PDA

View Full Version : Coming Back From 0-2 (0.4 Revisited)

The Truth #6
05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Coming back from 0-2 can be done by a veteran team. Many have pointed to the last time we were in an 0-2 hole was versus the Lakers and we got swept. I think it's worth noting that the Lakers were down to us 0-2 and then went home and won the next 4 games. A little luck with the 0.4 shot helped but they were very much a veteran team and they very much looked dead after the first two games when we ran all around them.

The difference is they figured out how to defend us by packing the paint, which NO smartly did to start out the series. I"m not sure what large, basic defensive adjustment we can make. Pack the 3 point line? Make sure their complimentary players don't get open shots? It won't be easy, but with a strong showing in Game 3, some luck in the next games we can be back in the series.

It won't be easy but it's happened to other teams. A shift in attitude by the players and a shift in strategy from the coaching staff could pull it out. Obviously Game 3 is the beginning or its the end.

Brutalis
05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Just try not to think about it too much.

They know what they have to do, and they will do it.

And when we win tomorrow night, suddenly everyone will be back on the train rooting for 2-2

xtremesteven33
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
yea i agree with you that the only team that can come back from a 0-2 hole would be a team that has been together for a long time and a team with lots of playoff experience. the spurs are thier hardest critics and i know theyll make a come back

PDXSpursFan
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Q: I"m not sure what large, basic defensive adjustment we can make"

A: "A shift in attitude by the players and a shift in strategy from the coaching staff could pull it out"

I think you answered your own question.

Lakers_55
05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I'll add to this thread. I hate all the smack talk going on, and do not resort to that crap as I am here to read about basketball and discuss it with you. I honestly don't care who wins this, I just want my team to be able to play the winner. That's another story. I did pick the Spurs to take this in 7, and I stand by a 2-2 split after 4. See, all NO did was protect their homecourt. now the burden is on SA to do the same.

Getting a 2-2 split now is totally doable, you have a team capable of it. There are countless examples of teams recovering to equal things. Look at Detroit vs. Miami in 2005. Miami had HC edge. Every home game was a win, until the finale, which Detroit captured. Spurs could do that too.

2004. Yeah, the Lakers came back. Essentially, we collapsed on Duncan and Parker. You got a lot of 3's against us in game 4 until we wore you down. The 0.4 game: As Shaq said, one lucky shot deserved another. However, really it didn't matter, now did it. Detroit would have beaten any team in the finals that year. Their late season acquisition of Rasheed Wallace was the difference. There was one irony to 2003. Horry missed a 3 at the end of game 5 that would have put up 3-2. Or would it have? I don't buy that. there was still time on the clock and SA may still have won. Also, there was no certainty we would have won the series either. I don't buy shouldas and couldas and ifs. I go by what happens.

I know the true Spurs fans are aware that although the heat is on now, that's basketball. If you comeback, you lose a shitload of trolls and then get to meet a bunch more. Hopefully they are Laker trolls, lol. Don't be surprised if I argue with some of those bastards, I have done it with my "brethren" here before.

See you in a couple of weeks with an LA vs SA western final? :)

1Parker1
05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I'll add to this thread. I hate all the smack talk going on, and do not resort to that crap as I am here to read about basketball and discuss it with you. I honestly don't care who wins this, I just want my team to be able to play the winner. That's another story. I did pick the Spurs to take this in 7, and I stand by a 2-2 split after 4. See, all NO did was protect their homecourt. now the burden is on SA to do the same.

Getting a 2-2 split now is totally doable, you have a team capable of it. There are countless examples of teams recovering to equal things. Look at Detroit vs. Miami in 2005. Miami had HC edge. Every home game was a win, until the finale, which Detroit captured. Spurs could do that too.

2004. Yeah, the Lakers came back. Essentially, we collapsed on Duncan and Parker. You got a lot of 3's against us in game 4 until we wore you down. The 0.4 game: As Shaq said, one lucky shot deserved another. However, really it didn't matter, now did it. Detroit would have beaten any team in the finals that year. Their late season acquisition of Rasheed Wallace was the difference. There was one irony to 2003. Horry missed a 3 at the end of game 5 that would have put up 3-2. Or would it have? I don't buy that. there was still time on the clock and SA may still have won. Also, there was no certainty we would have won the series either. I don't buy shouldas and couldas and ifs. I go by what happens.

I know the true Spurs fans are aware that although the heat is on now, that's basketball. If you comeback, you lose a shitload of trolls and then get to meet a bunch more. Hopefully they are Laker trolls, lol. Don't be surprised if I argue with some of those bastards, I have done it with my "brethren" here before.

See you in a couple of weeks with an LA vs SA western final? :)

:lol :tu Nice post. Nice to see a classy Laker fan.

I think the bigger issue with many Spurs fans is that they were spoiled by how relatively easy last year's postseason was for the Spurs. Aside from a game or two hiccup in the semi's against the Suns, Spurs won relatively easily in all the other rounds; 4 straight against the no-defense Nuggets, easy/blowout wins for the most part against the Jazz in the Conference Finals, and a sweep in the Finals where it wasn't really in doubt that the Spurs would come out on top after the first game.

This postseason, already the Fans (and the Spurs) had to deal with a lot of drama and close games in the first round. That has to take a toll on the team and fans. I'm not sure how much the Spurs have left in the tank after such a mentally and physically draining like the Suns series, event hough it was only over in 5.

I will say this, I was horribly unimpressed with the effort the Spurs as a whole showed in Games 1 and 2. In the playoffs, with their experience level, they played like it was a regular season game in the 2nd half. And I am very, very, very tired of Michael Finley's absolute inconsistency and lack of anything resembling defense on the other end. He has 1 good game every 6 or 7 games and that's not enough for a one dimensional starter on a championship level team.