PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Hornets Game 2

timvp
05-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Another night. Same miserable nightmare. For the fourth time in the last five meetings, the Hornets have turned a close halftime score into a blowout in the second half. The Spurs put up a fight for a half – but then like usual, the second half was a totally different story.

I first have to commend New Orleans for a job well done. They’ve handily outplayed the Spurs in every aspect of the game. Right now, they just look like the better team. The main reason for the Hornets’ success is Chris Paul. He might only be six-foot nothing. He might not be that great of an athlete. But Paul is an amazing basketball player. Basketball fans have looked for the next dominating player in the league and I think he’s been located. This kid is like if you took Michael Jordan’s toughness and will to win and Magic Johnson’s game management abilities and put them in small yet powerful body. If I’m starting an NBA team tomorrow, he’s the guy I pick to build around.

The Spurs . . . oh those lovable Spurs. I don’t even know where to begin. These two games have been painful to watch. Anyone who has been paying attention knew what was going to happen in the third quarter. The Spurs just seem powerless to do anything about it.

This series reminds me of a boxing match. The Spurs came out with their gloves down and the Hornets connected with a few haymakers. It’s possible for San Antonio to recover but right now they are dazed and unsure of themselves. They basically just need to get their gloves up and go into survival mode until they can get their bearings again.

Overall, it’s a depressing situation. The Spurs went from easily disposing a tough first round opponent to the brink of elimination seemingly overnight. If they want to save their season, they have to do so right now.

-Tim Duncan played a lot better than he did in Game 1. Although, he could have not shown up to the arena and he would have done more than he did in Game 1. It’s hard to knock Duncan too much in Game 2 because the Hornets' first, second and third thoughts on defense are forcing the ball out of Duncan’s hands. New Orleans’ strategy is basically “let anyone not named Tim Duncan beat us” and honestly, that strategy has worked out great for the Hornets so far. In this game, Duncan had 18 points, eight rebounds and one blocked shot. He hit 6-of-11 shots from the field and 6-of-7 free throws. While Duncan doesn’t deserve a majority of the blame, his plus/minus of -32 is alarming. When Duncan wasn’t on the floor, the Spurs actually outscored the Hornets 27-13 in those 12 minutes. Duncan and the Spurs need to figure out how to use all the attention he is getting from the Hornets to their advantage. So far in the first two games, the Hornets have outscored the Spurs by 51 points when Duncan has been on the court. That’s just an unfathomable number.

-With Manu Ginobili, sometimes you have to put up with crazy play to get to the magical moments. Game 2 was definitely the Crazy Manu at work. His decision-making had to leave more than a few Spurs fans scratching their heads. Turnovers have been a big problem for Ginobili all playoffs and turnovers were once again a problem. He was credited with five turnovers in 28 minutes. Defensively, Ginobili was much worse than he's been at any point in the playoffs. To his credit, Ginobili was actually pretty good offensively when he wasn’t trying to force the action. He finished with 13 points, seven assists, four rebounds and shot 4-for-10 from the field. The Spurs are going to need Magical Manu if they want to win this series. The Hornets don’t have a quality swingman defender, so Ginobili is the bus the Spurs need to ride to achieve a series victory. Hopefully the bus revs up in Game 3.

-Tony Parker was horrible to start off the game. He missed his first six shots and wasn’t even getting any assists during that time. Parker was basically a non-factor for a good chunk of time. He finally got it going by hitting five of his final eight shots – but the damage had already been done. On the night, Parker had 11 points, four rebounds, three assists and three turnovers, while shooting 5-for-14 from the field. Parker has to produce if the Spurs are to win this series. If he can’t score, he has to at least create shots for the three-point shooters. He’s one of the best penetrate-and-kick guards in the NBA but you would never know by his play in the first two games.

-Bruce Bowen couldn’t do much of anything in Game 2. I thought he gave great effort defensively but the results were definitely lacking. Even with Bowen playing really good defense, Paul was able to go for 30 points, 12 assists and only one turnover. Offensively, Bowen hit only 1-of-7 shots. His inability to make a basket allowed the Hornets to throw even more help at Duncan in the low block. On the night, Bowen finished with four points, four rebounds and three assists in 27 minutes. Bowen has to find his niche in this series to warrant more playing time.

-Michael Finley couldn’t make the Hornets pay for leaving him. In 16 minutes, Finley hit only 2-of-7 shots and missed all three of his shots from beyond the arc. Besides his four points, Finley chipped in one rebound and one assist. If Finley can’t make the Hornets pay for leaving him, he’ll have to sit. New Orleans isn’t respecting his marksmanship and so far, they’ve been right not to show any respect.

-Kurt Thomas was the best player on the court for the Spurs. He defended David West remarkably well, holding West to ten points on 2-for-11 shooting. Offensively, Thomas was 4-for-6 from the field on his way to nine points. Thomas also grabbed seven boards in his 20 minutes of playing time. The Spurs’ starting center played well enough for San Antonio to get the victory. Hopefully he can bring the same level of play to the forthcoming games.

-After being out of the rotation in Game 1, Ime Udoka was back in the rotation in Game 2. While he did a good job defending Bonzi Wells, his offense was so poor that he likely will find himself back on the bench for the rest of the series. The Hornets left him wide open on the perimeter and he just looked uncomfortable trying to hit the open looks. In 25 minutes, Udoka finished with seven points, five rebounds, two assists, two steals and two turnovers, while shooting 3-for-9 from the field and 1-for-6 from three-point land. His defense and rebounding helps but his inability to shoot in the playoffs has really hurt his overall value.

-Brent Barry was the Spurs’ other bright spot outside of Thomas. Barry scored 14 points and dished out three assists in 18 minutes, while shooting 4-for-5 from the field – all of which were three-pointers. While it’s true that some of his production came in garbage time, his ability to shoot should warrant more playing time in the rest of the series. If Barry is hitting shots, playing him 25-30 minutes per game against the Hornets is a must.

-Fabricio Oberto played 14 minutes and didn’t make much of an impact. His defense was below average and he finished with four points, three rebounds and one assist. Oberto should be able to use his veteran experience against the younger bigs of New Orleans but that just isn’t happening. He’s more of a liability at this point than anything else.

