PDA

View Full Version : Dispelling N.O. myths

loquats
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I've been seeing a lot of myths about New Orleans fans on opposing teams boards, so I've decided enuff stupidity is enuff.

Myth #1 -- Basketball is new to N.O.

At best this is a laugher. Pre- Katrina, N.O. was also home to national basketball powerhouses like St. Augustine (D.J. Augustin ring a bell?), Cohen, and Kennedy High schools. The #1 basketball recruit THIS year is from N.O.
St. Augustine also provided Georgetown many of their top players during their Final 4 runs in the late 80s. The Xavier/Dillard game is BIG, and the "barn" at Xavier has produced it's fair share of NBA players back in the 70s. Also, Shaquille O'Neal did play 3 years of dominating college ball just up the road in Baton Rouge.

Myth #2 -- Attendance was always horrid

Attendance was never quite "horrid" here. There was 2 mid-week games below 10,000 earlier in the year, but considering all that has happened, I think the attendance the last 3 months have been phenomenal. Capacity wise before Katrina, N.O. was middle of the pack. This city loves things that represent N.O. So it has taken a little warming up to something that was from Charlotte. The new uniforms and logo next year is proof of the new "N.O. brand".

Myth #3 -- San Antonio is more of a "basketball city" than New Orleans.

See myth #1 debunked to debunk this one also.

Just had to get that one off the chest. Hoping for a thriller tonight.

Enjoy!

FromWayDowntown
05-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Shaquille O'Neal played his high school ball in San Antonio. Just sayin'.

dougp
05-05-2008, 08:27 PM
NO is such an awesome city that their original team was moved to Utah! Take your shit to HornetsReport.

Pistons < Spurs
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.tvsquad.com/images/2005/08/mythbusters-poster.jpg

loquats
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
NO is such an awesome city that their original team was moved to Utah! Take your shit to HornetsReport.

The owner was from Utah I do believe. Had more to do with him than the city, as the original "Jazz" had record crowds still unbroken to this day by any other NBA venue.

Cheers! :toast

Septic
05-05-2008, 08:29 PM
God what a crock of BS, now NO is all about basketball and SA is beneath NO.

loquats
05-05-2008, 08:30 PM

But he's not FROM San Antonio. Was a military brat.

Just sayin.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Myth #2 -- Attendance was always horrid

Attendance was never quite "horrid" here. There was 2 mid-week games below 10,000 earlier in the year, but considering all that has happened, I think the attendance the last 3 months have been phenomenal. Capacity wise before Katrina, N.O. was middle of the pack. This city loves things that represent N.O. So it has taken a little warming up to something that was from Charlotte. The new uniforms and logo next year is proof of the new "N.O. brand".

All I can say is that New Orleans better feel blessed that the Sonics are moving to OK City.

Can anyone say Seattle Hornets???

loquats
05-05-2008, 08:31 PM
God what a crock of BS, now NO is all about basketball and SA is beneath NO.

Not going that far. Just need to stop the previous BS that basketball was a foreign thing in N.O. Pure myth and I don't know how it even started.

loquats
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
All I can say is that New Orleans better feel blessed that the Sonics are moving to OK City.

Can anyone say Seattle Hornets???

LOL. The N.O. population is currently at 70% and growing by the month. When the Spurs fall off, Seattle Spurs has a nice ring to it :king

Close to game time...cheers all!

GrandeDavid
05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
I bet NO is fired up about the Hornets now, as it should be! I'm glad to see the fans there getting a terrific product to back, they deserve it after all they've been through, not just due to Katrina, but having had to suffer through the letdown of the Saints. Hey, I'm a fan of the former Houston Oilers and fan of the Texans, I'm allowed to make cracks like that about the Saints! :lol

reck21
05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Who can honestly said that prior to the Katrina disaster that New Orleans was even on the map?

All you New Orleans people have is the Mardi Grass...

PejaOnAStick
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Who can honestly said that prior to the Katrina disaster that New Orleans was even on the map?

:lol

It's only been the cultural center of North America since the 1600's.

ShoogarBear
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM

And got a better education there.

Don Quixote
05-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Enough city bashing.

I've lived in both cities -- and there is NOTHING like New Orleans. No offense to San Antonio, it's a great place and I loved growing up there. But it's nothing like New Orleans.

Don Quixote
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
I love it here. Other than the thugs. They can go away.

Beaverfuzz
05-05-2008, 11:27 PM

They also have the beta testing site for the Army Corp of Engineers. Seriously, who builds a big city below sea level and not expect anything to happen to it?

Hornets look unstoppable though, they'll give the Lakers all they handle.......if they beat San Antonio. :flag:

TheTruth62987
05-05-2008, 11:29 PM
I love New Orleans. I think the Hornets are a good team with some very good players and a great coach. But when it comes to basketball San Antonio is the city people think of. They have the most championships in the 2000s, they have final 4, or the elite 8 or the sweet 16 ever year, and the city reprecents the Spurs no matter where you go.

This is partly because there isn't really much else in San Antonio except a 2A ball team, UTSA and a couple other sport teams like divison 3 Trinity. Basketball is what this city knows and loves while New Orleans has the Saints as their main team. While myth 1 might not be a full truth the NBA is still new to New Orleans.

Man come on, stop being so into yourselves. When people think of basketball they think of 3 teams. #1 Celtics (most titles all time) #2 Lakers (part of the greatest rivalry of all time vs Celtics) #3 Bulls (the greatest ever played for and won 6 titles in 8 years in Chicago.

No one thinks of the Spurs, and no one likes them except people in S.A.

spursfan09
05-05-2008, 11:34 PM
The owner was from Utah I do believe. Had more to do with him than the city, as the original "Jazz" had record crowds still unbroken to this day by any other NBA venue.

Cheers! :toast

Spurs have the record for the largets Finals NBA attendance.

Septic
05-05-2008, 11:44 PM
They also have the beta testing site for the Army Corp of Engineers. :lol:lol:lol

That is sig material if I cared to have one.