PDA

View Full Version : Spurs looking old against upstart Hornets

spurscenter
05-06-2008, 01:50 PM
By Kevin Pedersen
PA SportsTicker Staff Writer

The defending champion San Antonio Spurs have looked a step slow after two games in the Big Easy.

The veteran group find themselves in rare territory heading back to San Antonio as they trail the New Orleans Hornets, 2-0, in the Western Conference semifinals.

Chris Paul was stellar once again, leading the Hornets with 30 points and 12 assists as New Orleans pulled away for a 102-84 victory in Game Two on Monday.

In both setbacks, the Spurs have held a lead at the half, only to have the Hornets blow them away in the third quarter. New Orleans outscored San Antonio, 36-18, in the third Monday.

“They came out and sustained their energy really well in the second half,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “In some ways it’s the difference of the game (making) you a winner or loser. In general, I thought this team got stronger in the second half and I thought we went the opposite way.”

San Antonio, which has won four of the past nine NBA titles, has not been in an 0-2 hole since 2001 when it was swept by the Los Angeles Lakers in the conference finals.

While the team will not panic as they get ready for Game Three on Thursday, the Spurs must find a way to contain the elusive Paul, who has already registered five double-doubles in the postseason.

The Hornets point guard is averaging 23.5 points and 12.5 assists through the first two games and has easily gotten into the lane to create for himself and for his teammates, carving up the normally stout San Antonio defense at will.

“After Game One, coach told me I was going to have to be more aggressive, so I just tried to pick my spots and get everybody involved and score - and that left me open,” Paul said.

“The best way to answer that is to say he’s an MVP candidate,” Popovich said. “MVP candidates have an impact on the game, big time. He’s a great player.”

David West scored 30 points in Game One and, after the Spurs tried to limit his production on Monday, Peja Stojakovic drilled five 3-pointers - some wide open - en route to 25 points in Game Two.

Phoenix, which chose to play a more half-court style game with its acquisition of Shaquille O’Neal in its first-round loss against San Antonio, did not expose the fact that the Spurs may be starting to get up there in age.

Only point guard Tony Parker is among the Spurs’ regular players under the age of 30, and he has never been known for his defensive prowess. The Spurs also have four starters that are at least 32 years old.

San Antonio, which has always taken pride in its defense, has forced just 15 turnovers from New Orleans and switched to a zone in the fourth quarter, seemingly searching for anything that would work.

Tim Duncan bounced back from a poor Game One with 18 points and eight rebounds in Game Two, but he knows that the Spurs must find a way to slow down the younger, hungrier Hornets.

“They shot the ball extremely well,” Duncan said. “They moved the ball extremely well. I think defense is our biggest problem right now. We’re going to have to find a way to get stops, and play off of that.

“That’s how our team always works try to get some stops and try to push it back out. And it seems every time we do get a stop, they’re on the offensive glass, they’re making plays, and we’re just going to have to find a way to counter that momentum.”

Teams have been trying to slow down Paul all season, and while New Orleans has not had much success in San Antonio, the Spurs are going to have to make the Hornets play at a slower pace and find a way to keep Paul out of the lane.

If any team is able to impose their will and make a team adjust to their style of play, it’s the Spurs, who have gone 37-7 at home so far this season, which includes the playoffs.

“It’s always a worry when you’re down two, no matter what it is,” Duncan said. “Obviously, the goal is to get four games and they’re a lot closer than we are. So, it’s about going home and trying to get this first one.”

However, if the Spurs can’t find a way to match the Hornets’ quickness - at least on the defensive end - New Orleans should continue to buzz right by them into the conference finals.