PDA

View Full Version : It's Radio Ratings Day!

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
The Radio Ratings Book comes out within hours.......
I'm waiting to get word on a few things.

How WOAI - KTSA battle goes
How Ticket- ESPN battle goes

For better or worse, I'll post details when the smoke clears.....

Kori Ellis
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
There's a WOAI-KTSA battle?

Thank goodness you all don't talk about that crap here too. :lol

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Not Really, It's always been WOAI over KTSA, but there are our nearest competitor when it comes to News/Talk.

Curious to see how well ESPN did. They launched in Feb, so we should see a quick hit, if it's going to be a player.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm curious too. I expect Taylor to be dominating though. Most people who I know who listen to local radio, listen to him (and hate him). ESPN's lack of advertising is really hurting them, I believe.

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 02:57 PM
ESPN's lack of promotion is hurting them big time. Most guys I talk to don't even know that ESPN has a radio station here. I agree with Kori on this one.

pkbpkb81
05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
the ticket will win but as soon as espn puts up a billbord or two they will make a run at it but the ticket will still win in the end

Evan
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
DALLAS men 25-54

6 a.m.-10 a.m.
2. The Ticket (Dunham & Miller) – 9.1
7. ESPN Radio (Mike & Mike/Colin Cowherd) – 3.7

10 a.m.-Noon
2. The Ticket (Norm Hitzges) – 6.4
8. ESPN Radio (Cowherd/ Michael Irvin Show) – 3.8

Noon-3 p.m.
1. The Ticket (BaD Radio) – 7.1
8. ESPN Radio (Irvin/Galloway and Co.) – 3.5

3 p.m.-7 p.m.
1. The Ticket (The Hardline) – 7.2
6. ESPN Radio (Galloway/Hour of Hansen) – 4.6

pkbpkb81
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
the ticket wins in dallas but what about in sa

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-06-2008, 03:45 PM
KSTX, fool!

pkbpkb81
05-06-2008, 03:52 PM
what are the numbers for sa fool

Evan
05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
ESPN in Dallas is unbearable.

pkbpkb81
05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
yeah when ever i go thought that area i listen to the ticket ticket its good

stretch
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
ESPN in Dallas is unbearable.

Galloway and Irvin can be alright. And I don't mind mike and mike either. but the Ticket still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ESPN.

Evan
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
yeah when ever i go thought that area i listen to the ticket ticket its good

Its the original ticket.

The Ticket in Dallas shows the Spurs much love, no bias whatsoever.

Evan
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Galloway and Irvin can be alright. And I don't mind mike and mike either. but the Ticket still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ESPN.

I like Irvin but Galloway is too much of a character.

Irvin almost had a show on the ticket but he wanted a fortune and could on fit him in at night and the ticket runs too many post game shows.

stretch
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I like Irvin but Galloway is too much of a character.

Irvin almost had a show on the ticket but he wanted a fortune and could on fit him in at night and the ticket runs too many post game shows.

Galloway is not a bad analyst at all to me. Just sometimes does exactly as you say... tries to be too much of a character.

MoSpur
05-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I stopped listening to the Ticket as much when they replaced Out of Bounds with Dan Patrick. I would much rather listen to Mike and Mike than DP.

Evan
05-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Galloway is not a bad analyst at all to me. Just sometimes does exactly as you say... tries to be too much of a character.

I like him in print though.

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Don't have the full #'s yet.
But surpringsly stayed pretty close to the Fall Book.

Morning was flat, Mid Day with Rome fell a little (He had a monster Fall Book), and Afternoons stayed the same which is great news.

Ticket will drop just a bit, but it's not as big of a drop as other years. So I'm happy.

I haven't broke it down, but ESPN didn't even register on the scale from what I saw. Which is weird because It did when it was Spanish Oldies.

They didn't have a full book because they missed part of the first trends, but they should have seen a decent pop. If they can't break Spanish Oldies numbers, I can't imagine them sticking around for a while.

That's a lot of Talent $ over there for them not to see a blip in the ratings.

I'll know more tomorrow when I have time to look over all the #'s.

cornbread
05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
It's also a sweeps month so disregard the crappy news promos that will be all over radio and tv.

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
And yes, the Ticket in Dallas is Awesome.
The promotion of the station is great, the hosts are good and funny, and it's a great product.

There are very few stations in the entire country that can boast those type ratings for a sports station

stretch
05-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I like him in print though.

yea

remingtonbo2001
05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm the only one that listens to ESPN Radio.

DeeBo
05-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Ticket will drop just a bit, but it's not as big of a drop as other years. So I'm happy.

What makes you happy? Bragging rights, or you get a bigger check?

please explain. Another question I always wondered about is........how come you and Stacie won the Tony Bruno "Listeners" contest to be on the air for a day contest if you two were involved with the ticket?

I heard Andrew Ashwood say that the contest was rigged is that true?

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
What makes you happy? Bragging rights, or you get a bigger check?

please explain. Another question I always wondered about is........how come you and Stacie won the Tony Bruno "Listeners" contest to be on the air for a day contest if you two were involved with the ticket?

I heard Andrew Ashwood say that the contest was rigged is that true?

To the first question, I would say Paycheck.
Obviously, the better the ratings, the more listeners which means when clients advertise it works better which makes them come back.

The name of the game in radio is not getting one time advertisers, but clients that come back over and over again because results are good. So yeah, the better the ratings, the happy advertisers are, and the more they spend.

So paycheck it is.

Regarding the 2nd question.

At the time of the contest. I was working in the Gas/Oil industry and she was with Hooters. So, I really have no idea if it was rigged or not. We never met Andrew until after win won.

I would think that FSR liked the tape, and the gimmick of a guy and a good looking girl would be a good fit for the show.

It wasn't until the contest that Stacie started doing the Sat. morning show with the Thompsons, and it wasn't until about 15 months later that I did anything related with the Ticket.

But if Ashwood rigged it. That's awesome. It's been a really fun career path, and had he not, I might still have a boring ass job in Gas/Oil industry.

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 06:18 PM
and oh yeah. A little clarification about the ratings.
ESPN prob won't show up much, if any on this book. Tends to be about a 6 months time frame before a new station shows up unless it's a huge FM switch with a lot of marketing.

So, this really isn't at all an important book for them. I may have jumped the gun just a bit.

DeeBo
05-06-2008, 06:25 PM
So then good ratings is good for your job are you part of the advertisement on the Ticket?

How much is it to have a 15 second commercial? I have a small business.

And I thought you and Stacie was already doing radio, I think the gorilla had plans for Stacie so winning the contest was only to help promote the show.

I didn't send in a tape but my ex boss did and he was pissed when Tony Bruno said it was rigged. :lmao

But then again what on radio or TV isn't?

GoGatos
05-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Like Peter, I haven't received a breakdown, but for the Ticket to keep basically the same numbers is huge. It means not only did we gain NEW listeners when Taylor came on board, but we KEPT them. That's huge.

I too didn't expect big numbers from ESPN. The only people who knew of that station are the ones who read Jakle or SpursTalk or happened to catch the News 4 thing...once they start advertising, it's only natural that they take a bit of our numbers. We're not even planning "SA's #1 Sports Station" promos because no one even knows there's another one.

I will say this though about our ratings: If our numbers stayed the same, that means we pulled a 5.5 or higher in the 5 o'clock hour. That, my friends, for sports talk in this market, are big boy numbers.

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
So then good ratings is good for your job are you part of the advertisement on the Ticket?

How much is it to have a 15 second commercial? I have a small business.

And I thought you and Stacie was already doing radio, I think the gorilla had plans for Stacie so winning the contest was only to help promote the show.

I didn't send in a tape but my ex boss did and he was pissed when Tony Bruno said it was rigged. :lmao

But then again what on radio or TV isn't?

Yes, I'm a Senior Account Manager for all 6 of the stations. But I focus on Ticket and WOAI.

:15 Commercials can range anywhere from $10 to $100 depending on what station and what time of day. PM me if you are serious about it.

On the Ticket, it tends to be about $20-$25 per :15.
Sports stations tend to lend good results to any male-driven product or service.

It would make sense the Gorilla wanted someone in his market to win....unbeknownst to us, but the Gorilla ended up leaving WOAI/Ticket to take the VP of FSR. So, I guess he had good connections.

DeeBo
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Those are some very reasonable rates almost cheaper than the paper. I wonder why there isn't any more promoting of such low rates to have a commercial on the radio. I thought it would be at least 200.00 dollars.

I have a laptop repair service and if only 4 people call in I will make my 200.00 back so I may Pm you at the end of the week after I finish my books! :tu

Now as far as the commercial goes do you guys sell the product or do i have to make the cheesy commercial?

DeeBo
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Like Peter, I haven't received a breakdown, but for the Ticket to keep basically the same numbers is huge. It means not only did we gain NEW listeners when Taylor came on board, but we KEPT them. That's huge.

I too didn't expect big numbers from ESPN. The only people who knew of that station are the ones who read Jakle or SpursTalk or happened to catch the News 4 thing...once they start advertising, it's only natural that they take a bit of our numbers. We're not even planning "SA's #1 Sports Station" promos because no one even knows there's another one.

I will say this though about our ratings: If our numbers stayed the same, that means we pulled a 5.5 or higher in the 5 o'clock hour. That, my friends, for sports talk in this market, are big boy numbers.

I wonder if those numbers are due to the fact that Jeff and Wally sucked so bad or if Mike Taylor is really better than I gave him credit.

I would like to know the Numbers from the Don Harris and the Jay Howard show to make a comparison. How far back can you go in your ratings books?

GoGatos
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I wonder if those numbers are due to the fact that Jeff and Wally sucked so bad or if Mike Taylor is really better than I gave him credit.

I would like to know the Numbers from the Don Harris and the Jay Howard show to make a comparison. How far back can you go in your ratings books?

I don't actually get to look at the numbers personally. Those things are guarded better the Fort Knox. I am told only what is pertinent to me. That said, I have been told that STSA's current ratings (this book and the fall book) are the highest Ticket760 has ever received in the afternoon drive slot...so take that for what it's worth.

ScoobyDoo
05-06-2008, 07:34 PM
roo rives aruck?

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Those are some very reasonable rates almost cheaper than the paper. I wonder why there isn't any more promoting of such low rates to have a commercial on the radio. I thought it would be at least 200.00 dollars.

I have a laptop repair service and if only 4 people call in I will make my 200.00 back so I may Pm you at the end of the week after I finish my books! :tu

Now as far as the commercial goes do you guys sell the product or do i have to make the cheesy commercial?

Yeah, the paper is the huge ripoff. They've priced themselves out of the market. Plus, the younger generation goes online for almost all sources of news. By the time it's printed, it's out of date.

Print media is quickly fading away. Let me know about the laptop biz. I'll be your first customer. I've got a laptop down right now.

The production of the commercial is free of charge. So we can create whatever type of commercial. Sometimes catchy works, but I prefer just get to the point advertising.

Let me know

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 07:51 PM

I can go back a few years. STSA is at the highest it's been.
Again, it won't ever hit Limbaugh or Beat/KISS #'s, but compared to other shows, it does quite well.

Taylor was real strong with the Core Sports Demo which is Men 25-54.
Good enough that he was among the big hitters with the big stations.

So keeping those ratings steady is really good news for both programming and sales.

The next book will be big because it will be ESPN's first real ratings book, and it won't have anything Football related.

Good things they don't have a website....UNREAL.....:lmao

What the Ticket needs is a good local morning drive show. :wakeup

Evan
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM

You have got to be kidding me....

What sort of signal do these SA sports stations pump out and do either power down a bit at night?

PeterBurns
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I know Ticket powers down at night. And there station has been on for 3 months and still no website....

Evan
05-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Thats stunning they don't have a website.

The Ticket up here in Dallas in all its glory powers down all 3 signals at night and it drives me batshit insane. Thankfully they stream everything over the interweb.

Danny Trejo
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM

That is like a Mexican restaurant opening it's doors and not having any tortillas,

WTF wrong with those vatos?

theMUHMEshow
05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
you guys should all listen to www.971theticket.com in Detroit ;)

GoGatos
05-07-2008, 10:30 AM
You have got to be kidding me....

What sort of signal do these SA sports stations pump out and do either power down a bit at night?

Both Ticket and The Zone are required by the FCC to power down at night. Ticket powers down from 50,000 watts (mostly directed south, which is why we can be heard in Laredo and Corpus) to 1,000 watts at night. I believe 1250 goes down to 1,000 at night as well...although, it seems like someone is forgetting to do that over there because some people on the radio-info boards are saying they heard ESPN 330 miles north of SA the other night...during the day 1250 is 25,000 watts I believe, which at night would be a BOOMING signal. Just hope no one with the FCC gets wind of that.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Both Ticket and The Zone are required by the FCC to power down at night. Ticket powers down from 50,000 watts (mostly directed south, which is why we can be heard in Laredo and Corpus) to 1,000 watts at night. I believe 1250 goes down to 1,000 at night as well...although, it seems like someone is forgetting to do that over there because some people on the radio-info boards are saying they heard ESPN 330 miles north of SA the other night...during the day 1250 is 25,000 watts I believe, which at night would be a BOOMING signal. Just hope no one with the FCC gets wind of that.

"There's no negotiation with the fellas at the freakin' FCC!" (http://www.jibjab.com/view/197052)

Evan
05-07-2008, 10:41 AM

Wow thank you that’s interesting.

I always thought stations powered down at night to save money…why does the FCC require stations to do so?

travis2
05-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Wow thank you that’s interesting.

I always thought stations powered down at night to save money…why does the FCC require stations to do so?

AM stations can propagate via "skywave" channels at night. Also known as "bounce" or "skip".

During the daytime, the sun energizes the atmosphere and the skywave paths get broken up.

Certain stations in a region have "dibs" on their frequencies at night. That is, they are allowed a "no-interference" zone of sometimes hundreds of miles. Some of these are the so-called "clear-channel" stations (not to be confused with Clear Channel Communications, although that's where they took their name from...WOAI is a "clear channel" station) that blast away at 50,000 watts 24/7. Other stations don't have the 50kW license, but still have a non-interference zone.

The upshot is that if a station is on a frequency that another station has nighttime priority over, all other stations have to power down at night to comply with non-interference regs.

Evan
05-07-2008, 11:39 AM
AM stations can propagate via "skywave" channels at night. Also known as "bounce" or "skip".

During the daytime, the sun energizes the atmosphere and the skywave paths get broken up.

Certain stations in a region have "dibs" on their frequencies at night. That is, they are allowed a "no-interference" zone of sometimes hundreds of miles. Some of these are the so-called "clear-channel" stations (not to be confused with Clear Channel Communications, although that's where they took their name from...WOAI is a "clear channel" station) that blast away at 50,000 watts 24/7. Other stations don't have the 50kW license, but still have a non-interference zone.

The upshot is that if a station is on a frequency that another station has nighttime priority over, all other stations have to power down at night to comply with non-interference regs.

Ok so then older established stations have ownage of the night and newer stations are screwed until the sunrise.

I knew older frequencies had better signals but I didn't know they had the AM signal rights to the night.

So let me ask you this...wouldn't it be smart for a station in SA to set up a tower in Mexico?

Assuming they can afford it...

travis2
05-07-2008, 11:53 AM
There are treaties between the US and Mexico that govern night-time AM propagation as well. Doesn't mean that Mexico always follows them, but they do exist...

Evan
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
There are treaties between the US and Mexico that govern night-time AM propagation as well. Doesn't mean that Mexico always follows them, but they do exist...

But a station could still crank it up during the day? or is that covered as well?

travis2
05-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Up to whatever they are licensed for.

PeterBurns
05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Okay here's what I figured out.

From Fall to Winter Book.

Ticket went from 62,000 listeners to 60,800
ESPN went from 35,000 listeners to 22,000

Who knew that Spanish Oldies was so big?

GoGatos
05-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Are you talking total 12+? I wanna see the breakdowns from 3-6...that's all I care about.

Evan
05-07-2008, 01:50 PM

where did the listeners go?

PeterBurns
05-07-2008, 02:41 PM
where did the listeners go?

Happens normally to Sports stations because Football season is registered in the Fall Book. So Winter tends to be a little softer than Fall Books.

Also, you have to realize that the Radio ratings are a very outdated way to measure listening audiences. People have to fill out diaries, so some times a single diary can represent thousands of people in the community.

It's all jacked up.

Ultimately, it's not a ratings game, but rather are the advertisers happy.
If they are and get results, ratings are not that important.

For Instance, In the advertising world, WOAI is not a so-called "efficient" advertising medium when you break down "Cost Per Point" and other ratings metrics.

But WOAI is very successful because the listeners are loyal, and advertising works on the station quite well.

Evan
05-07-2008, 03:08 PM
ok gotcha. Thanks.

I have seen those diaries....you have to physically write in times. And from my understanding a radio host/staff can get into seriously hot water if they look at one filled out right?

I remember being at a station remote in Dallas for the ticket and someone opened one up for one of the afternoon hosts and he jumped back waving him off turning his head as if he was being served a plate of maggots.

In plane site
05-07-2008, 04:32 PM

Hey Peter if I have two radios on at the same time does it show up as two listeners?