PDA

View Full Version : popovich is being outcoached

zocool16
05-05-2008, 10:35 PM
scott has totally figured out the spurs' offense and thats why we cant score for shit.

101A
05-05-2008, 11:15 PM
scott has totally figured out the spurs' offense and thats why we cant score for shit.

He's been plotting revenge for 5 years.

southwestland22
05-05-2008, 11:17 PM
the white coach will prevail in the end

jackseven
Hahaha, this isn't Pop. The Hornets are just better.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Yep, it's hard to figure out 4down.

peskypesky
05-05-2008, 11:21 PM

not sure if i agree with that. spurs have gotten a ton of open looks. they just couldn't knock them down. it wasn't the defense so much.

1Parker1
05-05-2008, 11:21 PM
:lol Pop starting the lineup of Horry, Udoka, Vaughn, Oberto, and Barry to start the 4th quarter in a pivotal, essentially do or die playoff game to send a message to his 30 year old and older team??? Smart move :tu

Warlord23
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Some of it is on Pop, some you have to attribute to the players.

Defense:
Pop has stuck too long with putting Bowen on CP3. Not only is Bowen unable to slow down Paul, Peja is playing like this is the regular season and MoPete is allowed to jump all over Parker. So basically you have 3 of them killing us from the perimeter rather than just Paul.
The rest of the defensive struggle is on the players. Oberto and KT can't guard West, we aren't fleet-footed enough to guard the pick-n-roll without giving Paul an open look or a big man an open layup

On offense:
This is mostly on the players. Last year we were able to get open looks due to our movement and passing. This year, teams are able to close down on our shooters faster and run us off the 3 point line. When we do get some open looks we throw up brick after brick. When we try to run our offense through Manu we turn it over repeatedly. Manu has looked useless so far.
Pop hasn't helped by having a playbook with only around 3 plays: 4-down, a pick-n-roll which doesn't create any easy shots, and a guard iso which leads to turnovers. They are way faster than us, so we don't get any transition buckets either.

Pop may be being outcoached, but I'm not sure we'd win if he did better. We're just slow, turnover-prone and shooting blanks so far

Tom_Foolery
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM

agreed.

3rd quarters have been the spurs weakness. pop underestimated the hornets this round. you can only be patient for so long with your players. in the end, popovich will realize that the spurs can no longer have 3 great players and fill the rest with mediocre at best talent to round out the rest of the roster.

when we get ousted this week, alot of people will be asking for finley to be gone, horry to retire, and to get younger.

i don't think this team can stay this way and win next year. duncan has just looked way too tired and the team looks very undisciplined.

on the flipside, congrats to the hornets! think about it, byron getting coach of the year and getting their team back after katrina. i'm really happy for those guys, they played hard, and they made us look terribly old.

as far as the game, i'm very surprised popovich didn't drill his team and get them more motivated to play the 2nd half. i'm really shocked that pop also kept letting the spurs throw up 3's instead of changing up the offense and attacking the rim. honestly, i didn't see any adjustment in the 2nd half.