PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Analysis & Improvement

Deuces88
05-06-2008, 06:20 AM
I've watched both games, like many others, and I have ways of how Spurs can just win at will against this Hornets team.

DEFENSE:
Now, we cannot play zone. The Hornets have too many outside shooters that will punish that type of defense and those shooters are the reason Hornets can build a lead.
We cannot double-team. Why? Because Paul has great court vision and he WILL make the appropriate pass to punish the double whether it be a pass inside to Chandler/West for the easy bucket or a lob to Peja for the three.
So what do we do? We have to man up and play strong 1-on-1 defense. Make it hard for this Hornets team to score. Parker on Paul, Bowen on Peja, Ginobili on Peterson, Thomas on West, Duncan on Chandler. Great 1-on-1 defense means their jump shots will be contested and there will be no easy buckets. This is one of the reason Warriors beat Mavericks last year because Warriors play good 1-on-1 defense.

If Oberto comes in and Kurt goes out, Duncan switches to West and Oberto takes Chandler. Parker and Vaughn can guard Pargo and Paul. Bowen is useful for Peja and Julian Wright. Ginobili and Finley can guard Peterson. Udoka, Horry, Thomas, and sometimes Duncan are on West. Duncan and Oberto are on Chandler.

The only harm that can come is an unfavorable switch-off in which the mismatched defender will have to do his best or maybe bring in a double-team if it will help.

OFFENSE:
Hornets are playing zone with a double on Duncan. They are trying to force us to be a jump shooting team but we do not have to. We have the tools to punish their doubles on Duncan. Parker and Ginobili are two of the best slashers. I think our offense should run through Duncan.

Every offensive possession, get it into Duncan. Duncan has two options. Score before the double comes (which he has shown he can do) or pass it out to Parker/Ginobili who can slash to the basket and draw fouls.

Parker and Ginobili were great in finding ways to the basket in round 1 and Suns also played zone defense. Even though Parker was rejected by Chandler last night, he shouldn't be discouraged. Next possession, go in again, get to the foul line off Chandler and he'll back off you. Same with Ginobili. Do not settle for the 3. Furthermore, if Chandler comes out to block, that leaves Duncan open for the easy layup. Make them pay for their mistakes.

With Duncan, he could pass it out as the double team comes and the person he passes it to can pass it right back for Duncan to make the quick move. I don't expect Chandler to anticipate that.

The only shooters should be Barry, Horry, Bowen (set in the corner) and Finley. Their 3 is better than all the others and a little more consistent. I never want to see Bowen put the ball on the floor to make a move. Furthermore, I'd like to see Duncan use his jump shot to his advantage. He has a good mid-range jumper. Bring Chandler out of the paint and open up the lane. He can shoot the jumper or pass it in to a cutting Parker/Ginobili.

TEMPO:
If you're a Pistons fan, you would have watched Billups play a lot. One thing I like about him is his ability to slow the game down. He will take the ball up the court calmly and get his teammates calm. That hinders the opposing teams tempo and their runs. The more time between each of the opposing team's baskets, the less chance of a big run. Parker needs to slow the game down when he thinks Hornets are getting too jumpy. Then he can plan out the best way to score like he should do as a Point Guard (one who guards the points).

If Spurs play like this, I see no reason why they won't end this in 6. Spurs are a team that takes it one game at a time and don't think about things like "Oh no, we're down 0-2." Furthermore, Spurs are the only team in the playoffs now that have the best chance of beating that down 0-3 curse, because of their experience, mentality, and consistency. They just have to buckle down and make better decisions.

The road to the championship still runs through San Antonio, we will win this series! :flag:

DAF86
05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
I think that the key is to make at least half of all those wide open jumpers we're missing.
That'd open up things for Duncan, Ginobili and Parker to work inside.

polandprzem
05-06-2008, 06:37 AM
I think that the key is to make at least half of all those wide open jumpers we're missing.
That'd open up things for Duncan, Ginobili and Parker to work inside.

The thing is the Hornets were not shooting hight %. They just hit open J's.
Spurs were late at rotations.

After the Suns series no spurs fan could expect what is going on in this series.

What to improve?
The confidence in making plays. Spurs were ouhustled and did not played smart to prevent the NO runs.
Where was Brent Barry? pop think that his lack of phisicality will hurt the team. Well we need the shooting presents more then that.

Deuces88
05-06-2008, 09:23 AM
No, making the jumpers isn't the answer. We shouldn't even be shooting so many jumpers. We're not primarily a jump-shooting team. The big 3 is comprised of 2 slashers and a big man who dominates inside, so what are you talking about? Manu and Parker should do what they're supposed to do and that is attack the rim.

To have confidence you have to play and shoot well early on. Attacking the rim and scoring will build your confidence to shoot good jumpers later in the game. Hornets run are fueled by Spurs' sloppy mistakes. If they man up and play 1-on-1 defense, Peja won't be scoring so much. I'm happy if the only person on the Hornets scoring in double digits is Paul, so don't double team him because he's good at finding the open shooter.

Parker needs to grow some balls and stop getting scared just because Chandler blocked him. Parker will draw fouls on Chandler way more times than Chandler blocks him. Also, if Chandler wants to come out and block a driving Parker, guess who's open next to the basket? Yep, Timmy D.

The road to the championship still runs through San Antonio, we will win this series! :flag: