PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Manu Laments Spurs' Game 2 Letdowns

duncan228
05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.050708_SpursSider.en.d6afd32e.html

NBA: Manu laments Spurs' Game 2 letdowns
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

It was the high-water mark for the Spurs in Game 2 of their Western Conference semifinal series against the New Orleans Hornets, and no surprise, it had been fueled by Manu Ginobili.

Back-to-back makes baskets by the Spurs’ sixth man extraordinaire preceded his slick pass to Ime Udoka for a rare fast-break basket. Just one minute and 19 seconds into the second quarter, the 6-0 run in little more than a minute gave the Spurs a seven-point lead and a momentary reason to believe they had solved the riddle of New Orleans’ swarming defense.

Moments later, however, Ginobili committed his fourth turnover of the first half, a bad pass picked off by Jannero Pargo. That led to a Bonzi Wells dunk.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich sent Tony Parker to the scorer’s table to replace Ginobili, and the ultracompetitive guard walked slowly to the bench, muttering to himself. Those within earshot who were fluent in Spanish likely blushed.

Just past the midpoint of the period, Hornets rookie Julian Wright’s second 3-pointer of the game erased the final three points of the Spurs’ largest lead of the game.

Afterwards, Ginobili lamented the lost opportunity that the Hornets’ 9-2 run to the 31-31 represented. Though the Spurs got five points from Parker in the final 10 seconds of the first half to take a one-point lead to the locker room, it afforded no cushion to absorb another offensive surge by the Hornets in the third period.

“It was 29-22,” he said, “and then it was tied at 31 a minute later. So that was a big letdown.

“But again, the difference was in the third quarter. We can’t allow them to score 36 points. Way too many for a team like us. We’re not going to score 120 points in a game, so when a team scores like that in a quarter, it really hurts us.”

Ginobili, who knows how to play the AT&T Center crowd, is certain that Hornets point guard Chris Paul’s assertion that his team drew a large portion of its energy in Games 1 and 2 from the howling crowd at New Orleans Arena is no exaggeration.

Ginobili is much less certain why the Spurs seem to lose their focus during the third quarters that have doomed them to the 0-2 hole in which they now find themselves.

“I think (Monday) it was more that we got impatient,” he said. “We stopped moving the ball. We had some great shots in the first half from moving the ball. The third quarter, (we had) turnovers and some quick shots. They got away with a couple of transition points and fast breaks, and that really is huge for them. Then they all get excited and play better.

“We looked very frustrated at times, because for a moment we were having good looks and couldn’t make a shot.

“Then we saw the game slipping away, sort of the same way as Game 1 in that third quarter, and we changed the way we played. We were not as patient.

“We took too many shots after one pass, and that’s not who we are. They made us pay again.”

The Hornets won’t be getting an energizing boost from the crowd when Game 3 tips off at the AT&T Center, but the Spurs know it will take more than a few boos to alter the competitive dynamics of the series.

“We can’t think that just because we’re going home, suddenly we’re going to beat them,” Parker said. “We have to play better for 48 minutes. Right now, every time we do a good first half, in the second half, for whatever reason, we’re not playing well.”

bdictjames
05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Manu, talk the talk, walk the walk.

ducks
05-06-2008, 11:42 PM
manu has sucked this postseason compared to 2005

tp2021
05-06-2008, 11:43 PM
We can’t think that just because we’re going home, suddenly we’re going to beat them. We have to play better for 48 minutes.

I sure hope they Tony is not the only one who realizes this. It's very easy for us as fans to pencil in a win at home, but the guys have to make it happen.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Manu's Lament

itzsoweezee
05-06-2008, 11:57 PM
i wish manu was healthy.

milkyway21
05-07-2008, 02:46 AM
I wish Manu didn't take off those braces too early.

Those were his lucky charm :D

Princess Pimp
05-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Anyone smells a sweep?

roycrikside
05-07-2008, 03:59 AM

Manu was 7 of 14 in the first game and 4 of 10 in the second game. That's 24 shots in two games, and almost 50%. How many shots has your boy taken and how many has he made? It's pretty embarrassing that our shooting guard has more assists, in less minutes, than our point guard, no?

You have some nerve Ducks. Chris Paul is fucking kicking Tony's ass head to head in the point guard match up (it's not even as close as I'd hoped it'd be) and you're talking shit about Manu.

Tony has one 12 assist game in the playoffs and people go apeshit. Paul does it practically every game. It must be nice to have a real passing point guard. I guess we'll never know.

timvp
05-07-2008, 04:03 AM
Manu was 7 of 14 in the first game and 4 of 10 in the second game. That's 24 shots in two games, and almost 50%. How many shots has your boy taken and how many has he made? It's pretty embarrassing that our shooting guard has more assists, in less minutes, than our point guard, no?

You have some nerve Ducks. Chris Paul is fucking kicking Tony's ass head to head in the point guard match up (it's not even as close as I'd hoped it'd be) and you're talking shit about Manu.

Tony has one 12 assist game in the playoffs and people go apeshit. Paul does it practically every game. It must be nice to have a real passing point guard. I guess we'll never know.

http://www.jumperlumps.com/elements/1/images/products/THUMBNAIL/699/hook-line-sinker.gif

MaNuMaNiAc
05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
http://www.jumperlumps.com/elements/1/images/products/THUMBNAIL/699/hook-line-sinker.gif

and rod...

remingtonbo2001
05-07-2008, 06:06 AM

:lol

carina_gino20
05-07-2008, 06:28 AM

Relax. The only thing that is as good or probably better than 2005 Playoff Manu is 07-08 Regular season Manu before his injury. This year, Manu was good in the first round, but nowhere near 2005 Playoff Manu.

TheTruth62987
05-07-2008, 08:49 AM

When the lane becomes clogged like the Hornets have made it, it exposes Parker for what he really is; a shoot first pass second type of PG.

Lackluster
05-07-2008, 08:57 AM
When the lane becomes clogged like the Hornets have made it, it exposes Parker for what he really is; a shoot first pass second type of PG.

i don't think that needed any exposure. i always thought that that's the way he fits into pop's system.

i guess he drives the lane, sucks in the defense, and kicks it out from time to time, but i never really thought of that as being his primary use - more of a go to move when the shotblockers are on their game.

he's had flurries of big assist play, but he's really more of a one man fast break / badman finisher in the paint.

in a tight spot, the offense is quarterbacked through timmy. all this generally speaking of course, not getting into the specifics of this particular series.

GrandeDavid
05-07-2008, 08:58 AM

Who the hell wouldn't become a shoot first, pass second guard under similar circumstances if you've got the open shoot and have vastly improved your jumper over the past couple seasons? Especially when your teammates are struggling from the field.

Not a very bright comment.

True, the Spurs need to use the clock more on halfcourt possessions and swing the ball around, but if you've got an open shot and you are a paid professional, you've got to take the shot.

MoSpur
05-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Its true. Manu hasn't done as well as he has in the past in this series or in the Phoenix series. Now its only two games into this series, but it hasn't been pretty so far. I do hope Manu comes alive today.

DazedAndConfused
05-07-2008, 10:08 AM
The Spurs NEED to find their shot. The only way to open up those lanes for Parker is for guys to start hitting those 3 balls and midrange jumpers. Make the Hornets pay for packing it in.

MmP
05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I think Manu has had two issues in this playoffs.

a. Injuries
b. falling too much in love with the outside shot.

a. Groin and Ankle, of course these have taken most of Manu's confidence and vertical jump.

b. He's not attacking anymore, maybe it's because of the injuries but he needs to go to the basket more. Force the action. He's just limiting himself offensively to hitting the outside shots. If they're not falling he is no longer a threat.

hater
05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
The Spurs NEED to find their shot. The only way to open up those lanes for Parker is for guys to start hitting those 3 balls and midrange jumpers. Make the Hornets pay for packing it in.

wrong. they will not find their shot because they never had one.

wrong. the Hornets are not just packing it in, they are running and contesting every 3

Spurs need to find their defense

Manudona
05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Anyone smells a sweep?

No. The Spurs are teaching the Suns how the oldest strategy of the game really works :downspin:

roycrikside
05-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm not saying Manu's been great, or even good. He hasn't been. But Ducks needs to shut his trap about it, that's all because Tony's been worse.

polandprzem
05-07-2008, 01:22 PM
TP's weakness is lack of court vision and precise passing.

Exposed!

Brutalis
05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I expect the Spurs to hit shots and become confident. Parker needs to realize, he has to stay aggressive at all times. Finley hitting some shots and Manu limiting silly passes will have us right where we need to be.

DarrinS
05-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not saying Manu's been great, or even good. He hasn't been. But Ducks needs to shut his trap about it, that's all because Tony's been worse.

Let the girly slap fight between TP and Manu camps begin.