PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Aren't Finished

tmtcsc
05-06-2008, 11:22 AM
We have been thumped, kicked, punched..whatever you want to call it, but we aren't done by a long shot. The Hornets looked impressive as hell AT HOME and held their home court advantage.

As bad as it looked, as bad as its felt, we have still led at half time twice. The Hornets aren't invincible. They can be beat. What the Spurs need is some home cooking, a little energy from the home crowd and some shots to go down.

We have lost our focus on defense in the second half and that has cost us big time. We have also allowed the Hornets to rattle us on offense. We are settling for 3's instead of forcing their guys to foul us by taking the ball to the rim.

This series isn't over by a long shot. We've gone up on the Lakers, Sonics, Kings and Pistons 2-0 and looked unstoppable. All those teams came back on us. We are down 2-0 and the Hornets are not going to be resting on their accomplishments. They want to finish us and they will be focused.

If we can regain the momentum and get 2 at home, the pressure shifts right back to the younger team. We have to win both in order to really have a shot at this. we don't have to win 4 in a row, just go 2-1-2.

Better ball movement, more patience and resolve and we'll right back in this thing. No need to be bitter, depressed or angry over the bad games. Just take care of business at home and get back up.

mexicanjunior
05-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I would love to be optimistic about this but...the look of despair on the faces of the big 3 says it all to me. They just have no answers. Duncan hanging his head heading to the bench as Pop pulls the starters in the midst of a blowout is Spurs - Lakers from 2001 and 2002 all over again, except this time we don't have the young talent (Parker, Duncan, Ginoboli) to look forward to getting better...

spursfan09
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I always thought the fans were spoiled, including myself. Seeing the Spurs so vulnerable will fire the crowd up.

tmtcsc
05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Good Gawd, Detroit had us hanging our heads just 3 years ago. We couldn't do anything right in Detroit. Tim was clanking free throws, we were turning the ball over, getting outrebounded, out-hustled, etc.

We got it back together and recovered. We aren't playing the Lakers w/ Kobe and Shaq, we are playing a very good, young team that is playing lights out. Like I mentioned, we need to play balls out, tough defense and win 2. They won't shoot the same high percentage and they won't be in the same comfort level on our court. It seems as though they can't miss at home.

I do hope that Pop puts Bowen on Peja, Parker on Paul and Finley on that 2 guard with the quick trigger. That's how we beat them in Game 1 of the regular season. Why did we switch ?

mexicanjunior
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Good Gawd, Detroit had us hanging our heads just 3 years ago. We couldn't do anything right in Detroit. Tim was clanking free throws, we were turning the ball over, getting outrebounded, out-hustled, etc.

In the Detroit series, we had handled them with ease the first 2 games, so we had the confidence in knowing we had it in us to defeat them if we just played the way we did before...There is no winning foundation to use as a rallying point against the Hornets. I really wish there was but I just dont see what adjustment will save them. It's now just a matter of hoping the Hornets will beat themselves with turnovers and missed shots. When both teams play to their ability, I think the Hornets are just better...

xtremesteven33
05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
for the hornets its easy to win at home. but its so much harder to win on the road expecially at the kings court. they took a poll recently from players asking what place is toughest to play and i believe that the at&t center came in 2nd place as the toughest place to win at. not just because we have great fans but also cause our players play better.

tmtcsc
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM
In the Detroit series, we had handled them with ease the first 2 games, so we had the confidence in knowing we had it in us to defeat them if we just played the way we did before...There is no winning foundation to use as a rallying point against the Hornets. I really wish there was but I just dont see what adjustment will save them. It's now just a matter of hoping the Hornets will beat themselves with turnovers and missed shots. When both teams play to their ability, I think the Hornets are just better...

That's to my point. We handled them with ease and then they came right back and blew us out twice in a row. How do you explain that ? Playing at home makes a ton of difference in the playoffs.

I thought our best win of the regular season came against the Hornets in Game 3. We had been blown out the last time we played them at home and we responded with a tough, hard earned win. After being out played thoroughly, we will have 2 days to rest, recover mentally and get back to playing Spurs basketball. The crowd alone will cause a few more makes for us and few more misses from them.

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I love your enthusiasm!

mexicanjunior
05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
That's to my point. We handled them with ease and then they came right back and blew us out twice in a row. How do you explain that ?

Honestly, I think that was more due to the Pistons being a really good team that was about evenly matched with us in 2005. I honestly don't think this Spurs team is as good as that Pistons team (which shows how good we were in 2005 to beat them). I just don't see the matchups going in our favor across the board, they are better our even at almost every position...

tmtcsc
05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Do you remember our performance in Game 3 against Phoenix ? I didn't know we had it in us to play or shoot that well. That's all I'm saying. We will see how much this team wants to win.

celldweller
05-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Are team just needs some home cooking to get re-focused. THIS ISN'T OVER!!!

mexicanjunior
05-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Do you remember our performance in Game 3 against Phoenix ? I didn't know we had it in us to play or shoot that well. That's all I'm saying. We will see how much this team wants to win.

We aren't playing Phoenix, the Hornets actually care about defense. If we were down 0-2 to the Suns, I would feel much more confident about our chances due to the Suns lack of intensity on the defensive end and their inability to get important stops. I love your optimism and hunger to believe, I really do...I'm just not sold that believing is going to carry us or the Spurs to victories against what I think is a superior team hitting on all cylinders...

tmtcsc
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
We aren't playing Phoenix, the Hornets actually care about defense. If we were down 0-2 to the Suns, I would feel much more confident about our chances due to the Suns lack of intensity on the defensive end and their inability to get important stops. I love your optimism and hunger to believe, I really do...I'm just not sold that believing is going to carry us or the Spurs to victories against what I think is a superior team hitting on all cylinders...

I know where you're coming from. I've gone back and forth on this. I told a friend of mine that we were done in 5 after I saw game 1. He told me I was over-reacting and that it was just one game. I said, "no, that's the 3rd blowout."

After re-watching (dreadfully) the games, I can see how we are making mistakes, forcing things etc. I still think Manu is injured, but in any case, we have led both games by half time. We are dying in the 3rd qtr and then things get out of hand.

If we compete for all 4 qtrs, we'll have chance to win. There's no shame in defeat. We are the 3rd seed and they are the 2nd. We are the underdogs and a loss to them wouldn't be considered under achieving.

I've seen the Hornets lose, it happens. Can they keep up their intensity on the road ? Can they respond if we tie them at 2 games a peiece ?

That's what makes the playoffs great.

crc21209
05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Fuck this, We've seen this Spurs team be down 3-1 to the Mavs two years ago and everybody said well theyre just better than us across the board but yet we forced game 7! Now even though we lost, we had a chance to win had it not been for Manu's foul. And in 05' gettin beat down by 30 to Detroit in Detroit and having to see Tim on the bench with a look of defeat and Pop tapping and rubbing his knee letting him know it would be ok.....We made it through before damn it....and we're going to do it again....BELIEVE.

Bulwark
05-06-2008, 03:25 PM
We'll win Game 3. Game 4 is up in the AIR. Mike Taylor brought his bad Mavs mojo with him.

duncan228
05-06-2008, 03:26 PM
We'll win Game 3. Game 4 is up in the AIR.

Game 3 is the only focus right now. Duncan said it last night. "One game at a time."

boutons_
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Coming back @ATT from 0-2 and advancing to WCF is definitely not a dream, but a within-reach reality.

It would make The Repeat so much sweeter.

The Spurs absolutely did not play like Spur that 2nd halves of game1,2. There's much more to the Spurs than that.

It's completely up the Spurs, not the Hornets, what happens in Game3,4.

Go Spurs Go

Bulwark
05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Game 3 is the only focus right now. Duncan said it last night. "One game at a time." I agree, but I can't help hearing all the pundits that this is the Mavs 2.0 (I know blasphemy). I digress. One game at a time.

BillsCarnage
05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Spurs are D-O-N-E

No way the Spurs will win 4 of 5 to win the series.

crc21209
05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Spurs are D-O-N-E

This coming from a guy who's team has never won, jack. lol.

Los Spurs
05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
for the hornets its easy to win at home. but its so much harder to win on the road expecially at the kings court. they took a poll recently from players asking what place is toughest to play and i believe that the at&t center came in 2nd place as the toughest place to win at. not just because we have great fans but also cause our players play better.

Fuck that lame buzzing and booing their crowd pulled on us.

I say we GET LOUD on Thursday & Sunday :flag:

Los Spurs
05-06-2008, 03:37 PM
This coming from a guy who's team has never won, jack. lol.

That's exactly what I told him on his damn thread... :lol

Kermit
05-06-2008, 03:39 PM

Seriously? The buzzing and booing was fucking awesome. I wish our crowd were that excited during a game.

ambchang
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
The Spurs CAN come back in the series with a few adjustments, even though the Hornets matches up very well with them.

1) Shut down Stojakavic - Put Bowen on him. He is a rhythmic shooter, and is deadly with a catch and shoot.
2) Let Paul shoot - put parker on him, but cut off his passing lanes (much easier said than done). Mo Pete can't create, Chandler can't create, and Stojakavic is most dangerous when others create for him.
3) Single cover David West with Kurt Thomas. Do not bite for fakes. Let him shoot 18-foot jumpers, even though he can nail them regularly. It is better than having him shoot point blank layups.

On offense:
1) Nail those damned outside shots - More Barry, more ball movement.
2) Do no force penetration into the paint - Parker and Manu cannot force the action against the Hornets, these are NOT the Suns, they actually defend, and they do it very well. The two has to pick their spots and can't stay at one speed all night.
3) Use Duncan as a decoy, have him draw in defenders, and then kick it out. Then nail your damned outside shots.

Overall:
Play with higher intensity, concentrate on the play at hand, and don't worry about the calls. The series has been evenly called, so don't act like a fool and complain about them.

tmtcsc
05-06-2008, 04:01 PM
The Spurs CAN come back in the series with a few adjustments, even though the Hornets matches up very well with them.

1) Shut down Stojakavic - Put Bowen on him. He is a rhythmic shooter, and is deadly with a catch and shoot.
2) Let Paul shoot - put parker on him, but cut off his passing lanes (much easier said than done). Mo Pete can't create, Chandler can't create, and Stojakavic is most dangerous when others create for him.
3) Single cover David West with Kurt Thomas. Do not bite for fakes. Let him shoot 18-foot jumpers, even though he can nail them regularly. It is better than having him shoot point blank layups.

On offense:
1) Nail those damned outside shots - More Barry, more ball movement.
2) Do no force penetration into the paint - Parker and Manu cannot force the action against the Hornets, these are NOT the Suns, they actually defend, and they do it very well. The two has to pick their spots and can't stay at one speed all night.
3) Use Duncan as a decoy, have him draw in defenders, and then kick it out. Then nail your damned outside shots.

Overall:
Play with higher intensity, concentrate on the play at hand, and don't worry about the calls. The series has been evenly called, so don't act like a fool and complain about them.

I agree with just about everything you said.

Bowen can't stay in front of Paul but most people can't. So, use Bowen to stick to Peja like glue. Give Peja 8 pts and you still are plus 12 or 14. He's been the key to the blowouts all along.

Guard West tight and keep Chandler off the boards. CP is a true point guard and looks to get other people shots. Hell, make him drive to the basket, he'll get tired eventually and once the legs go, the outside shots will stop going in too.

Believe me, this is doable.

I would like to see us take the ball to the rim more. We are playing right into the Hornets hands by settling for long outside jumpers which have a tendency to start fastbreaks the other way.

Get to the FT line ! Make them foul you and get them off the court.

miss paxton
05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
don't worry about the calls. The series has been evenly called, so don't act like a fool and complain about them.

This can't be said enough.

BillsCarnage
05-06-2008, 04:28 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo

:lmao:lmao

TampaDude
05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Spurs are D-O-N-E

+1 NFW the Spurs win this series. The Hornets are just way too good. The Spurs will be lucky to not get swept in 4 straight blowouts.

Oh, Gee!!
05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't like their odds at this point. Iffen they win the next 3, we have a shot.

CP3forMVP
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
wow, you spurs fans are smarter than i thought yall were. the spurs arent finished. they have two or three more games, then they're finished :rollin

mFFL03
05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
spur fans are starting to sound like a senile old man. doesn't compromise, conform, or think.

an old...senile....man....

just sad.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Look Wright and the other bench players aren't going to hit those wide open 3s at San Antonio with the home crowd against them.

tmtcsc
05-07-2008, 08:46 AM
wow, you spurs fans are smarter than i thought yall were. the spurs arent finished. they have two or three more games, then they're finished :rollin

I love it...Overconfident and no rings on your fingers. yeah, this series is over. relax, go watch the Lakers and Jazz games and choose who you'd rather face.

