PDA

View Full Version : Pretend You Are Pop...

TheAffricanFan
05-06-2008, 06:36 AM
What can You do To Win This Series???

In My Opinion:
Change Starting Line-up

PG- Tony Parker Guarding C.Paul
SG- Ime Udoka Guarding MO Pete
F- Bowen Guarding Peja
PF- Tim Duncan Guarding D. West
C- Matt Bonner Guarding Thin Chandler

Why Bonner???

We Need a Hard Nosed Player that Can Box Out Chandler In the Offense and Someone that can Space Up the Floor For penetration and Kick Out. With Bonner On the Floor West Or Chandler Will have to Man Up Bonner at the 3 point line.

Why Udoka?

If we decide to play Bonner at the 3 point line, we must have someone to help Duncan to get offensive boards so I think Udoka Can Be a Big Factor to this Strategy.Defensively Udoka I bigger than and Moves better than Finley so it can bother Pejaīs moves and help out at the boards.

Why bench Finley?
Right Now we donīt need scoring, we need everything else. Finley is getting played by anyone he tries to defend and he just canīt score on anyone on this NO Starters. It doesnīt matter if he doesnīt score 10 points or six. Udoka can score the same amount of points for a game in a hurry.

Sub Duncan for K Thomas.

He can Man Up NO big guys while Duncan Takes a Rest

Play Barry Instead of Finley

Finley played a lot and we still lost by 20. If Barry Can Score Close to 10 to 16 points we can win. Barry ads better ball movement than Finley so we can have a lot of scoring options on the floor with him, Bonner, Parker, Ginobili and Duncan.

Play Damon Stoudamire with J.Vaugh with 3 Bigs.

NO got our number so it would be nice to mess up their mechanics a bit even if it happens for few minutes.

DNP Oberto

I just think that he is a complete liability against NO Bigs(smaller, slower,etc.)

Elimination Game Mentality

Letīs play like this is Game 7 Win Or Go Home

Play Bowen for Less than 25 Mins. per

If he canīt contain the best perimeter player, he is a liability too...

Last.... fire Pop if he donīt make the necessary change to win.

Weīve been the best team in Pro BBall Since Duncan Came to the league so thatīs no surprise that the Other Teams Studied Us throughout this 10 years. Pop must adapt. Itīs been more and more visible that Pop donīt have B Plans when things go Wrong and He Doesnīt have the courage to recognize and Stick with a players he doensīt trust even if they produce better results than the starters. (See the start of 4th Quarter of Game 2)

Believe!!!!!!

:flag::flag::flag:

DAF86
05-06-2008, 07:02 AM
-starting line-up: Tony, Manu, Bowen, Duncan and Thomas.

-defense: Tony on Paul - Manu on Mo P - Bowen on Peja - Thomas on West - Duncan on Chandler.

-We need a good 3 pt. % so I'd like to see these lineups at some point of the game:

1- Tony, Manu, Barry, Bonner (if Horry is making his shots stay with Rob instead of Matt), Duncan
2- Manu, Barry, Bowen, Bonner, Duncan
3- Manu, Finley, Barry, Bonner, Duncan

Don't ever leave Peja open.

-Vaughn, Stoudamire and Udoka should stay on the bench.

florige
05-06-2008, 07:03 AM

-defense: Tony on Paul - Manu on Mo P - Bowen on Peja - Thomas on West - Duncan on Chandler.

-We need a good 3 pt. % so I'd like to see these lineups at some point of the game:

1- Tony, Manu, Barry, Bonner (if Horry is making his shots stay with Rob instead of Matt), Duncan

I was really disappointed to see that he went off again for 20+. It's like we planned for West but no one else.

DAF86
05-06-2008, 07:10 AM
I was really disappointed to see that he went off again for 20+. It's like we planned for West but no one else.

The problem is that everybody is expecting him to choke but he's been great so far so I think that we should put Bowen on him never leave him alone.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2008, 07:13 AM

I'll take that.

Or if Pop wants Manu to stay on the bench, I'll take Barry in his place.

nikegirl
05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I say let chris and west loose and shut down the entire team! ala amare and nash. i think it's pretty evident now that paul cannot be guarded so instead of focusing on him focus on who he passes the ball to. We shouldnt waste Bowen on Paul when we can minus 20pts off of guarding Peja, Bonzi, MoPete.

Who's with me? This is the best we can do. And as I've said before, Manu and Parker better start driving.

Also, Barry and Ime deserve more playing time. I think Ime can try guarding Paul because he is the closest Spur that I think can emulate what Deron does to Paul. It's worth giving a shot.

DAF86
05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I'll take that.

Or if Pop wants Manu to stay on the bench, I'll take Barry in his place.

Agree, Barry needs to get more playing time than Finley.

DAF86
05-06-2008, 07:15 AM
I say let chris and west loose and shut down the entire team! ala amare and nash. i think it's pretty evident now that paul cannot be guarded so instead of focusing on him focus on who he passes the ball to. We shouldnt waste Bowen on Paul when we can minus 20pts off of guarding Peja, Bonzi, MoPete.

Who's with me? This is the best we can do. And as I've said before, Manu and Parker better start driving.

Also, Barry and Ime deserve more playing time. I think Ime can try guarding Paul because he is the closest Spur that I think can emulate what Deron does to Paul. It's worth giving a shot.

I'm with you.

florige
05-06-2008, 07:15 AM
The problem is that everybody is expecting him to choke but he's been great so far so I think that we should put Bowen on him never leave him alone.

Agreed. Like I said before, you are not going to stop Paul with Bowen, just wasting a good defender imo.

nikegirl
05-06-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm with you.

Alright!

Cmon Pop give this a shot. I really think that it's best for us to not waste energy trying to stop paul and west. just stop everyone else because they are easier to stop.

and bowen's d cannot be wasted for another game. paul isnt gonna slow down anytime soon. ime is probably the only one close to being our deron.

and barry please play barry more.

florige
05-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Alright!

Cmon Pop give this a shot. I really think that it's best for us to not waste energy trying to stop paul and west. just stop everyone else because they are easier to stop.

and bowen's d cannot be wasted for another game. paul isnt gonna slow down anytime soon. ime is probably the only one close to being our deron.

and barry please play barry more.

What Deron shuts down Paul when they play?

nikegirl
05-06-2008, 07:28 AM
What Deron shuts down Paul when they play?

Yes, well maybe not completely shut down but he is the only one who give Paul a hard time. Everytime they play Paul shoots terribly and is not as productive as he normally is. It's like no one can guard him except Deron. Deron is his achilles' heel. It has been this way since they were in college.

timvp
05-06-2008, 07:34 AM
I'd be drink wine. A lot of wine.

fyatuk
05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Doesn't matter who plays, although I agree with starting Bonner (we need a more reliable shooter and someone who plays with a lot of energy and hustle in the lineup). The Spurs need to tweak the way they are doing things on the offensive end.

Tony and Manu are looking to score when they penetrate, but the way NO is playing defense, they are having trouble getting into the lane. They need to look to pass first, especially since for the most part they've just been turning around and dribbling back out. Also, pretty much all the NO players look at the ball so they are succeptible to back cuts (see Oberto and Udoka last night). We need more off the ball motion. Also the shooters need to be ready and willing to shoot as soon as they get the ball instead of looking for the extra pass. NO has been quick enough to recover when the extra pass is made along the perimeter (but not in the post).

Kori Ellis
05-06-2008, 07:45 AM
I would never consider starting Bonner for any reason :lol, and so far Udoka seems like a playoff choker offensively.

You are right about Paul sucking against Deron Williams (something like 12 ppg on 30% shooting over 4 games this season). But Udoka is not very similar to Deron Williams at all to me. The Spurs don't have a player with similar body style/defensive style of Deron Williams.

TDMVPDPOY
05-06-2008, 07:45 AM
if i was pop? i hand it my resignation letter....

ElNono
05-06-2008, 08:03 AM
We're being lazy offensively. When was the last time Manu drove to the basket?
Tony gets blocked twice and he sits back and starts shooting jumpers. We need to play smarter and stay aggressive. We DO NOT need to just live and die by the trey. We can take a page from Phil's book when Shaq was in LA and was being double-teamed constantly. He would move out of the paint drawing his two defenders and had a cutter or two through the lane going straight to the rack.
Defensively, TP needs to start going behind the screen and dare CP to shoot. He'll get his from the outside, but any time he gets in the middle of the paint it's a total breakdown for us.
Unfortunately, I expect Pop to try a few different things defensively, but on offense, we're going to keep doing the same. He had 4 years to figure out how to counter this defensive scheme and undoubtedly he still hasn't.

2slowman
05-06-2008, 08:19 AM
We're being lazy offensively. When was the last time Manu drove to the basket?
Tony gets blocked twice and he sits back and starts shooting jumpers. We need to play smarter and stay aggressive. We DO NOT need to just live and die by the trey. We can take a page from Phil's book when Shaq was in LA and was being double-teamed constantly. He would move out of the paint drawing his two defenders and had a cutter or two through the lane going straight to the rack.
Defensively, TP needs to start going behind the screen and dare CP to shoot. He'll get his from the outside, but any time he gets in the middle of the paint it's a total breakdown for us.

I'm with you until the Pop bashing part. He didn't sit the Tony, Manu and Tim in the fourth because they were following his plan.

If we have to be a jumpshooting team to beat NO, then we have lost. Of the big three, our biggest failure is Tony. Manu and Timmy have had their bad moments, but they are trying to play our game. Tony, however, has given up on his, settling for jumper after jumper after jumper. He needs to go inside, get blocked, get knocked down, get fouled, and still put up his circus shots. He is the key, and so far, he has simply rolled over.

We can't just accept what NO is giving us. We have to take what we want and make it happen.

Oh, and more Bones. Our defense isn't shutting them down, so if we have to put up a three, let it be Bones. He has a chance of hitting them, along with Manu.

SAGambler
05-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Spurs are just settling. For long jumpers and 3s. When they do move the ball around, they do seem to end up with some good close shots. But moving it around the horn, and corner to corner is just getting them another bricked shot.

And once again, the start in the 3rd quarter is horrible.

Maybe experience doesn't trump emotion. Hornets "believe" they can get what they want, when they want, and so far it seems to be working out for them. If we are waiting for them to fold, we might as well just call off the next two, and go ahead a start summer vacation.

lefty
05-06-2008, 10:05 AM

Exactly what I would do. :tu

E20
05-06-2008, 10:07 AM
This ordeal with the Hornets reminds me of Rocky V.

NO = Tommy Gunn, up and coming, confident young team who wants to win big.
Spurs = Rocky, old, but experienced and bad ass who still can compete for it all.

Pop needs to be Mickey and bust out a motivational speech.

lefty
05-06-2008, 10:08 AM
This ordeal with the Hornets reminds me of Rocky V.

NO = Tommy Gunn, up and coming, confident young team who wants to win big.
Spurs = Rocky, old, but experienced and bad ass who still can compete for it all.

Pop needs to be Mickey and bust out a motivational speech.

Ok Spurs are not THAT old :lol