PDA

View Full Version : Greg Anthony: CP3 second best PG he has seen

stretch
05-07-2008, 10:36 AM
So Greg apparently was on ESPN radio yesterday and he says Chris Paul is the best PG he has ever seen aside from Magic.

Keep in mind that I am really starting to dislike Chris Paul, but here is my assesment... he may still be young, but in terms of his skill level and leadership abilities... if he keeps it up, I think he could very possibly go down as the greatest PG of all time. I feel that he is more skilled than Magic in pretty much every aspect. The only thing Magic has on him is the size factor, which gave him more versatility. But Paul is a better shooter, penetrator, scorer, and is at least equal (IMO he is more skilled in these areas as well) with passing and court vision. Neither are fantastic defenders, but Paul's issue with defense is his size, but he always plays hard, and at least finds ways to create plays by getting steals since he will never be physically capable of being a real shutdown defender or anything. But Magic was just a mediocre defender, period (as was most people in the 80's). He is a very high IQ player and his assist-turnover ratio is something unheard of. Chris Paul is also just as good at making his teammates better. I mean he makes teams actually have to account for a talentless offensive center like Tyson Chandler. He has made Peja actually seem clutch in the playoffs for the first time ever. He is getting David West all kinds of wide open mid-range shots which is what he thrives off of. The guy is a fucking baller.

Now there are some things that Magic can do that CP3 cannot (mainly because of the size factor) but there are a lot of things that CP3 can do, that Magic cannot do (because of the athletic factor), so IMO those both balance each other out. I don't think there is any doubt though, that CP3 is the most skilled PG the league has ever seen. If he stays healthy, he will go down as the greatest IMO.

He just needs to quit taking every foul so damn sensitively and personally. Instead, he needs to shut the fuck up with his little man complex, and just play the damn game. If he didn't act like such a bitch on the courts, I would love the guy, cuz he is one of the most fun players to watch that the league has ever seen.

Anyways... your thoughts?

xtremesteven33
05-07-2008, 10:56 AM
yea is said this awhile back even before this spurs series started that he would be mentioned in the same breath as magic johnson as the greatest PG of all time. so yea i agree with everything you said.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
It's really early. Chick Hearn once said similar of Kevin Johnson, then KJ had three surgeries in five seasons and never regained that elite status.

Paul is as talented a PG as I've ever seen. That includes Magic. Obviously Magic benefitted from being so tall and having several Hall-of-Fame runnings mates. Pound-for-pound, Paul is as good a PG, but he needs a 10-year or more prime like Magic had, not the 4-year prime that KJ had.

And the reason I bring KJ into this is he and Paul are almost identical as players. Paul is a bit quicker, KJ a bit bigger and stronger, but overall, the way each plays the game and the production of both the individual and team is very, very similar.

BushDynasty
05-07-2008, 11:18 AM
And I'm the greatest president of all time next to Lincoln!!

DBryant88
05-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Chris Paul, its way to early to tell lets wait until his career is over until we make any rash judgements

spurms
05-07-2008, 11:24 AM
So Greg apparently was on ESPN radio yesterday and he says Chris Paul is the best PG he has ever seen aside from Magic.

Keep in mind that I am really starting to dislike Chris Paul, but here is my assesment... he may still be young, but in terms of his skill level and leadership abilities... if he keeps it up, I think he could very possibly go down as the greatest PG of all time. I feel that he is more skilled than Magic in pretty much every aspect. The only thing Magic has on him is the size factor, which gave him more versatility. But Paul is a better shooter, penetrator, scorer, and is at least equal (IMO he is more skilled in these areas as well) with passing and court vision. Neither are fantastic defenders, but Paul's issue with defense is his size, but he always plays hard, and at least finds ways to create plays by getting steals since he will never be physically capable of being a real shutdown defender or anything. But Magic was just a mediocre defender, period (as was most people in the 80's). He is a very high IQ player and his assist-turnover ratio is something unheard of. Chris Paul is also just as good at making his teammates better. I mean he makes teams actually have to account for a talentless offensive center like Tyson Chandler. He has made Peja actually seem clutch in the playoffs for the first time ever. He is getting David West all kinds of wide open mid-range shots which is what he thrives off of. The guy is a fucking baller.

Now there are some things that Magic can do that CP3 cannot (mainly because of the size factor) but there are a lot of things that CP3 can do, that Magic cannot do (because of the athletic factor), so IMO those both balance each other out. I don't think there is any doubt though, that CP3 is the most skilled PG the league has ever seen. If he stays healthy, he will go down as the greatest IMO.

He just needs to quit taking every foul so damn sensitively and personally. Instead, he needs to shut the fuck up with his little man complex, and just play the damn game. If he didn't act like such a bitch on the courts, I would love the guy, cuz he is one of the most fun players to watch that the league has ever seen.

Anyways... your thoughts?

Paul is not a better shooter, penetrator? maybe depends on how you look at it, he penetrates more but magic can post up with pf and Cs, Magic has better court vision and can find open men without needing to penetrate and kick it out, he can defend with the best of them, and i doubt paul will be able to matchup with magic, not to mention magic is a much better rebounder and is a mismatch for anyteam at the Pg spot with his ball handling ability, sure chris paul could put up some points, but lets not forget he has a much better supporting cast.

Medvedenko
05-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Well CP3 is my favourite non-laker but I still put him behind Stockton with Magic on top.
That's my opinion.

ambchang
05-07-2008, 11:33 AM
It's really early. Chick Hearn once said similar of Kevin Johnson, then KJ had three surgeries in five seasons and never regained that elite status.

Paul is as talented a PG as I've ever seen. That includes Magic. Obviously Magic benefitted from being so tall and having several Hall-of-Fame runnings mates. Pound-for-pound, Paul is as good a PG, but he needs a 10-year or more prime like Magic had, not the 4-year prime that KJ had.

And the reason I bring KJ into this is he and Paul are almost identical as players. Paul is a bit quicker, KJ a bit bigger and stronger, but overall, the way each plays the game and the production of both the individual and team is very, very similar.

I agree with your assessment on KJ vs. Paul, very similar players. But KJ isn't as "pure" a PG as Paul or Magic, he is more of a scorer, sort of like an advanced Isiah Thomas.

But what you said reminds me of how conditioning has changed over the years. I think it was Eddie Johnson who once said that he couldn't convince KJ into stretching before and after games, with KJ making fun of EJ being old and need all that stuff. Now, with these million dollar athletes, there is no way a training would let you do that.

stretch
05-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Paul is not a better shooter, penetrator? maybe depends on how you look at it, he penetrates more but magic can post up with pf and Cs, Magic has better court vision and can find open men without needing to penetrate and kick it out, he can defend with the best of them, and i doubt paul will be able to matchup with magic, not to mention magic is a much better rebounder and is a mismatch for anyteam at the Pg spot with his ball handling ability, sure chris paul could put up some points, but lets not forget he has a much better supporting cast.

are you fucking retarded?

you really must not have read my post, otherwise you would not have said half the stupid shit you said in this post. especially the part about the better supporting cast.

stretch
05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
please tell me this guy did not just basically say that West, Chandler, etc... is a better supporting cast than guys like Worthy, Kareem, etc...

xtremesteven33
05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
1. magic johnson
2. john stockton
3. pete maravich
4. bob cousy
5. chris paul

spurms
05-07-2008, 11:39 AM
are you fucking retarded?

you really must not have read my post, otherwise you would not have said half the stupid shit you said in this post. especially the part about the better supporting cast.

i am meaning after kareem retired, he has a much better supporting cast, you are retarded, if you are going to compare them with magic in his prime years, then there is nothing to compare, magic averages almost a tripple double, and you are mentally retarded if you said paul is a better shooter, i didnt want to push it that far.

stretch
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
1. magic johnson
2. john stockton
3. pete maravich
4. bob cousy
5. chris paul

Pistol Pete was really more of a shooting guard.

and if he stays at this level, ill take Paul over stockton and cousy in a heartbeat.

lefty
05-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Greg Anthony is the 2nd dumbest analyst I have seen.

lefty
05-07-2008, 11:44 AM
1. magic johnson
2. john stockton
3. pete maravich
4. bob cousy
5. chris paul

Thanks for mentioning Isiah Thomas

spurms
05-07-2008, 11:45 AM

and if he stays at this level, ill take Paul over stockton and cousy in a heartbeat.

It's obvious that magic would be able to do as much damage if not more than what chris paul did to ur sorry ass mavs, and you can scrap cousy of ur list in a heartbeat but stockton will pretty much run circles and shoot over jason " i cant shoot to save my life" kid.

stretch
05-07-2008, 11:47 AM
i am meaning after kareem retired, he has a much better supporting cast, you are retarded, if you are going to compare them with magic in his prime years, then there is nothing to compare, magic averages almost a tripple double, and you are mentally retarded if you said paul is a better shooter, i didnt want to push it that far.

LMAO

obviously again, you didn't read my post when you brought out the size and rebounding factors. and no way in hell is Magic a better jumpshooter than Chris Paul. they might be about even with each other in the midrange game, but Paul is a much better 3 point shooter. another thing is that Paul hasn't even hit his prime, and he is already playing the PG position at a level that this league has not seen since Magic Johnson.

i really dont feel like debating with you though, as you have shown an utter incompetence and inability to read posts.

stretch
05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
It's obvious that magic would be able to do as much damage if not more than what chris paul did to ur sorry ass mavs, and you can scrap cousy of ur list in a heartbeat but stockton will pretty much run circles and shoot over jason " i cant shoot to save my life" kid.

lol, nice argument. bringing up things that were not a part of the discussion to begin with. you must be some 13 year old kid or something. its not possible for a grown man to be this stupid (unless you are SpursDynasty, our beloved drummer for the Josh Daniels Band)

spurms
05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
LMAO

obviously again, you didn't read my post when you brought out the size and rebounding factors. and no way in hell is Magic a better jumpshooter than Chris Paul. they might be about even with each other in the midrange game, but Paul is a much better 3 point shooter. another thing is that Paul hasn't even hit his prime, and he is already playing the PG position at a level that this league has not seen since Magic Johnson.

i really dont feel like debating with you though, as you have shown an utter incompetence and inability to read posts.

chris paul is not a competent 3pt shooter, his range is about similar to magic the only difference is that magic have better shot selections and could beat you in more ways than penetration, you can think what you want but you cant call paul a better shooter because he is not, magic has a better mid range game..

sribb43
05-07-2008, 11:53 AM

:nope

spurms
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
lol, nice argument. bringing up things that were not a part of the discussion to begin with. you must be some 13 year old kid or something. its not possible for a grown man to be this stupid (unless you are SpursDynasty, our beloved drummer for the Josh Daniels Band)

what's stupid about stating facts? At least i dont jump on someone else's bandwagon and start calling them what they are not lol.

stretch
05-07-2008, 11:55 AM
what's stupid about stating facts? At least i dont jump on someone else's bandwagon and start calling them what they are not lol.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

spurms
05-07-2008, 11:56 AM
America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

stretch
05-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Fail.

spurms
05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Fail.

Major fail

xtremesteven33
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM

pistol pete was a point guard , everyone knows that. he was a great passer even before magic become famous with the no look pass.

he was also a deadly scorer.

and by the way, these are not the greatest of all time in order but just my favorites

tlongII
05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
CP3 might go down as one of the best ever, but I don't think he'll hold up physically for the number of years that would require.

ElNono
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
We better start making him look like the Spurs's version of Beno Udrih soon, or we can kiss our season goodbye.
That said, I'm hoping that all these analysts preaching to the choir will fucking jinx the guy.

stretch
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
pistol pete was a point guard , everyone knows that. he was a great passer even before magic become famous with the no look pass.

he was also a deadly scorer.

and by the way, these are not the greatest of all time in order but just my favorites

I would classify him as more of a shooting guard that had fantastic passing skills. he still averaged only like 5-6 APG for his career. his numbers are a lot more comparable to SG's that are/were capable of running PG like Jordan, Kobe, and T-Mac, as opposed to true PGs like Stockton, Magic, and Nash.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I agree with your assessment on KJ vs. Paul, very similar players. But KJ isn't as "pure" a PG as Paul or Magic, he is more of a scorer, sort of like an advanced Isiah Thomas.

But what you said reminds me of how conditioning has changed over the years. I think it was Eddie Johnson who once said that he couldn't convince KJ into stretching before and after games, with KJ making fun of EJ being old and need all that stuff. Now, with these million dollar athletes, there is no way a training would let you do that.

He wasn't near the scorer Thomas was, but he was a much better mid-range shooter and better passer. His pre-surgery prime net averages of 20-10 routinely. His high scoring mark was 22.5 and his high assist mark was 12.2. His best statistical season was 89-90 when he had his highest scoring (22.5), second-highest assists (11.4), shot 50% from the field and had a 3.22/1 A/TO ratio.

I think Paul, if he stays healthy, will be, at worst, the #2 all-time point, but He needs health. KJ proves talent only matters so much.