IF you are fortunate to win this series, you can go talk to Mavs fan about how it feels to beat the Champs and still not win the title. You can swap pep-talks about how you'll be in the playoffs for years to come and how the West is going to be your playground..blah blah blah

You're not winning shit this year and if you don't win it all, the season is a failure. That's for real. That's what it means to be a Spurs fan. You either win it all, or the season is a failure.

The Spurs will re-arm themselves and be right back in a position to win for years to come regardless of how this semi-final series turns out.

Oh, Gee!!
05-07-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm hoping for a Lakers-Celtics finals now that the Spurs are officially done.

Manufan909
05-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Since when did this turn into a best of 3 series? Cuz I thought they had to lose FOUR before it was official.

ecksodia
05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Hrm.. the Hornets are riding this giant wave of emotion, too. If we beat them twice at home who knows how they'll react to the losses (this is where playoff experience is supposed to be a factor.. Now the Spurs just have to put themselves in a position to make it a factor).

michaelwcho
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
One thing... I think we need to lay some wood on these boys. It's a rite of passage that every up-and-coming team has to go through in the playoffs. When CP or Chandler is going to the rim, I want to see some serious hackage. Make them earn the points and the fouls, don't just flop and give them free throws without pain.

Nothing dirty, but good hard playoff fouls. So far, they've been flying around with impunity, and that's simply not playoff basketball.

1usamotorsports.com
05-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I noticed that cp3 is a pretty good flopper .

Avitus1
05-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Spurs will win.

Spurs73
05-07-2008, 11:18 AM
For those of you so called Spurs fans that are saying the Spurs are done. Please get all the way off the bandwagon now. No need to post about a series when it's already over and you sure as hell have no right to jump back on when they pull this off.
F'n front runners.

GinobiliLooms
05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
We're fucked.

Princess Pimp
05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
We have been thumped, kicked, punched..whatever you want to call it, but we aren't done by a long shot. The Hornets looked impressive as hell AT HOME and held their home court advantage.

As bad as it looked, as bad as its felt, we have still led at half time twice. The Hornets aren't invincible. They can be beat. What the Spurs need is some home cooking, a little energy from the home crowd and some shots to go down.

We have lost our focus on defense in the second half and that has cost us big time. We have also allowed the Hornets to rattle us on offense. We are settling for 3's instead of forcing their guys to foul us by taking the ball to the rim.

This series isn't over by a long shot. We've gone up on the Lakers, Sonics, Kings and Pistons 2-0 and looked unstoppable. All those teams came back on us. We are down 2-0 and the Hornets are not going to be resting on their accomplishments. They want to finish us and they will be focused.

If we can regain the momentum and get 2 at home, the pressure shifts right back to the younger team. We have to win both in order to really have a shot at this. we don't have to win 4 in a row, just go 2-1-2.

Better ball movement, more patience and resolve and we'll right back in this thing. No need to be bitter, depressed or angry over the bad games. Just take care of business at home and get back up.

They are DONE Stick a fork in 'em

SPARKY
05-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Funny, you said the same thing last series.

Before I forget, why would someone troll an opposing team's fan usenet groups and message boards for the last decade?

Man in the Arena
05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
for the hornets its easy to win at home. but its so much harder to win on the road expecially at the kings court.

It's worth noting that the Hornets have one of the best road records in the league (and the second-best in the West) at 26-15. Obviously, it's gonna be no picnic to go into San Antonio and get a sweep, or even to come back to NOLA with a split. But if there's a team that's prepared to do it...

colargol
05-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Only 13 of the 211 teams to lose the first two games have accomplished that feat.

BELIEVE

LavaLamp
05-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Are MexicanJunior and Whott actually the same person? Other than the Finley-love, they seem to have the same sentiments, vibe and opinions.

I agree that it is not over. The Spurs know what they need to do to win. I believe we will see their best game yet this post-season.

tmtcsc
05-20-2008, 11:38 AM

NICE ....Just like I said.

tmtcsc
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM

** chirp** ** chirp **

http://bravellir.com/gallery/d/6888-1/tumbleweed2.gif

DDS4
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
So much epic fail in this thread.

TampaDude
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
+1 NFW the Spurs win this series. The Hornets are just way too good. The Spurs will be lucky to not get swept in 4 straight blowouts.

I was 100% wrong and 100% happy about it...GO SPURS GO!!! :flag:

T Park
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
:lmao @ Suns fan failing again.