PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Kobe

1Parker1
05-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Congrats to Kobe on his MVP. I still think it should have gone to CP3 if so called "voters" want to follow the logic that has seen the award go to Steve Nash back to back. But that's just my thinking.

Kobe may be the only player in the league who could come out before the regular season starts, throw his team under the bus, demand a trade, and then proceed to scare mgt shitless that they go out and pull of an unbelievable trade, win the toughest WCF, and look like the frontrunner to win it all....when just last season they barely won 1 game in the first round.

Drama really happens in LA. As the World Turns....

lefty
05-07-2008, 10:27 PM
" mm....thanks... now give me the fucking ball ! "

http://www.nbaobsessed.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/kobe-thinking.jpg

Lakers_55
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, life in Lakerland is crazy. Everything that has turned around for us was totally unexpected. We were expected to just make the playoffs, or miss out. If we qualified, we were considered first round dog food. So, here we are with a shot to win it all. Doesn't matter to me if we fail, this year is gravy. The future looks pretty good now as well. We can't win every year, who can? At least we know how to rebuild and come back. I see this quality in very few teams. I have noticed over the years the Spurs are one that can rebuild as well.

I am happy for Kobe and our team. Personally, I didn't care whether he got the MVP or not. I figured if he didn't he would get pissed off and take everything out in the playoffs. An example of this is when Bird won Rookie of the year back in 1980. Magic Johnson showed the NBA in the playoffs who the real rookie of the year was....

I know the Lakers are probably the most hated team in the NBA. I have followed them over 40 years, and have really enjoyed the ride. I know the Laker trolls that haunt message boards everywhere leave a bad impression of us wherever they settle. I love this forum as I am looking for a good basketball read and some good chat. Gets kind of hard sorting through the threads to find decent stuff, but eventually, I do.

Hope to have plenty more fun here, thanks for all your contributions.

pauls931
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
It's a hard call for me. I don't know NO well enough to see what would happen if you pulled CP3 vs the Lakers not having Kobe. Having said that, I think Kobe is definitely a good choice.

1Parker1
05-07-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm not saying Kobe isn't a good choice, I just really dislike the justifications I am hearing from the media that voted for this award.

1) He's the best player in the league; I think this is arguable. I think Lebron James is just as good, I think CP3 is just as good, I think Tim Duncan is just as good. Different positions and different players do different things to help their teams win. Just because Duncan doesn't have an outside shot or paces himself in the regular season, he's not as good as Kobe?

2) He makes his teammates better; This one pisses me off to no avail. Kobe is obviously trusting his teammates more and passing them the ball more and that definitely helps him "make his teammates better." It's also a lot easier to make them better once you get a guy like Fischer, Gasol, etc on your team. Look at all the years guys like KG and Ray Allen played for crappy teams. Heck, look at the supporting cast Lebron James has around him; Delonte West, Wally S, Ben Wallace??? I mean, you think if Kobe had that team around him, he'd so willingly pass them the ball?

3) This is a lifetime achievement award; People who are using this justification for the vote also is annoying. This is a yearly award, not a past 5 years consolation award.

I don't mind Kobe getting it; Lakers did manage to grab the #1 seed in the toughest western conference and the Lakers are looking like the frontrunners to win it all right now, and there Kobe is the only player in the league who can drop 81 points on you on a given night. I get that. But if you're giving the MVP back to back to Steve Nash the past two years, then by that logic, the award should have gone to CP3.

lefty
05-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm not saying Kobe isn't a good choice, I just really dislike the justifications I am hearing from the media that voted for this award.

1) He's the best player in the league; I think this is arguable. I think Lebron James is just as good, I think CP3 is just as good, I think Tim Duncan is just as good. Different positions and different players do different things to help their teams win. Just because Duncan doesn't have an outside shot or paces himself in the regular season, he's not as good as Kobe?

2) He makes his teammates better; This one pisses me off to no avail. Kobe is obviously trusting his teammates more and passing them the ball more and that definitely helps him "make his teammates better." It's also a lot easier to make them better once you get a guy like Fischer, Gasol, etc on your team. Look at all the years guys like KG and Ray Allen played for crappy teams. Heck, look at the supporting cast Lebron James has around him; Delonte West, Wally S, Ben Wallace??? I mean, you think if Kobe had that team around him, he'd so willingly pass them the ball?

