PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson....Bull or Laker?

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Phil Jackson coached the Bulls for 10 years (1989-1998)
and coached the Lakers for 8 years and counting (2000-2008)

When its all said and done, will Phil be remembered greatly as a Bulls coach or Lakers coach?

Lakers_55
05-03-2008, 11:17 AM
He'll be remembered as he says he wants to be remembered. Let's wait for his book after he retires.

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Phil Jackson coached? Since when? I could of sworn Jordan played and coached the team while Phil watched. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the only coaching Phil told the Lakers is "Get it to Shaq. If you can't, get it to Kobe."

Jackson just happened to be the coach of teams with good players, but he doesn't get any credit from me.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Phil Jackson coached? Since when? I could of sworn Jordan played and coached the team while Phil watched. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the only coaching Phil told the Lakers is "Get it to Shaq. If you can't, get it to Kobe."

Jackson just happened to be the coach of teams with good players, but he doesn't get any credit from me.

Youre forgetting about the Famous Triangle Offense aren't you?

m33p0
05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
tex winters.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Jackson just happened to be the coach of teams with good players

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:27 AM
tex winters.

And who implemented it in his coaching strategy?

sendman
05-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Do you really believe that players like Jordan, Pipen, Rodman, Bryant or O'Neal would tolerate an incompetent coach? Or any other players on that teams for that matter. How stupid are you?

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:28 AM
tex winters.

I was waiting for someone to imply that Phil Jackson created the Triangle Offense (which is obviously wrong). Nice response.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 11:29 AM
And who implemented it in his coaching strategy?

Phil Jackson with plenty of help from Tex Winters.

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Do you really believe that players like Jordan, Pipen, Rodman, Bryant or O'Neal would tolerate an incompetent coach? Or any other players on that teams for that matter. How stupid are you?

You think Jordan fucking cared? All he wanted was his rings. He could give a shit about what the coach did if HE was the one ordering his players around, which he was. O'Neal wouldn't care either. As I said, he just wanted the rings and Kobe was along for the ride.

:lmao for actually thinking that Jordan cared about what Jackson says

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:32 AM
O'Neal wouldn't care either. As I said, he just wanted the rings and Kobe was along for the ride.

Why did Shaq depart in 2004 from the lakers?

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Because he saw potential in Wade and he was correct as a year after he went to Miami, they won him his 4th ring.

resistanze
05-03-2008, 11:34 AM

I guess you hate Gregg Popavich too?

sendman
05-03-2008, 11:34 AM
:lmao for actually thinking that Jordan cared about what Jackson says
Don't worry, he cared. He cared enough to say that he wouldn't play for any other coach (when he retired for the second time).
And don't bring that Wizards crap (Jordan was an owner at the time, so he had to worry about their ratings).

And to answer the original question. He is a BULL, he established himself as a Bull, and things that he do with the Lakers are just the icing on the cake.

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Don't worry, he cared. He cared enough to say that he wouldn't play for any other coach (when he retired for the second time).
And don't bring that Wizards crap (Jordan was an owner at the time, so he had to worry about their ratings).

Jordan retired a second time because a higher-up was trying to dismantle the team. No one could understand why you'd dismantle a championship team. Anyway, if you watch what Jordan did on the sidelines, you'd see he did more coaching than Jackson. I don't care what he said in public, which was just to save face.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:36 AM

+1

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I guess you hate Gregg Popavich too?

Did you compare Popovich who is the most efficient coach right now to Jackson? Do you see some of the moves Popovich made? Your post is retarded.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 11:37 AM

He didn't want to share the spotlight with Kobe.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
He didn't want to share the spotlight with Kobe.

Not really, the coaches and personnel favored Kobe over Shaq. This fact contradicts with Dueces88 saying Shaq didn't give a damn about what the coaches said.

resistanze
05-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Did you compare Popovich who is the most efficient coach right now to Jackson? Do you see some of the moves Popovich made? Your post is retarded.
Has Popavich won any rings without Duncan?

Are you seriously trying to discredit a coach who has 3 three-peats?

Why didn't MJ coach himself into a championship in the first 8 seasons he was in the league, when Jackson wasn't his coach?

Who's retarded?

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Was Michael Jordan able to win a title before Phil Jackson came??
Was Michael Jordan able to win a title after Phil Jackson came?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Not really, the coaches and personnel favored Kobe over Shaq.

And if he really loved the Lakers and didn't want to leave them he wouldn't have cared who favored who, just as long as they both went out there and gave it their all. He wanted to be the face of the franchise, hence his demands of being traded.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:43 AM
And if he really loved the Lakers and didn't want to leave them he wouldn't have cared who favored who, just as long as they both went out there and gave it their all. He wanted to be the face of the franchise, hence his demands of being traded.

No you got it wrong buddy, If Shaq Didn't care what the coaches had to say he wouldn't have got mad at them and would ignore what they had to say about him therefore staying with the Lakers.

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Has Popavich won any rings without Duncan?

Are you seriously trying to discredit a coach who has 3 three-peats?

Why didn't MJ coach himself into a championship in the first 8 seasons he was in the league, when Jackson wasn't his coach?

Who's retarded?

Still you. Jordan worked hard to be at the skill level he was at in the 90s. Not talking about rings, I'm talking about coaching, retard.

You ever see when Spurs are up by like 12 and then Oberto or something makes a defensive error, Popovich calls an immediate time out. He does that to point out the leaks immediately so it doesn't happen again. He also employs different strategies and carefully constructs his team to have a good balance of offense and defense. Of course, you don't notice that because you're retarded :lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 11:44 AM
No you got it wrong buddy, If Shaq Didn't care what the coaches had to say he wouldn't have got mad at them and would ignore what they had to say about him therefore staying with the Lakers.

Yea but he did.
And so he demanded a trade.
He didn't want to share the spotlight.

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:45 AM

I mean they didn't care about the coaching because he knew what he had to do. However, people were acting like Kobe was the reason they won the 3 rings (obviously it was Shaq, not Kobe) and Shaq saw potential in Wade so he left. Simple as that.

resistanze
05-03-2008, 11:45 AM
You ever see when Spurs are up by like 12 and then Oberto or something makes a defensive error, Popovich calls an immediate time out. He does that to point out the leaks immediately so it doesn't happen again. He also employs different strategies and carefully constructs his team to have a good balance of offense and defense. Of course, you don't notice that because you're retarded :lmao

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

You HAVE to be a troll.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Still you. Jordan worked hard to be at the skill level he was at in the 90s. Not talking about rings, I'm talking about coaching, retard.

Fuckoff noob, youre the obvious dumbass here, EVERY COACH employs different strategies and constructs a team hence thats what coaches are there for. Go to the nearest corner and DIE!

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:46 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

You HAVE to be a troll.

+1

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Every coach, huh? Is that why the Spurs are always so consistent? Yes, okay every coach. LOL

Two morons trying to act like they know bball. Sad.

resistanze
05-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Every coach, huh? Is that why the Spurs are always so consistent? Yes, okay every coach. LOL

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

sendman
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Let me get this straight. It took MJ about 8 years to learn to coach himself, and Phil just happen to join the free ride. Is that what you are saying?

I'm not wasting another second on you dude...bye!

JamStone
05-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Tex Winters' most famous student, Michael Jordan's best assistant coach, and Shaq's best therapist (for a short period).

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Asshole, every coach employs different strategies but not all are successful hence thats what differs from a bad coach and a good coach. Jackson = Good Coach.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Tex Winters' most famous student and Michael Jordan's best assistant coach.

:tu

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:55 AM
You really think if the Personnel knew Jackson wasn't doing his coaching duties that he would still be the most paid coach in NBA history?

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 11:57 AM
bulls

Tacker
05-03-2008, 11:57 AM
bulls

Thank you for being on topic

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 12:01 PM
You really think if the Personnel knew Jackson wasn't doing his coaching duties that he would still be the most paid coach in NBA history?

Well there's no way to change the fact that he's the highest paid coach in history unless another coach came by and received a huge offer so I don't know what you're trying to say here.

shelshor
05-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Knickerbocker

Tacker
05-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Well there's no way to change the fact that he's the highest paid coach in history unless another coach came by and received a huge offer so I don't know what you're trying to say here.
What I'm trying to say is if you're the highest paid coach in NBA history then theres a reason why you're paid that much..... If you're not a dumbass, you'd know what the reason is

Tacker
05-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Knickerbocker

I said coach

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Thank you for being on topic

I mean. Jordan was the biggest player of his time and the only reason Jackson gets recognition is because he was Jordan's coach. It could have been anyone- anyone could have coached Jordan for all those years and won championships. Because of that, he got a job in LA where he was handed 2 more hall of famers and an owner that wanted to win. Phil Jackson won the job lottery. He never had to find ways to win, they were given to him. He shouldn't even be remember d for anything else than that: winning with great players handed to him. Let him go coach the Sonics then ask me again

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 12:07 PM
What I'm trying to say is if you're the highest paid coach in NBA history then theres a reason why you're paid that much..... If you're not a dumbass, you'd know what the reason is

Because Tex Winters showed him the triangle offense when he was with the Bulls and then when he went to LA he implemented it as much as he can. Since he was the head coach at Chicago most gave him the credit for the tri-offense, so LA believed he can do that with their team, and tried their best to get him to come to LA, hence his huge contract.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 12:08 PM
I mean. Jordan was the biggest player of his time and the only reason Jackson gets recognition is because he was Jordan's coach. It could have been anyone- anyone could have coached Jordan for all those years and won championships. Because of that, he got a job in LA where he was handed 2 more hall of famers and an owner that wanted to win. Phil Jackson won the job lottery. He never had to find ways to win, they were given to him. He shouldn't even be remember d for anything else than that: winning with great players handed to him. Let him go coach the Sonics then ask me again

:rollin :toast

DazedAndConfused
05-03-2008, 12:10 PM
LMAO at you guys responding to the obvious troll.

I'll say this about Phil. He's different. Unless you're a Laker fan or Bulls fan back in the day he probably seems like he isn't doing any coaching at all on the court. He lays out the groundwork in practice and expects his players to execute in games, he would rather they go down 5-10 pts and figure out themselves how to get out of a hole than bale them out with a timeout. So in essence you guys are somewhat right, he wants the players to be able to coach themselves on the floor instead of being helpless when things don't go according to plan.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 12:12 PM

Same applies to Coach Pop

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Same applies to Coach Pop

can't say that about Mike Brown!

resistanze
05-03-2008, 12:16 PM
can't say that about Mike Brown!
Well, he hasn't coached a team to a championship. :lol

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, he hasn't coached a team to a championship. :lol

but when he does this year it won't be because he was handed a great player like Phil Jackson was. It will be because he is a magnificent coach

Tacker
05-03-2008, 12:30 PM
but when he does this year it won't be because he was handed a great player like Phil Jackson was. It will be because he is a magnificent coach

Lebron James?

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Lebron James?

he is no Michael Jordan, everyone says that already....and Kobe won the MVP so he is better. I'll hear an argument for Wally or maybe Zdunaus but don't pull the Lebron card

resistanze
05-03-2008, 12:35 PM
he is no Michael Jordan, everyone says that already....and Kobe won the MVP so he is better. I'll hear an argument for Wally or maybe Zdunaus but don't pull the Lebron card
We all know LeBron was robbed of the '06 MVP, it's okay man. :lol

Tacker
05-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I'll hear an argument for Wally or maybe Zdunaus but don't pull the Lebron card

So youre saying Zydrunas and Wally deserves the fame and glory and not Lebron?

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:37 PM
So youre saying Zydrunas and Wally deserves the fame and glory and not Lebron?

yeah did you not watch the game yesterday? Z brought the intensity and Wally brought the baskets. Lebron was just average

Tacker
05-03-2008, 12:48 PM
yeah did you not watch the game yesterday? Z brought the intensity and Wally brought the baskets. Lebron was just average

Well then we can conclude that you are a dumbass.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 12:53 PM

no I think I would say that about anyone that takes me seriously

Tacker
05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
no I think I would say that about anyone that takes me seriously

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 12:58 PM
:lol It's a joke dude calm down.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 01:06 PM
sorry to make a joke in your thread I never knew that the topic meant that much to you

Tacker
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
sorry to make a joke in your thread I never knew that the topic meant that much to you

I like good jokes. Your joke actually makes you look like a complete dumbass.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 01:15 PM

cool that's what I was going for- Carrot Top is one of my influences

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-03-2008, 01:21 PM

I count backwards from 10 when I need to calm down. Maybe you should try it.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I count backwards from 10 when I need to calm down. Maybe you should try it.

for him you better say backwards from 2, he might get hurt counting backwards from 10

lefty
05-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Bull or Laker?

I would say KFC

resistanze
05-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Bull or Laker?

I would say KFC

http://www.cherryflava.com/cherryflava/images/kfc.jpg

Phil's recipe for success?

11 herbs and spices.

Thunder Dan
05-03-2008, 01:51 PM
http://www.stairstars.com/dyn/images/Roy53.jpg

Deuces88
05-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Wouldnt that stupid quote apply to all coaches that have championship teams. You think Pop could win a title without Ducan, Parker, and Manu. You should try thinking before you speak... I promise it wont kill you.:hat

In 03, it was only Duncan. Manu and Parker were new and didn't do much as they were inconsistent. Popovich's strategies trump other coaches. Popo and Duncan won that together.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Wouldnt that stupid quote apply to all coaches that have championship teams. You think Pop could win a title without Ducan, Parker, and Manu. You should try thinking before you speak... I promise it wont kill you.:hat

+1

Allanon
05-03-2008, 02:07 PM

+2

The most rings ever doesn't happen by accident. You need talent like Jordan, Kobe, Duncan to win it all more than once. Spur fan is actually disrespecting Pop when he says Phil only won because he had great players especially when Pop has the greatest Power Forward of all time.

TheMACHINE
05-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Dueces88 is just one of those guys that dont give credit to people. Always finding reasons to discredit them. He thinks Kobe should be 3rd in MVP voting, he thinks Phil has nothing to do with his 9 rings. Im sure he didn't get enough hugs from his dad.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Dueces88 is just one of those guys that dont give credit to people. Always finding reasons to discredit them. He thinks Kobe should be 3rd in MVP voting, he thinks Phil has nothing to do with his 9 rings. Im sure he didn't get enough hugs from his dad.

Well then we can conclude that he is a dumbass.

Armando
05-03-2008, 07:13 PM

Coaches like Doc Rivers and Flip Saunders contradict your post. Imagine if Jackson were coaching the Celtics or even Larry Brown. Do you think the Celtics/Hawks series will be going to Game 7? I give you that it comes down to the players but the coaches are just as important. Look at the 2006 playoffs. You had the Pistons that won 64 games but lost to Miami because Wade was out of his mind but also Riley just toyed with Saunders and you saw how the Finals turned out. I will give you anothert example. Suns/Lakers in 2006. There was no reason for that Lakers team to even sniff 5 games much less take Phoenix to 7 games. Again it goes back to how well he prepared the team plus it helps that D'Antoni was on the other side as well.

Tacker
05-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Deuces88 never makes sense.

PlayoffEx-static
05-04-2008, 10:01 AM

Everywhere Phil goes and has two All NBA players, he wins. I don't believe Pop has ever had that luxury, although it may be possible that DRob could have still been like 3rd team in '99. The other three titles? Just one player on the three All NBA teams. If you give Philemina that, she goes out in the first round.

Upon further review, DRob did NOT make any of the All NBA teams in 1999. Pop has won the bitch four times with one All NBA player.

Tacker
05-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Everywhere Phil goes and has two All NBA players, he wins. I don't believe Pop has ever had that luxury, although it may be possible that DRob could have still been like 3rd team in '99. The other three titles? Just one player on the three All NBA teams. If you give Philemina that, she goes out in the first round.

Upon further review, DRob did NOT make any of the All NBA teams in 1999. Pop has won the bitch four times with one All NBA player.

1999, Tim Duncan and David Robinson
2003, Tim Duncan
2005, Tim Duncan Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker
2007, Tim Duncan Tony Parker

Youre post fails

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-04-2008, 10:34 AM
1999, Tim Duncan and David Robinson
2003, Tim Duncan
2005, Tim Duncan Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker
2007, Tim Duncan Tony Parker

Youre post fails

Not really. Yours does. :lmao

Metheny
05-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I think its pretty clear that Jackson will forever be remembered world wide to everyone for what he accomplished in chigago.

when he coached the greatest basketball player of all time

mytespurs
05-13-2008, 12:17 AM

And to answer the original question. He is a BULL, he established himself as a Bull, and things that he do with the Lakers are just the icing on the cake.

Laker fans would probably beg to differ, especially if he wins another title here and surpasses Red Auerbach. :)

DazedAndConfused
05-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Phil is going to win more than just one title with LA.

Please tell me who is going to challenge the Lakers in the next 5 years

Fisher, Kobe, Odom, Gasol, Bynum

If the Lakers can get the #1 seed in the WC with the team they have now and legitimately compete for a title they will only be that much more of a lock to win next year when they add Andrew Bynum and Trevor Ariza. That is a humongous increase on the defensive end, which is where LAL is sorely lacking right now. Couple that with probably the most efficient and dangerous offense in the league and you have yourself the makings of another dynasty.

oligarchy
05-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly

dknights411
05-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Was Michael Jordan able to win a title before Phil Jackson came??
Was Michael Jordan able to win a title after Phil Jackson came?

The second question is null because everyone left after Jackson split.

hater
05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Phil's Bulls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any of Phil's Lakers teams