-Jacque Vaughn played six minutes, most of which were garbage minutes, and did a pretty good job. With the way Ginobili struggled as the backup point guard, giving Vaughn more minutes might be an option. He also hasn’t been too horrible defending Paul. The problem is the Hornets won’t respect his jumper and his man will be able to join the sag party in the paint.

-I gave Pop a lot of credit for pushing the right buttons against the Suns. Pop single-handedly made what was likely supposed to be a really tough series into a short series just by massively outcoaching Mike D’Antoni. Against the Hornets, Pop is continuing to push buttons – but now the results are far different. Byron Scott has handily outcoached Pop in this series.

Part of me wonders why Pop is so hands-on in these playoffs. It’s almost as if Pop knows these Spurs aren’t dominant enough to win a championship if he just let them play. So instead, Pop is trying to actively maneuver and gimmick the team into winning a championship. Maybe I’m reading it wrong but that’s what I see so far in the playoffs.

I think Game 3 and the rest of the series will come down to a coaching move. Pop must, must, must switch the defensive assignments. Pop has to put Parker on Paul and Bowen on Peja Stojakovic. If he doesn’t, this series is over. The Hornets will either sweep or win in five.

If Pop does make that switch? It’s a whole new ballgame. Bowen has a great history of shutting down Stojakovic. In the first two games of this series, Stojakovic has 47 points. The Spurs just can’t beat these Hornets if Stojakovic is scoring that much. Paul and West are difficult enough to defend. If you add Stojakovic averaging 23.5 points to the equation, it becomes impossible. The good news is that Bowen can shut down Stojakovic. And while Parker isn’t going to slow Paul much, nobody is going to slow Paul much.

The strategy from here on out defensively has to be to force Paul to win games by himself. Take away Stojakovic and Morris Peterson. Send only minimal help towards West. Contain the rest of the role players. If Paul goes for 45 points to carry his team to victory, you tip your hat and go on vacation.

Offensively, the Spurs desperately need their three-point shooters to find their range. The Hornets are packing the paint defensively and daring the shooters to win the game for the Spurs. So far, the shooters haven’t been able to keep the Hornets honest. It doesn’t really matter what type of offensive set the Spurs run – be it Duncan in the low block, a pick-and-roll or an isolation – the Hornets are packing the paint on everything and leaving shooters open. The shooters need to be ready to take the shots and actually want to shoot the shots. The Hornets won’t stop packing the paint until the shooters show up.

The bottomline is the Spurs find themselves in a daunting 0-2 hole. To climb out, it starts with a Game 3 victory. Make the needed adjustments. Stick together. Gut out Game 3.

Believe.

Budkin
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
We turn this around in games 3 and 4. Then win game 5 on the road.

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Brent Barry when he is in the game during non-garbage time is not aggressively looking for his shot, and Ginobili/Parker aren't exactly looking for him either. He attempted I think one three pointer when it mattered, the other points mainly came during garbage time.

I thought about it, and I think the right move is to put Ginobili back in the starting lineup. Spurs are halfway to elimination, you have to put your best players in your starting 5. In the playoffs, sure it's great to have energy off the bench, but with starters playing extended minutes as it is, this shouldn't be a problem.

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 07:47 AM
We turn this around in games 3 and 4. Then win game 5 on the road.

Have you seen CP3? You think he's going to let the Hornets lose 3 straight games?? His will to win is on par with Kobe Bryant and MJ (and Ginobili when he's healthy and awake).

Doctor J
05-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for your thought, timvp.

I do agree with every single word. Amen.

Doctor J
05-06-2008, 07:51 AM
I think the right move is to put Ginobili back in the starting lineup. Spurs are halfway to elimination, you have to put your best players in your starting 5. In the playoffs, sure it's great to have energy off the bench, but with starters playing extended minutes as it is, this shouldn't be a problem.

I do agree. :toast

timvp
I'm all for Manu in the starting lineup. It's time to use everything in the arsenal. I'd like this rotation in Game 3:

Thomas - 35 minutes
Duncan - 42 minutes
Bowen - 40 minutes
Ginobili - 38 minutes
Parker - 42 minutes
Barry - 24 minutes
Oberto - 19 minutes

If there's foul trouble, maybe you trot out Finley or Horry ... otherwise, go with this seven.

VaSpursFan
i agree. i give scott the credit for exploiting the mismatches when Pop puts Bowen on CP. I mean Mo Pete, who hasn't done shit all season is lighting the Spurs up. Peja is looking like an all star. we need to buckle down, let CP get his and turn him into a scorer like nash. if we shut down mo pete and peja and play with a little more energy, we can take them.

florige
05-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Have you seen CP3? You think he's going to let the Hornets lose 3 straight games?? His will to win is on par with Kobe Bryant and MJ (and Ginobili when he's healthy and awake).

I feel you 1Parker. But I was just thinking about it, against LA they pretty much came out and spanked us from start to finish when they were dominating us. With this series we are always up at halftime but for some reason piss it away in the second half. If we just make a few adjustments I think we can still be competitve in this series.

2Cleva
05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Agree on the Spurs needing to shut down everyone else. Take a page from Phil's book - let Paul be a scorer and cut down on his assists by staying with everyone else. The 30 you can live with but those double figure assists, esp for 3s and dunks is whats the killer and it gets the entire team involved.

But putting Bowen on Peja doesn't seem like a Pop move. He hates to concede points to any player. The Spurs are in trouble.

byrontx
05-06-2008, 08:04 AM
As always, your insight is greatly appreciated.

There has been no CIA from Pop this series. He has been very predictable and Scott has captilized on that. Pop has to change rotations, experiment with an occasional x-factor (Bonner?) and get Parker/Manu to play with some motivation. They are playing like they have been staying up late at night reading fishing reports.

Lebowski Brickowski
05-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Stream of Concious Anger Over Last Night:

Finley currently gets the nod over Barry because he can shoot on the move coming off back screens in addition to hitting his threes. He just hasn't made any shots. Since Barry seems to have his stroke, I'd give him Finley's role.

