PDA

View Full Version : Major rebuilding in 09 for the Spurs.

carib
05-06-2008, 01:09 PM
The Spurs went by for a few good years with out changing the team chemistry and the nucleus of the team was always intake. Over the past 3 years they added a few pieces as role players to support the nucleus of the team, and they were very successful at that. The time is upon the Spurs to rebuilt the team and let a few players go their time is up and their services were well appreciated along with their contribution., but for the future success of the franchise it's time for major reconstruction.

So to all of you great players that made the Spurs Franchise such a great success we rise our :toast to you for all of the :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:, thanks Alot.

Kermit
05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
The towel throwing on this board is reaching ridiculous levels.

Los Spurs
05-06-2008, 01:17 PM

:lol

carib
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Let’s face it if we repeat we must still rebuild;

Finley, Horry, Stoudamire, Vaughn, Bruce and Brent it's needed for the Spurs to be competitive every year.

Kermit
05-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Wasn't that the plan all along?

gasolina
05-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Aren't you supposed to "like the fear?"

It means youre close. It means youre ready!

jag
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM

:lmao

Bob Lanier
05-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Trade Duncan! Traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaduncan!

carib
05-06-2008, 07:37 PM

No one is throwing in the towel we still can win it all, but the odds are great this year and even greater next year, for us win with the same team.

WildcardManu
05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Stop embarrassing yourself, root for the Spurs 100% and nothing more., Seems you're trying to put the fire out in the bandwagon you're riding by making ridiculous assumptions that it's time to rebuild, right now it's about the playoffs.

21_Blessings
05-06-2008, 07:52 PM
OP is smart. The Spurs are done.

Time to accept reality and realize you will be winning nothing with a bunch senior citizens on the roster.

pauls931
05-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Trade Duncan! Traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaduncan!

Trade you Shaq for him, we'll even throw in that guy from the Clippers that never gets to play.

GrandeDavid
05-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Make me a proud Texan in Brazil, Tiago Splitter! Hopefully we'll get championship #6 during his rook season.

ElNono
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/984/74758ohnoeverypanicsu5.gif

King Ju I
05-06-2008, 08:16 PM
lol isnt that kid Tiago Splitter supposed to be a beast? The Spurs have a future but the window is closing. 09 is way to early. I say 11 or 12.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
OP is smart. The Spurs are done.

Time to accept reality and realize you will be winning nothing with a bunch senior citizens on the roster.

"bunch senior citizens"? Man, you are one stupid fuck.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Anyways, the Spurs were "old" 3 championships ago.

PlayoffEx-static
05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
The re-tool is on, but it's for the summer of 2010. We won't be able to do anything except fit some draft picks and exception FAs around the Big Three until then. We just won't have any cap room. That doesn't mean there won't be new faces, but look for a turnover of maybe 4 players.

tlongII
05-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I think the NBA is evolving to the point where you need "4" stars to win a championship. Not just 3.

GrandeDavid
05-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Exactly! I'm sick of this they are old and boring bullshit. The Spurs are experienced, disciplined and championship-tested. F- the Hornets and the rest of the franchises in the playoff field. There ain't no quit in this team or me either, for that matter. Four fucking straight. Mark my words.

SPARKY
05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
When has "young" won a championship?

21_Blessings
05-06-2008, 08:55 PM

No they really werent

ipeefreely
05-06-2008, 08:57 PM
The Spurs went by for a few good years with out changing the team chemistry and the nucleus of the team was always intake. Over the past 3 years they added a few pieces as role players to support the nucleus of the team, and they were very successful at that. The time is upon the Spurs to rebuilt the team and let a few players go their time is up and their services were well appreciated along with their contribution., but for the future success of the franchise it's time for major reconstruction.

So to all of you great players that made the Spurs Franchise such a great success we rise our :toast to you for all of the :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:, thanks Alot.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaH

The TITANIC has hit the iceberg, and the tip is pointing up and the middle is about to break and then....LOL you know the rest......

All the rats jump ship....

You ought to, this team is TOAST

CubanMustGo
05-06-2008, 09:09 PM
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaH

The TITANIC has hit the iceberg, and the tip is pointing up and the middle is about to break and then....LOL you know the rest......

All the rats jump ship....

You ought to, this team is TOAST

And a fan of the Charlotte Bobkitties would know toast. Not to mention rats.

Phenomanul
05-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Can Mahinmi be brought up for this series against the Hornets?

(This may have been addressed already)....

PlayoffEx-static
05-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Can Mahinmi be brought up for this series against the Hornets?

(This may have been addressed already)....

Ian's been on the 15 man roster all year. Austin's season is done, so I'm sure he's at the back of the bench in a suit.

Capt Bringdown
05-06-2008, 11:45 PM

We've got to win 4 out of 5 against a team that has a habit of blowing us out.
Pretty good reason to be pessimistic.

Even if you set aside the predicament we're in, this team still has major moves to make in the off season unless we want to sit on our laurels.

cly2tw
05-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Fire Pop! The Suns need a new coach to finally win a title. ;)

BlackSwordsMan
05-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Who on the Seattle supersonics can Spurs get?

BlackSwordsMan
05-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm still shocked over that Gasol trade. Jesus fucking christ

ecksodia
05-07-2008, 01:13 AM
... this is reminiscent of a mavs board after getting bounced out of the playoffs.

Shaolin-Style
05-07-2008, 01:33 AM
The next 2 games are on our floor. And we've had some good fortune on our floor with the suns.

All the spurs have to do is build some confidence with 2 wins, and take that into game 5 and steal one.

But hey, 09 is gonna be good too. Even if we're (unlikely) eliminated in the semis, we'll still be primed for a championship run next year.

loquats
05-07-2008, 01:33 AM
... this is reminiscent of a mavs board after getting bounced out of the playoffs.

LOL! Hornets blowing up teams all over the place.

jag
05-07-2008, 01:48 AM

You provide matchup problems for half-court teams.

WildcardManu
05-07-2008, 02:14 AM

Upstarts don't really last long.

SouthTexasRancher
05-07-2008, 03:16 AM

Finley, Horry, Stoudamire, Vaughn, Bruce and Brent it's needed for the Spurs to be competitive every year.

You left off Oberto and Thomas. Ever since David retired we've had problems at the Center position. They've come and gone. Pop needs to get Timmy some help/relief. And we need shooters. When we are off we stink up the whole NBA. Night after night we get big, fat gooseeggs from two starters...Finley and Bowen. OK, we get a couple baskets from one or the other on certain nights but, when you add Oberto into the starting lineup you have two guys who can score, Tony & Tim. We also need alot more athleticism and length.

Pop and RC have their work cut out come the off season. In the meantime there should be no way we lose this series. Our guys need to get focused again and remember they are the Champs. I don't even recognize the team wearing the Spurs uniforms these past two games. I lood for a big win Thursday night. After all the Heat did it against the Mavs 2 years ago. The Rockets did it in their back-to-back years. The Lakers did it to us about 3-4 years ago. It can be done if the guys dig down deep and become 12 Rocky's.
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag::lobt2:

Now Go Kick Hornet's Butt...!!!

21_Blessings
05-07-2008, 03:31 AM
In the meantime there should be no way we lose this series.

Why? The Hornets are a better basketball team.

Princess Pimp
05-07-2008, 03:41 AM
Why? The Hornets are a better basketball team.
Total ownage by the Hornets

Princess Pimp
05-07-2008, 03:42 AM

Finley, Horry, Stoudamire, Vaughn, Bruce and Brent it's needed for the Spurs to be competitive every year. Your Spurs WON'T REPEAT.

carrecaminos
05-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Your Spurs WON'T REPEAT.

And you won't win a fucking shit. Suns are the worst shit on earth.

Pricessmoron.

Kermit
05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Your Spurs WON'T REPEAT.

The Rockets are still playing?

VinnyTestesVerde
05-07-2008, 09:04 AM
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/984/74758ohnoeverypanicsu5.gif

:lmao seriously.

can we not tap the brakes here for a second and consider the idea that THE SERIES IS FAR FROM OVER?!?

carib
05-13-2008, 11:30 PM
We look real made but we can get 7 games out of this one, but this is showing way we need some youth.

ChumpDumper
05-13-2008, 11:31 PM
It's going to happen no matter what. No need to bump this after every loss.

DriveFor5
05-13-2008, 11:56 PM
It's not rebuilding if our core remains in tact (Duncan, Ginobili, and TP)

Were the Bulls considered "rebuilt" after their 1991, 1992, and 1993 championships?

It was a different team around MJ/Pippen for the 1996, 1997, and 1998 championships.

carib
05-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Are there any free agents out there that the Spurs might be attracted to?

ElNono
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
No thread like this one is complete without the usual impossible trade idea that would never materialize:

- "I know! Let's trade for Chris Paul!"...

dknights411
05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Your Spurs WON'T REPEAT.

Meh, we've got enough bling on our side to ease the pain.
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

:hat

RandomGuy
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM

http://tadhg.com/images/design/fearisthemindkiller_400x300.jpg

RandomGuy
05-19-2008, 04:33 PM
:lmao seriously.

can we not tap the brakes here for a second and consider the idea that THE SERIES IS FAR FROM OVER?!?

12 hours and it will be over either way.

carib
05-29-2008, 10:45 PM
please drop all the old heads

carib
05-29-2008, 10:48 PM
who will be back next year

Indazone
05-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Spurs are gonna need more firepower to compete. I think your starting 5 except at center are just fine but you need serious at Center and you need more scoring from your bench. Damon Stoudamire is a joke. Get rid of him. You need a better big man cause Oberto isn't going to get it done. You need a guy who can put points in the bucket and dominate the lane. Tough order there...I don't know how you guys are going to do that. Your reserves definately have to be upgraded or at very least, developed. You have to have scoring down to the 9th man and be able to keep pressure up down the stretch when your starters are tired.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
:lol @ rocketfan

lakehorn
05-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Trade Manu while the Spurs may actually get something for him, he'll be 31 this summer.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 10:54 PM
lol just sayin cause if you don't we are gonna blow your butts out of the water next year

ChumpDumper
05-29-2008, 10:55 PM
pfft, you'll probably have to play someone else in the first round and never make it out.

:lol again

Mr. Body
05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Horry, Finley gone. The rest of the team pretty much has to stick around, because there's not a lot of room to rebuild this team. They'd need to actually spend money on a free agent and not trade away assets for nothing, it's a very weak FA class, and Splitter isn't coming over. That's a lot of very bad.

Plus all they've done in the last two years is get Oberto and then Udoka. That's it. Oh, and trade away next year's draft pick for a guy we didn't actually need.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 10:59 PM
pfft, you'll probably have to play someone else in the first round and never make it out.

:lol again

lol :toast

carib
05-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Are we still going to be competitive next year with all the old players leaving the team and a new bench on its way? Let’s face it we are not going back to war with that same bench.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Um, I don't see any quick fix and quite frankly, I don't know if our Big 3 are as good as the Lakers, Hornets or even the Jazz next year at this time.

carib
05-29-2008, 11:06 PM
The Lakers are going to be a much better team next year with their big man back in the line up and the Spurs can't run with them now. its going to be a long summer.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Well maybe you can talk Orlando into giving you Dwight Howard LOL

Mr. Body
05-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Things don't look good. Like one of those round table guys nailed it: this is a second round team for the next few years, but are perhaps only 3rd or 4th in the conference going forward.

Don Quixote
05-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Well, if what the Spurs have to count on is a healthy Manu, then we won't win too many more titles! Players over 30 don't tend to get over injuries any better as they age. I'd package him now for somebody like Trevor Ariza or Ben Gordon, while he still has some value. Begin the rebuilding process.

I'd like to keep Tony, but let's not pretend he's a great, great PG. He's very good, that's all. But it's obvious that we need bigger, stronger, younger, more athletic, better shooting players. In short, like what the Lakers have.

At least we've seen the last of Finley in a Spurs uniform. And Horry. And maybe Thomas, Oberto, Stoudamire (what a pickup!) and Barry. Bowen will be gone soon enough. And then we can rebuild the team for another dynasty.

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh yes, it's all over. The Spurs are doomed. Yadda yadda yadda.

VaSpursFan
05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I think the NBA is evolving to the point where you need "4" stars to win a championship. Not just 3.

i believe the era has passed for the version of spurs defense that we have grown accustomed to. lock down d is great but not at the expense of offense. we've got to figure out a way to maintain the d and add some offensive firepower.

Don Quixote
05-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Um, I don't see any quick fix and quite frankly, I don't know if our Big 3 are as good as the Lakers, Hornets or even the Jazz next year at this time.

I knew this all year! We were fortunate to get by New Orleans in 7. But our Big 3 isn't as good as the stars, put together, for the Lakers, Celtics, Jazz, or the Hornets.

Who on the Jazz could we get for Manu? Williams is not attainable, but what about Price or Kirilenko? Maybe Harpring. They'd be good additions for us.

Mr. Body
05-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh yes, it's all over. The Spurs are doomed. Yadda yadda yadda.

Quality post!

Indazone
05-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Get rid of Thomas and sign this guy. You can't do any worse!!

C
Jermaine O’Neal (ETO)
- Jermaine O’Neal’s wheels just seem to keep falling off. But I’m sure someone will take a risk on him, as this is really not a deep free agent class at center. Jermaine has all of the low post skills you would expect from a center, but in recent years he has been plagued by injuries and its really hampering his free agent pull. Teams that have been interested in him for years seem to be looking elsewhere (like the Nets). He is going to have to show that he can stay health before he can return to an elite status, but in a relatively small group of free agent centers, he still makes the top tier.

Pros: Great scoring and defensive skills. Lanky defender.
Cons: Extremely injury prone.

mowgli
05-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Looks like there is significant retooling to be done, but there doesn't seem to be enough space to make it happen. And it's not like I'm in denial that the Spurs are on the downslope or that it was inevitable, but I hate to see Duncan's final years amount to nothing. The worst part is that this could have been avoided, but the organization has been very near-sighted in the past few years.

T Park
05-29-2008, 11:15 PM
If Splitter comes over, then you don't have to do much other than spend the MLE and LLE and get a wing guy.

Barry still has ALOT left in the tank thats evident.

Back up point
shooting guard
If Splitter comes, thats it.

If he doesnt, then you have to see if you can do a sign and trade and get a quality big.

carib
05-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I was saying from last year that the Spurs needed a young back up for Bruce Bowen now that he is lost a step or two it would be good if he had a young player under his wings from last year getting ready for the future, some one quick on his feet, solid D and can hit a mid range J.

rascal
05-31-2008, 12:58 PM

Don't forget Portland. They are going to be a good team with all that young talent.

greens
05-31-2008, 07:29 PM
After the 2006 loss, did the Spurs completely rebuilt? NO.

Did they win the very next year in 2007? Yes, with that same old core.

carib
05-31-2008, 09:22 PM
After the 2006 loss, did the Spurs completely rebuilt? NO.

Did they win the very next year in 2007? Yes, with that same old core.

The West was weak at that point.

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Hey Ghost, who's Ian Mahinmi (without Googling)?

carib
05-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Jermaine O'Neal sees himself being traded, with that said the Spurs need to go hard and strong for O'Neal do what you have to do in order to make it work what better is out there.

carib
11-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Here we go again, it's time for a change.

xtremesteven33
11-07-2008, 09:18 PM
i think i missed the part where manu and tony are out for the whole season.....

Harry Callahan
11-07-2008, 10:44 PM
This team will not win enough games in November and December to be in a position to make the playoffs. This is the Western Conference, not the Eastern Conference. This is little room for error.

Not enough offensive firepower. The guys who have done it for the last six or seven years are either no longer here or in street clothes (outside of Duncan).

The guys on the floor will give effort, but that is not enough.

This team is now going to be bad offensively as well as defensively.

Bowen can't even get on the floor.

This team has been unbelievably good the last 11 seasons. Sometimes good fortune just does not come your way and it is sure looking like this season is going to be a long one.

This sucks.

I am going to make it a point to go to a game in person this year around Christmas because I want to see the big three on the floor at one time. I hope it comes to pass.

Ghost Writer
11-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Jermaine ONeal is a shell of his former self.

Gimpy knees. Fvck that.

It's not 2003.

And "rebuilding" implies an conscious choice to transition to get better.

galvatron3000
11-07-2008, 11:35 PM

Have you seen the team as presently constructed provide any glimmer of hope? Finley gets too many minute and doesn't produce. The Defense is suspect to almost nonexistence and to top it off rebounding is atrocious. Manu is hurt til possibly December and Parker is now out about 2 weeks. All this in the deep Western conference and the Spurs play in the toughest division in the NBA.

All that said, watching them you try to find something like all the previous year that you can lean on through the bad time and this team has absolutely nothing because we don't have anyone who can create off the dribble to make life easy for Tim in the Paint or create opportunites for the others.
We can't rebound against a center-less Haet team, my god!!

Injuries are taking an already barely palyoff team down to a lottery team in one swoop. I've watched these games and nothing has changed wxcept it's gotten worse. After double OT against the TIMBERWOLVE, for crying out loud, I can see the writing on the wall.

I'm still waiting on POp to atleast sit Finley. He started Mason tonight which was good but gave Farmer's backup minutes to Finley. They guy is a class act but he's done. He's officially Steve Smith 2002-2003.

I'm looking for a major roster adjustment to see what the Spurs can do tro salvage their chances of atleast making the playoffs but unless something MAJOR changes(which it can) we are lottery bond.

galvatron3000
11-07-2008, 11:39 PM
I agree.

The Spurs are in the same position the Yankees were a few years ago when they signed A-Rod (which I think was a huge waste and sent the franchise heading the wrong direction).

Very very interesting off season coming up for the Spurs. The trades/signings the F.O. does will make or break the franchise for the foreseeable future imo.

Critical moment.

I think we need another BIG in the Paint, and a Pure Shooter/Scorer who is consistent. Those 2 are a given. We'll be sitting pretty knowing the Big 3 will be back.

We need Ron Artest, seriously. If this thing with the Rockets doesn't work, we can sure use this guy. His game would fit the Spurs. I think Timmy and Pop can handle his personality.

We really need a SF. Take a look at trying to get possibly Rasheed this summer. Gauge where Gist is and don't forget Jamario Moon is available so keep him as the Roger Mason we can afford this summer.