PDA

View Full Version : Is Game 2 a must win?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-04-2008, 09:28 AM
They always say a series doesn't begin until the road team wins, but dropping game 2 could be put an awful lot of pressure on SA to win both home games or else this series will be over in a hurry.

Having said that, should SA win game 2, then obviously the HCA falls into their favor.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Spurs winning Monday night would be huge for them, but is not the end all be all. Its game 5 in NO that yall would relly need to "steal" IMO

I expect the Hornets to win game 4 in San Antonio (because Im making the road trip down there for it)

m33p0
05-04-2008, 09:32 AM
must win for the hornets. i think its more important for the spurs to be playing better than game 1 but not a must win. not until game 5 that is unless the spurs managed to lose a game at home. but it would be good to get that first win as soon as possible.

Ring of Fire
05-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Yes. Game two is a must win for the Hornets. It's important that we're heading to SA with the goal of splitting there so that we can come back home at 3-1 to take this series 4-1.

angel_luv
05-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Every game is a must win for the Spurs.
I am not in this to lose! :)

Lakers_55
05-04-2008, 09:50 AM
In a 7 game series, pressure is on the home team to win the first two games. If successful, then the situation reverses. If that works, we have a series! If there is a split in the first two, it goes without saying that another split needs to happen to keep the series competitive.

I think the Spurs have a chance to win game 2, a great chance. Then the hornets can show their road stuff or fold. A great way to test their mettle. I am thinking it will go this direction. Spurs are still the champs and nothing will come easy for any team they play. All I want to see is some nail-baiting, heart attack inducing games!

Best of luck and skill to both.

Hemotivo
05-04-2008, 09:58 AM
game 5

JamStone
05-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Not a must win game for either team.

I am curious to know when the last time the Spurs went down 2-0 in a playoff series. They generally haven't not had the HCA too much, especially this early on in the playoffs.

ATXSPUR
05-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Not a must win game for either team.

I am curious to know when the last time the Spurs went down 2-0 in a playoff series. They generally haven't not had the HCA too much, especially this early on in the playoffs.

I believe the last time i can remember was either in 2002 to the lakers or 01 when they swept us.

DAF86
05-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Nope, specially playing in N.O.

florige
05-04-2008, 10:53 AM
The only thing that sucks about this scenario is New Orleans gave us one of our worst home losses of the year if not the worst. They showed that they can win on the road. Game 2 is a must win for us imo. If we lose game 2 then I don't know....

King Ju I
05-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I think in Game 1 we proved how dangerous we can be at home. The Spurs are a team that is battle tested and I expect them to come out blazing tommorow night. Its not a must win but a 2-0 whole going back to SA isnt pretty.

still.focused
05-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I agree with Jeff Van Gundy
The only "must win" games are when ur on the verge of being eliminated
As a team they should approach every game with the same focus, intensity and maximum effort
The only things that should change from game to game are strategies

Avitus1
05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
The faster we get us a win in NO the better, but its not a must win yet..

Supreme_Being
05-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't want to be down 2-0. So yeah, I'd like to think so.

Kori Ellis
05-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Only game 7's are "must wins."

But I think if the Spurs lose game 2, they will likely lose the series in five games.

florige
05-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Only game 7's are "must wins."

But I think if the Spurs lose game 2, they will likely lose the series in five games.

Yep I agree.

Man of Steel
05-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes--it's a must game.

florige
05-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I tend to think of old games as comfort sometimes. I remember clearly when the Bulls were down 0-2 to the Knicks. Starks was pretty much bottling up Jordan and the Knicks could really do no wrong. Everyone said that the Bulls were pretty much done. They wound up winning that series in 6 games. Sure we don't have MJ, but Duncan is just as proficient when he wants to be.
Orrrr this thing can go in another direction. Like in 97 when an upstart Seattle team pretty much dismantled the champion Rockets in the playoffs. They bottled up Olajawon and really just ran them out the gym in 5 games in route to the Finals. Here's hoping that we can follow suit with the first old scenario. Man I think too much.

1Parker1
05-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Game 2 is a must win if the Spurs want to get out of this round. If they can't find a solution to stop the Hornets Big 3 of Paul, West, and Peja (or at least one of them) this series is going to be over fast, possibily in 5.

What's funny is that I thought the inexperience of the Hornets would really show in this round against the Spurs. I know it didn't against the Mavs, but then again the Mavs haven't been successfull in the postseason lately. But this edge I had given to the Spurs, I now think it's not going to be a factor at all. Chris Paul and David West run that team like they're veterans with tons of playoff experience.

florige
05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Game 2 is a must win if the Spurs want to get out of this round. If they can't find a solution to stop the Hornets Big 3 of Paul, West, and Peja (or at least one of them) this series is going to be over fast, possibily in 5.

What's funny is that I thought the inexperience of the Hornets would really show in this round against the Spurs. I know it didn't against the Mavs, but then again the Mavs haven't been successfull in the postseason lately. But this edge I had given to the Spurs, I now think it's not going to be a factor at all. Chris Paul and David West run that team like they're veterans with tons of playoff experience.

It's really no pressure at all on them. Remember they are the surprise team this year. They are just out there having fun. Which is probably the most dangerous team to face when they are actually that damn good.

1Parker1
05-04-2008, 12:20 PM
It's really no pressure at all on them. Remember they are the surprise team this year. They are just out there having fun. Which is probably the most dangerous team to face when they are actually that damn good.