Barry is given heat for not "aggressively" looking for his shot but that's bs. He "aggressively" looks for and gets the ball to Tim in the post better and more consistently than anyone else on the team. And he shoots the open three when it's there.

I hate it when the spurs make five passes and end up with a Thomas or Parker 18 footer and Duncan doesn't even touch the ball.

I hate it when Finley posts up on the wing with 8 seconds left on the shot clock.

I hate it when Vaughn doesn't make the first pass to another wing player but instead dribbles into a double team and has to make an awkward and dangerous pass out to the very same player who was wide open to start the set!

Thomas was easily the most consistent player on both ends of the court.

It was disgusting to watch the back door cuts and easy penetration allowed as a result of piss poor help defense by the other bigs (Tim, Oberto, Horry). It's like they just didn't care enough to try.

Why did it take 2 and 3/4 quarters to attack the paint. I know the hornets are packing the D in the lane but Manu and Tony are WAY too hesitant to drive and create.

The Spurs have lived or died by 3 point shooting for at least two years now -- The phoenix series got them away from that game. They play their best when the game is inside-out. Tim did a good job finding the open man tonight. It's not the time to be streaky shooters.

timaios
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Well, i think Spurs need great changes for next year.
They are tired. Old is fine when you have 2 or 3 vet players... not 10-12.

in 2 games vs Spurs
Peja is unbelievable ! 7-11 3pt + 47 pts
Chandler is great. 6-9 2pt + great defense + 26 reb
Morris Peterson 5-6 2pt 3-4 3pt
CP3 is CP3 !!!
David West was horrible in offense yesterday but he had 10 pts (6/6 FT) 10 reb and 5 ast in that game.

All team play great defense !!! All team is full of confidence !

Come on, i am a fucking great fan of the Spurs... but they are too old.
Manu played a fantastic season but he's not 100% healthy for the playoffs.
Bad luck.

Hornets, Lakers, Jazz, Blazers... Young players, a lot of talent, a lot of athleticism.

Spurs need great changes for next year.

I still believe though...
I must be crazy. :ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit

polandprzem
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
It was a nightmare for me more than anything.

1Parker1 said during the game thet the spurs fans do not deserve that kind of ending, and I do agree with her 121% .
More to it - I woke up at 3:15 am justb to see the game and after this dissapointoing loss I went to sleep few more hours cause I got to go to work (night shoft). So I was dreaming about the spurs all the time, a nightmare fricking nightmare. I was not sure what was reality- this dream about spurs winnig a game or spurs losing the game :dizzy

Shit, after the firts round against Phoenix I was sure (watching how NO won with Mavs) that the spurs with their character and like Manu says puting much of the pride in road games that the spusr will be successfull. One because Spurs have a force inside, two that the shooters will have some freedom toi shoot the 3pointers.
I knew the spurs are not good at shooting the ball but damn, it gives you oppurtunity to make a presents at that area.

Also the heart and desire was the aspects I thought will cause spurs tieing the series at 1-1 after two games at Super Hugos place.

I don't agree with putting Manu on the starting 5. I haven't seen spurs trio dominating that much when on the court at the same time.

As much as I liked Bowen on Nash I don't like Bowen on Paul all game long. As much as he can get into Pauls head he can't prevent him from doing his stuff. Nash is more one-dimentional player. Paul is much more versitile. And having offense like this, with moving Chandler to the basket and the shooter on their spots it's just natural for Paul to pick the poison for the spurs.
The idea to put Bowen on Peja is a must do. How much pissed I was it was insaine.

All the night I was like: wtf are you doing spurs, the fuck Ginobili don't lose that ball, shit! hit some shots dammnit! Wtf? you are leaving them open (wright, Peja, Mo).

Offense is hoorible. Scott dares spurs to shoot the ball, Scott dares them to use the players out of big 3 (shutting down the key - TP, Trap - Manu, clogg and double - that's one for Timmy.) With the agressivnes of the Hornets squad they will bust us.

Not much people realizing that we have to go 4-1 against young hungry team.
The team that had their own struggles with West and Bonzi having an off night, and the Hornets can shoot light out as well. They did not shown that yet.

There are dead moments in basketball as I call it. This are the moment where not much baskets going in and tye clock is not running quickly as well. But many thing are going on. Fouls, trash talking, timeouts offense stagnace. That is the mental aspect, mental moments if you win that battle you can go on a run. In that dead moments Hornets put up some baskets while spurs did not do anything. Then the Hornets went on a run so the spurs had to climb back into the game. They simply couldn't.

Impossible situation for the spurs.

Well I always wanted Tim to put up a unbeliable shot in the clutch in a playoff game (game 7 of the Finals - would be great). And I always wanted the spurs to be down at least two games in the series and win the series. Never happened before. It's not the situation that was in 2005 when we let up Sonics and we were demolished by the Pistons, the series were tied back then. Now not only we are 0-2 but we do not have HCA. And we are older. Sometimes experience is not enough to prevent the young team from a dream and success. Sometimes the old champions losing that battle.

I've seen much in the sports and I got to tell you that everything is possible. Sometimes it's just waiting and seeing what will come out and what can write a story for a nice history.

I haven't heard the old lady sing yet ...

One another thing - I always whated to say that IT AIN'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER.

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm all for Manu in the starting lineup. It's time to use everything in the arsenal. I'd like this rotation in Game 3:

Thomas - 35 minutes
Duncan - 42 minutes
Bowen - 40 minutes
Ginobili - 38 minutes
Parker - 42 minutes
Barry - 24 minutes
Oberto - 19 minutes

If there's foul trouble, maybe you trot out Finley or Horry ... otherwise, go with this seven.

I like that, although I wouldn't mind some of Oberto's minutes going to Horry. Oberto has been horrible this postseason, at least with Horry you can expect maybe a 3 pointer or a good charge/defensive move once in a while. Oberto looks useless out there.

And Barry should get backup PG duties.

Killakobe81
05-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Great recap some of the best stuff on this site ...
It is NOT panic time for you Spur fans but you HAVE to be greatly concerned. West played horrible and Tyson was in foul trouble and you guys still got blown out in the 3rd qtr. I agree about sticking Bowen on Peja ...you saw what Thomas and even Oberto were able to do to contain West ...and you help out on any Paul penetration except Bowen who stays glued to Peja ...parker does his best to keep him in front and guys help out when they can ...
That being said I would say at this point it looks like Hornets in 5 or 7 ...with game 4 being the key ...i assume the Spurs win game 3 they have too much pride to get swept. My Lakers swept the Spurs many moons ago (2001) BUT these Spurs are NOT those Spurs I look forward to Game 4 and 5 those will be the best games of this series so far they have only been good for 1 half ...good luck Spur fans congrats so far hornets fans let the best team win ...

SenorSpur
05-06-2008, 08:29 AM
I agree and I hope Pop makes the assignment switch by moving Bowen back to Peja. At this point, it really makes sense.

Want to see more of Barry, less of Finley.

41times
05-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Look, I'm not saying give up, that's just crazy. But the Hornets are just good.
The Spurs can win game 3 at home just like the Mavs did. The pivotal game will be game 4. That's the key game for the series. If you win, you got a series, if you lose it's over.

What is amazing is the way they hustle to the ball on defense. I can't tell you how many times i was sitting there screaming Shoot the Dam Ball every time a Spur had just a split second of an open look because you knew in an instant that a Hornet was going to come flying at the shooter. How many times did Finley or Bowen or Ginobli have to pass up an outside shot because the saw a defender flying at them out of the corner of their eye. It was almost like there were 6 Hornets and 5 Spurs on the court.

And if you think you are going to stop CP3, forget about it. The only think you can do is to try to get the ball out of his hands before half court or double him. But if you do that, Peja and West or somebody else is going to make you pay.

To beat them you have to do 3 things for sure: Get the most rebounds, have the least amount of turnovers and shoot a higher % of shots. If you do those 3 things you can beat them. It's doable, but very difficult.

Welcome to the new NBA, where guys are faster, quicker, more athletic and younger and not afraid of a big game. In other words, it SUX.

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Another reason why it makes sense to have Ginobili start, against most other teams in the league, like the Suns, Lakers, Jazz, etc. they all have players on their teams who come off the bench and provide a spark; Barbosa, Vuijic/Farmar/Turiaf, Korver, etc. This Hornets team doesn't really have a strong bench. Their strength is in their starting 5. You have to put your best players in your starting 5 against them if you want to keep up offensively and defensively with them. Make them work on both ends of the floor.

polandprzem
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
And yea, more Barry, his ball movenemnent and shooting ability.
Udoka gives you rebounds, but is non-factor on offense at all.

And I wonder if Avery gave Pop some tips what works what not against Hornets.

polandprzem
05-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Why there is something like typos in this world? :cuss

:pctoss

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Oh and this series may end up proving why Phil Jackson>Pop. Pop's stubborness gets the better of him sometimes. His refusal to deviate from the gameplan is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I guarantee you, if the Hornets go on and win and play the Lakers, Phil Jackson will have a game plan that will make CP3 a non-factor and make the Hornets look average at best. :pctoss

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 08:35 AM
The Spurs biggest problem is themselves. West, CP3, and Peja are big problems. However, the Spurs themselves are their biggest problem. They seem like they lack confidence. They are unsure what to do on offense and keep making mental errors on defense.

I will go out on a limb and say the Spurs will win the next four. Pop will figure this out and the Spurs will come out on top.

wildchild
05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Brent Barry was the Spurs’ other bright spot outside of Thomas. Barry scored 14 points and dished out three assists in 18 minutes, while shooting 4-for-5 from the field – all of which were three-pointers. While it’s true that some of his production came in garbage time, his ability to shoot should warrant more playing time in the rest of the series. If Barry is hitting shots, playing him 25-30 minutes per game against the Hornets is a must.

Agree. If we wake up in game 3, we'll need Brent 3's.

What's the hell happening in the 3rd quarter? we lost in those quarters both games.

Believe

:tu

timaios
05-06-2008, 08:43 AM
The Spurs biggest problem is themselves. West, CP3, and Peja are big problems. However, the Spurs themselves are their biggest problem. They seem like they lack confidence. They are unsure what to do on offense and keep making mental errors on defense.

I will go out on a limb and say the Spurs will win the next four. Pop will figure this out and the Spurs will come out on top.

We need to win all of our home games and then... game 7 !!!
Hawks are a good example to follow except for game 7.

Fight, fight, fight !!!

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I would like for the Spurs to start Barry instead of Finley. Barry will probably give you close to 20 if he starts if this three point shooting continues to be the way it has been. That will make the Hornets think twice about doubling Tim.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Oh and this series may end up proving why Phil Jackson>Pop. Pop's stubborness gets the better of him sometimes. His refusal to deviate from the gameplan is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I guarantee you, if the Hornets go on and win and play the Lakers, Phil Jackson will have a game plan that will make CP3 a non-factor and make the Hornets look average at best. :pctoss

+ 1

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 08:59 AM
I agree that Pop at times can be stubborn. I hate that crap. I think is a fantastic coach. However, when his back is against the wall, he at times doesn't know what to do. I have faith that they will figure it out though.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-06-2008, 09:25 AM
3 point shooting is the key. Brent has to play, and they have to look for him. Manu has to knock them down. So does Fin. Do we see some Bonner v West?

LEONARD
05-06-2008, 09:26 AM
We have no chance...

BELIEVE??? :lol

Warlord23
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM

Amen. Pop needs to take a step back and see the results of his tinkering. In past playoff runs, Bowen always used to play the wing player and then switch onto a ball-dominant PG in crunch time. This year Pop started putting Bowen on Nash throughout, even during the regular season. Not only is this gimmick not working with Paul, the rest of the Hornets are also pouring it in.

At the other end of the floor, however, Pop is not to blame. Scott has basically followed the 2004 Laker playbook, double Tim, pack the paint and dare the shooters to beat us. This is the exact opposite of what D'Antoni did in the last series when he dared the big 3 to score all the points. In recent playoff runs, other coaches have done what Scott did and have suffered at the hands off our outside shooters.

With Barry, Finley, Horry, Manu, Udoka and Bowen you'd think we could make a few more open looks. But a combination of our role players doing nothing in the last series, and generally playing hurt or playing like bums has made Scott look like a genius.

