PDA

View Full Version : Winning 5 is tough.

2centsworth
05-06-2008, 11:03 AM
The Spurs can't be satisfied with 4.

For all the Mavs fan taking joy in this series, they still are in search of 1.

5 takes the Spurs to godly status. Winning this series assures a 5th title, because no way any other team in the league is good enough to comeback down 0-2 to the Hornets.

degenerate_gambler
05-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I'll settle for a quality win Thursday night and go from there.

JamStone
05-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Shit, winning 1 title is tough.

And, winning this series assures a 5th title? Ummm ok.

duncan228
05-06-2008, 11:10 AM
If they can get out of the West this year it will be by far the hardest road they've taken to a Title.

samikeyp
05-06-2008, 11:11 AM
If there are Mavs fans taking pleasure in this then they are more pathetic than we thought.

A second round exit, even a sweep, is still better than a first round exit...well, at least in the real world.

2centsworth
05-06-2008, 11:11 AM
I'll settle for a quality win Thursday night and go from there.

always keep the big picture in mind and believe you will get there. Otherwise, we'll join the ranks of Dallas and Phoenix.

2centsworth
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Shit, winning 1 title is tough.

And, winning this series assures a 5th title? Ummm ok.

absolutely, because the Spurs will have to find something deep within to get it done. Very much like what Robert Horry did in game 5 at detroit. At that point I knew the spurs were going to win it all.

florige
05-06-2008, 11:14 AM
The Mavs fan here have been surpisingly cool from what I've seen.

SPARKY
05-06-2008, 11:14 AM
The big picture is that a champion is always remembered, even the 2006 Miami Heat.

2centsworth
05-06-2008, 11:15 AM
The big picture is that a champion is always remembered, even the 2006 Miami Heat.
I hope the spurs are not ready to be remembered.

Los Spurs
05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm afraid this might end up being a long summer...

But, it will be a good one! I'm just happy my team made it to the play-offs not like some other teams who don't even know the feeling...

SPARKY
05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I hope the spurs are not ready to be remembered.

Well, sure. But it doesn't matter when it's all said and done if it's 4 rings instead of 5.

JamStone
05-06-2008, 11:29 AM
absolutely, because the Spurs will have to find something deep within to get it done. Very much like what Robert Horry did in game 5 at detroit. At that point I knew the spurs were going to win it all.

The Horry shot was game 5 of the NBA Finals.

This is the second round.

But ok.

samikeyp
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
always keep the big picture in mind and believe you will get there. Otherwise, we'll join the ranks of Dallas and Phoenix.

You can't complete the big picture without a series of small steps. Game 3 is one of those steps.

LEONARD
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
When in doubt, refer to # of rings...

I'm going to become a Celtics fan so I can scoreboard Spurs fans...

LEONARD
05-06-2008, 11:44 AM
A second round exit, even a sweep, is still better than a first round exit...well, at least in the real world.

that's not the way I recall seeing the '06 playoffs discussed from Spurs fans...if you don't win it all it doesn't matter. Mavs fans tried to scoreboard the Spurs because Finals appearance > 2nd rd exit and Spurs fans weren't hearing it... :lol

samikeyp
05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
that's not the way I recall seeing the '06 playoffs discussed from Spurs fans...if you don't win it all it doesn't matter. Mavs fans tried to scoreboard the Spurs because Finals appearance > 2nd rd exit and Spurs fans weren't hearing it... :lol

I see you brought your generalizing "all members of a fan base are alike" paintbrush back out. I was wondering where that thing was. Some Spurs fans did say that and to some extent its true because the ultimate goal of any team should be the championship but many Spurs fans acknowledged Dallas for the better playoff run that year, a fact you chose to forget...not surprisingly. Although I still have my question from 06 that you and many of your compadres declined to answer.

In that Spurs-Mavs series, many Spurs fans played the "it's the refs fault" card and were rightly chastised by many Mavs fans, yet two weeks later, many of those same Mavs fans who chastised their Spurs fan counterparts pulled the exact same cards against Miami and some even still do. Why is it that if a Mavs fan pulls the refs card, its ok, but if a Spurs fan does it, its whining? No one wants to or is able to answer that.

samikeyp
05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Although I do agree with Leonard on one thing...

The constant "we got 4 rings" thing by some Spurs fans (not all as Leonard likes to believe) when adversity hits is weak.

Strike
05-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I see you brought your generalizing "all members of a fan base are alike" paintbrush back out. I was wondering where that thing was. Some Spurs fans did say that and to some extent its true because the ultimate goal of any team should be the championship but many Spurs fans acknowledged Dallas for the better playoff run that year, a fact you chose to forget...not surprisingly. Although I still have my question from 06 that you and many of your compadres declined to answer.

In that Spurs-Mavs series, many Spurs fans played the "it's the refs fault" card and were rightly chastised by many Mavs fans, yet two weeks later, many of those same Mavs fans who chastised their Spurs fan counterparts pulled the exact same cards against Miami and some even still do. Why is it that if a Mavs fan pulls the refs card, its ok, but if a Spurs fan does it, its whining? No one wants to or is able to answer that.

