PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: To save series, Spurs' shooters must help Duncan

timvp
05-08-2008, 02:12 AM
To save series, Spurs' shooters must help Duncan
By Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

For 11 seasons, coaches across the NBA have spent countless hours devising ways to keep Tim Duncan from absolutely killing them.

Given Duncan's Hall of Fame résumé, it is safe to say most of those hours have been wasted.

Faced with the Duncan dilemma in this year's Western Conference semifinals, New Orleans coach Byron Scott seems to have come up with a novel solution. He has forced Duncan into a different sport altogether.

“They want Tim to be more of a quarterback,” Spurs guard Michael Finley said.

Like an NFL signal caller in the face of an all-out blitz, Duncan has seen a steady stream of double-teams headed his way the first two games of the series. The objective has been to make Duncan give up the ball, and force any Spurs player not wearing No. 21 to beat them.

So far, this approach has worked wonders for the Hornets.

They own a 2-0 series lead, in part because their “anybody but Duncan” plan has yielded fewer than 85 points in both games.

If the Spurs aim to get back in the series in a crucial Game 3 tonight at the AT&T Center, this much is evident: Duncan's receivers need to step up and make plays.

“Every year, people make a choice whether to double Timmy or not,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “They've decided to double him and that means that people have to make shots. We haven't done that.”

Duncan has scored a grand total of 23 points in two games against the Hornets, but he also hasn't gotten much help.

Aside from a scorching first half from Bruce Bowen in Game 1 and a hot fourth quarter from Brent Barry in Game 2, the Spurs' perimeter shooters haven't made much of their open opportunities.

Manu Ginobili is 11 of 24 in the series, and 4 of 14 from 3-point range. Finley is 7 of 18 and 3 of 11. Bowen, after hitting five of his first six shots is one for his last 11.

So far in the series, the Spurs are shooting 41.7 percent, including 20 of 58 from the 3-point arc.

In another problem prompted by the Hornets' swarming defense, the Spurs have also committed 28 turnovers, leading to 44 points for New Orleans.

“They've obviously done a heck of a job defensively frustrating all of us, with their double-teaming and their shifting,” Duncan said. “Then it seems like they come the other way and they're not missing shots. That stacked on top of each other just makes the whole game very frustrating.”

Given Popovich's history of postseason tinkering in search of offensive punch, it wouldn't be surprising to see him shift Ginobili — the Spurs' leading scorer — from the bench to the starting five.

A less radical potential tweak: Barry, the Spurs' top perimeter shooter, could see more minutes after hitting 4 of 5 from 3-point land late in Game 2.

Neither adjustment, however, would alter the Spurs' No. 1 offensive objective heading into Game 3.

“They're packing it in, and they're giving us those (outside) shots,” Popovich said. “We've got to step up and make them.”

New Orleans' approach to defending Duncan is different than the one Phoenix used in the first round. The Suns sent only occasional double-teams Duncan's way and, as a result, he averaged 24.8 points in that series.

Perhaps Scott learned from the Suns' folly. Or, perhaps he learned from mistakes of his own.

The last time Scott faced the Spurs in the playoffs, as New Jersey's coach in the 2003 NBA Finals, he chose not to give Duncan the constant double-team treatment.

The Spurs won that series in six games, and Duncan averaged 24.2 points en route to his second of three Finals MVP awards.

Five years later, the Hornets have found success against the Spurs by turning Duncan almost exclusively into a passer.

Though Scott is pleased with the way his team has played defense so far, he says the Hornets are still giving up too many open looks. The Spurs tend to agree.

“We have great looks,” Tony Parker said. “That's not the problem.”

Still, don't expect the Hornets to change their strategy much in Game 3. The Spurs, meanwhile, could opt to give their offense a major makeover, and it still wouldn't change the reality.

A quarterback is only as good as his receivers, and a basketball team is only as good as its shooters.

“At the end of the day, you have to make shots,” Parker said. “That's the only thing.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.050808.1C_BKN_Spurs-NO-G3.en.3888e40.html

timvp
05-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Given Popovich's history of postseason tinkering in search of offensive punch, it wouldn't be surprising to see him shift Ginobili — the Spurs' leading scorer — from the bench to the starting five.Yes, please.

A less radical potential tweak: Barry, the Spurs' top perimeter shooter, could see more minutes after hitting 4 of 5 from 3-point land late in Game 2.Yes, please.

Why not both?

“They're packing it in, and they're giving us those (outside) shots,” Popovich said. “We've got to step up and make them.”Exactly. Spurs fans that are complaining about the offense don't make sense to me. The Spurs are getting WIDE open looks from three-point land. The Spurs have to knock down those shots and make the Hornets start questioning their own gameplan.

If a team is packing the paint and you can't loosen it up by knocking down threes, you aren't winning in today's NBA. Especially when your best player is a bigman.

MannyIsGod
05-08-2008, 02:16 AM
It kills me cause they don't even need to hit very many shots. But this should be a feast, when you're getting wide open 3s you should at a minimum be hitting about 40% as a team the way this team is build with shooters. And you can't lose hope after a few shots that miss, you have to step into your next shot and believing its going to go in the way you felt on the first one.

Spurs shooters need to grow some balls and go down firing. If they lose because they were just cold on open shots then so be it. But don't lose because you were too scared to take the appropriate shots. Take what the defense gives you and make them pay.

MannyIsGod
05-08-2008, 02:18 AM
If a team is packing the paint and you can't loosen it up by knocking down threes, you aren't winning in today's NBA. Especially when your best player is a bigman.

Exactly - thats why the pump fake - drive - kick out - run the shot clock down sequences were killing me last game. Just shoot the shot and live with the results.

polandprzem
05-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Exactly. Spurs fans that are complaining about the offense don't make sense to me. The Spurs are getting WIDE open looks from three-point land. The Spurs have to knock down those shots and make the Hornets start questioning their own gameplan.

Why is that?

First of all Spurs must to make those shots.
They are not making them it's shitty offense.
Tony not going all the way to the basket is bad offense. Take a look what was going on when he failed driving into the lane.
Ginobili turnovers. Udoka could not hit Jack.

So where is the offense?

wildchild
05-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Maybe I'm sick but %100 agree with Jeff. We need the Finley, Barry, Ginobili, Bowen, Horry, Udoka 3's. Spurs seeking desperately for a shooters answer in game 3.

florige
05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
It's simple. Until we hit our shots we have no chance at beating this team. We have to make them pay! And put Bowen on Peja.

Frankster
05-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Does it always have to be a 3 that our outside shooters take? Maybe step in a little closer to see if a higher percentage shot can be taken. I'd settle for more 2 pointers if they have a better chance of going in.

Jimcs50
05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
As I said on Tuesday, the Spurs should start Brent Barry to shake things up. He is stroking it better than ever and using him early can help free things up later for TD in the paint.

Finley is not playing well right now, so what would it hurt to try this move?

George Gervin's Afro
05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Exactly - thats why the pump fake - drive - kick out - run the shot clock down sequences were killing me last game. Just shoot the shot and live with the results.

This drives me F*CKING NUTS!!! Shoot the damn ball!

Everytime I see the pump fake..Finley's the worst one! If that guy would just catch and shoot he's alright but when he has to 'make' a play boy are we in trouble..

Ok I feel better now..

wildbill2u
05-08-2008, 09:16 AM
You can see the loss of confidence in the players when they hesitate to take the shot. They should be catching the ball and shooting in rhythm, but instead they are often over-thinking the shot.

Worst of all, IMHO, is whey they hesitate, allow the defense to recover and come flying at them--and then step inside the arc. One foot closer to the basket isn't going to help your perimeter shot % very much--and statistically the point differential advantage between a 3pt and 2pt shot is important.

Udoka has been the worst on hesitation. And when he does shoot a 3, they are WAY off line. He either needs glasses or a new heart.

smackdaddy11
05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Game 1 was getting outrebounded by 16.

Game 2 was open looks all game and missing.

Reminds me of the 2001 Laker series. Spur perimeter players had open look after open look and clanked their way to a playoff exit.

I don't relly care if manu starts or not. I would like to Finley get a quick meat hook if it's brick city because we know he can't guard his shadow.

Barry needs more run.

Tony needs to make the open 20' shot.

Rebounding and shooting 45% plus from the field are the keys to beating them.

mystargtr34
05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Until Udoka can start hitting shit.... then i dont want him in the line up unless were playing small ball ... he just isnt hitting any 3's... has he hit a 3 the entire playoffs? I mean, if hes not hitting his 3's i dont see Pop giving him any minutes given our struggles.

GrandeDavid
05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
As I said on Tuesday, the Spurs should start Brent Barry to shake things up. He is stroking it better than ever and using him early can help free things up later for TD in the paint.

Finley is not playing well right now, so what would it hurt to try this move?

Exactly! I´d want to start Barry or Manu.

George Gervin's Afro
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Game 1 was getting outrebounded by 16.

Game 2 was open looks all game and missing.

Reminds me of the 2001 Laker series. Spur perimeter players had open look after open look and clanked their way to a playoff exit.

I don't relly care if manu starts or not. I would like to Finley get a quick meat hook if it's brick city because we know he can't guard his shadow.

Barry needs more run.

Tony needs to make the open 20' shot.

Rebounding and shooting 45% plus from the field are the keys to beating them.

I rememember 2001... we missed opens shot after open shot all series long... the same is happeneing now..we can't hit the side of a barn and the Hornets, like the lakers, are coming down and hitting everything they throw up... Tim summed it up nicely..

michaelwcho
05-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Does it always have to be a 3 that our outside shooters take? Maybe step in a little closer to see if a higher percentage shot can be taken. I'd settle for more 2 pointers if they have a better chance of going in.

No...take the three. 50% in 2's = 33% in 3's. Unless you're getting near-layups, the 3's are a better shot (because no one on this team will shoot 50% in midrange shots).

Also, a 3-point hit has a substantial psychological effect.

Let's face it, you work hard to get open looks; New Orleans is simply conceding them. While they are sharp, I don't consider that to be beating us. Just like the Lakers packed the paint in '04... Hitting open shots, like hitting free throws, is simply a normal NBA skill.

Incidentally, we could possibly have had Turkoglu as well as Peja for a song if we had gone that route. Although, I doubt they would have played as well here as in their respective homes.

BonnerDynasty
05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Can't complain about the offense? Are you kidding me?

In case you didn't watch the last game, EVERYONE is afraid to shoot. So much hesitation, so little confidence. It's a stagnant p.o.s.

But no worries, it's only May.

Pop must not be that much of a genius if it took him till game 3 to finally give Barry more minutes.

Spurs will not win this series on jumpers anyways.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I just hope we get enough points in the paint this game created from our guards, in addition to the open looks the NO are (have been) giving us on the perimeter...

Que Gee
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=timvp;2474107]Yes, please.

Yes, please.

/QUOTE]

Manu is in there.

timvp
05-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Why is that?

First of all Spurs must to make those shots.
They are not making them it's shitty offense.If you miss wide open shots, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the offensive gameplan. Any gameplan's goal is create wide open shots. The Spurs have to hit the open shots.

Tony not going all the way to the basket is bad offense. Take a look what was going on when he failed driving into the lane.
Ginobili turnovers. Udoka could not hit Jack.
There has been some bad execution but for the most part, the Spurs are creating good looks. Once everyone on the team changes their mindset from the Suns series where everything was isolation or pick-and-roll, to this series where it involves teamwork -- the Spurs should be fine. Whether the hole they dug themselves is too deep, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2008, 04:37 PM
If you miss wide open shots, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the offensive gameplan. Any gameplan's goal is create wide open shots. The Spurs have to hit the open shots.

true but for God's sake it doesn't have to include 27 shots from behind the arc.

Manufan909
05-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah I think I heard that from Reggie Miller at the end of game two. We need to be mentally focused, and understand that we aren't playing the Suns. Shoot with rhythm, and make them pay. I'd also like to see a fully healthy Manu, let's see if Tyson can block him like he has with Parker. And GET STEALS!!! They were getting fast break chances up the ass!!! We needs some steals and Tony layups for everyone to feel more confident and play true championship Spursball.

SPARKY
05-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Pull the Popd@mn trigger. The Spurs are used to methodically running the offense but they are giving up good looks by doing so. This goes against Spurs Basketball, but sometimes you gotta improvise.

timvp
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
true but for God's sake it doesn't have to include 27 shots from behind the arc.I'm fine with 25-35 three-pointers. That's the weakness of the Hornets' current scheme. The reason the Spurs have so many shooters on their roster is specifically to not allow such a strategy to work.

Fighting your way into a packed lane or Duncan trying to get off a quick shot before the triple-team arrives is a lower percentage shot than a wide azz open three-pointer ... IMO, at least.

SPARKY
05-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Manu is in there.

Nice.

J_Paco
05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Obviously, Byron Scott is stealing pages out of Phil Jackson's gameplan on defending the Spurs. Twice, we've seen this tactic of packing in the defense to deter Timmy's offense and stopping Tony/Manu's penetration beat our team.

But, what we've never seen is the defense get breakdown (poor grammar) so easily by one offensive player. Pop needs to decide, tonight, whether he can live with either Paul/West killing us or allowing the entire Hornets team getting in rhythm. I really find it bothersome that not only has Peja scored 20+ points in both games, but Bonzi Wells contributed 10 points in game one and Morris Peterson another 10 points in game two (not to mention Wright's 10 in gm. 2).

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Fighting your way into a packed lane or Duncan trying to get off a quick shot before the triple-team arrives is a lower percentage shot than a wide azz open three-pointer ... IMO, at least.

No argument here with that strategy...but when the basket has lid on it from that far out, take a step or two inside the line and let it fly from there...

MannyIsGod
05-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Got damn how about those 3 point shooters tonight? It opens up the middle so well.