The Spurs' title teams have always had great 3-point shooting. The brickfest in games 1 and 2 is probably the beginning of the end of our run. I hope they can prove me wrong, though.

SenorSpur
05-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Experience can be an overrated commodity - especially when you're getting blown out. The Spurs have been dismal in 3rd quarters this season. As long as the Spurs continue getting blown out in 3rd quarters, the experience factor doesn't matter.

ManuTastic
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
It doesn’t really matter what type of offensive set the Spurs run – be it Duncan in the low block, a pick-and-roll or an isolation – the Hornets are packing the paint on everything and leaving shooters open. The shooters need to be ready to take the shots and actually want to shoot the shots.
Believe.

TRUE. DAT.

DarrinS
05-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Good read, as usual.

Defense:

Tony on CP3: agreed
Bowen on Peja: agreed
Thomas (and defense by committee) on West
Duncan on anyone near the rim
Udoka on Bonzi (Udoka should only come in when Bonzi enters the game)
Finley on air

Offense:

We NEED a legitimate 3-point threat (Brent needs more minutes)
The Hornets' defense overpursues the basketball. We need to make them pay for that with some solid passing and pick-n-roll.
How about playing Duncan from the high post?

I also agree that Pop is trying to micro-manage the team. Stop being so damn gimmicky and just get back to basics.

DarrinS
05-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Do we see some Bonner v West?

:lmao

spurster
05-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Chris Paul on offense is killing the Spurs. I think the Spurs need to double him hard when he comes off the pick-and-roll (or perhaps better, mix it up, sometimes hard double, sometimes check and back off, sometimes switch). Stop his dribble and don't let him get into the paint (easier said than done).

The Spurs offense has gone into a deep funk every both 3rd periods so far. They looked drugged out there. I think they should start Barry instead of Finley starting in the 2nd half with a few plays to set up open shots for Barry and others.

wildbill2u
05-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Udoka has been horrible offensively in the playoffs. Maybe its playoff nerves for a Spur newbie. When he isn't hesitating to take the shot, his shots are way, way off line.

But all our shooters are not shooting the ball well from the perimeter. Bowen's streak the other night predictably ended. If we can't hit some 3s, its fishing time for the Spurs.

Put our best 5 against their best 5 at the start. That's what most teams do to assure that the other team has its hands full. If we can't win with those guys, then we deserve to lose to the better team.

bobbybob0
05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanx for the recap Tim VP.

I failed to stay awake until tipoff (I'm in France) but seeing how it turns out I'm not that disapointed.

Gino
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM

Thomas - 35 minutes
Duncan - 42 minutes
Bowen - 40 minutes
Ginobili - 38 minutes
Parker - 42 minutes
Barry - 24 minutes
Oberto - 19 minutes

In Phoenix, they call that not playing your bench. :lol

btw - you were way to soft on Tony Parker. He was horrible last night while also showing how fantastic Chris Paul is.

ManuTastic
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Spurs offense is simple. Tony penetrates, and one of three things happens:
1-Opponents stay home on Tim, Tony scores
2-Opponents switch off Tim onto Tony, Tim scores
3-Opponents sag into the lane, Bowen/Finley/Manu/Horry/whoever has an open 3.

NO are going with option 3. We MUST shoot those 3s with confidence. Although in game 2, Tony was simply missing his open 12-footers. He keeps doing that, this series is over.

loveforthegame
05-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Might as well start Barry. He couldn't do worse than Finley. And Udoka's not getting it done offensively either.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
The Hornets are the hungrier team. That's the first thing. Also, whoever it was that said that Byron Scott has implemented the same defensive strategy that Colonel Sanders used to beat us back in 2004 is correct. Pressuring Tim and keeping Tony from driving the lane have worked. I think every team tries to keep Tony out of the paint, just very few teams have the tools to do it like NO has. The sad part is that I thought Tony had matured beyond the point where simply keeping him out of the lane was going to nullify his game.

The Spurs are going to have to take CP3 out of the game somehow. Parker on Paul and others helping out is the only way to do it I think. If Paul isn't creating, then Peja and West have it a lot harder by default. Paul has really impressed me so far. I always thought Tony and CP were nearly neck and neck as far as what they bring to a team, but so far in this series CP has been the superior talent. Parker needs to change that...and I think he can but time is running short.

Pop needs to get on the phone with his fellow coaching fraternity brothers and come up with something quick. So far, however, Pop's Nellie imitation in this series isn't working. Maybe Pop should just give up the gimmicks, say screw it, and just tell the fellas to go out there and run.

JamStone
05-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Part of me wonders why Pop is so hands-on in these playoffs. It’s almost as if Pop knows these Spurs aren’t dominant enough to win a championship if he just let them play. So instead, Pop is trying to actively maneuver and gimmick the team into winning a championship. Maybe I’m reading it wrong but that’s what I see so far in the playoffs.

I wrote a similar comment in your game 1 thoughts. Going back to hack-a-Shaq in the Suns series, it feels like Pop's micro-management of games and use of every single, possible advantage is a product of him trying to manufacture winning by something other than letting his team just play the game.

Duncan needs some serious help in the front court by way of length and athleticism. And, Tony Parker needs a back-up who either is a great play maker or great shot maker. There continues to be so much pressure on Tim, Manu, and Parker that when even one is subpar, it's a struggle for the Spurs to win. With two of them struggling, it seems like the game won't even be competitive. Forget about all three struggling. That's a wrap.

I know that Pop and RC built the team around Duncan and Parker and Ginobili to be very good three point shooters. But, the strategy should change slightly. Chris Paul is doing the doubling a lot. Parker generally waits for the kick out in the midrange area and then wants to make his move after getting the kick out pass. He needs to be more aggressive slashing to the rim without the ball when Duncan is doubled. Spacing is crucial. Oberto or Thomas have to get out of the way. If instead of Bowen's corner three pointers at roughly 40% the Spurs are getting Tony Parker lay-ups at about 90%, the double team on Duncan will become softer. Slash without the basketball off of the Duncan double teams.

Defensively, I think the Spurs are ok. Kurt Thomas played David West better, but I also think West rushed his shots early in the game and just missed some shots he normally makes later on. I tend to agree with what most of you have said already and just try to take Peja out of the equation. Paul and West will be productive whether the Spurs play great defense or not. But, Peja's game can be countered and defended. Take him out of the game, and the Spurs could be in better position to win games.

Rough start. But, the series is far from over. The Spurs need to play great to get back in it. And, they are fully capable of playing great.

florige
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM

You are right about that. God forbid we lose this series and they move on to play the Lakers, you can bet that Kobe will spend tons of time on CP. Phil Jackson will have a gameplan for him. Kobe is an all world defender and Fisher isn't a slouch himself. But I expect Kobe to spend time on him. But again thats if these series numbers hold up. Hopefully for the Spurs we will be planning on defending Kobe.

PDXSpursFan
05-06-2008, 11:00 AM
IMO, TD played OK, but was not by any mean dominant. Parker & Ginobili both sucked. TD is being limited by the double-team and Ginobili by injury. But WTF is going on with Parker?

Anyway, a lot of interesting ideas on this thread. This is what I like so far:

1) Start Ginobili
2) Bowen on Peja
3) Parker on Paul
4) I'm fine with Udoka defending Wells (but he should take less shots)
5) More PT for Barry
6)

The must important thing is that we MUST MAKE the open 3's.

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Does anyone think that CP3 will allow this hornets team to lose 4 of the next 5?

Ronaldo McDonald
05-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, i think Spurs need great changes for next year.
They are tired. Old is fine when you have 2 or 3 vet players... not 10-12.

in 2 games vs Spurs
Peja is unbelievable ! 7-11 3pt + 47 pts
Chandler is great. 6-9 2pt + great defense + 26 reb
Morris Peterson 5-6 2pt 3-4 3pt
CP3 is CP3 !!!
David West was horrible in offense yesterday but he had 10 pts (6/6 FT) 10 reb and 5 ast in that game.

All team play great defense !!! All team is full of confidence !

Come on, i am a fucking great fan of the Spurs... but they are too old.
Manu played a fantastic season but he's not 100% healthy for the playoffs.
Bad luck.

Hornets, Lakers, Jazz, Blazers... Young players, a lot of talent, a lot of athleticism.

Spurs need great changes for next year.

I still believe though...
I must be crazy. :ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit

No way your crazy.

We have every right to be confident even though we've lost two.

Stopping Peja is should be our first priority, and I think we can do that. Bowen, like timvp asid, has had great success against Peja in the past, and there's no reason why that should change.

We also need to hit our outside shots. We need to make them pay for clogging the middle.

Game five we do all of this, and we get the win.

It's not time to worry yet. They did what they were supposed to do, now it's time for us to do what we have to do.

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Does anyone think that CP3 will allow this hornets team to lose 4 of the next 5?

Maybe not. However, I think that Manu, Tim, and Tony will, will this team to four in a row. Believe 1Parker1

florige
05-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Maybe not. However, I think that Manu, Tim, and Tony will, will this team to four in a row. Believe 1Parker1

+1. Paul is still human.

cly2tw
05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Spurs have been overachieving for years as an organization. You can't expect to meet a DAntoni in every series to make it easy for you guys.

With Parker on Paul, the offense is likely to suffer further. It's kind of take your poison situation. I maintain that the only solution is for TD to strongly score against double teaming and go from there.

Lebowski Brickowski
05-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Spurs have been overachieving for years as an organization. You can't expect to meet a DAntoni in every series to make it easy for you guys.

Same "We're the more talented team" lie I've been hearing for 5 years.

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
One positive thing the Spurs can try to do and take advantage of is get Chadler in foul trouble. You take him out and that should open up the paint for Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. Also if u manage to shut down Peja with Bruce on him, that takes away 2 of the Hornets top 4 offensive/defensive strengths.

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
One positive thing the Spurs can try to do and take advantage of is get Chadler in foul trouble. You take him out and that should open up the paint for Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. Also if u manage to shut down Peja with Bruce on him, that takes away 2 of the Hornets top 4 offensive/defensive strengths.

Now you're on the right track. :tu

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Now you're on the right track. :tu

:lol I still find it hard to imagine the Spurs winning 4 of 5 against this team, but I do think they can make the next two or three games at least close.

What I don't like is the effort that was wasted in games 1 and 2. After the first half, both games were still winable. Instead Spurs didn't show up...after watching that, I don't think they even deserve to win.

michaelwcho
05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=Warlord23;2468945 Scott has basically followed the 2004 Laker playbook, double Tim, pack the paint and dare the shooters to beat us.
[/QUOTE]

Teams work their a--ses off to get open 3's. We get them by design and can't knock them down. If we would just hit a normal percentage of open jumpers, we would be even with this team at the least. But how do you win when you can't even do that?

Assuming we don't get this together and win, a few solid shooters would seem to really help for next year.

DDS4
05-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Good read, as usual.

Defense:

Tony on CP3: agreed
Bowen on Peja: agreed
Thomas (and defense by committee) on West
Duncan on anyone near the rim
Udoka on Bonzi (Udoka should only come in when Bonzi enters the game)
Finley on air

Offense:

We NEED a legitimate 3-point threat (Brent needs more minutes)
The Hornets' defense overpursues the basketball. We need to make them pay for that with some solid passing and pick-n-roll.
How about playing Duncan from the high post?

I also agree that Pop is trying to micro-manage the team. Stop being so damn gimmicky and just get back to basics.

2nd. And it's not like TD hasn't seen a double team before. We actually want the double team to come because it frees up the shooters. However, everyone's hesitating.

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
:lol I still find it hard to imagine the Spurs winning 4 of 5 against this team, but I do think they can make the next two or three games at least close.

What I don't like is the effort that was wasted in games 1 and 2. After the first half, both games were still winable. Instead Spurs didn't show up...after watching that, I don't think they even deserve to win.

I agree with that. The Spurs Big Three especially seem to have lost interest once they're down and seem to whine more than anything. Especially Tim Duncan. However, Pop will pull out the "soft" card or something to that nature and the Spurs will roll in Game Three. Take it one game at a time.

hater
05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
:lol I still find it hard to imagine the Spurs winning 4 of 5 against this team

remember 3 of those 5 games are at home

slowchild25
05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I think Game 3 and the rest of the series will come down to a coaching move. Pop must, must, must switch the defensive assignments. Pop has to put Parker on Paul and Bowen on Peja Stojakovic. If he doesn’t, this series is over. The Hornets will either sweep or win in five.

If Pop does make that switch? It’s a whole new ballgame. Bowen has a great history of shutting down Stojakovic. In the first two games of this series, Stojakovic has 47 points. The Spurs just can’t beat these Hornets if Stojakovic is scoring that much. Paul and West are difficult enough to defend. If you add Stojakovic averaging 23.5 points to the equation, it becomes impossible. The good news is that Bowen can shut down Stojakovic. And while Parker isn’t going to slow Paul much, nobody is going to slow Paul much.

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

TrueHoop reader Tim e-mails about the Spurs: "The must adjustment -- one that I think could bring the Spurs back into the series -- is to change Bruce Bowen's defensive assignment to Peja Stojakavic. If Chris Paul can't be stopped, the Spurs are better off taking away the Hornets best game-changing scorer, which Bowen could easily do. Let Paul score, but enough with the uncontested Stojakavic threes. The Spurs are typically lauded for closing out on shooters, and yet they're getting bombed from deep this series."

That you?

phxspurfan
05-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I would come up with this lineup to start the game:

Parker
Bowen
Udoka
Thomas
Duncan

Then I bring these off the bench:

Ginobili
Barry
Finley
Oberto
Horry

To start the game, I match up defensively this way:

Parker - Peterson
Bowen - Paul
Udoka - Stojakovic
Thomas - West
Duncan - Chandler

Defensive Strategy:

I instruct Bowen to go UNDER ALL PICKS by Chandler, and play 1-on-1 defense all game. I don't double Paul and don't attempt to trap him. He's too good at dribbling out of traps to find open players. I instruct everyone to stay focused on boxing out their assignments and tracking loose balls after they come off the rim.

Offensive Strategy:

I don't change much. On 4-down, I instruct all open players to shoot the ball if they're open, and play for fun. I don't apply too much pressure to do everything right, just let them keep a good finesse offense going and send 3 back on transition defense when any Spur shoots a 3.

roycrikside
05-06-2008, 01:41 PM

The strategy from here on out defensively has to be to force Paul to win games by himself. Take away Stojakovic and Morris Peterson. Send only minimal help towards West. Contain the rest of the role players. If Paul goes for 45 points to carry his team to victory, you tip your hat and go on vacation.

Offensively, the Spurs desperately need their three-point shooters to find their range. The Hornets are packing the paint defensively and daring the shooters to win the game for the Spurs. So far, the shooters haven’t been able to keep the Hornets honest. It doesn’t really matter what type of offensive set the Spurs run – be it Duncan in the low block, a pick-and-roll or an isolation – the Hornets are packing the paint on everything and leaving shooters open. The shooters need to be ready to take the shots and actually want to shoot the shots. The Hornets won’t stop packing the paint until the shooters show up.

The bottomline is the Spurs find themselves in a daunting 0-2 hole. To climb out, it starts with a Game 3 victory. Make the needed adjustments. Stick together. Gut out Game 3.

Believe.

I wish it were that simple. But Peja isn't getting the majority of his points burning Manu or even Finley. He's getting them on broken plays, transition, offensive rebounds where it's passed to him, things like that. In regular half court offense they haven't run all that many plays for him. And he killed us when we went zone. One thing the Hornets do very smartly is put Peja on the weakside and kind of get the Spurs defense to sleep and cheat by forcing so much of the action on the strong side, and just when they sag too much, there's Peja wide open, with a big like Chandler setting the screen on his defender.

SPARKY
05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Right. So you stick Bowen on Predrag and tell him not to leave his man.

Parker on Paul with Tony going under the screens. Keep Paul out of the paint.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Big problem is their inability to shoot open looks. That has been the nemesis specially in the 3rd quarter. If they can keep it close entering the 4th quarter than I believe they can win just by means of experience in crunch time.

All these games, the Hornets haven't been faced with experience-testing situations where they could be down by 2 and there's only 2 minutes left in the clock in the 4th quarter. The Spurs have to been able to contain them until the last minutes of the game and beat them there when they start getting nervous and insecure.

Beating them in Game 3 is a must with the crowd firing on all cylinders. They need to take that cockiness out of their hearts, start second-guessing themselves. The hornets knew they had to win those 2 games at home or a split would kill them. They did their job now it's time for the spurs to do their, take the momentum to their throats and backdoor sweep their asses.

polandprzem
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
First it was West as a priority to stop, now it's Peja.
The beauty of the Hornets team is that every player can go off and make a big impact on the game. It can be one game but it's all what NO needs. They do now have a comfort of losing two games and still be ahead of th spurs with HCA

ducks
05-06-2008, 02:20 PM
do you trap paul and get the ball out of cp hands?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
do you trap paul and get the ball out of cp hands?
No, you trap CP by the inbounds pass,
CP will start panicking and kicking and screaming in the trap, fall on his back pointing at both Manu and Fin saying he was fouled..

Refs will ignore him, until CP3 starts rolling around like a cranky four year old, in one direction 15 feet til' he reaches Bruce Bowen's heels forcing Bruce to try to avoid stepping on him.

Refs will reward him with free throws. Bowen fouls out.

jcrod
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Thomas - 35 minutes
Duncan - 42 minutes
Bowen - 40 minutes
Ginobili - 38 minutes
Parker - 42 minutes
Barry - 24 minutes
Oberto - 19 minutes

I agree with this. Why does he continually play Thomas low minutes. If Pop doesn't switch Bowen to Peja, i don't know what to think. He's either brillant or freaking stupid and stuburn with his ways. Why he hasn't made the switch is beyond me.

Second round series has always been Pop's and the Spurs downfall. He's 5-4 in second round series. Which makes me believe they go in unprepared and relaxed.

It also seems the PHX series took too much out of them even though they won in 5. They just look so damn so and tired out there.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2008, 02:41 PM
He's either brillant or freaking stupid and stuburn with his ways. Why he hasn't made the switch is beyond me.

