PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan/Ginobili Top 10 In MVP Voting; Parker's Tall Order; Duncan Not Sick?

duncan228
05-06-2008, 11:43 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.050708_SpursNotes.en.d6b2f901.html

NBA: Duncan, Ginobili among top 10 in MVP voting
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Led by Hornets point guard Chris Paul, the runner-up to Lakers guard Kobe Bryant in voting for the NBA’s 2007-08 Most Valuable Player award, three participants in the Spurs-Hornets Western Conference semifinal series finished in the top 10.

Former MVP Tim Duncan, the Spurs power forward who won the award in 2001 and 2002, finished seventh. Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, the only non-starter to receive any votes, finished 10th.

Paul, who had 30 points and 12 assists in Monday’s Game 2, finished second to Bryant, followed by Boston’s Kevin Garnett, Cleveland’s LeBron James and Orlando’s Dwight Howard.

The Spurs and Phoenix Suns were the only teams with more than one player receiving votes. Suns forward Amare Stoudemire finished sixth, and point guard Steve Nash was ninth.

A media panel of 124 voted for the award, ranking players one through five. First-place votes were worth 10 points, with remaining votes counting seven, five, three and one.

Duncan received two fourth-place votes and 19 fifth-place votes, for a total of 25. Ginobili, named winner of the league’s Sixth Man award, received nine fifth-place votes, for a total of nine. Bryant, who got 82 first-place votes to Paul’s 28, had 1,105 points. Paul had 894 points. Garnett and James were the only other players receiving first-place votes.

Tall order: Coming off a five-game first-round series against Phoenix in which he averaged 29.6 points, Spurs point guard Tony Parker has scored only 34 points in the first two games of the series against the Hornets.

He has had difficulty getting to the basket, and when he has gotten there, Hornets center Tyson Chandler, one of the league’s best shot blockers, has made things difficult for him.

Chandler has blocked three of Parker’s shots in the first two games and changed others. Parker has made 14 of 31 shots.

“He got me two times (in Game 2), and they were good blocks,” Parker said of Chandler. “The second one I thought was goaltending, but you can’t argue.

Parker said he will need to be more aware of passing when Chandler leaves whomever he is guarding to get in position to block one of Parker’s attempts.

“When they’re coming weak side maybe I have to pay more attention to it,” Parker said, “but I’m used to it, with (Nuggets center) Marcus Camby last year and Shaq and (Amare) Stoudemire in the first round. He just did two good plays.”

Fever pitch: TNT network reporter Craig Sager reported Monday that Duncan had been battling a high fever during his five-point, three-rebound performance in Game 1 against the Hornets. Both Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and Duncan downplayed the report without specifically denying its veracity.

“We’re fine,” Popovich said after Game 2 when questioned about the TNT report. “No injuries. No problems, besides the two losses.

Asked if the report were erroneous, Popovich said, “We’re fine. We’re healthy, and no excuses.”

bdictjames
05-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Manu = MVP candidate

Hopefully this gives them some sort of confidence boost.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Make it count Manu and Tim. you bastards! :lol

slayermin
05-07-2008, 12:50 AM
“We’re fine,” Popovich said after Game 2 when questioned about the TNT report. “No injuries. No problems, besides the two losses.

Asked if the report were erroneous, Popovich said, “We’re fine. We’re healthy, and no excuses.”

This is why I'm a Spurs fan. Be men and get it done.

Shaolin-Style
05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I feel bad sometimes when I throw out excuses when the Spurs lose, and then Pop makes me look like a whiny crybaby and mans up and accepts defeat gracefully and strives to push his team harder so they can win the ninja way.

Ice009
05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Wow. Sixth man of the year finishes 10th in the entire NBA in the MVP voting. I'd be curious to see where some of the other great 6th men in NBA history have finished in MVP voting. Not that it really means anything in the grand scheme of things, but it would be interesting to see.

I think this will really give Manu a confidence boost. It very well could wake him up and make him remember he is one of the best players on the planet. Enough of this mucking around, time to get back to kicking ass!

itzsoweezee
05-07-2008, 01:29 AM
chandler goes for the block every time. parker should try the wraparound pass to duncan next time tony takes it to the hole and chandler challenges him.

milkyway21
05-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Make it count Manu and Tim. you bastards! :lol:lmao:lmao

Hey, if the Hornets really want to suffocate Timmy then I don't mind if Manu being a little bit selfish with the ball. Or Tony.
Just get it done.

You cannot just let that 4-1 beating of the Suns turn to waste. You played hard for it. Get the 5th ring.
I promise I won't say a thing if you win only 25 games next season :lol

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2008, 06:34 AM
if tim keeps on gettin double on the low block, why doesnt he post up on the high post and drive in

hater
05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
its like DUncan panics now when he is double teamed and gives up the ball too fast. It's like he forgot how to handle a double team

polandprzem
05-07-2008, 08:54 AM
its like DUncan panics now when he is double teamed and gives up the ball too fast. It's like he forgot how to handle a double team

Sometimes he wants too many people top get involved. And sometimes they are not on good (better) position to make a basket.

Tim was sick. Him and Pop are liars :rolleyes

MoSpur
05-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I love the "no excuses" mentality the Spurs have. Nothing like the Suns and how we're the better team and that shot was luck or what not.

Lackluster
05-07-2008, 09:57 AM
I love the "no excuses" mentality the Spurs have. Nothing like the Suns and how we're the better team and that shot was luck or what not.

yup, it's those subtle differences in character that separate someone of pop's championship caliber from a d'antoni, and i actually think d'antoni is one of the best coaches in the league.

xtremesteven33
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Tim Duncan Fact:

Tim Duncan can sneeze with his eyes open