PDA

View Full Version : Don't expect adjustments, instead more hustle/energy...

PDXSpursFan
05-05-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA0505.SpursLede.en.3888d34.html

Not a new article but after reading it and the fact that the Spurs cancelled Sunday's practice, suggest that Pop doesn't think that any adjustments are needed but instead more hustle/energy should be enough to win :ihit.

Let's hope he's right on this one (like he usually is)

2easy
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
The Spurs are not going to out hustle the Hornets. They're too slow.

nbascribe
05-05-2008, 02:58 PM

what analysis Dr. Freud.

Utterly brilliant....NOT

2easy
05-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Not an analysis, just a fact.

NoMoneyDown
05-05-2008, 03:12 PM

:sleep

nbascribe
05-05-2008, 03:21 PM

um yeah and so is the fact that a bear shits in the woods.

you gotta come better than that.

this isn't the sorry azz mavs you're playing.

dismiss the spurs if u want...you'll be sitting with Mike D'Antoni saying, "What happened?"

sting
05-05-2008, 03:23 PM
um yeah and so is the fact that a bear shits in the woods.

you gotta come better than that.

this isn't the sorry azz mavs you're playing.

dismiss the spurs if u want...you'll be sitting with Mike D'Antoni saying, "What happened?"

Yeah, and this ain't the weak ass Sun's your playing. :lol The Hornets actually play defense.

Tom_Foolery
05-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't like this at all.

There's got to be a reason why the Spurs have never repeated championships. An error here, an error there…

The playoffs are about adjustments. My feeling is that Popovich is underestimating Byron Scott's coaching ability, and that worries me. To say it was just a lack of effort is nonsense. If that was the case, we could say the coaches "lack of strategy and adjustments" were a big reason why West got off.

I've never seen Duncan so lost and unmotivated during the game and I think it was because he was discouraged by his offense. He didn't go up for rebounds or nothing.

I felt sorry for Finley having to guard West…terrible mismatch that Pop should've switched up from the get go.

I think it will be a close game, but if the Spurs lose tonight…I lay this one on Popovich completely for not preparing his team better and underestimating his opponent. If we fall 0-2, we'll just have to accept the fact that maybe this team just does not have the killer instinct, aggressiveness, and determination to repeat as champions? I certainly wouldn't rule them out of the Finals next year though.

I see a pattern…

nbascribe
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah, and this ain't the weak ass Sun's your playing. :lol The Hornets actually play defense.

I don't see a single Spurs post taking the Hornets lightly however you seem to think this is a cake walk.

With age comes wisdom.

Budkin
05-05-2008, 03:42 PM

There's got to be a reason why the Spurs have never repeated championships. An error here, an error there…

The playoffs are about adjustments. My feeling is that Popovich is underestimating Byron Scott's coaching ability, and that worries me. To say it was just a lack of effort is nonsense. If that was the case, we could say the coaches "lack of strategy and adjustments" were a big reason why West got off.

I've never seen Duncan so lost and unmotivated during the game and I think it was because he was discouraged by his offense. He didn't go up for rebounds or nothing.

I felt sorry for Finley having to guard West…terrible mismatch that Pop should've switched up from the get go.

I think it will be a close game, but if the Spurs lose tonight…I lay this one on Popovich completely for not preparing his team better and underestimating his opponent. If we fall 0-2, we'll just have to accept the fact that maybe this team just does not have the killer instinct, aggressiveness, and determination to repeat as champions? I certainly wouldn't rule them out of the Finals next year though.

I see a pattern…

So wait, you're going to quit on the team if they go down 0-2 on the road? Good riddance.

Budkin
05-05-2008, 03:43 PM

I'm so bumping this thread after you see the giant awaken tonight.

NoMoneyDown
05-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm so bumping this thread after you see the giant awaken tonight.

I'd just settle for less trolls in these forums.

SPARKY
05-05-2008, 03:47 PM

I see a pattern…

He's just saying that to the press. Parker will get Paul, Bowen will get Predrag, and they'll probably throw some different looks at West, including some hard doubles.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-05-2008, 04:04 PM

I see a pattern…

I believe Pop is being very CIA. I think we're going to see a lot of changes from the game 1 approach.

I think we'll see West get a multitude of different defenders, and even a double team from time to time. I think extra effort is going to be made to push him a little further from the basket.

I think TD will perhaps set up a little higher on the block and we'll flash whoever gets free when NO doubles Tim to the basket for easy layups. Tim will be running the offense a bit more and looking for the open man when the double comes, and making a quicker move when he catches the ball to split the double teams and draw fouls. Tim will record a solid double-double and shoot at least 10 free throws.

I think Udoka will play at least 15 minutes, probably most of it will be on West.

I think Pop will look at the tape and see that this isn't Robert Horry's series to be in the Rotation.

I don't think you'll see Manu shooting contested threes tonight 5 seconds into the shot clock. I think you'll see the Spurs running a much more patient offense as they shift out of Phoenix Suns mode.

ClingingMars
05-05-2008, 04:11 PM
CIA Pop

- Mars

BiZNicK
05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Yea of coarse Pop won't make adjustments. He never does, which is why we never win championships And he definitely does not want to win this year, so he will never make adjustments.

Wow, way too many retarded spurs fans here.

Tom_Foolery
05-05-2008, 04:43 PM
So wait, you're going to quit on the team if they go down 0-2 on the road? Good riddance.

It's just entertainment. It's not my life. I love basketball, but honestly, if they go down 0-2, I probably won't watch basketball until the finals. Last thing I need to do is waste my time watching a series just for it to go 6 games and the Spurs ousted. Just playing the odds, that's all.

Don't take basketball so serious…there's life, you know.

Tom_Foolery
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I hope he does make adjustments.

Call me "retarded" or what you will…I just take Pop's word and honesty for what it is. He's a pretty straight forward guy, so it would not surprise me to see him go through the next game with no changes. It also wouldn't surprise me to see him make changes either.

I'm just saying that if he makes no changes at all and gets outstrategized, then the loss falls on Pop.

tmtcsc
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I think he wanted to show the players "how" they were outplayed and outsmarted. The effort was fine. How about doing a better job of denying West from catching the ball ? How about a little more help on defense instead of letting him get into a comfort zone or getting to his spots on the floor.

West is mechanical like Tim. He likes to shoot from certain spots on the floor. Make sure he doesn't get to them.

The magic number for the Spurs is 20. Hold West to less than that and we have a great chance of winning. Chris Paul is a scoring stud but I'd rather him shoot than pass. Let him take shots.

Because he's a true point guard at heart, he will want to get others involved. He'll try and force passes to Peja and West and Chandler.

Here's what I'd like to see happen:

1. Put Bruce on Peja to start the game (let him guard CPaul later on in the game)

2. Let Tony guard CP

3. Keep a body on Chandler and keep him the hell off the boards

4. Let Tim guard West

5. Get Finley involved on the offense early with mid-range jumpers to get him going.

6. Get to the foul line

7. Limit the 3 ptrs

8. Improve the transition D

9. Limit the second chance pts/ opportunities

10. Get Tim some easy shots and put back chances.

Enough with the hack-a-anyone.

SenorSpur
05-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm confident Pop will concoct some sort of adjustment to throw off the rhythm of the Hornets offense. It's not just West. We can live with his production so long as Paul, Peja and the others are not getting off.

My bigger concern is this supposed "back-to-the-wall', casual motivation this team routinely displays at chosen junctures. I remember Pop saying a few years ago, "we sometimes seem to think that we're entitled to the championship or that someone is going to automatically give it to us". Basically, he was saying, "whatver you want, you have to go out and get it". At this stage, the motivation to defend the championship should be all this team needs.

Brutalis
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
If we lose game 2 I hope it's by a lot. No morale victories needed.

Remember the Finals against the Pistons, damn they waxed us so good.

But we responded, as we usually do.

I feel a 1-1 and Spurs with HCA with a lot of quiet Hornet fans sleeping in the Hive.

Whisky Dog
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Fuck the Hornets.

Budkin
05-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I can't wait for this damn game to start!