+1

stretch
05-06-2008, 12:01 PM
quite a few mavs fans would actually rather see the Spurs win, than the Hornets. and not because the Hornets beat us, but because those guys are total classless dickheads.

even though the Spurs have always been our rivals, they are always classy and respectful.

the Hornets are a very disrespectful team that gets sensitive any time an opponent fouls them, as if its a personal attack against each one of them. those guys are fucking bitches.

LEONARD
05-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Anybody that complained about the ref'ing in the Mavs-Heat series is a dumbass...like I've said 100 times before...

stretch
05-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Because only spurs fans complained about officiating in that series. no one else in the world thought that the series was fixed at all, or had load of terrible, onesided officiating. There were plenty of shitty calls that went against the Mavs too.

but there was a LOT of controversy around the league about the Finals. even people who hates the Mavs said that the officiating was terrible. T-Mac, who plays for Houston which is a big rival of the Mavericks even said that the series seemed fixed. I never noticed any articles or players running around talking about how fixed the Mavs/Spurs series seemed. You know why? because it wasn't. not one bit.

stretch
05-06-2008, 12:05 PM
and personally, i dont like blaming the series on crappy officiating, because the Mavericks still could have won the series. but there is no question that there were a LOT of very poor calls that there is even video evidence of that you could agree with as being shitty calls.

LEONARD
05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Because only spurs fans complained about officiating in that series. no one else in the world thought that the series was fixed at all, or had load of terrible, onesided officiating. There were plenty of shitty calls that went against the Mavs too.

but there was a LOT of controversy around the league about the Finals. even people who hates the Mavs said that the officiating was terrible.

true...

but still, the Mavs f'd themselves and whining about the refs, or blaming them, is just ridiculous...

samikeyp
05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
true...

but still, the Mavs f'd themselves and whining about the refs, or blaming them, is just ridiculous...

Dammit Leonard, I agree with you again!

Stretch,
I agree with you on most of your points. I don't believe refs should ever be blamed for a loss. Did Dallas have call go against them in the Finals? Absolutely but they were still good enough to win that series, which I think was your point. IMO, a fan(no matter who their team is) who blames the refs for a loss is an ignorant coward. Refs don't make players miss shots, or FT's, or turn the ball over. Refs don't make players have mental lapses and allow the other team to get into their heads. Refs make mistakes and make bad calls but you have to play through them, period.

fyatuk
05-06-2008, 12:48 PM

5 takes the Spurs to godly status. Winning this series assures a 5th title, because no way any other team in the league is good enough to comeback down 0-2 to the Hornets.

Logically, what difference does 5 make over 4? It's not going to move the Spurs up a place in number of championships (they'd still be behind Bulls, Celtics, and Lakers), etc. Why is 5 godly and 4 not?

stretch
05-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Dammit Leonard, I agree with you again!

Stretch,
I agree with you on most of your points. I don't believe refs should ever be blamed for a loss. Did Dallas have call go against them in the Finals? Absolutely but they were still good enough to win that series, which I think was your point. IMO, a fan(no matter who their team is) who blames the refs for a loss is an ignorant coward. Refs don't make players miss shots, or FT's, or turn the ball over. Refs don't make players have mental lapses and allow the other team to get into their heads. Refs make mistakes and make bad calls but you have to play through them, period.

I agree, and that was my point.

but at the same time, i can sympathize with people who do blame consistent poor officiating like there clearly was in that series. lets all be honest, if you have important players who are consistently in foul trouble due to shitty calls, or every time your team makes a big defensive play to gain momentum and the refs call some kind of phantom foul that ends up being 2 points and momentum for the opponent, that can do a lot in terms of killing your will, confidence, and rhythm, and can get in players heads a little more than people may want to admit.

i just think that what pisses me off mainly is that people called Dirk a choker because of that series, when in fact, he played 2 amazing games in game 5 and 6 of that series, and for every great play he made, Wade would get bailed out with a bullshit call on the other end. and the fact that there were so many terrible calls especially towards the end of the games (such as Wade pushing off against Terry, as well as punching Dirk in the stomach), and that Miami could only win 3 of those games by margins of 3 or less points, shows how much better that Dallas truely was. we were so close to winning it all, despite all that bullshit... it still is a tough loss to swallow down to this day.

2centsworth
05-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Logically, what difference does 5 make over 4? It's not going to move the Spurs up a place in number of championships (they'd still be behind Bulls, Celtics, and Lakers), etc. Why is 5 godly and 4 not?

same reason why #6 would be godly. It's one more!

btw, Spurs fan who are not proud of the 4 rings need to join Mavs fan. Then you guys can complain how other team throw rings in your face.

The simple truth is Spurs are in a battle for #5 and being nice nice with everyone is no way to be IMO.

fyatuk
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
same reason why #6 would be godly. It's one more!

btw, Spurs fan who are not proud of the 4 rings need to join Mavs fan. Then you guys can complain how other team throw rings in your face.

The simple truth is Spurs are in a battle for #5 and being nice nice with everyone is no way to be IMO.

Actually, my problem with the statement was that it devalued the Spurs previous accomplishments. I mean, I could understand if it was #6 (move into tie for 3rd all time), but not 5. The repeat is a bigger deal than the fact that it'd be 5.

2centsworth
05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Actually, my problem with the statement was that it devalued the Spurs previous accomplishments. I mean, I could understand if it was #6 (move into tie for 3rd all time), but not 5. The repeat is a bigger deal than the fact that it'd be 5.

logically you're right, but emotionally the next one is the biggest. I love the 4 don't get me wrong. It's cool to take pictures at the at&t center with the trophies. However, those parades and celebrations are awesome, so I want another.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Drive for five...MAKE IT HAPPEN SPURS!! FUCK

fyatuk
05-06-2008, 02:49 PM
logically you're right, but emotionally the next one is the biggest. I love the 4 don't get me wrong. It's cool to take pictures at the at&t center with the trophies. However, those parades and celebrations are awesome, so I want another.

Now that I can certainly understand and agree with!

boutons_
05-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Winning a non-repeat 5th in 2009 will be VERY tough.

Winning The Repeat in 2008 is a lot tougher.

miss paxton
05-06-2008, 03:48 PM

but there was a LOT of controversy around the league about the Finals. even people who hates the Mavs said that the officiating was terrible. T-Mac, who plays for Houston which is a big rival of the Mavericks even said that the series seemed fixed. I never noticed any articles or players running around talking about how fixed the Mavs/Spurs series seemed. You know why? because it wasn't. not one bit.

Actually, I do recall an article by Skip Bayless complaining that the officiating seemed to favor the Mavs in that series. Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/060519) it is. You don't have to agree with Bayless's opinions or conclusions, but to say that "nobody" wrote anything criticizing the officiating in that series is not accurate.

That being said, I don't think any series in 2006, or any other year, was fixed, or I'd quit watching the NBA.

More on point to the original topic, if the Spurs do manage to pull off this series win against NO, and then go on to win the title, I think it just might be favorite title. They've looked so downright bad at times this season, and certainly against this team in this series, that to win would really show me special determination and heart.

stretch
05-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Actually, I do recall an article by Skip Bayless complaining that the officiating seemed to favor the Mavs in that series. Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/060519) it is. You don't have to agree with Bayless's opinions or conclusions, but to say that "nobody" wrote anything criticizing the officiating in that series is not accurate.

That being said, I don't think any series in 2006, or any other year, was fixed, or I'd quit watching the NBA.

More on point to the original topic, if the Spurs do manage to pull off this series win against NO, and then go on to win the title, I think it just might be favorite title. They've looked so downright bad at times this season, and certainly against this team in this series, that to win would really show me special determination and heart.

Skip is basically a "nobody", in that nobody takes him seriously, especially when talking about Dallas teams. The mavericks could go 82-0, hold every opponent to zero points, win the title and every single award that the league hands out, and he would still find a way to say that they were a fluke team and that any old Bill Russell or Wilt team would wipe the floor with them. He's a fucking retard.

21_Blessings
05-07-2008, 04:50 PM
The Spurs are done. Time accept your fate and watch the Lakers dominate for the next 7 years

LavaLamp
05-07-2008, 05:06 PM

Actually, a Hornets vs. Lakers, or a Hornets vs. Pistons, or a Hornets vs. Celtics series would be interesting. Any of those three teams (including the Spurs) can defeat the Hornets in a seven-game series.

miss paxton
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Skip is basically a "nobody", in that nobody takes him seriously, especially when talking about Dallas teams. The mavericks could go 82-0, hold every opponent to zero points, win the title and every single award that the league hands out, and he would still find a way to say that they were a fluke team and that any old Bill Russell or Wilt team would wipe the floor with them. He's a fucking retard.

As I said, you don't have to agree with him and I'm not surprised you don't. You can hate him, call him a nobody, call him biased, I don't care--I have no personal feelings about him. But regardless of his motivations, it is still a fact that a national journalist wrote a piece criticizing the officiating in the Spurs-Mavs series. I have no idea why ESPN hires the incompetent jackasses that they mostly do, but if Bayless is biased against the Mavs he's certainly counter balanced by others at the network, such as Mike and Mike who seem to love (or at least did, don't know if they still do) Mark Cuban.

GrandeDavid
05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Detroit would be tough for the Spurs, so would the Lakers and Celtics. I don't think anything is guaranteed. This would be the toughest title run, perhaps.

Princess Pimp
05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

5 takes the Spurs to godly status. Winning this series assures a 5th title, because no way any other team in the league is good enough to comeback down 0-2 to the Hornets. :nope

Enjoy your offseason!

SAtown
05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi louis. Does your butt still hurt?

urunobili
05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
If they can get out of the West this year it will be by far the hardest road they've taken to a Title.

and it would make it the sweeter...:flag: