PDA

View Full Version : Boy, 8, Dies In Freak Soccer Accident

sa_butta
05-03-2008, 12:30 PM
PHOENIX -- An 8-year-old boy has died of injuries suffered when a goal post fell on top of him at the South Mountain YMCA in Phoenix.

Gabriel Mendoza died at St. Joseph's Hospital within hours of the accident Thursday.

Investigators said Mendoza was playing goalie and grabbed the overhead bar to swing from it when it came crashing down. The impact killed him.

He was transported to the hospital where he died at about 6:30 p.m.

Mendoza was a second grader at nearby Amy Houston Academy, a school for children with special needs.

The boy's parents were not at the soccer match at the time of the accident but his grandmother saw the whole thing.

"I'm concerned about how the goal was actually aligned with the ground," said one person at the facility.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has said for years soccer goals should be anchored to the ground. Officials there said goals tipping over have killed more than two-dozen people in the last 30 years.

In March, 1999, CPSC and the soccer goal industry helped develop a new safety standard that will reduce the risk of soccer goal tip-over.

The "Provisional Safety Standard and Performance Specification for Soccer Goals" (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99106.html) requires that movable soccer goals, except very light-weight goals, not tip over when the goal is weighted in a downward or horizontal direction.

The standard also specifies warning labels that must be attached to the goal, such as: "Warning: Always anchor goal. Unsecured goal can fall over causing serious injury or death."

YMCA Executive Director Robin Jordan said to the best of her knowledge, the goal posts in Thursday's accident were not anchored to the ground.

CPSC said most of the deaths and injuries occurred with unanchored homemade goals including those assembled by high school shop classes and community businesses. The commission said people were killed when they climbed on the soccer goal or while attempting to do chin-ups, pulling the goal down.

In a May, 1999 news release, the commission urged that all goals, whether homemade or manufactured, should be properly secured to the ground to avoid injuries or deaths associated with tip-over.

Medoza was part of a YMCA program called "Activate America" which organized the game.

Officials at the South Mountain YMCA, near Central Avenue and Baseline Road, said they were providing free counseling for employees and contacting all the children who might need counseling.

The YMCA has offered to pay for the boy's funeral expenses.

http://www.kpho.com/news/16136449/detail.html

marini martini
05-03-2008, 12:50 PM
terrible

"The YMCA has offered to pay for the boy's funeral expenses."

someones going to be paying for a heckuva lot more than that :makemyday

No CaCa!!!!!!!!!!!

What a sad day, for the family.:depressed

MaNuMaNiAc
05-03-2008, 01:19 PM
The YMCA has offered to pay for the boy's funeral expenses

WTF?? is that supposed to be a joke??

Heath Ledger
05-03-2008, 02:21 PM
That is fucking sad, and i woke up in such a good mood.................

DannyT
05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
fucking sucks dude....my kid is 5 and does that shit all the time...and I yell at him for doing it...but not because I would ever think it would fall on him but because he will fall from it....and because he has his head up his ass when the other team is scoring away

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-03-2008, 03:32 PM
WTF?? is that supposed to be a joke??

You thought it was going to read: "A YMCA spokesman said the child shouldn't have been screwing around and watched the damn game."

SpursWoman
05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
fucking sucks dude....my kid is 5 and does that shit all the time...and I yell at him for doing it...but not because I would ever think it would fall on him but because he will fall from it....and because he has his head up his ass when the other team is scoring away

My son was a goalie, too ... I did that exact thing for quite a few seasons. :fro

What a horrible tragedy. :(

baseline bum
05-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Moral of the story is soccer sucks.

DannyT
05-03-2008, 07:49 PM
You thought it was going to read: "A YMCA spokesman said the child shouldn't have been screwing around and watched the damn game."

kinda my point also...at what point do the parents step in and take some of the responsibility and get their child or grandchild of the goals

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-04-2008, 04:35 AM
This is as freak as NFL posts falling on someone's head or a basketball rim falling apart and killing two players. Or even better, a MLB player hitting a homerun and the ball breaking someone's skull.

Keep the soccer hate to yersoddingselves.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-04-2008, 04:37 AM
And it's not fuckin soccer! It's football, futbol, calcio, futebol, fussbal, etc.

I fucking said

Heath Ledger
05-04-2008, 07:10 AM
fuck futbol.

manufor3
05-04-2008, 09:48 AM
oh my god