PDA

View Full Version : Okay Guys! What Adjustments to Make?

nikegirl
05-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Cmon guys, let's list down the adjustments that the Spurs can make. Real adjustments they can make given their personnel.

I say, we let West and Paul go crazy and shut down everyone else ala Suns 05. Not quite sure though coz to be honest I have only been able to watch two NO-Spurs games.

Can Duncan honestly be contained by the Hornets all throughout the series? Coz they do have the players and tools. Although if Duncan was able to go through the physical bigs of Nuggets, maybe he can fix his game plan against NO as well. But I think NO is better-coached and they also have bigmen who can really bother Tim.

What else guys?

Deuces88
05-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Improvements:

-Get it to Duncan early so he can do his move quickly before a double comes. This will get him into his rhythm

-Buckle down and stay consistent with the defense the whole game; stop making them get so many offensive rebounds

-Keep Kurt Thomas on West for as long as possible. West can't score on Thomas. Horry may be able to do as good a job as Thomas.

nikegirl
05-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Yes, and I think they should make more crisp passes to Duncan not like the rushed passes they made last night. Also, the rebounding advantage they had on us was wow! They really need to be more aggressive on that note.

Thomas on West, I like. I just wish Thomas would stop picking up stupid fouls.

Deuces88
05-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Yes, and I think they should make more crisp passes to Duncan not like the rushed passes they made last night. Also, the rebounding advantage they had on us was wow! They really need to be more aggressive on that note.

Thomas on West, I like. I just wish Thomas would stop picking up stupid fouls.

Yea, in the 2nd half, the Spurs just became really sloppy, had bad shot selection and bad passing.

My philosophy is "Don't shoot a 3 unless the shot clock is running out or it's a clutch play and it's needed." I hate when players constantly shoot 3's when they have a lead and then lose the lead because of the misses. Also, when they're like down by 2 or 3 points with a lot of time to go and they constantly chuck up shots. Fucking PENETRATE! Get Paul and Chandler in foul trouble, dammit!

nikegirl
05-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Yea, in the 2nd half, the Spurs just became really sloppy, had bad shot selection and bad passing.

My philosophy is "Don't shoot a 3 unless the shot clock is running out or it's a clutch play and it's needed." I hate when players constantly shoot 3's when they have a lead and then lose the lead because of the misses. Also, when they're like down by 2 or 3 points with a lot of time to go and they constantly chuck up shots. Fucking PENETRATE! Get Paul and Chandler in foul trouble, dammit!

I definitely agree with you on that one! I don't get why they get too trigger-happy with the 3pointers when we have two of the best slashers in the league. Cmon Parker and Manu, just take it to the rack 7 out of 10 times!

The only time I prefer the 3pter is when they are actually hot. I like the 2005 Manu who didn't take too many 3ptrs or was efficient in shooting the 3ptrs. He had good decision-making when it comes to choosing between shooting taking 3ptrs or taking it to the hole. I remember him to be money when it comes to 3ptrs back then coz he took good and open shots.

Fabbs
05-04-2008, 07:29 AM
When ahead by 11 pts (48-37), coach like you have a clue. Spurs *adjusted* to the Hornets and went into stall ball mode. So obvious Byron Scott was doubling Tim. Our reaction is to act like deer in headlights totally surprised and go into stallball forced offense mode.

Sad. Perfect time to crank up the offense and run. Even if we just "traded" baskets with the Hornets it's still an 11 pt lead.:bang

Deuces88
05-04-2008, 07:32 AM
I definitely agree with you on that one! I don't get why they get too trigger-happy with the 3pointers when we have two of the best slashers in the league. Cmon Parker and Manu, just take it to the rack 7 out of 10 times!

The only time I prefer the 3pter is when they are actually hot. I like the 2005 Manu who didn't take too many 3ptrs or was efficient in shooting the 3ptrs. He had good decision-making when it comes to choosing between shooting taking 3ptrs or taking it to the hole. I remember him to be money when it comes to 3ptrs back then coz he took good and open shots.

This is what I want to see in 1st quarter in game 2 to set the tone for the rest of the game.

-Set up some plays for Duncan to get him into the groove early. At the very least, draw some fouls on Chandler.
-Buckle down and prevent Hornets from getting too many offensive rebounds
-Have Manu and Parker penetrate. Get Paul into foul trouble early.
-Keep either Thomas, Horry, or Udoka on West/Bonzi at all times. If Finley is mismatched on West/Bonzi, come over to help because that is like an automatic score for Bonzi and West.
-Have Bowen stick to Peja. Peja was making too many shots today. We need Bowen to do his famous molestation defense on Peja at all times :lmao

If we can do that to get the game started, we should be good. By good, I mean win by double digits. Hornets were doing everything right last night and Spurs were playing like a bunch of kindergarten kids on a Fisher Price hoop and Hornets didn't even win by much (the final score doesn't matter because Spurs threw in the towel before then and Hornets basically padded the lead).

manufor3
05-04-2008, 08:01 AM
When ahead by 11 pts (48-37), coach like you have a clue. Spurs *adjusted* to the Hornets and went into stall ball mode. So obvious Byron Scott was doubling Tim. Our reaction is to act like deer in headlights totally surprised and go into stallball forced offense mode.

Sad. Perfect time to crank up the offense and run. Even if we just "traded" baskets with the Hornets it's still an 11 pt lead.:bang

nice post :toast:toast:toast

m33p0
05-04-2008, 09:19 AM
- its a no-brainer this team needs duncan to be dominant to win. get him involved early and often. even force-feed him. post, repost, swinging the ball to the weakside to catch the defense turning its back on duncan. those things. force the defense to focus on duncan as much as possible.

- dribble drives by tony and manu. we got some of that today. however, they didn't precipitated into kickouts. true that bowen had hit a number of threes in game 1 but they didn't come from kickouts. i do believe that bowen's shooting was affected by the delay.

- defense must be alive. they were like the walking dead in game 1. it was so ugly to see. and the team MUST corral the defensive rebounds. there was one sequence where there were 4 spurs around the ball and none of them went for it. result, pargo got the ball and resulted into a 2. ugh.

- basically, the spurs have to play like the spurs in game 2.