Second round series has always been Pop's and the Spurs downfall. He's 5-4 in second round series. Which makes me believe they go in unprepared and relaxed.
As evidenced by the non-practice "play with some hustle" :lol

Complacency has been one of the Spurs in all of Timmy's years, worst vulnerability. Since Manu joined the core, we've seen less of it, (but sometimes even he's fallen under the team's complacent spell) so maybe Pop does get complacent or overly set in his ways, when he's accomplished a win or series win (he felt justified with small ball against the Mavs because they won some games with it...forgetting they were very very tough games), and his leadership in complacency trickles down to the team.

Can't count Pop out yet though, he's got another two days to figure something out and turn this series around coaching wise. I hope he proves us wrong and shows he's grown as a coach.

sprrs
05-06-2008, 03:51 PM
-After being out of the rotation in Game 1, Ime Udoka was back in the rotation in Game 2. While he did a good job defending Bonzi Wells, his offense was so poor that he likely will find himself back on the bench for the rest of the series. The Hornets left him wide open on the perimeter and he just looked uncomfortable trying to hit the open looks. In 25 minutes, Udoka finished with seven points, five rebounds, two assists, two steals and two turnovers, while shooting 3-for-9 from the field and 1-for-6 from three-point land. His defense and rebounding helps but his inability to shoot in the playoffs has really hurt his overall value.

He was doing more than Finley was doing with at least some defensive production.

I agree that they can still pull it out though, Pop just needs to switch Bowen to Peja and play Barry in more then two minute spurts. It's obvious that Paul's still going to get his even with Bowen on him, so we might as well use him to shut down Peja.

timvp
05-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Does anyone think that CP3 will allow this hornets team to lose 4 of the next 5?This is the same Hornets team that was in the driver's seat to win the Western Conference and choked it off. They had a two game lead on everyone but then lost three of four games down the stretch, including a must-win game against the Kings. The Hornets also almost lost to the Knicks in that stretch. I respect CP3 and the Hornets but it's not like they have an impeccable record of not folding. If they can't close out the regular season with a two game lead, it's too early to concede this series with a two game lead.

timvp
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I wish it were that simple. But Peja isn't getting the majority of his points burning Manu or even Finley. He's getting them on broken plays, transition, offensive rebounds where it's passed to him, things like that. In regular half court offense they haven't run all that many plays for him. And he killed us when we went zone. One thing the Hornets do very smartly is put Peja on the weakside and kind of get the Spurs defense to sleep and cheat by forcing so much of the action on the strong side, and just when they sag too much, there's Peja wide open, with a big like Chandler setting the screen on his defender.Watch Bowen defend Peja much? Peja is a player you sprint to on transition and never leave under any situation. Bowen knows this and has shut him down repeatedly in his career.

Finley and Ginobili for some reason don't understand that you can never leave Peja. I don't care what is happening on the court, you sprint to Peja and stay on him. If you don't allow him to get in rhythm early, he's a lot less dangerous as the game goes along.

And in one-on-one situations, I've never seen Peja successfully just walk in for a layup like he's doing against Finley and Ginobili. The chances of Peja isolating Bowen and then going in for a layup after an elementary move is about 0%.

DarrinS
05-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I agree with Timvp about shutting down Peja.

Game 1: 101-82 (19 pts), Peja got 22 pts
Game 2: 102-84 (18 pts), Peja got 25 pts

Peja simply cannot be allowed to have that much production.

Shut the fucker down.

:flag:

DarrinS
05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Also, Peja's +- is stupidly high (and series leading)

+17 in game 1
+32 in game 2

:bang

timvp
05-06-2008, 04:27 PM
http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

TrueHoop reader Tim e-mails about the Spurs: "The must adjustment -- one that I think could bring the Spurs back into the series -- is to change Bruce Bowen's defensive assignment to Peja Stojakavic. If Chris Paul can't be stopped, the Spurs are better off taking away the Hornets best game-changing scorer, which Bowen could easily do. Let Paul score, but enough with the uncontested Stojakavic threes. The Spurs are typically lauded for closing out on shooters, and yet they're getting bombed from deep this series."

That you?Good guess but no that's not me. I'm surprised Abbot still watches basketball now that the Suns have been eliminated . . .

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Honestly, I think if Pop doesn't make the switch to put Bowen on Peja the Spurs are in deep doo-doo.

I'm having smallball flashbacks from 2006.

SPARKY
05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Bowen on Predrag/Start Manu '08.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Bowen on Predrag/Start Manu '08.

Didn't Manu start in our game victory over the Hornets?

And didn't we win games where we held Peja to nothing with Bowen?

I really hope Pop churns out the seven man rotation on thursday, and plays our big three near 40 minutes +
Manu better keep his head in the game and not foul out. Parker better pick and choose holes in the defense better

Ice009
05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Bowen on Peja. I am fucking baffled why this did not happen at some point in game 1 and stunned it didn't happen at all in game 2.

POP man wake THE FUCK up.

I would definitely start Manu too. I can't remember, but Manu may have started the last time the Spurs beat the Hornets. Thanks to an above poster for bringing that point up.

Never_DoubT
05-06-2008, 11:42 PM
SPURS big 3 should step up in GAME 3 Big Time. If they can't, SPURS is in trouble.

Timmy hasn't been playing the way he played against SUNS when he's being defended by a much stronger Shaq.

Tony. I can't seem to find his confidence. So is Finley. Fin can't even make the shots he usually made.

Manu Manu..can be rattled at times..In Game 2 he committed many TO in succession which he usually does not make in playoff game. Maybe it was the atmosphere or did they just UNDERESTIMATED this HORNETS team?. Pop should give BARRY more PT so is BONNER. HORRY I think has lost his magic touch of burning treys.

GAMES 3-4 will decide this series. Timmy should step up and face this challenge. I know HE can DO IT. I can't seem to find HIS CONFIDENCE right now.

bigfundamental21
05-07-2008, 10:32 PM
We've just got to take it one game at a time. But it all comes down to playing the full 48 minutes. We have yet to see true Spurs Basketball in this series. A little home cooking should help.

BELIEVE!