PDA

View Full Version : Hornets look to steal game in San Antonio

Spurs Brazil
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ag5JdiFQdmlI.R.rLo4yB6GM0bYF?slug=ap-hornets-spurs&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hornets look to steal game in San Antonio
By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer
5 minutes ago

AP - May 5, 10:25 pm EDT 1 of 17 NBA Gallery SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Chris Paul turned 23 on Tuesday. The New Orleans Hornets’ talented point guard said he had a low-key birthday, just hanging out with his teammates.

The big surprise party might happen Thursday night, courtesy of Paul and his team if they can beat the defending champion San Antonio Spurs yet again by picking up a Game 3 win to take a 3-0 lead in the Western Conference semifinals.

“They say you’re supposed to win all your home games. The series doesn’t start until the home team loses,” Paul said Wednesday. “We understand their backs are against the wall right now but we’ve got to go in there and understand we really need to steal a game.”

The Hornets are poised to do so. They won in dominant fashion in Games 1 and 2 as the Spurs turned over the ball, missed open shots and looked slow next to the energetic Hornets.

Paul said the Hornets, playing with seemingly unwavering confidence as they’ve compiled a 6-1 playoffs record so far, are close-knit off the court, something that helps them when the chips are down on it.

“I think that makes a difference when we’re on the court in that we really try to play hard for each other and we don’t want to see the season end,” Paul said.

Neither do the Spurs, who said they’ve got to do one thing in Game 3: play better.

Whether it’s taking care of the ball (they had 28 turnovers in the first two games) or hitting outside shots when Tim Duncan’s being doubled, the Spurs said they need to improve the little things in Game 3.

“It sounds, like, easy, but we just have to play better,” Tony Parker said. “They just outplayed us the first two games and now we’re playing at home and we have to make more shots and play better defense. … We’re going to change stuff but at the end of the day it’s just basketball.”

Parker and Manu Ginobili said they expect the Spurs to be more physical in Game 3. The two will try to be more aggressive in getting to the rim, something that’s been a challenge so far as the Hornets have crowded the lane to force perimeter shooting.

“We’re going to have to realize that it’s the only way, if we’re going to have a shot, that without being physical it’s not going to happen,” Ginobili said, adding that his sore left ankle continues to improve.

And if they can’t drive the lane, Parker said they’ll just have to trust other shooters.

“Every year we won the championship, we got a lot of guys making shots,” he said.

Parker said he’s taking a positive perspective and looking at being down 0-2 as a “great challenge.” Now, he said, it’s the Spurs’ turn to show they want to win it all.

The Hornets have.

New Orleans coach Byron Scott called his young team “hungry” and said they’ve thrived in their underdog role this season.

“We’re not only playing the champions, we’re playing for respect, because we felt all season long like we really haven’t gotten it,” he said.

This matchup between the dynastic Spurs and the emerging Hornets has indeed been billed as one of experience versus youth.

So far, Ginobili said, the experience part hasn’t worked so well for San Antonio.

“Even with the kind of experience that we all say we have, they played smarter,” he said. “They can play faster or sometimes stronger, but at least we should play smart. So we are not basically doing anything right so we’ve really got to realize that we’ve got to improve.”

AP Sports Writer Brett Martel in New Orleans contributed to this report.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2008, 07:00 PM
A blowout win would be sweet for the Spurs tomorrow but i think it is going to be close. Just win Spurs anyway you have to do it we need the W something awful.

alon504
05-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, here's what we want in New Orleans---we want one game in SA. It doesn't matter if it is Game 3 or Game 4. But, if the situation was reversed, I'm sure SA would probably want the exact same thing.

cjjr72984
05-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I honestly think the Hornets want two games in SA. This team is so good I'm sure Byron Scott is telling them "We need to go into the next two games trying to sweep these guys."

Obstructed_View
05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I honestly think the Hornets want two games in SA. This team is so good I'm sure Byron Scott is telling them "We need to go into the next two games trying to sweep these guys."

Saying the word sweep would be almost as stupid as saying they were satisfied with winning two at home IMO. Scott's surely keeping the focus on this game and this game only.

timvp
05-07-2008, 08:30 PM
“It sounds, like, easy, but we just have to play better,” Tony Parker said. “They just outplayed us the first two games and now we’re playing at home and we have to make more shots and play better defense. … We’re going to change stuff but at the end of the day it’s just basketball.”

http://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gifhttp://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gifhttp://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gif

Hopefully these are the five "stuffs" that will be changed:

1. Start Manu.
2. Put Parker on CP3.
3. Put Bowen on Peja.
4. Never put Manu on Peja.
5. Never put Manu on Peja.

SPARKY
05-07-2008, 08:33 PM

No, they want one. Fucking idiot.

SPARKY
05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gifhttp://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gifhttp://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gif

Hopefully these are the five "stuffs" that will be changed:

1. Start Manu.
2. Put Parker on CP3.
3. Put Bowen on Peja.
4. Never put Manu on Peja.
5. Never put Manu on Peja.

Definitely a good sign.

timvp
05-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I honestly think the Hornets want two games in SA. This team is so good I'm sure Byron Scott is telling them "We need to go into the next two games trying to sweep these guys."I want to officially apologize to the Mav and Sun fanbases. The Hornets fans who have come onto the board are by far the least knowledgeable group of basketball fans I have ever seen.

I guess we can't really blame them though because 90% of theses so-called lifelong Hornets fans have been fans for about two and a half weeks.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2008, 08:39 PM
If only Byron would listen to the fanbase.

It would be like Pop going to the Spurs and saying, "Hey guys. We just got our asses handed to us two games in a row. Let's go out there and win four out of five."

alon504
05-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I want to officially apologize to the Mav and Sun fanbases. The Hornets fans who have come onto the board are by far the least knowledgeable group of basketball fans I have ever seen.

I guess we can't really blame them though because 90% of theses so-called lifelong Hornets fans have been fans for about two and a half weeks.

Maybe some....I became a fan two months before they arrived in New Orleans from Charlotte. And strangely enough, I followed the Hornets for a few years "here and there," while they were in Charlotte. I've also followed the Spurs pretty closely over the years.

ClingingMars
05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Maybe some....I became a fan two months before they arrived in New Orleans from Charlotte. And strangely enough, I followed the Hornets for a few years "here and there," while they were in Charlotte. I've also followed the Spurs pretty closely over the years.

every frontrunner fanbase has their exceptions.

- Mars

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Ginobili said, adding that his sore left ankle continues to improve.

Good sign?? I hope it's an understatement?

And if they can’t drive the lane, Parker said they’ll just have to trust other shooters.

“Every year we won the championship, we got a lot of guys making shots,” he said.
Good sign. We're gonna get our shots to fall percentage wise. Three more threes going down in the midst of the game, could be a big enough difference.

New Orleans coach Byron Scott called his young team “hungry” and said they’ve thrived in their underdog role this season.

“We’re not only playing the champions, we’re playing for respect, because we felt all season long like we really haven’t gotten it,” he said.

OH CRY ME A FUCKING RIVER :lmao
That's the difference between the Spurs team and NO. Spurs fans bitch about not getting media spotlight, but the Spurs org couldn't give a shit.
NO more and more seem like a bunch of desperately fragile egos. Fuck 'em.

Princess Pimp
05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Hornets in 4

GrandeDavid
05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd hope the Hornets would try to "steal" one or win both in San Antonio, otherwise they'd be quitters. That's an obvious take.

Budkin
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
They've stolen enough from us. It's time we gank the shit out of them.

1Parker1
05-07-2008, 10:09 PM
This "respect" card that Byron and the f-ing Hornets keep playing is starting to get really old.

News Flash, you had TWO ALL STARS on the team this year

You had the runner up in MVP voting on your team

You have the 2nd best record in a tough Western Conference

Until you win some actual championships (and the 3 your coach flaunts at you that he's won as a player don't count), you're not going to get any respect; See Mavericks, Dallas or Suns, Pheonix or about 15 other NBA teams in the league....:rolleyes

21_Blessings
05-07-2008, 10:12 PM

The Hornets are not good enough to sweep the Spurs sorry.

If Hornets don't close this series out in 5 or 6 games they are fucked.

Brutalis
05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
We have to go 4-1 now. We just did that against the Suns. So let's do it again.

sting
05-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Good sign?? I hope it's an understatement?

Good sign. We're gonna get our shots to fall percentage wise. Three more threes going down in the midst of the game, could be a big enough difference.

OH CRY ME A FUCKING RIVER :lmao
That's the difference between the Spurs team and NO. Spurs fans bitch about not getting media spotlight, but the Spurs org couldn't give a shit.
NO more and more seem like a bunch of desperately fragile egos. Fuck 'em.

More like the Hornet's fucking ya'll.:lol

Princess Pimp
05-08-2008, 01:39 AM
More like the Hornet's fucking ya'll.:lol Yep!

loquats
05-08-2008, 02:52 AM
I want to officially apologize to the Mav and Sun fanbases. The Hornets fans who have come onto the board are by far the least knowledgeable group of basketball fans I have ever seen.

I think you should keep your dumbass assumptions to yourself. Even without an NBA team in NO, there are still more "ballers" here than SA could ever dream of. Not just a bunch of overweight, couch/internet point guards that have never seen a real basketball in their entire lives.

I'm from NO and started playing basketball in youth leagues at the age of 7. How about you dumbass? Have you ever had to actually play a zone instead of complain about one on tv?

And yes, been a Hornets fan since their playoff run in '02 in CHARLOTTE.

Dumbass. :king:toast

timvp
05-08-2008, 03:03 AM
I think you should keep your dumbass assumptions to yourself. Even without an NBA team in NO, there are still more "ballers" here than SA could ever dream of. Not just a bunch of overweight, couch/internet point guards that have never seen a real basketball in their entire lives.

I'm from NO and started playing basketball in youth leagues at the age of 7. How about you dumbass? Have you ever had to actually play a zone instead of complain about one on tv?

Dumbass. :king:toastROFL. At least Hornet Fan is entertaining in a ducks sort of way.

Princess Pimp
05-08-2008, 03:06 AM
ROFL. At least Hornet Fan is entertaining in a ducks sort of way. Actually this Hornet fan is owning you arrogant fuck!

timvp
05-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Actually this Hornet fan is owning you arrogant fuck!Was that an insult?

How bout dem Rockets?

rayray2k8
05-08-2008, 04:09 AM
Yeah I kinda agree with the hornet fans being the most annoying as of now.
Nothing but attention whores :lol
Oh well, nothing will be settled till tip-off later today.
GO MANU!!

BTW TIMVP, how's the fro? :P

Obstructed_View
05-08-2008, 05:01 AM

Dumbass. :king:toast

Wow, so that's like six years of basketball, huh?

Nice to see how knowledgable you are about basketball since you consider one series win a "playoff run". :lmao

loquats
05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow, so that's like six years of basketball, huh?

Nice to see how knowledgable you are about basketball since you consider one series win a "playoff run". :lmao

So Spurs fans make stupid assumptions and aslo can't read an entire post and comprehend it?

Classic!

Budkin
05-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry but anyone from New Orleans who said they were a Hornets fan before there was a chance of them moving to NO is just flat out lying. Bullshit you rooted for Charlotte.