PDA

View Full Version : avery johnson has been contacted by three teams not knicks though(sunns are one team)

ducks
05-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Avery Johnson has been out of work for only two days and already has been contacted by at least three teams, including the Phoenix Suns, according to an NBA source and the New York Daily News.

The same source indicated that as of late Thursday afternoon the Knicks had not contacted Johnson, the coach who was fired by the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday, but that team president Donnie Walsh was expected to reach out to him this weekend. Walsh is close friends with legendary college coach Ben Jobe, who is Johnson's coaching mentor.

Source: New York Daily News

ducks
05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/05/02/2008-05-02_untitled__knicks2s.html

Vinnie_Johnson
05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
He will land somewhere he should have a job not his fault Dallas is soft.

JackArse
05-04-2008, 11:13 PM
every report here in phoenix are that they have no desire to have avery here

and for fucks sake, they better not. not saying stay with d'antoni necessarily, but no avery.

dirk4mvp
05-04-2008, 11:39 PM
He will land somewhere he should have a job not his fault Dallas is soft.

You definitely know what you're talking about.

:sleep

Findog
05-04-2008, 11:41 PM
I can't imagine Avery goes to Phoenix. If the scrappy Canadian asks his best fwiend fowevah for a scouting report, it's not going to be positive.

remingtonbo2001
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Avery would fit well in PHX. He would have a more mature group of players to work with. If anyone is capable of getting Stoudmire to man up on defense, it would be Avery.

Indazone
05-04-2008, 11:54 PM
If Phoenix is looking at Avery then this has got to be their thinking. Hey Avery knows the Spurs. Hell he used to be one. He can help us beat the Spurs. Lets get him in here and turn the Suns into "gasp" The Phoenix Spurs.

Well they do say imitation is the best form of flattery.

Red Hawk #21
05-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Teams should just say no to Avery imo

ducks
05-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I bet avery after a year would want amare traded

ducks
05-04-2008, 11:59 PM
If Phoenix is looking at Avery then this has got to be their thinking. Hey Avery knows the Spurs. Hell he used to be one. He can help us beat the Spurs. Lets get him in here and turn the Suns into "gasp" The Phoenix Spurs.

Well they do say imitation is the best form of flattery.

steve kerr knows the spurs

monosylab1k
05-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Walsh is close friends with legendary college coach Ben Jobe, who is Johnson's coaching mentor.

what's the limit on total number of coaching mentors one guy can have? Pop, Nellie, now this dude? You'd think he'd figure out how to not get his players to hate him if he has this many genius coaching mentors.

monosylab1k
05-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Avery would fit well in PHX. He would have a more mature group of players to work with. If anyone is capable of getting Stoudmire to man up on defense, it would be Avery.

Phoenix with Avery would be a very scary team for 2 years.

Findog
05-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Phoenix with Avery would be a very scary team for 2 years.

Nash is done, at least as an elite franchise player. Ask any honest Suns fan, he wasn't NASH this year.

Red Hawk #21
05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Lol at the EPIC FAIL that will happen to the Suns if Avery becomes their coach, Avery will get rid of all of the young talent in Phoenix and bring washed up veterans, He will Micromanage every single dribble Nash takes, he will constantly demoralize his team, his rotations will suck. If the Suns organization has any brains they will say no to Avery.

Findog
05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Rick Carlisle is the guy they should've gotten.

peskypesky
05-05-2008, 12:24 AM
As a NYC resident, I hope Avery comes to the Knicks. It'd be nice to be able to root for him again.

sribb43
05-05-2008, 07:52 AM
LOL at the thought of PHX running a Avery style offense....ISO all day every day

m33p0
05-05-2008, 08:32 AM
avery should get a year off from coaching and assess his style of teaching.

Shank
05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
He's already being paid not to coach, thanks to his buyout from the Mavericks. The guy could go on a 3-year vacation and still come out making money.

If he goes to the Suns and starts demeaning the players in practice like he did in Dallas, it's only a matter of time before Amare calls him out and Shaq retires early. But he won't go to the Suns if Nash and Dirk have a conversation.

Bulls would have jumped on him by now. Are they really going to wait out what may happen in Phoenix? And if Avery hated the 'poisonous journalism' in DFW, wait until the New York media gets ahold of him.

E20
05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Steve Kerr and Avery are friends. '99 'ship squad.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Looks like Timvp was spot on on this one

JMarkJohns
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Rick Carlisle is the guy they should've gotten.

Agreed, though largely because he's someone who's been able to coach up young talent. Avery may have this ability, but I just haven't seen it to as large an extent.

And yes, Nash is a 3rd-team All-NBAer, at best, going forward.

Truth be told, realizing the pointless ness of keeping this team together for two years of first-round exits, I'd rather trade the parts that can be and just start over. I think Nash, Bell and Hill would all be worth a little something at this point. However, I would only trade them to contending teams. They are veterans and deserve better than what has happened to the Suns, so if Boston, Detroit, Utah, Los Angeles, San Antonio, New Orleans were interested, I think a late 1st-rounder for the latter two and maybe something a bit more substantial for Nash and you have a deal.

Blow it up and see if a team can be rebuilt around Amare, Diaw, Barbosa and the 1st-rounders with Shaq and whomever else coming off the CAP in two seasons.

Get a coach that can teach positioning on defense and rebounding for Amare and Diaw, one that can develop an inside-outside attack and stress the importance of early-game defense to set a tone for late-game and see how it takes. If Shaq gets pissy about being on a crappy team, he can forfeit his final season and become a free agent.

Pistons < Spurs
05-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Someone better hire him.

My biggest fear is that he takes a year off, and some knucklehead decides to give him a job on TV. I wouldn't be able to listen to any game or analyst show that features his annoying voice.

Man of Steel
05-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Avery and Barkley...

Priceless

MajicMan
05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
what's up with all the bitter dallas fans....what a bunch of retards..as if he were the root of all your problems. what about a stupid trade happy owner..a pussy franchise player..loser pot heads on the team..gay fans..it's not all averys fault

monosylab1k
05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
what's up with all the bitter dallas fans....what a bunch of retards..as if he were the root of all your problems. what about a stupid trade happy owner..a pussy franchise player..loser pot heads on the team..gay fans..it's not all averys fault

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucktard

:bking

Shank
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Lamar Odom has NEVER smoked weed.

Indazone
05-05-2008, 02:08 PM
LOL at the thought of PHX running a Avery style offense....ISO all day every day

Yeah but where this didn't work for the Mav's I think the Suns could be really dangerous running this style of offense. Think about it, they got Nash running the pick and rolls and you iso Shaq down low and Amare up high or on the other wing. If the defense collapses you kick it out to Barbosa, Diaw or Bell for the three or another driving player. Crap...how you gonna stop that?

Armando
05-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Whats with all the Mavs fans hating on Avery? I can understand the frustrations of losing 2 years in the first round but at least Avery got you to the Finals. He maybe an asshole but is not like Don Nelson was taking the team anywhere.