PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Fans Has Your Opinion Changed?

King Ju I
05-06-2008, 08:07 AM
To begin, I would like to say that this is not a thread to make fun of the Spurs or say that they are done. I respect the Spurs alot and except them to try to flex their championship muscle in game 3.
I just would like to get a feel for after two dominant game have your views changed?
Will you hold that back until the Hornets win on the road?
Do you still think that the Hornets inexperience will make them faulter?
Are you frustrated by the fact that it was West in game 1 then Paul in game 2?
Do you think that the Spurs can come back?
Will the Spurs Big 3 have their way at home?

Im curious to know what you think.
No smack here just bball talk.

DarrinS
05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
The Hornets are a damn good team. Some of our players are not playing well, but that has a LOT to do with the Hornets swarming (no pun intended) defense. When Tony Parker can't get into the paint, that says a lot about your defense. I still think the Spurs will win at least one game in this series.

For the Spurs to win this series, they'd have to play each game like game 3 against Phoenix, and I just don't think they have that in them.

SenorSpur
05-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Agree. The Hornets made a true believer out of me when they handed the Spurs probably their single-worst home loss of this past season. While I don't recall the score, the margin was somewhere around 25-29 points. That game was virtually over by halftime as the Hornets jumped out and exploded in the 2nd quarter. The Spurs never challenged or made a run. Pop ultimately pulled the starters by the start of the 4th.

I never wrote that loss off as a mirage or a bad day. It was obvious to me then what a formidable opponent the Hornets were. They're even a much better team than people think. Whle I am a bit surprised at the 0-2 hole the Spurs are in, I knew from that regular season game on, that these guys are "for real".

fyatuk
05-06-2008, 08:21 AM
I said before the series started that the Hornets scared me more than any team. So far no real surprises for me, other than Paul flopping more than the entire Spurs team (an impressive feat with Manu, Fabs, and Thomas playing).

Spurs by 20+ in game 3 :p:

SAGambler
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Agree with both above posts. Probably if there was a series where Spurs need HCA, it was this one. And I'm not even certain that would make a difference.

Hornets are playing on emotion, and right now at least, emotion is trumping experience.

We shut down West, Paul and Peja go off on us. Seems we have no answer for at least 2 of the 3 on any given night.

BlackFlagg
05-06-2008, 08:33 AM
The Hornets are a damn good team. Some of our players are not playing well, but that has a LOT to do with the Hornets swarming (no pun intended) defense. When Tony Parker can't get into the paint, that says a lot about your defense. I still think the Spurs will win at least one game in this series.

For the Spurs to win this series, they'd have to play each game like game 3 against Phoenix, and I just don't think they have that in them.

What he said.

timaios
05-06-2008, 08:35 AM
To begin, I would like to say that this is not a thread to make fun of the Spurs or say that they are done. I respect the Spurs alot and except them to try to flex their championship muscle in game 3.
I just would like to get a feel for after two dominant game have your views changed?

No...
My opinion before the serie started : Hornets are a great team !
My opinion now : Hornets are a great team !

But these Spurs are not the real Spurs !
I am waiting the home games to see if real Spurs will finally show up.

tmtcsc
05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Nope, opinion hasn't changed. I was worried that we didn't blow out the Suns. The Suns are a BAD team and while we won 4-1, we didn't look good doing it...Except for 1 game. I knew we would need a healthy Manu to win another ring but he just isn't right.

I'm not saying we would have won if we had him at 100% but I can guarantee you he would be living at the FT line. He's an absolute warrior and isn't making any excuses so I'll do it for him. He's doing whatever he can to contribute but his ankle isn't cooperating. That's why he is settling for 3's.

New Orleans got most everyone's attention in Spurs land when they blew us out at home. I was fortunate to watch alot of their games on NBA League pass and have been impressed for a while. They have good role players and they run their stuff consistently w/o alot of 1 on 1 stuff.

Peja is playing well too. I expect him to come back to earth on the road. I thought we would win if we held West to 20 pts or less but the bench, CP and Peja made up the difference.

The Hornets struggle when athletic teams get out and run on them and get their hands up on defense. Houston did well and so did Utah. Derron played very physical against Paul and he struggles going against bigger, stronger guards. We don't have that.

King Ju I
05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I said before the series started that the Hornets scared me more than any team. So far no real surprises for me, other than Paul flopping more than the entire Spurs team (an impressive feat with Manu, Fabs, and Thomas playing).

Spurs by 20+ in game 3 :p:

Lol @ the Paul flopping. I totally agree in some ways. When Paul flops he's being super competitive and fighting fire with fire. When Bowen does it its dirty and shows that hes "a punk" lol. Thats what a bad rep can do to you. \

I wouldnt be suprised to see the Hornets lose in game 3. But if its a close game i think that spells trouble especially going into the 2nd half for the Spurs.

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
My opinion hasn't changed. I thought the Spurs would win in six and still believe it. This team is a veteran team with a lot of heart. They just haven't showed it yet. They will though.

I givemajor props to New Orleans. They have played an excellent series.

E20
05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
In all honesty I think the Spurs will win this series.

GoodToBeTheKing
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
The Hornets have looked very impressive but I believe the Spurs will win the next 4. A couple of things to keep in mind: 1) The Spurs were .4 and a Maverick miracle from 4 titles in a row. Which means the opposition either needed a miracle shot or a lot of breaks and a phenominal shooting game 7 to knock us out. 2) The Hornets have yet to face any adversity or real pressure in the playoffs--- they are playing with a tremendous amount of confidence. 3) People keep talking about experience or the Hornets lack there of. Although this hasn't been a factor for the Hornets it goes back to point 2 and once things tighten up in the series so will the Hornets. We won't win as impressively as you have in the first two games but by the end of game 6 you will be scratching your heads and wondering what happened and you will despise the Spurs with the same fervor that the Suns, Mavericks and Lakers do.

fyatuk
05-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Lol @ the Paul flopping. I totally agree in some ways. When Paul flops he's being super competitive and fighting fire with fire. When Bowen does it its dirty and shows that hes "a punk" lol. Thats what a bad rep can do to you. \

Paul's been cracking me up with that. It really is hilarious. Not that the Spurs don't have their moments of hilarity. Paul's not quite as funny as the couple of Manu-Bell-Thomas collisions last round that looked like a grenade went off in the middle of them.

I wouldnt be suprised to see the Hornets lose in game 3. But if its a close game i think that spells trouble especially going into the 2nd half for the Spurs.

Personally I think the Spurs are just plain going to torch the Hornets in gm 3. Being at home will get them refocused, etc. The Spurs really need to make sure they control the third quarter like they did against the Suns, though. The Hornets are doing a tremendous job after halftime, and props for that goes to Byron Scott.

Sigz
05-06-2008, 08:58 AM
I don't know how anyone can just say straight up "The Spurs will still take the series."

They are really sucking it up pretty badly...

Duncan is off, Gino is off/hurt... Tony is off/tired? Finley can't hit for nothing, and we just look... bad.

We are in trouble. The Hornets are a good young team...

TheTruth62987
05-06-2008, 09:23 AM
The Hornets have looked very impressive but I believe the Spurs will win the next 4. A couple of things to keep in mind: 1) The Spurs were .4 and a Maverick miracle from 4 titles in a row. Which means the opposition either needed a miracle shot or a lot of breaks and a phenominal shooting game 7 to knock us out. 2) The Hornets have yet to face any adversity or real pressure in the playoffs--- they are playing with a tremendous amount of confidence. 3) People keep talking about experience or the Hornets lack there of. Although this hasn't been a factor for the Hornets it goes back to point 2 and once things tighten up in the series so will the Hornets. We won't win as impressively as you have in the first two games but by the end of game 6 you will be scratching your heads and wondering what happened and you will despise the Spurs with the same fervor that the Suns, Mavericks and Lakers do.

2 things to point out

1) Although it's not as in depth as the Spurs, the Hornets do have some playoff experience. Peja played in all those Kings vs Lakers epic matchups in the late 90's and early 2000's. Bonzie has had playoff experience with Portland, and Chandler has been to the playoff the past 2 years. I know it's not much, but some experience is better than none at all

2) I want what you're smoking if you think the Hornets are going to lose 4 straight. It hasn't happened all year and it won't start now. CP3 won't let it happen.

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Its hard to believe that the Hornets will lose four in a row. It has happened to other teams before. We as Spurs fan know this first hand. So it can happen to the Hornets and I believe it will. Maybe its the Spurs fan in me, but if there is one proven team that can pull off four in a row, its the Spurs.

fyatuk
05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
2) I want what you're smoking if you think the Hornets are going to lose 4 straight. It hasn't happened all year and it won't start now. CP3 won't let it happen.

I'd just like to point out that this doesn't mean crap. The Suns hadn't lost 3 in a row until the Spurs did it in the first round. It probably won't happen, but associating "it hasn't happened" with "it won't happen" is a major fallacy.

It won't happen because the Hornets are just plain too good for that. As are the majority of playoff teams, every year. That's why no one has come back from 0-3 in the NBA.

samikeyp
05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
My opinion has not changed at all. I felt the Hornets were a very good team coming in and I still feel the same. They are doing to the Spurs what the Spurs usually do to other teams this time of year. In both games, NO was down for most of the first half and into the 3Q. They didn't panic, they just stayed patient and played their game, grabbed the lead and ran away with it. Is the series over? No. Do the Spurs have a lot of time to fix things? No.

spursfan09
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I will hold comments until this thing is over... I don't know what to say right now. Just that NO is playing great. Spurs look old and tired. At the same I believe that Spurs can win this series. It's not going to go be easy, but we will see what happens.

degenerate_gambler
05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
If SA can take care of business at home and make this a best of 3 series....then all bets are off.

but right now, NO is sitting pretty.

DarrinS
05-06-2008, 09:53 AM
One thing that really impresses me about the Hornets is that they are very agressive for 48 minutes. And when they get decent lead, they apply even more pressure. A lot of teams (I won't name them, but you know who they are) will get a double-digit lead and then let off the gas a little bit. When the Hornets get that kind of lead, they step on your throat.

The whole team has a swagger about them. I like that.

The one player I would get rid of is Bonzi Wells. He doesn't stay in shape in the offseason and he's not a good character guy.

Jimcs50
05-06-2008, 10:02 AM
NO is better than SA.

They deserve to win the series.

Cherry
05-06-2008, 10:04 AM

The Hornets are the better team but we where at this situation before (2-0 agaist the Lakers 2004)...and we lost.

Spurs must come back.

Jimcs50
05-06-2008, 10:06 AM
The Hornets are the better team but we where at this situation before (2-0 agaist the Lakers 2004)

The Spurs must come back.

Believe :flag:

Yes, and gas prices might go below $3 again.

:)

1Parker1
05-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Hornets convincing wins in the regular season changed my opinion. I am surprised by how much their lack of experience isn't affecting their focus and game. What's also impressive is how such a young team is able to just "turn it on" for quarters or halves. Even in the Mavs series, Hornets would stick around in the first half and then just switch gears in the second half. For a young team, that's hard to do and they're doing it.

I cannot see CP3 and David West and Byron Scott allowing this Hornets team to lose 4 straight.

hater
05-06-2008, 10:12 AM
props to the hornets!!!

they are matchup nightmare for the Spurs. This matchup is worse than Dallas vs. Spurs 2006 AND Warriors vs. Dallas 2007 combined.

and it does not help that Duncan had worst game in his career game 1. and manu had worst game in his career game 2.

Also Byron Scott is owning Pop. Did you notice he rests his players almost all 2nd quarter. They are fresh in the 3rd quarter. Pop wake the fuck up!

oligarchy
05-06-2008, 10:15 AM
If the adjustments can be made, this can be a series. The defensive rotations need to be moved. If they can find their rhythm, then they will be OK. The 3-point shooters need to make them pay. If they can do that, they can then spread the floor defensively because they won't cheat the offense. In which case, the work inside the paint can begin. If Pop stays stubborn (as we've seen in the past), this series is over.

Now having said that, the Hornets are a very good team. I'm not sure they are good enough to get past the Lakers, but a good team nonetheless.

SPARKY
Has my opinion changed about New Orleans? Not really.

hater
of course the adjustments can be made. these are the world champions. we forced game 7 vs. mavs and we were equally outmatched.

We will win next 2 games

TampaDude
05-06-2008, 10:16 AM
The Spurs are still the best team of the past decade...but the Hornets look like the best team for the next decade. The Spurs are done. Good luck in the Finals, Hornets fans! :toast

RandomGuy
05-06-2008, 10:17 AM

My opinion of NO has increased, but I think the coming 2 games in SA will see a revitalized Spurs team, for a few reasons. Pop is VERY smart and has a LOT of tools to work with for whatever adjustments he comes up with.

I still do think that the Spurs will take the series, although that is admittedly less likely than it was two games ago. It will be close, but that is where the Spurs always seem to pull it out.

GoodToBeTheKing
05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Its hard to believe that the Hornets will lose four in a row. It has happened to other teams before. We as Spurs fan know this first hand. So it can happen to the Hornets and I believe it will. Maybe its the Spurs fan in me, but if there is one proven team that can pull off four in a row, its the Spurs.

After the thumping the Spurs took in the first two games it is hard to imagine but allow me to lay it out. One of the next two games will be close the other the Spurs will have in hand in the last couple of minutes. New Orleans still feels good about themselves with 2 of three at home but unlike games 1 and 2game 5 is close coming down the stretch the Spurs execute and pull out a very tight game and go home to close out. If any of you taped game one go back and watch New Orleans for the first 6-7 minutes of the first quarter--- they were tentative and tight. As this series tightens up that is the Hornet team you will see.

Just a question for both the Spurs and Hornets fans. With all of the wars that the Spurs have gone through together do you really think that a team that wasn't in the playoffs last year led by a 23 year old point guard is going to be the team that stops them. I don't

Another point of reference. Looking back over the last 30 years at the mega-superstars of this league only Magic was able to carry his team in his first playoffs and he had a hell of a team around him. The Pistons and Thomas had to overcome the Celts. Jordan had to overcome the Pistons. Duncan and the Spurs had to overcome the Jazz initially. Kobe had to overcome the Spurs and he had Shaq in his prime. Chris Paul is an amazing player but he isn't the second coming of Magic.

samikeyp
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Just a question for both the Spurs and Hornets fans. With all of the wars that the Spurs have gone through together do you really think that a team that wasn't in the playoffs last year led by a 23 year old point guard is going to be the team that stops them. I don't

Another point of reference. Looking back over the last 30 years at the mega-superstars of this league only Magic was able to carry his team in his first playoffs and he had a hell of a team around him. The Pistons and Thomas had to overcome the Celts. Jordan had to overcome the Pistons. Duncan and the Spurs had to overcome the Jazz initially. Kobe had to overcome the Spurs and he had Shaq in his prime. Chris Paul is an amazing player but he isn't the second coming of Magic.

I didn't think so either but they have done a pretty good job so far.

Paul doesn't need to the next Magic, being the first Chris Paul seems to be working.

bulletedge
05-06-2008, 10:47 AM
The Spurs have had a great run with Duncan, et al. But everybody ages and NBA superstars are no different. Now the Spurs just look old, slow and unmotivated.

This series is quickly making them almost as irrelevant as the Mavs are and a week ago, I damn sure didn't think I would be saying that.

spursfan09
05-06-2008, 10:53 AM
The Spurs have had a great run with Duncan, et al. But everybody ages and NBA superstars are no different. Now the Spurs just look old, slow and unmotivated.

This series is quickly making them almost as irrelevant as the Mavs are and a week ago, I damn sure didn't think I would be saying that.

That word, unmotivated is the key word!

GoodToBeTheKing
05-06-2008, 10:55 AM

No offense but the Mavs are a train wreck. I don't know if there is another team in the league that would be more difficult to be a fan of than Dallas. From a 2-0 lead in the series and a 13 point 4th quarter lead in game 3 to losing 4 straight then bounced by an 8 seed then nearly missing the playoffs. Dallas isn't irrelevant they are a disgrace.

As for the Spurs they have already etched their place in NBA history. I agree the Spurs look old and slow. When the series is over it will read the Hornets looked inexperienced, rattled and out-classed.

bulletedge
05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
No offense but the Mavs are a train wreck. I don't know if there is another team in the league that would be more difficult to be a fan of than Dallas. From a 2-0 lead in the series and a 13 point 4th quarter lead in game 3 to losing 4 straight then bounced by an 8 seed then nearly missing the playoffs. Dallas isn't irrelevant they are a disgrace.

As for the Spurs they have already etched their place in NBA history. I agree the Spurs look old and slow. When the series is over it will read the Hornets looked inexperienced, rattled and out-classed.

