PDA

View Full Version : Keys to Game 3

bcbnola
05-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I am very much looking forward to watching tonight's game. I have no doubt the Spurs will come out ready to play with your crowd behind them. That being said, I think these are the keys to the game tonight:

1) Tyson Chandler foul trouble: He has been pretty good all year staying out of foul trouble. However, he is needed more than ever against the Spurs. In my opinion, he has played Duncan (fever or not) well defensively. He has also been a beast on the boards. With Chandler out the game, Duncan can pretty much do whatever he wants.

2) Manu Ginobli driving left: I really think that Manu can drive in the lane as good or better than any player in the league (Kobe and Lebron included). That being said, from what I have seen (as a Hornets fan, I have only watched about 15 Spurs games this year so yall know better than I do) it seems that if you keep the ball off his left hand he is much more likely to pull up for a jumper or pass the ball. If you give him the left side, game over.

3) Defending David West: In my opinion, I think that D-West on K-Thomas is one of the bigger mismatches in the series matchup wise (Manu on MoPete/Bonzi as well). The Spurs did a great job defensively on West in Game 2, but I expect him to bounce back in Game 3.

CP3, Peja, Duncan and Parker will do their things. I am also sure that the Spurs will be hitting some of those open shots they missed in Games 1/2. Anyway, Vegas likes the Spurs tonight by 7, but I think it will be whatever team executes better on the three points above.

Thoughts?

rayray2k8
05-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Well done. :tu

But there may be changes in the starting line-up of the spurs and
defensive assignments.
Many believe that Bowen will guard Peja leaving Parker
on Paul, hoping that he can stay in front of him.

Thomas, will guard West, but I think its important for the spurs
for him to stay out of foul trouble. (Just like Tyson Chandler for N.O.)

Another thing worth mentioning is, how aggressive will the spurs be on the hornets?
N.O was the bully in both game 1 and 2, so how will the spurs respond in front of their crowd?
And will they give Chris Paul any "love taps"? (No easy baskets in other words)

Good thread.
Hopefully we can leave the city and race smack out of this topic.

remingtonbo2001
05-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I think if NO keeps it competitve during the 1st half, they have the ability to break it open in the 3rd. However, in both games the Spurs had the opportuity to take a large lead going into the half, but failed to capitalize. I think the key to the Spurs winning is getting a large lead early on.

peacemaker885
05-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Good job. My brains are practically soup here in Lakerland. Lets play like there's no tomorrow...

jn77
05-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I think if the Spurs can combine getting to the rim early (tony) and hit a couple of early threes (that New Orleans KEEPS giving them) it will force the Hornets to challenge the three point shooters and open up the lane for Tony and Tim to play their game. The spurs need to find a way to get into the paint and into the heads of the Hornets. Looking for a great game tonight! Go Spurs Go!!

GrandeDavid
05-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I am very much looking forward to watching tonight's game. I have no doubt the Spurs will come out ready to play with your crowd behind them. That being said, I think these are the keys to the game tonight:

1) Tyson Chandler foul trouble: He has been pretty good all year staying out of foul trouble. However, he is needed more than ever against the Spurs. In my opinion, he has played Duncan (fever or not) well defensively. He has also been a beast on the boards. With Chandler out the game, Duncan can pretty much do whatever he wants.

2) Manu Ginobli driving left: I really think that Manu can drive in the lane as good or better than any player in the league (Kobe and Lebron included). That being said, from what I have seen (as a Hornets fan, I have only watched about 15 Spurs games this year so yall know better than I do) it seems that if you keep the ball off his left hand he is much more likely to pull up for a jumper or pass the ball. If you give him the left side, game over.

3) Defending David West: In my opinion, I think that D-West on K-Thomas is one of the bigger mismatches in the series matchup wise (Manu on MoPete/Bonzi as well). The Spurs did a great job defensively on West in Game 2, but I expect him to bounce back in Game 3.

CP3, Peja, Duncan and Parker will do their things. I am also sure that the Spurs will be hitting some of those open shots they missed in Games 1/2. Anyway, Vegas likes the Spurs tonight by 7, but I think it will be whatever team executes better on the three points above.

Thoughts?

Excellent breakdown! You truly are knowledgeable and I appreciate your avoidance of talking trash.

I think it'll be a tough game but feel the Spurs will come out on top. If New Orleans wins tonight, I think they'll win the championship, that's how good they'll be proven to be.

Brutalis
05-08-2008, 05:43 PM
From your fans perspective I can respect that.

I however think Peja is a bigger key than you would think. If we contain him we have a different series going into game 3, so he will be a huge focus of Pop.

SpursDynasty
05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
In my opinion we lost Game 1 because of David West's jump shots and Game 2 because of Peja's jump shots. There's not much you can do when you're getting the other team to settle for jump shots and they make them.

gobo
05-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Thoughts?

Good points. I like Ginobli. If he is on, NO be in real trouble. Manu is extremely underrated player. Since he takes a lot of risks, sometimes he will turn the ball over in excess, but overall he can win you games almost single handedly. Since your team is so far playing really well, the spurs big 3 need to play l well have a better chance against the surprisingly good NO team. So far your team looks much better and mor consistent than the spurs. NO has really a good chance to sweep the spurs.

oligarchy
05-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I think if the Spurs can combine getting to the rim early (tony) and hit a couple of early threes (that New Orleans KEEPS giving them) it will force the Hornets to challenge the three point shooters and open up the lane for Tony and Tim to play their game. The spurs need to find a way to get into the paint and into the heads of the Hornets. Looking for a great game tonight! Go Spurs Go!!

That's the key right there. They are packing the paint and cheating on the shooters, but the shooters aren't making them pay. If they would make them pay, they won't cheat on defense. This would open up the paint more for Parker/Manu/Timmy. The way they are playing defense, we will live and die by the shooters on this team. Simple as that. Changing the defensive assignments isn't going to change anything if they don't have any offense. It's not the defense that is killing them.

SPARKY
05-08-2008, 06:42 PM
I thought Thomas did a great job on West when he was guarding him.