PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson charged with BWI, resisting arrest

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-04-2008, 11:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3380764

Reports: Bears' Benson charged with boating while intoxicated, resisting arrest
ESPN.com news services

Bears running back Cedric Benson, the fourth overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, was charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest Saturday night near Austin, Texas, The Chicago Tribune and KVUE TV in Austin reported Sunday.

Both charges are misdemeanors.

Benson, who starred at the University of Texas, failed a field sobriety test on his boat, a Lower Colorado River Authority spokesman told the Chicago Tribune.

When police tried to get Benson to take the sobriety test on land, Benson resisted and refused to put on a life jacket, police told the newspaper.

According to the report, there were 12-15 people on Benson's boat, but the running back was the only one arrested.

Last season, Benson played in only 11 games for the Bears due to injury and gained 674 yards for a career-low 3.4 yards per carry average. He did have a career-best 123 receiving yards in 2007.

==================================

According to the report, Benson attempted to escape from police, but was wrapped up easily for a three-yard loss.

clambake
05-04-2008, 12:02 PM
UT atheletes, i read somewhere that orange is the color of insanity.

j-6
05-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I want to know how you fail a field sobriety test driving a boat - on Lake Travis of all places. Can't walk from starboard to port in a straight line? Not enough Vikings on board?

Whisky Dog
05-04-2008, 07:20 PM
At least he was able to feed the weed to the fish before the Popo got to it.

Fillmoe
05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
another texas bum...

Vinnie_Johnson
05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
At least he was able to feed the weed to the fish before the Popo got to it.

:lmao

samikeyp
05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Dumbass.

Further proof that just because you can breed, doesn't mean that you should.

fyatuk
05-05-2008, 07:47 AM
so noone in here has ever gotten drunk on a boat?

I haven't, but that might only be because I haven't been on a boat since I was 12 or so...

j-6
05-05-2008, 09:09 AM
so noone in here has ever gotten drunk on a boat?

No effing way I'm innocent, but I've never seen a sobriety test on Lake Travis. Or on Lake Anything, for that matter, including drunks that get cut off at Sneaky Pete's and then go hop onto a boat to continue drinking. I've seen people go onto the bank for a piss on the Guadalupe and get busted for being drunk - does that count?

Evan
05-05-2008, 11:30 AM
lol

http://img.fannation.com/images/ap/2008/05/04/16/200805041646603713079-p2-210x210.jpg

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-05-2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.ksat.com/sports/16163530/detail.html

KSAT.com
Bears' Benson Gives Account Of Boat Arrest
RB Arrested On Charges Of Boating While Intoxicated

POSTED: 11:49 am CDT May 5, 2008
UPDATED: 12:06 pm CDT May 5, 2008
AUSTIN, Texas -- Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was charged with failing a sobriety test while operating a 30-foot boat, then resisting arrest before being hit with pepper spray and dragged ashore by officers.

Benson faces charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest after the incident Saturday night on Lake Travis, Travis County Sheriff's Department spokesman Roger Wade said Sunday.

However, Benson told the Chicago Sun-Times and the Chicago Tribune a different account of what happened.

"I was not intoxicated," Benson told the Chicago Sun-Times. "There was alcohol on the boat and others were enjoying themselves, but I wasn't drunk."

"They gave me a field sobriety test, told me to say my ABCs and told me to count from 1 to 4 up and down," Benson told the Chicago Tribune. "I'm thinking, I passed all the tests, did everything right. Then the officer told me we needed to go to land to take more tests. I politely asked him why we needed to go to land to take more tests when I took every test. Then he sprayed me with mace, on his boat."

"I'm not handcuffed. I'm not under arrest. I'm not threatening him. I'm not pushing him. I'm not touching him. And he sprays me right in my eye," Benson told the Chicago Tribune.

Benson was released from jail early Sunday on a $14,500 bond. The charges are class B misdemeanors, each punishable by up to six months in jail and a $2,000 fine. A call to Benson's agent was not immediately returned.

Benson was operating the boat with 15 passengers aboard when he was stopped by a Lower Colorado River Authority officer for a random safety inspection. He failed a field sobriety test on the officer's boat and was uncooperative when the officer tried to take him ashore, the authority said.

The officer had to use pepper spray to subdue Benson. He then refused to leave the officer's boat and authorities had to drag him to a car to be taken to the Travis County jail, the authority said.

Benson has had legal problems before.

He was sentenced to eight days in jail in 2003 for a misdemeanor trespassing charge after forcing his way into an apartment to look for a reported stolen TV. In 2002, misdemeanor drug and alcohol charges against him were dropped.

In three years with the Bears, Benson has rushed for 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns, averaging 3.8 yards a carry. He's also missed 13 games.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.