I agree that the Mavs are a total train wreck. Thank God for the Dallas Stars!

But after watching the Hornets totally dismantle the Spurs, maybe the Mavs aren't as horrible as I thought they were just last week.

Kobe24Forever
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
The Hornets are the better team but we where at this situation before (2-0 agaist the Lakers 2004)...and we lost.

Spurs must come back.

quite honestly that's an entirely different scenario, because one it's not the spurs doing it and two, lakers were clearly the favorites and had the better team that year.

samikeyp
05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
quite honestly that's an entirely different scenario, because one it's not the spurs doing it and two, lakers were clearly the favorites and had the better team that year.

Not so much as you think. LA was the better team and the favorites but those first two games the Spurs made them look old and slow, much as the Hornets have so far to SA. What LA did, to their credit, was tweak their approach on defense, rattled the Spurs mentally and they never recovered. Say what we will about Phil, but he did a good job coaching in that series.

TheTruth62987
05-07-2008, 08:19 AM
After the thumping the Spurs took in the first two games it is hard to imagine but allow me to lay it out. One of the next two games will be close the other the Spurs will have in hand in the last couple of minutes. New Orleans still feels good about themselves with 2 of three at home but unlike games 1 and 2game 5 is close coming down the stretch the Spurs execute and pull out a very tight game and go home to close out. If any of you taped game one go back and watch New Orleans for the first 6-7 minutes of the first quarter--- they were tentative and tight. As this series tightens up that is the Hornet team you will see.

If the Hornets were so "tentative and tight" in game 1, how did they end up winning by 19 pts? Look, I understand that experience has something to do with playing well in the playoffs, but the bottom line is that the Hornets have the more young and athletic team. The Spurs look tired, and i assume it's from a physical opening series against the Suns. With all that he has done this year, how can anyone not give CP3 his due credit? Leads the league in assists. Leads in steals. Top 10 in scoring. Come on! I understand that most Spurs fans are incredible HOMERS, but give another team it's credit. The Hornets have been the better team so far in this series. Let's not forget that the Hornets have blown out the Spurs 4 out of 6 times this year, and the last time in SA they won by 25+. This team is for real, and I hope you all can realize that soon. \

ITS THE TRUTH!

Obstructed_View
05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
The Hornets are a great team playing great ball right now. The Spurs are capable of winning this series. In other words, nothing has changed.

nfg3
05-07-2008, 09:49 PM
The Hornets were the team that I didn't want to see in the playoffs. This is a matchup nightmare for the Spurs. I've been impressed with the Hornets all season and this has been a breakout year for both Paul and West. This will be an exciting tandem for years to come.

Have to give the Hornets credit for what has happened so far but the series isn't over. Am I worried? Absolutely. Because we're down 0-2? No, not that we're down 0-2 but how we got down 0-2 is what concerns me. TD had his absolute worse playoff game of his life in game 1 and Manu in game 2. This team just doesn't seem to be in sync. Credit the Hornets to a big extent but there something else going on - maybe the illness to TD in game 1 and the fact that Manu is 100% or even 80%. He just doesn't seem to have the lift in his shots since game 1 of the Suns series IMO. I'm not making excuses only observations. The Spurs have had some tough playoff games but halfway through the 3rd Q of game 2 I was asking myself "Who are these guys and where the hell did they come from?" Totally amazing so see the breakdown in focus and discipline, things that Spurs fans have prided themselves about this team for years, just seemed to up and disappear.

But things are not all lost. Bowen on Peja would help but frankly I think the Spurs need a few breaks to go their way for a change. We need for the Hornets to start missing shots and get frustrated like we were in NO. But for that to happen the Spurs have to be more focused and play their game. We can't continue to shoot this bad for the entire series. We've had wide open looks - I mean WIDE OPEN - and couldn't knock them down. Scott has basically tried to limit TD and make the other Spurs hit jumpshots to beat them and so far it's working brilliantly. Give him props for that. At this point, to use that old and worn out cliche "we couldn't throw it in the ocean right now".:bang

Some home cookin' is in order right now. The Spurs need to get a big win in game 3 and get their confidence back. They seem a little frustrated right now. They need to lean on their championship experience and savvy.

This is a tall order but not impossible to accomplish. One game at a time and focus on what they do best. This is doable. But we got to believe and have faith.

:flag: