PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Barry wants to make impact

timvp
05-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Barry wants to make impact
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich insisted there was no subliminal message in the all-bench lineup that opened the fourth quarter of his team’s 102-84 loss to the Hornets in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals.

“It’s not about sending messages,” Popovich said. “You’re trying to win.”

Maybe not, but during the fourth-quarter court time Monday, Brent Barry presented a point of his own. In a series in which the Hornets have chosen to make the Spurs beat them with perimeter shots, perhaps there is a role for a player who has made 61.5 percent of his 3-pointers in the first seven playoff games.

Barry, the 13-year veteran guard who made 44.5 percent of his regular-season 3-pointers, made 4 of 5 from long range in the fourth period. That helped the Spurs trim the Hornets’ 17-point lead to nine, with enough time to complete a comeback, if only their defense had been less porous.

Popovich has fretted about Barry’s lingering difficulty moving freely on a sore left leg, which sidelined him for nearly two months when he tore a calf muscle. If what Popovich saw in Game 2 gave him reason for optimism about Barry’s physical condition, he wasn’t tipping his hand. Barry’s playing time, he said, will continue to be situational.

“It just depends on how the game is going,” Popovich said. “We don’t have anything set that he’s going to play this many minutes. It’s just how the game is going and what we think would be best.”

“I think he’s pretty healthy. He’s not going to be 100 percent during these playoffs, but he feels pretty good about his leg. I think he’s got confidence that he’s not going to hurt it again.”

In fact, Barry said his calf is feeling much better now than it did at any time during the first round. He is eager for a chance to make an impact in something other than a relatively hopeless situation like the fourth quarter of Monday’s game, especially if the Hornets continue to double-team Tim Duncan and pack the lane.

“I’m just over there waiting,” Barry said. “All the guys on the bench are ready to contribute, whatever that is. If there’s an opportunity, you have to try to take advantage of that.”

Fellow reserve Manu Ginobili was an interested observer when Barry went on his long-distance tear on Monday.

“Well, so far, he is the only one making shots,” Ginobili said. “So for sure that is an option Pop is considering. I think we are all good and proven shooters. We are just not making them. If we keep finding the right guy in good position — we’ve been doing it in the first halves — we will be in better shape. We’ve been winning first halves, then we just stop.”

Used sparingly in the first seven playoff games — just 93 minutes — Barry has been putting in extra time on his shooting stroke in practice sessions. Ranked eighth among active players in career 3-point percentage (42.1), he has made eight of 13 3-point attempts in the seven postseason games this season.

Barry started the fourth quarter of Game 2 with Jacque Vaughn, Ime Udoka, Robert Horry and Fabricio Oberto.

“I’ve been taking extra shots and just trying to stay ready,” Barry said. “Guys on the bench are ready to go. When called on, we try to give our team a lift.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.050808_BarrySpursSider.en.dbcfff9e.html

timvp
05-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Barry needs to play 20-25 minutes against the Hornets. New Orleans is forcing the Spurs to beat them from three-point land. Barry has been the hottest shooter in the playoffs.

If Pop doesn't want to start him, then at least 20 minutes ... hopefully more.

tmtcsc
05-08-2008, 02:10 AM
He needs Finley's minutes.

MannyIsGod
05-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Finley needs to play too. Its not an either or situation. I have faith in FInley's jumper and I'll probably always have faith in it. Don't sell him out after one or 2 bad games. I know his defense is meh, but his jumper is there.

polandprzem
05-08-2008, 02:33 AM
“Well, so far, he is the only one making shots,” Ginobili said. “So for sure that is an option Pop is considering. I think we are all good and proven shooters. We are just not making them. If we keep finding the right guy in good position — we’ve been doing it in the first halves — we will be in better shape. We’ve been winning first halves, then we just stop.”

Gino 2 of 15 in the 1st Q

New Orleans is forcing the Spurs to beat them from three-point land
Mavs series duuuuh

Pop have been ridiculussly outcoached.
Spurs don't know where they are.

Thay have stretches this season. Right now they are in the slump. The worse thing is that Finley is off for 5 games or so.

The sequence when he was open on 3point land and faild to make the shot tells eveything.
barry must to take Finleys role right now. I wonder if Pop will try to keep the confidence aspect in Finley and leave him in the S5.
hmm

Brutalis
05-08-2008, 02:36 AM
There would be nothing sweeter than Barry lighting it up deep in game three.

We do need to step up and hit shots, and at this point who's to say Barry can't catch fire quicker than Finley? Their defense both lacks regardless.

milkyway21
05-08-2008, 03:32 AM
WC Semi-finals Game 6
Spurs vs Sonics(standing 3-2 Spurs)

3Q Duncan 1-11 FG
but made 9-10 FTs
Defenders : Jerome J, Collison, & Fortson

note:
Duncan limping, but forced Pop to play him otherwise...

Tight game. TP & Manu struggling. Beno can't find the rim.

then, suddenly Barry started a run with his outside shot in the 4th. 3ptr...then Bowen...

Sonics up by 1. 14.4 sec left 4Q.
Spurs possession.
Manu's last .05 second pass to Duncan for a lay in.
(No. there was no repeat of 2004's .04.)

Ray Allen missed:oops

Spurs' 3rd trip to the WC finals.

polandprzem
05-08-2008, 03:40 AM
WC Semi-finals Game 6
Spurs vs Sonics(standing 3-2 Spurs)

3Q Duncan 1-11 FG
but made 9-10 FTs
Defenders : Jerome J, Collison, & Fortson

note:
Duncan limping, but forced Pop to play him otherwise...

Tight game. TP & Manu struggling. Beno can't find the rim.

then, suddenly Barry started a run with his outside shot in the 4th. 3ptr...then Bowen...

Sonics up by 1. 14.4 sec left 4Q.
Spurs possession.
Manu's last .05 second pass to Duncan for a lay in.
(No. there was no repeat of 2004's .04.)

Ray Allen missed:oops

Spurs' 3rd trip to the WC finals.

I wished spurs were up 3-2 in this series.

MoSpur
05-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I say replace Barry should take a chunk of Finley's minutes if Finley is laying bricks.

hater
05-08-2008, 08:54 AM
is he gonna dunk from the FT line?

xtremesteven33
05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
is he gonna dunk from the FT line?

:bking

DDS4
05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Finley needs to play too. Its not an either or situation. I have faith in FInley's jumper and I'll probably always have faith in it. Don't sell him out after one or 2 bad games. I know his defense is meh, but his jumper is there.

If Fin hesitates like he has in this series, he needs to sit. The Spurs can't afford to wait until he finds his stroke again.

smeagol
05-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Barry has to play more.

I'm pumped for tonight's game!

MannyIsGod
05-09-2008, 01:10 AM

Told you bitches.

T Park
05-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Mike Fin steps up again.

Amazing Fin isn't how well you shoot when you catch and pop? :)

Que Gee
05-09-2008, 01:20 AM
He needs Finley's minutes.

That will never happen. Pop couldn't stand taking Finley's balls out of his mouth.

T Park
05-09-2008, 01:24 AM
That will never happen. Pop couldn't stand taking Finley's balls out of his mouth.

:lol

Wow you haters still hate on the guy even when he plays well.

Congrats :lol

MannyIsGod

Please tell our boy Barry to keep up the faith. I know dude's gonna win a game for us this year.

MannyIsGod

Wow you haters still hate on the guy even when he plays well.

Congrats :lol

He didn't say anything bad about Finley.

T Park
05-09-2008, 01:25 AM
He didn't say anything bad about Finley.

Yeah that was an outright compliment.

MannyIsGod
05-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Yeah that was an outright compliment.

What that Pop loves him? Its neither a compliment nor an insult.