PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Ginobili given honor by former pro league

Spurs Brazil
05-04-2008, 09:20 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050408.11C.BKNspurs.notebook.411e23a.html

Spurs notebook: Ginobili given honor by former pro league

Web Posted: 05/04/2008 01:23 AM CDT

By Mike Monroe
Express-News

NEW ORLEANS — Spurs guard Manu Ginobili has been named one of the 50 greatest contributors to Euroleague basketball.

At ceremonies held in Madrid, Spain, site of the Euroleague Final Four, Ginobili was recognized. He was named Most Valuable Player of the Italian League in 2001 and 2002, and MVP of the Euroleague Final Four in 2001.

“Of course, it's a great thing, especially because I didn't play much in European competition, just two years,” Ginobili said before the Spurs played the New Orleans Hornets in Game 1 of a Western Conference semifinals series at New Orleans Arena. “It's a big honor, because there are a lot of big-time players with a lot of history. I'm proud of being chosen to be part of that elite group.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Ginobili deserved inclusion on the list of honorees.

“It's a great honor for Manu, obviously,” Popovich said, “because there have been so many great players over the years in Europe. He definitely should be among that group with everything he's accomplished in basketball.”

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford always scouts the Euroleague Final Four, and left for Madrid on Thursday. Tau Ceramica, the team for which 2007 Spurs No. 1 draft pick Tiago Splitter plays, is in the tournament, giving Buford a chance to give Popovich an eyewitness report on his progress.

The blue stuff: Dr. Paul Saenz, one of the Spurs' team physicians, solved the mystery of the blue streaks that have appeared on Ginobili's left calf during practice sessions since he jammed the ankle in Game 2 of the first-round series.

“It's kinesiology tape,” Saenz said before Saturday's game. “It's used to stretch the muscle in a lengthened fashion.”

No setbacks: Spurs guard Brent Barry began the Western Conference semifinals in much better shape to make a significant contribution off the bench.

Barry missed nearly nine weeks after tearing a muscle in his left calf Jan. 21. He returned for the final three games of the regular season and played limited minutes in all five games of the Spurs-Suns series.

“It's feeling really good,” Barry said. “I haven't had any steps back, and I'm feeling better and better and better. The longer we keep playing, the better it is for me.”

Barry made four of seven 3-point shots and scored 17 points against the Suns, declaring it a good tune-up for the second round.

“It was good,” Barry said of his time in that series. “I just want to make sure both Pop and my teammates see that I'm out there and eager and ready to contribute. That's really what it's all about at this point. Just do the things I can do well and be ready when called upon.”

Bowen's kick remembered: Before Saturday, the last time Bruce Bowen had walked into New Orleans Arena, it resulted in the end of a streak.

Bowen was suspended for a game after the NBA ruled he had kicked Chris Paul during the Spurs-Hornets game March 12.

That disciplinary decision stopped Bowen's league-best streak of 500 consecutive games played and started.

Bowen hasn't forgotten the incident, and he's sure the Hornets haven't either.

“I'm sure they remember,” Bowen said, adding that he still doesn't know what the fuss was all about.

“I've seen a lot worse go on in the playoffs that hasn't received a suspension this year,” he said. “I wasn't happy with it, but it was a situation that took place.”

Staff writer Jeff McDonald contributed to this report.