Yea, but I expected that if it was a close game, as most playoff games usually are, their inexperience against a veteran Spurs team will get the better of them and they'll make unforced errors. However, looking at Chris Paul and West, it's hard to see them getting rattled. They have a lot of poise.

VoiceofReason
05-04-2008, 12:27 PM
That's what some of the Hornets posters have been saying. This team may get a little frustrated at times, but they will not wilt or be intimidated. More importantly, they rarely make stupid mistakes. Twice now they've come back from a halftime deficit against two more "experienced" opponents.

I'm not kidding myself. The Spurs are a great, well coached team, and I know they will come back with a big effort in Game 2. But if they end up winning the series, it will be because they simply beat the Hornets on the court and not because they got inside their heads. By the way, Hornets in 6 (or less)

polandprzem
05-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Must lose game

Shit, even if the spurs win this one no one is sure the spur will win both at home

shelshor
05-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Spurs have to win one in NOLA-might as well be game 2

Darrin
05-04-2008, 02:00 PM
They always say a series doesn't begin until the road team wins, but dropping game 2 could be put an awful lot of pressure on SA to win both home games or else this series will be over in a hurry.

Having said that, should SA win game 2, then obviously the HCA falls into their favor.

They need a split and they didn't win the first game. The Spurs looks tired in comparison to New Orleans. Their shots didn't fall and their options weren't great all game long. They need Duncan to do his usual 30 and 15 thing in clutch playoff games.

BonnerDynasty
05-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Every game is a must win.

That's not some lame cliche. The Hornets are good. The Spurs can't afford to lose games.

Spurs da champs
05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Game 2 is a must win at least win one there and win the other 2 here then win there.

Fabbs
05-04-2008, 02:18 PM
yes Gm 2 is a must win.
Poppycock does not know how to coach with a large lead, let alone a large deficit.

Also the pampering of West and CPuss3 by the refs needs to stop now. Hopefully they have viewed tape of CPs lame assed after the play flagrant inducing flop attempt on Bowen. If i was commisioner that would result in a series ban if done by any player on any team.

beachwood
05-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Game 2 is a must win. There's no doubt.

oski1000
05-04-2008, 02:49 PM
I think so....the series will be easier and our team needs to save energy for the rest of the playoffs...:flag::flag::flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: :lobt2::lobt2:

brettn
05-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Yea, but I expected that if it was a close game, as most playoff games usually are, their inexperience against a veteran Spurs team will get the better of them and they'll make unforced errors. However, looking at Chris Paul and West, it's hard to see them getting rattled. They have a lot of poise.

Paul is a ticking time bomb. He WILL implode this series when things start heading south for the Hornets. Book it.

NIH
05-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I love how one incident that happened years ago is the basis for these retarded predictions. And this series is only headed south for the Spurs...

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 03:14 PM
The Hive will be rocking on Monday

greens
05-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Game Two is a must win for the Spurs. No doubt about it. If the Spurs want to get to the next round, they cannot go 0-2. They are playing against a very young and energetic team. I think all the Spurs players and coaches know that they need to win Game two.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I think in Game 1 we proved how dangerous we can be at home. The Spurs are a team that is battle tested and I expect them to come out blazing tommorow night. Its not a must win but a 2-0 whole going back to SA isnt pretty.

I didn't know you were playing - what's your name?

E20
05-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes, every game is a must win. The Hornets do not scare me, it is the Western Confrence Semi Finals that scare me, Spurs have not been able to break past this barrier after a title run for 5 years. The Spurs could be playing the Sonics and every game still is a must win.

VoiceofReason
05-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Paul is a ticking time bomb. He WILL implode this series when things start heading south for the Hornets. Book it.

What NIH said.

Marco
05-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Game two is a must win because I don't see NO lose 4 of next 5.

nfg3
05-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Not neccessarily a must win but the Spurs have got to get TD going. Either he passses out of the double team faster and we penetrate or hit the shot. There were a lot of open looks that didn't go down in game 1. The Spurs will come out hungry in game 2 becasue if they don't this series wont go the distance. The Spurs have got to match NO's energy and control the tempo. The adjustments Pop makes for game 2 will tell us the Spurs fate. If we defeat the double team of TD then we will win but if not then the Spurs are down 0-2 and things don't look bright.

If the Spurs play hard and start to get things rolling in game 2 but still lose then there might be a "sliver lining" to the game. I have faith in the Spurs when they are playing their type of game even if down 0-2. It's when we don't get the ball/people movement that usually leads to our demise.

Allanon
05-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Game 2 is a must win for the Spurs:

1) If the Spurs win game 2, they can go to New Orleans looking for 2 wins but a split would still be successful
2) If the Spurs lose, they give the bees more confidence, you never want to give another team confidence
3) Losing game 2 would almost guarantee a 7 game series (for the Spurs to win the series). In the long title run hopes, that's very bad for an aging team.

And last but not least, if the Spurs lose game 2, imagine the number of cliff jumper threads there will be here for the next week :D

SpursWoman
05-05-2008, 05:39 AM
For the forum it is, at least. Then pooh will go back into hiding. :spin

Deuces88
05-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Spurs are moving onto WCF by the end of game 5. Seeing as the Spurs had the worst game in a long while Hornets players were playing their best and Hornets were only up 8 or 10 with 5 minutes to do. If Spurs play their usual offensive game and defense, this should be wrapped out.

Home Court means nothing as it doesn't affect the Spurs. Spurs in 5. Let's end this.

pooh
05-07-2008, 09:34 PM
For the forum it is, at least. Then pooh will go back into hiding. :spin

Hide this...:P