3) This is a lifetime achievement award; People who are using this justification for the vote also is annoying. This is a yearly award, not a past 5 years consolation award.

I don't mind Kobe getting it; Lakers did manage to grab the #1 seed in the toughest western conference and the Lakers are looking like the frontrunners to win it all right now, and there Kobe is the only player in the league who can drop 81 points on you on a given night. I get that. But if you're giving the MVP back to back to Steve Nash the past two years, then by that logic, the award should have gone to CP3.

Man, how many times did I hear that ?

Annoying every single time... :bang

Great post by the way :tu

pauls931
05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Another part that makes it hard for me to gauge is the gasol trade. I think Gasol is what propelled the lakers to the #1 seed and without him they would not have achieved that. I know CP3 on occasion has been putting up numbers that you'd only be seeing magic or oscar robinson put up so he would have been a good choice too.

E20
05-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Kobe does make them better, he relieves some pressure off them, making it easier for them to play the game.

Lakers_55
05-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Another part that makes it hard for me to gauge is the gasol trade. I think Gasol is what propelled the lakers to the #1 seed and without him they would not have achieved that.

For what it's worth, before the Gasol trade, we had a 7-7 record against the top 6 teams in the west (Nuggets excluded). After the trade, we were 7-2. The two losses were against The Hornets when Gasol went down with his injury, and the Rockets 2 days later.

We won against
Dallas 3 times 2 H, 1 R ( no Gasol)
Hornets 1 H
Jazz 1 R (no Gasol)
Spurs 1 H
Suns 1 R

With no Bynum and no Gasol, yeah, we might have been the 7 or 8 seed. Or maybe we go under and the Warriors sneak in. However, if Bynum stayed healthy, maybe we don't trade for Gasol. Or maybe we do, Memphis had him on the market. Phoenix was looking at a deal before we made ours.

Shit, let's just play with who we have now, lol.

poo-doe wayne-o
05-07-2008, 11:22 PM
that dude deserves it.

cp3 will get his some day too.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2008, 11:28 PM
1P1 is schizo when it comes to Kobe. If he's losing, she defends him; if he's winning, she blasts him. :lol

Str8Ballin
05-07-2008, 11:29 PM
I think Shaq said it best when he said, "Kobe. Don't be rapin."

tlongII
05-07-2008, 11:57 PM
I got no problem with the choice. Kobe, CP3, KG, and LeBron were all deserving.

LakerMagic
05-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, life in Lakerland is crazy. Everything that has turned around for us was totally unexpected. We were expected to just make the playoffs, or miss out. If we qualified, we were considered first round dog food. So, here we are with a shot to win it all. Doesn't matter to me if we fail, this year is gravy. The future looks pretty good now as well. We can't win every year, who can? At least we know how to rebuild and come back. I see this quality in very few teams. I have noticed over the years the Spurs are one that can rebuild as well.

I am happy for Kobe and our team. Personally, I didn't care whether he got the MVP or not. I figured if he didn't he would get pissed off and take everything out in the playoffs. An example of this is when Bird won Rookie of the year back in 1980. Magic Johnson showed the NBA in the playoffs who the real rookie of the year was....

I know the Lakers are probably the most hated team in the NBA. I have followed them over 40 years, and have really enjoyed the ride. I know the Laker trolls that haunt message boards everywhere leave a bad impression of us wherever they settle. I love this forum as I am looking for a good basketball read and some good chat. Gets kind of hard sorting through the threads to find decent stuff, but eventually, I do.

Hope to have plenty more fun here, thanks for all your contributions.

+1

Congrats Kobe, now bring home a championship.

BonnerDynasty
05-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Trash.

DazedAndConfused
05-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Kobe and CP3 are both equally deserving. CP3 will get his in time.

TheMACHINE
05-08-2008, 12:34 AM

For someone who believes that Kobe is a good choice, i find it ironic you have a whole list, (pretty much wrote an essay) about why he shouldnt. LOL.

21_Blessings
05-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Or maybe we go under and the Warriors sneak in.

No.

However, if Bynum stayed healthy, maybe we don't trade for Gasol.

You're a fucking retard if you believe that.

Or maybe we do, Memphis had him on the market.

Jerry West. :hat

Nahtanoj
05-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Pointless thread. The man received it, end of story.

hater
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
LOL at only 2 posters congratulating Kobe

stretch
05-08-2008, 09:21 AM
I got no problem with the choice. Kobe, CP3, KG, and LeBron were all deserving.

KG absolutely was not deserving.

JamStone
05-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I will say this about people's criticisms as a bad teammate until this year. Most of Kobe's teammates seem to genuinely like him. And, I think all of them at the very least respect him, despite what happened this summer with all the trade talk and Bynum bashing. I even think Bynum respects him and just views him as someone who just wants the best chance to win. But, guys like Turiaf and Fisher and Walton and Sasha seem to really like Kobe as a player. And, you can tell that Odom at the very least respects Kobe and his approach to the game. I think almost all of Kobe's current teammates have become better players because of watching how Kobe approaches the game and how badly he wants to win. Maybe it didn't show initially the first couple seasons without Shaq. But, I think Kobe's work ethic and the fact he was so hard on some of the younger players actually pushed them to be better, especially guys like Bynum, Farmar, and Vujacic.

tlongII
05-08-2008, 11:09 AM
KG absolutely was not deserving.

How do you figure? The Celtics won 66 games and to a man they all say KG was the biggest reason.

Medvedenko
05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Congrats Kobe. Hopefully it shut up haters for at least 1 day....now you all can continue to bash away.

adidas11
05-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm not a Kobe fan by any stretch of the imagination, but he does deserve the MVP award this season. Kudos to him.

That being said, I think the 'best' player in the league is Lebron James.

1Parker1
05-08-2008, 04:08 PM
1P1 is schizo when it comes to Kobe. If he's losing, she defends him; if he's winning, she blasts him. :lol

:lol I call it like I see it. I don't think he deserves some of the complaints he gets for certain games, but this logic of him winning the MVP doesn't make sense to me. And what he did this past offseason, with all the drama of going on ESPN, etc and demanding to be traded turned me off him completely.

Purple & Gold
05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Kobe or CP3 would have been deserving. Chris Paul lost it when he lost the #1 seed. It'll end up being more costly than he thought.

LakeShow
05-08-2008, 05:20 PM

:lmao

I noticed that too! It must be one of those, LOVE/HATE relationships. :lol

Purple & Gold
05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah i thought 1Parker1 was vying for Kobe's publicist job.

1Parker1
05-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah i thought 1Parker1 was vying for Kobe's publicist job.

Whatever, now you guys are just exaggerating. I have not praised Kobe Bryant this season. As I said, after the mess he created this summer, I lost what little respect I had for his game. :lol Plus, I hate the fact that the Lakers are good again :pctoss

Pistons < Spurs
05-08-2008, 08:50 PM
1) He's the best player in the league; I think this is arguable. I think Lebron James is just as good,

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Lakers_55
05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
wrong post quoted, lol

Lakers_55
05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
No.

You're a fucking retard if you believe that.

Jerry West. :hat

Hey you stupid Laker fan. Shut your mouth. I know more about the Lakers than you ever will, been a fan since 1967. I show respect here and the Spurs fans here and I get along just fine. It's worthless trolls like you that give our team a bad name on message boards. Don't make me own your ass, I am quite adept at it.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2008, 01:13 AM
:lmao

I noticed that too! It must be one of those, LOVE/HATE relationships. :lol

It's almost certainly some kind of Philly thing.

SpursFan24445
05-09-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't really see Kobe as the MVP. He only got it because he hasn't won one before and his team won the top seed in the west. If they didn't add Gasol they were boarderline out of the playoffs.

Kobe Doesn't Deserve MVP (http://thesportsomniac.blogspot.com/2008/05/kobe-wins-mvp.html)

DBryant88
05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't really see Kobe as the MVP. He only got it because he hasn't won one before and his team won the top seed in the west. If they didn't add Gasol they were boarderline out of the playoffs.

Kobe Doesn't Deserve MVP (http://thesportsomniac.blogspot.com/2008/05/kobe-wins-mvp.html)

you are dumb. Kobe played at the top of his game all year and and he finally learned to share the ball. you obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about:rolleyes

Nahtanoj
05-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to making yourself look dumb.