan run precise offenses that are basically the same as when Jackson's Bulls beat Sloan's Jazz in the 1997 and '98 NBA Finals. Sloan went 8-1 those years against the Lakers in the West playoffs. Sloan is a disciplinarian with a fiery temper and is still hunting a championship in his 20th head-coaching season. Jackson has the highest playoff winning percentage in NBA history and is tied with Red Auerbach with nine NBA coaching titles.
PREDICTION: LAKERS, 4-1.
From a point-differential-per-game standpoint, the NBA's top four regular-season teams were Boston, Detroit, the Lakers and Utah. The Jazz, however, did little of that damage on the road, where they went 17-24. To win this series, Utah has to win at Staples Center, which is unlikely. If Utah can get hot from 3-point range and dominate the boards, the series could go the distance. If not, the Lakers will get more defensive stops and have Bryant to bring them home.

TampaDude
05-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah...Fakers in 5...Utah can't win on the road to save their fucking lives...

SAGambler
05-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Don't care who wins, but I would like to see 7 tough, physical games. Whoever we get next needs to be worn down, so the Spurs can make quick work of it.

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Utah in 6. Boozer and Williams will wreck havoc.

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Utah has no chance.

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Utah has no chance.

:lmao

Okay, we'll see

baseline bum
05-03-2008, 10:37 AM
LA in 6... maybe 5.

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2008, 10:46 AM
:lmao

Okay, we'll see

We will.

Jazz struggle with a severely beat-up Rockets team. Kobe ain't havin' that.

Lakers_55
05-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Lakers are hot, and play like a team. This will be a great series. Naturally, I will pick LA, in either 5 or 6 games.

Strike
05-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Lakers in 5.

DDS4
05-03-2008, 11:59 AM
LA in 6.

It'll be closer than everyone thinks. D Will is playing really well right now and no one on the Lakers can guard him.

BonnerDynasty
05-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Utah has no chance.

Really?

Lakers are overrated. I think it'll go 6 games.

DazedAndConfused
05-03-2008, 12:12 PM
So the Lakers are overrated if the series goes 6 games? They'd be overrated if they lost.....not if they won in 6.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Lakers. Utah has too many white guys to win anything. I say that as a white man, but that is my first analysis when it comes to basketball

Agloco
05-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Sounds about right. Lakers in 5 or 6. I don't see Utah winning at Staples. The only reason they won in Houston was because Rafer Alston and Yao were both out. Their (Utahs) road record sucks, and the Lakers have shown that they can go into Utah and beat them there.

Agloco
05-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Lakers. Utah has too many white guys to win anything. I say that as a white man, but that is my first analysis when it comes to basketball

Were you the guy who came up with the phrase "shit happens" when Boston won those championships in the 80's?

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Were you the guy who came up with the phrase "shit happens" when Boston won those championships in the 80's?

ever since the evolution of the basketball shoe in the 80s the African American basketball player only lengthened their advantage of white players. These shoes were made to help you run faster and jump higher, but ask yourself this: "do white guys- who are known to only hustle on defense and shoot 3s- take an advantage from this new form of technology? heck no they don't. The African American has evolved into superior basketball players while the whites are still stuck just hustling, grabbing rebounds and jacking up 3's. I mean look at this list:

Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul

Matt Bonner, Luke Walton, Matt Harpring, Adam Morrison, Shawn Bradley

who wins in a pickup game?

Sense
05-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Lakers in 7.

Bartleby
05-03-2008, 12:39 PM
ever since the evolution of the basketball shoe in the 80s the African American basketball player only lengthened their advantage of white players. These shoes were made to help you run faster and jump higher, but ask yourself this: "do white guys- who are known to only hustle on defense and shoot 3s- take an advantage from this new form of technology? heck no they don't. The African American has evolved into superior basketball players while the whites are still stuck just hustling, grabbing rebounds and jacking up 3's. I mean look at this list:

Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul

Matt Bonner, Luke Walton, Matt Harpring, Adam Morrison, Shawn Bradley

who wins in a pickup game?

Talk about cherry picking to make your point! Sure, Lebron, Kobe etc. would probably beat any 5 "white" players in a pick-up game, but guys like Nash, Manu, and Dirk would at least make it competitive.

MajicMan
05-03-2008, 12:45 PM
it'll be a tough series

Indazone
05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Lakers in 6

The Jazz did beat and I mean barely our Rockets squad with injuries to Battier, Alston, Yao, Francis, T-Mac, and Landry. We gave it our best shot but I figured out why the Jazz have a good record at home. It's because Sea-Level teams struggle to play the Jazz at altitude. But the Lakers have enough weapons to beat this Jazz team and they are healthy except for Bynum and they have home court advantage. No way the Lakers lose at home. They will take one game in Utah.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Talk about cherry picking to make your point! Sure, Lebron, Kobe etc. would probably beat any 5 "white" players in a pick-up game, but guys like Nash, Manu, and Dirk would at least make it competitive.

yeah but Manu is spanish and Nash is Canadian so they don't count

Otaku
05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
yeah but Manu is spanish and Nash is Canadian so they don't count

Manu is Spanish?? Wow.... :bang

Indazone
05-03-2008, 12:56 PM
C'mon choose 5 white players that matter. And why limit yourself to American white players? I would take Dirk, Kirelinko, Nash, Ginobili, and Calderon and play that squad you picked.

Lol yeah Bonner, Luke Walton, Matt Harpring, Adam Morrison, Shawn Bradley is a totally suck squad.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Manu is Spanish?? Wow.... :bang

whatever...he speaks it, and Nash speaks Canadian

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 01:04 PM
C'mon choose 5 white players that matter. And why limit yourself to American white players? I would take Dirk, Kirelinko, Nash, Ginobili, and Calderon and play that squad you picked.

Lol yeah Bonner, Luke Walton, Matt Harpring, Adam Morrison, Shawn Bradley is a totally suck squad.

dude I'm obviously joking

Texas_Ranger
05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Utah in 6

21_Blessings
05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I would take Dirk, Kirelinko, Nash, Ginobili, and Calderon and play that squad you picked.

Worst defensive team ever created. But they just might flop their way to a victory or two.

SpursIndonesia
05-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Yao, Nowitzki, Turkoglu, Ginobili, and Nash vs Howard, Duncan, James, Bryant, and Paul, that should be interesting.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
However, on the topic of race in basketball I will say this, last night was the biggest contrast in crowds I've ever seen. Atlanta's crowd seemed to be 85% black, while Utah's crowd was 98.5% white (1.5% represented the players). Not that it matters, but it was just a funny observation I made after a couple beers last night.

Plus, anyone see the creepy guy next to the visitors bench in Utah? he looks the the Marlboro man in about 40 years

ducks
05-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah...Fakers in 5...Utah can't win on the road to save their fucking lives...

they beat houston 2 out of 3 times on road in playoffs

ducks
05-03-2008, 01:28 PM
would like utah so tp will play nash, paul and williams to get to finals

lefty
05-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Jazz in 6.

Book it :toast

Indazone
05-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Yao, Nowitzki, Turkoglu, Ginobili, and Nash vs Howard, Duncan, James, Bryant, and Paul, that should be interesting.

Yao is white?!!??

Allanon
05-03-2008, 01:48 PM
they beat houston 2 out of 3 times on road in playoffs

They beat the Rockets twice in Houston who was missing their Point Guard. And yes, I think it's crazy that Skip to My Lou is vital to the Rockets but for whatever reason he is. :)

The series changed drastically when Raefer came back.

Utah at Lakers series prediction:

Games 1&2=LA
Games 3&4=LA

or

Games 1&2=LA
Game 3=LA
Game 4=Utah
Game 5=LA

Very unlikely that the Jazz steal 1 of the first 2 games so this isn't going more than 5 with a possible sweep.

MONTENEGRINO
05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Lakers in 5.

E20
05-03-2008, 03:44 PM
No Bynum?

Allanon
05-03-2008, 03:48 PM
For sure no Bynum. But Bynum's not needed against the Jazz because they're not a long team and their Center likes to take jumpshots.

armand0
05-03-2008, 04:23 PM
a rude awakening awaits :frying:
bring the sissy fakers:hungry:

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I used to think (on paper) that the Jazz could hang and challenge the Lakers for the WCF, but after seeing the Utah-Hou series, Jazz might get their asses handed to them.

Unless they have more confidence now. Lakers in 5 or 6

DAF86
05-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Lakers 4 or 5

Armando
05-03-2008, 06:26 PM
The Kobes in 7.

Armando
05-03-2008, 06:28 PM
For sure no Bynum. But Bynum's not needed against the Jazz because they're not a long team and their Center likes to take jumpshots.

That won't matter with Utah however they will miss Bynum if and when they mee the Spurs. Of course I am assuming the Spurs eliminate the Hornets.

1Parker1
05-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Lakers. Utah had a tough time stopping TMac, I don't think they're going to be able to stop Kobe. And unlike TMac, Lakers have a much better supporting cast and big man. They let Luis Scola and Carl Landry dominate them at times during that series. Gasol, Odom, and Kobe are going to have a field day with them.

I think this series is over in 5 or 6. I am very impressed with the Lakers since the last couple of weeks in the regular season and the first round of the postseason. Meanwhile, I think Utah lost some of it's initial luster as the season ended and they weren't overly impressive in the first round.

td4mvp21
05-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Lakers in 5. I said Lakers in 7 in another thread but I changed my mind. Lakers in 6 if Utah can win one on the road.

Rummpd
05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Jazz will beat Lakers - they play D and Lakers do not - mark it down.

DazedAndConfused
05-03-2008, 10:37 PM

I will. But you will probably disappear when the Lakers win.

Allanon
05-04-2008, 05:23 AM

MVP averaged 30 points on 60% shooting against the Jazz...one of the highest against ANY team. The Jazz have no "D" to stop him. This series is over before it even starts.

'nuff said.

21_Blessings
05-04-2008, 05:38 AM

Lakers are a better defensive team than Utah.

LakeShow
05-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Lakers are a better defensive team than Utah.

True dat! The Jazz are better rebounder's. Gasol is going to have to mix it up. I think he will rise to the occasion and do well.

LakeShow
05-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Lakers in 5!

kaponodynasty
05-04-2008, 09:52 AM
lets go jazz!