PDA

View Full Version : Popovich disappointed in lack of hustle

ducks
05-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Popovich disappointed in lack of hustle

05/04/2008
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

NEW ORLEANS — It was one play, one lapse in a second half full of them for the Spurs. But to coach Gregg Popovich, it summed up everything that went wrong with his team in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinal Saturday.

New Orleans' David West put up a rare miss on a jumper. The rebound fell into a thicket of Spurs ... and somehow into the hands of the Hornets' Morris Peterson.

Peterson dribbled out to the corner, launched a 3-pointer and made a four-point margin seven.

Incensed, Popovich immediately turned to his video coordinators seated behind the bench, instructing them to take note.

Spurs players would be seeing that particular play again.

On Sunday morning, they did.

“That happened to be in the film session,” Popovich said afterward, with a sly smile. “I don't know how that got in there.”

Popovich's point was an obvious one. If the Spurs are to even the series tonight at New Orleans Arena against a Hornets team rapidly gaining confidence, it is going to take a better effort than they gave in Game 1.

“I thought they played harder than we did, and I thought they played smarter than we did,” Popovich said, recapping New Orleans' 101-82 victory in Game 1.

The Spurs, to be sure, had problems unrelated to hustle, and Popovich can live with those.

They shot 40.8 percent from the field, squandered an 11-point lead in the first half and seemed out of rhythm on offense much of the night.

The series opened amid hype surrounding the matchup of two of the best point guards in the NBA, the Spurs' Tony Parker and New Orleans' Chris Paul.

Instead, Game 1 became a tale of two power forwards.

West, making good on his first All-Star season, scorched the Spurs for 30 points, a career playoff high. It was his third game this season of at least 29 against the Spurs.

The Spurs' Tim Duncan, West's All-Star adversary, countered by matching a career playoff low. Flummoxed by the constant barrage of double-teams, Duncan managed just five points on 1-of-9 shooting.

It marked only the third time in 144 postseason games that Duncan failed to score in double figures. Indicative of another Spurs Game 1 struggle, he also only found his way into three rebounds.

“Things just didn't go my way,” Duncan said. “They did a great job. I played badly, so credit to them.”

The Spurs aren't worried about Duncan's ability to bounce back in Game 2. He has a long and proven history of following up sub-par games with spectacular ones.

“That's the last thing I'm worried about,” point guard Tony Parker said. “He's going to come back very strong next game.”

Haunted by the Peterson play, Popovich remains more concerned about the Spurs' hustle and attention to detail heading forward.

The Hornets scored 25 points off 13 Spurs turnovers in Game 1. Buoyed by a 16-8 advantage in offensive rebounds, New Orleans also managed 21 second-chance points.

“That's got nothing to do with double-teaming Tim Duncan,” Popovich said. “That's just a sloppy basketball game and you deserve to lose.”

For the Hornets, the night began with an inspirational ploy from their coach.

Byron Scott broke out the three NBA championship rings he won with the Los Angeles Lakers in 1980s.

“It sort of gives you goose bumps,” Paul said. “We understand right now we're on that same journey and we feel like we can get there.”:lol

Roused by a glimpse of Scott's jewelry, the Hornets played with a fire the Spurs could not match for four quarters.

Immediately after Game 1, Popovich's knee-jerk reaction was that no significant strategic changes would be needed for Game 2.

Sunday's film session confirmed it. All the Spurs need, as their coach says, is an extra infusion of heart.

“We're not going to invent the light bulb here,” Popovich said. “We definitely want to play for 48 minutes instead of 24.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...n.3888d34.html

nbascribe
05-05-2008, 03:01 PM
We need a run like they had in game three of phoenix.

just put 20 points up on em quick and then harass the hell out of them.

DDS4
05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Time for Pop to bust out the 4 rings.

DarrinS
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm with Pop.

Budkin
05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Believe me, Timmy is going to stomp bugs tonight.

nfg3
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
A repeat of game 3 in Phoenix would be nice but I'm not expecting that. A hard fouhgt battle looms ahead. TD will be back with a vengence so I expect NO to be making the adjustments to us rather than the other way around.

If NO goes with the hard double team on TD again he had better get rid of the ball faster and we had better make those open shots. We missed several of them that in effect turned into transition buckets for the Hornets. If we don't hit those shots then the NO double team is effective. If this continues then I would like to see Barry out there much sooner. Isn't that the reason we brought in these outside shooters? To punish the double teams on TD?

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
“We definitely want to play for 48 minutes instead of 24.”

I've been waiting for that all year. Game 3 in Phoenix was probably the closest the Spurs have gotten....let's hope for a repeat of that effort tonight.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Immediately after Game 1, Popovich's knee-jerk reaction was that no significant strategic changes would be needed for Game 2.

Sunday's film session confirmed it. All the Spurs need, as their coach says, is an extra infusion of heart.

that's the main thing, the Spurs played with no heart that 2nd half

boutons_
05-05-2008, 04:00 PM
the spurs bodies are (very mostly) OK, Pop is ok, it's Spurs heads that were not ok, esp Tim's. If the Spurs lose this series, they will have beaten themselves, as they did Sat night.

"The rebound fell into a thicket of Spurs ... and somehow into the hands of the Hornets' Morris Peterson."

I yelled when I saw! fucking Spurs, spectators!!!! :lol

CubanMustGo
05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
that's the main thing, the Spurs played with no heart that 2nd half

Kind of like you not posting with heart all season and having that fucking sig with Scola in it even now.

ForeignFan
05-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Kind of like you not posting with heart all season and having that fucking sig with Scola in it even now.

Ouch, "touché"...

SenorSpur
05-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised Pop didn't have the big one (apologies to Fred Sanford) while watching how poorly his guys competed. It's a disgrace how a championship team, like the Spurs, could muster such a pitiful effort in the NBA playoffs. It's like these guys just decided to relax in the 2nd half thinking they had won the game by halftime. Totally inexcusable effort.

G-Nob
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Pop should pull out the four rings on the table, then squat over them naked while tea bagging them and telling the guys, "this is what those four championships mean at this point".

That'll get em fired up!

timvp
05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
More huthle and more muthle would make a lot of difference in Game 2.

Brutalis
05-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Pop is too huh?

Budkin
05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
the spurs bodies are (very mostly) OK, Pop is ok, it's Spurs heads that were not ok, esp Tim's. If the Spurs lose this series, they will have beaten themselves, as they did Sat night.

"The rebound fell into a thicket of Spurs ... and somehow into the hands of the Hornets' Morris Peterson."

I yelled when I saw! fucking Spurs, spectators!!!! :lol

That was the worst play of the night... just maddening.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2008, 06:08 PM

I really hope he's going vintage CIA, if he thinks we don't need to change anything we're going to be down 2-0 after tonight.

jmard5
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Nah. Gather all their rings into one collective pile, then add the four trophies.

They should remember how they got those... then remember again that they should add another batch to that pile.

Kidding aside. I feel a good game by the Spurs tonight. +15 spread... =p

BonnerDynasty
05-05-2008, 07:06 PM
That was the worst play of the night... just maddening.

The inbounds dunk Finley gave up was the worst one imo.

BonnerDynasty
05-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Nah. Gather all their rings into one collective pile, then add the four trophies.

They should remember how they got those... then remember again that they should add another batch to that pile.

Kidding aside. I feel a good game by the Spurs tonight. +15 spread... =p

exactly! let BSPN get a shot of those!

MizzouMerlin
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I really hope he's going vintage CIA, if he thinks we don't need to change anything we're going to be down 2-0 after tonight.

Aggie, I agree with you.

While there was no heart by San Antonio in the second half, the only reason it had the lead at half time was Bruce Bowen hitting five threes. Don't count on that happening again. It was obvious that the Spurs weren't playing a brand of basketball that can succeed for 48 minutes. Adjustments, albeit minor ones, need to be made. No need for Pop to become all arrogant and think he is immune to strategical errors.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-05-2008, 07:30 PM

only for Duncan to remind Pop that he's the reason he has those rings? :lol

or for Horry to show Pop his 7 rings?

this is the LAST team in the NBA that the ring display would work for

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: