PDA

View Full Version : Heading down to San Antonio

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 09:37 AM
for Game 4.

Any suggestions on things to do? Places to eat?

Who's going to buy me a beer?

SPARKY
05-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Buy your own.

Summers
05-04-2008, 09:52 AM
for Game 4.

:lol

I love the drive from here to NO. It's all interstate and beautiful. Have some good Mexican food and a margarita on the Riverwalk. Drive safe!

kaponodynasty
05-04-2008, 09:55 AM
cool.

George Gervin's Afro
05-04-2008, 10:00 AM
stay away from the riverwalk.. very expensive..

DarrinS
05-04-2008, 10:20 AM
There's a lot of cool places near the AT&T center. It's in a very ritzy part of town.

:toast

Make sure you wear your Hornets jersey.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Haha its going to be fun. Staying at a Hotel within walking distance of the AT&T Center.

Im expecting a fun trip. I dont want to be obnoxious and try and pick fights with the opposing fans...and you know that I am going to be wearing my CP3 jersey

Any good restaurants I should try that are not just set up for tourists? I like to try and hit some local spots and get some authentic mexican food.

I guess ill be buying my own beers, too.

SAGambler
05-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Pericos is a nice Mex rest if you don't mind driving out to the NW side of town.

Kori Ellis
05-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Haha its going to be fun. Staying at a Hotel within walking distance of the AT&T Center.

Im expecting a fun trip. I dont want to be obnoxious and try and pick fights with the opposing fans...and you know that I am going to be wearing my CP3 jersey

Any good restaurants I should try that are not just set up for tourists? I like to try and hit some local spots and get some authentic mexican food.

I didn't know there were any hotels within walking distance of the AT&T (I'm not joking).

There's tons of small Mexican restaurants that are very good and authentic. I'm sure that people here can recommend some good ones.

Enjoy your stay here.

El_Mago
05-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Staying near a hotel the AT&T center?

Yeah, good luck.

Not the most nicest part of town.

If you want to enjoy the tourist side of SA....then definitely Down Town.

Good Mexican Food? La Fogota.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I know its probably not the best part of town because we got the room for pretty cheap, but Im not all too concerned about it.

So I should stay away from the Riverwalk area?

Man of Steel
05-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Not many good Mexican restaurants downtown open a night. Most of them are tourist traps geared at people who don't know the difference between good Mexican food and junk.

If determined to stay downtown, I'd get a cab to take me to Rosario's. Great food. Probably not open after the game, though.

Best bet: have dinner before the game and not afterwards.

Best bet--get out of downtown area--tell cabbie to take you to Los Barrios on Blanco Road. You can google the restaurant and find out it is one of the finest restaurants for Mexican food in the United States.

Definitely worth a cab ride. Will be cheaper than the junk they sell downtown on the Riverwalk (yuck--most of that food is just terrible!).

Did you say you are staying in a hotel within walking distance to the AT&T?

Do yourself a favor--

Do NOT walk to the AT&T--under ANY circumstances--that is life threatening and I am NOT kidding.

You won't get hassled for wearing Hornets gear inside the AT&T Center.

Good luck--have fun but be careful.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I didn't know there were any hotels within walking distance of the AT&T (I'm not joking).

There's tons of small Mexican restaurants that are very good and authentic. I'm sure that people here can recommend some good ones.

Enjoy your stay here.

There's probably one or two, but the term "roach" is probably easily associated with its quality.

Kori Ellis
05-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I know its probably not the best part of town because we got the room for pretty cheap, but Im not all too concerned about it.

I don't think you should stay away from it. There are lots of fun places there. It's "touristy" but there's good places to have drinks and a bite to eat.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 12:14 PM
thanks for the advice guys.

BlackSwordsMan
05-04-2008, 12:16 PM
You can stay at my place if Spurs win games 2 and 3

Nolazach
05-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I always go to the same mexican resturant while in town. La Catina I think. Its downtown, usually really good.

The worst dining experience I ever had was at Dick's at the riverwalk. I knew the staff were supposed to be mean, I didn't know the food sucked too. There is really good food on the Riverwalk though. Its a good central spot because you can walk to the Alamo (really can't visit SA without taking a picture in front of it) and there are fun things to do in that area. I also like Fiesta Texas, with its FREE water park, also the best water park in the world is just a short drive up I-35. Nightlife I know nothing about, I usually visit SA in day trips from Austin or while visiting family at Randolph AFB. There are bad areas, but nothing you haven't seen here. Their bad areas are kept up nicer than ours.

The really bad thing is the location of the arena. When you go downtown you see this big nice arena, but thats not the right one. Thats the Alamodome, where the San Antonio Saints played (thats what the shirt i bought there said), bastard mayor. Anyway their NBA arena is not close or convienent to downtown touristy areas.

All in all its a really nice city and is a better place to visit than Houston or Dallas by far.

BlackSwordsMan
05-04-2008, 12:23 PM
lol san antonio saints
After last years performance they can stay in New Orleans.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 12:24 PM
You can stay at my place if Spurs win games 2 and 3

:lol

i really hope i wont have to take you up on that offer...

mrsmaalox
05-04-2008, 12:26 PM
You should do the Riverwalk; don't have to eat there, but there's lots of nice places for drinks and appetizers. Mi Tierra downtown is open 24 hrs. Yes, it's very touristy because it's the heart of El Mercado (Mexican market) but I've found the place to usually be 50/50 locals and tourists. The food is good and really not that expensive when you compare to other places that cater to tourists. And I will agree with what everyone else says about staying near the AT&T; definitely don't wanna be around that area (day or night) sticking out like a sore thumb!!!

TKG
05-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, as other's have posted, around ATT center is not the nicest area. Be careful around that area, especially in a NO jersey. Have fun while you're down here, but I still hope your team loses.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 12:33 PM
any good hotels yall would reccomend?

because we can still switch it since it doesnt seem like we picked a good one.

Nolazach
05-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I like the Hilton Riverwalk. Whenever I stay in SA thats where I stay. There are quite a few hotels in that area. I would check travelocity or priceline. If you plan to do anything else while in town, the riverwalk area is a great central hub. The mercado is worth going to as well, good trinket and gift shopping. I am sure there is a bus or something to go to the Arena.

Last time I went to a sports game there, I was wearing a Saints jersey. The opposing fans were wearing Falcons jerseys'. I have no idea what the attitude toward visiting fans is, but I haven't heard any horror stories like I do about Philly or Chi-town.

Slomo
05-04-2008, 12:48 PM

How much do you want to spend on your hotel?

spyder
05-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't come

Nolazach
05-04-2008, 01:38 PM
If the girl on Spyders sig, sat behind your bench (a la the "Hawks" girl) I don't think we would be able to pay attention to the game at all. The only sounds would be the drops of our drool. That girl is a 12. Good lord Eye candy in deed.

Shelly
05-04-2008, 01:40 PM

They are probably of the "No Tell Motel" variety.

J.T.
05-04-2008, 01:49 PM
You should do the Riverwalk; don't have to eat there, but there's lots of nice places for drinks and appetizers. Mi Tierra downtown is open 24 hrs. Yes, it's very touristy because it's the heart of El Mercado (Mexican market) but I've found the place to usually be 50/50 locals and tourists. The food is good and really not that expensive when you compare to other places that cater to tourists. And I will agree with what everyone else says about staying near the AT&T; definitely don't wanna be around that area (day or night) sticking out like a sore thumb!!!

Got damn you, I was going to recommend Mi Tierra.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
iv hard a lot about the all day breakfast place, am definitely going to have to check it out.

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Im really looking forward to the trip.

SpursFanFirst
05-04-2008, 03:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Oh, and Mi Tierra! Yum!!!!

PS...pay no attention to DarrinS...just sayin' :lol

SpursFanFirst
05-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Drury Inn on the Riverwalk...
We had a room overlooking the quiet end of the RW...very nice and affordable.

SAGambler
05-04-2008, 05:15 PM
There's probably one or two, but the term "roach" is probably easily associated with its quality.

Don't they rent them by the hour?

spurschick
05-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I have no idea what the attitude toward visiting fans is, but I haven't heard any horror stories like I do about Philly or Chi-town.

It's actually pretty good, as long as you're not a jerk. We get lots of Mavs and Rockets fans that make the trip for games and, while Rockets fans are cool, Mavs fans are rude and obnoxious. I think the best rule of thumb is to act like you would want opposing fans to act in your gym.

Sasha
05-04-2008, 06:51 PM
for Game 4.

Nobody.

Sasha
05-04-2008, 06:52 PM
There's a lot of cool places near the AT&T center. It's in a very ritzy part of town.

:toast

Make sure you wear your Hornets jersey.

:lmao

century
05-04-2008, 07:19 PM

I hope not. At any rate do NOT walk there, especially in a Hornet jersey. It is a nasty neighborhood. It will still be fun in the city though...

Hornet jersey won't be a problem as long as you don't walk to the AT&T center. Seriously.

SATX has countless mexican restaurants but most on the river are overpriced and have lousy food. For really good food and great atmosphere, I highly recommend Acenar (on Houston by the Valencia hotel) and Rosario's and Tito's on South Alamo. The prices are from mid-priced to cheap in the order mentioned. The enchiladas with various cream sauces at Tito's are to die for and so reasonably priced you won't believe it. Tito's is also great for a good mexican breakfast. At Rosario's they have good margaritas, busy lunch scene, and live latin bands and dancing on the weekends. Acenar occupies a really beautiful spot on the river with outdoors tables and a great bar.

San Antonio is home to some of the best restaurants is the entire country like Le Reve, Biga and anything owned by Damien Watel. Prices are from super expensive to moderate.

I cannot promise anything yet regarding the beers.

Enjoy yourself as much as I enjoyed New Orleans!

FromWayDowntown
05-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Good luck on not encountering the pervasive passive aggressive bullshit I had to deal with last night after the game started and on the walk back to the hotel.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I wasnt planning on walking to the game...and I think our Hotel is closer to the riverwalk than actually the AT&T center...but thanks for the warnings anyways guys.

i keep getting more and more excited each game. im writing down all these retaurants too, ill be sure to hit up a couple of them

Nolazach
05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Good luck on not encountering the pervasive passive aggressive bullshit I had to deal with last night after the game started and on the walk back to the hotel.

yeah but your were able to walk to the hotel, no real problems.

I saw a few Spurs fans on Bourbon. Shouldn't have any problems here.

I hope you have an otherwise good time, enjoy downtown and go see a real river, take a paddle boat.

gospursgojas
05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
If you stay anywhere close to the ATT Center you should feel right at home

Nolazach
05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
If you stay anywhere close to the ATT Center you should feel right at home

Really, yet another "ghetto" joke.

spurschick
05-04-2008, 09:27 PM
CP3-MVP, I'll be at the game and would be happy to buy you a beer prior to tip-off.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 10:05 PM
CP3-MVP, I'll be at the game and would be happy to buy you a beer prior to tip-off.

haha thanks :hat

however you should know that I am only 20...thats why I need it bought for me :lol

how is the AT&T center in terms of seating? My tickets are upper level center court.

Man of Steel
05-04-2008, 11:01 PM
There is an AT&T Center website that lets you check out your view--try it out.

Be very careful around the AT&T Center--cannot emphasize this enough.

CP3-MVP
05-04-2008, 11:06 PM
i will. thanks man.

spurschick
05-05-2008, 09:09 AM
however you should know that I am only 20...thats why I need it bought for me :lol

Well that puts a snag in things, doesn't it? :lol No biggie, just wanted you to feel welcome. Anyone who hauls themselves to a city they've never been to to support their team has my respect.

As for the AT&T Center, there are those who make it sound like there are murderers standing around the perimeter of the arena with weapons drawn. That's really not true. Since it's obviously way to far to walk from the Hyatt to the arena, you'll be perfectly fine taking a cab. It's possible that the Hyatt may have a shuttle going to the arena, so you may want to check that out.

Man of Steel
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Chick--

If you think its safe to be walking on the east side around the AT&T Center after a Spurs game--better not have too many beers tonight.

Not saying there are "murders at every corner." But that's not too far off. Gang bangers, thieves, etc all over the place.

I personally know a couple who parked a long way away from the site on the street to save a few bucks who got mugged before they got to their car.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-05-2008, 12:29 PM

:lol you should stay away from the hotel you booked

Nolazach
05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Chick--

If you think its safe to be walking on the east side around the AT&T Center after a Spurs game--better not have too many beers tonight.

Not saying there are "murders at every corner." But that's not too far off. Gang bangers, thieves, etc all over the place.

I personally know a couple who parked a long way away from the site on the street to save a few bucks who got mugged before they got to their car.

Where I usually park for saints games is right in front of the Projects MasterP came from. One of the most dangerous areas in our city. I just talk to the old ladies sitting on the stoop, and joke with them. Its a very rough area, but other than drunks, I have never had a problem.

But why is the AT&T center in a ghetto? I really liked the area around the Alamodome, but the stadium was too small for pro-football.

spursfan09
05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Thye wanted to rejuvenate that area of the Eastside. Anyways wow an actual Hornets fan in the ATT Center. Now I've heard it all!

DarrinS
05-05-2008, 12:46 PM
But why is the AT&T center in a ghetto? I really liked the area around the Alamodome, but the stadium was too small for pro-football.

Because they got the land on the cheap.

Cheap mofos. :bang

Summers
05-05-2008, 12:48 PM
how is the AT&T center in terms of seating? My tickets are upper level center court.

I don't know how it compares to your home court, but it's a good arena. It's very steep and there are no obstructed views, unless you're behind the basket, so you have a good view of the game from just about anywhere. Have fun!

century
05-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I really liked the area around the Alamodome, but the stadium was too small for pro-football.

Well the Alamodome was built as a monument to Hank. By Hank. That's all that mattered at the time.

gameFACE
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Downtown Mexican restaurants

El Mirador on St. Mary's
Rosarios on Alamo/St. Mary's
Acenar on the Riverwalk/Houston St. bridge
Mi Tierra in Market Square (tourists and locals)
Pico De Gallo (across I35 from Market Square. Run by the same people as Mi Tierra and has basically the same food but less tourists)
Aldaco's in Sunset Station (I37 & Commerce St area on the way to AT&T)

With all due respect to the owner who got shot recently stay away from Los Barrios

You're tickets are fine. I'll be in a corner section for that game.

RandomGuy
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM

Well, not quite "mexican", but more closely to "texican". Tex-mex... mmmmm

Seriously, there is probably someone in SA who would buy ya a beer. It is one of the friendlier cities in the US all things considered.

I won't be anywhere near the game or SA, otherwise I would.

RandomGuy
05-05-2008, 02:20 PM
it's a good arena. It's very steep

That is an understatement. Saying the alamo dome is "very steep" is like saying Mt. Everest is "somewhat high".

Just don't trip, and be sure to wear some good shoes if you are up in the nosebleeds. It isn't for the faint of heart, yikes.

DarrinS
05-05-2008, 02:26 PM
That is an understatement. Saying the alamo dome is "very steep" is like saying Mt. Everest is "somewhat high".

Just don't trip, and be sure to wear some good shoes if you are up in the nosebleeds. It isn't for the faint of heart, yikes.

Also, unless you're a dwarf or small child, your knees will hit the seat in front of you. Quite annoying, actually.

spurschick
05-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Chick--

I never told anyone to walk around. Some people make it sound like you're going to get knifed the moment you walk out of the arena.

Septic
05-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I never told anyone to walk around. Some people make it sound like you're going to get knifed the moment you walk out of the arena.

You know it's quite possible if you stray from the crowd...

We all know that side is a shit hole, I know my gf used to live down WW. They just put the AT&T center there thinking people were actually going to start opening business's around and what not. None of that happened so we have a great arena in the freaking courts.

You can wear your jersey anywhere, most 'tonians aren't into fighting over some BS like that.

Mi Tierra
Los Barrios
Papasitos
La Fogota
Rosarios
Karems

Any of those places...