39 min 11-22 FG 3-9 3PT 31PTS

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Bowen on Peja
35 min, 2-7 FG, 1-3 3PT, 8 points

which allowed Manu to cover Mo Pete (instead of Mo posting up Tony):

Mo Pete:
22 minutes, 1-3 FG, 1-3 3 PT, 3 points

Paul got basically the same tonight he was getting in the first two against Bowen.

Funny how that worked out...

rcs15
05-08-2008, 11:40 PM
pop fucking owns byron scott.

O-Factor
05-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Paul is going to get his in this series. He's just that good. We just have to hold down the other guys.

DDS4
Finley hitting his shots off the bench was huge. You know his track record off the bench wasn't all that great.

Warlord23
If only Pop had figured this out after 1 ass-kicking at NO, we may not be in a 2-1 hole in the first place.

Good thing they have 2 full days off before the next game, because they expended a ton of energy today.

Mr. Body
05-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Hold down Peja. West and Paul will get theirs, but otherwise there aren't a lot of scorers on their team.

PlayoffEx-static
05-08-2008, 11:44 PM
If only Pop had figured this out after 1 ass-kicking at NO, we may not be in a 2-1 hole in the first place.

Good thing they have 2 full days off before the next game, because they expended a ton of energy today.

NO were the ones dragging ass in the 4th, not us. They looked gassed, big time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2008, 11:46 PM
IF we're going to pull this out, this is how we have to do it. Like the year Amare got 40 a game against us in the post-season, but we won the series... take away the role players and the guys like Peja that can kill you and see if Paul (and I guess you gotta throw West in here) can score enough to beat you by himself.

Admidave50
05-08-2008, 11:49 PM
CP3 and West are good, but I'm not sure they're scarier than Nash & Stoudemire!

We got this!

DespЏrado
05-08-2008, 11:52 PM
IF we're going to pull this out, this is how we have to do it. Like the year Amare got 40 a game against us in the post-season, but we won the series... take away the role players and the guys like Peja that can kill you and see if Paul (and I guess you gotta throw West in here) can score enough to beat you by himself.

I hope this is enough. Sunday is a long way off, and the Spurs still have to learn how to put it together for 48 minutes every night, on both ends of the court.

The Spurs are gonna get healthier as well and that can not be underestimated in how much it effected this series so far.

And the Hornet's have to be tested. No one knows how well they will react going from up 2-0 to a tied series or even a 3-2 Spurs lead, things will start to get easier for the Spurs if they can do that. But Sunday and game 5 are both absolutely must win games. The Spurs can't take even a possession off.

cly2tw
05-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Pop won this game by withholding adjustment to how NO double-teams TD in this game. His TO with 4 pts lead middle in the 4th was huge. They went on 9-0 run right after. That paired with Manu going insane in the 4th and NO showing their lack of experience did them in.

Had Pop adjusted back in NO, Spurs might still have lost, but by smaller margin. It's just smart strategy by him!

florige
05-09-2008, 12:07 AM

We got this!

The difference is that NO's does have a stopper in the middle to clog the lane up. Phx never had that. We could pretty much score on Phx at will. Chandler has until this game really clogged the lane for Parker and anyone else in general.

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2008, 12:07 AM

We got this!
\The threes aren't falling like they did in that series though

cly2tw
05-09-2008, 12:08 AM

We got this!

CP3 can't be contained while West can. But once you got Nash nailed, the whole offense of the Suns is dead because we don't have sustainable alternatives. So, CP3 as of now is much scarier if you ask a Suns fan.

DAF86
05-09-2008, 12:08 AM
I'd like to see the spurs switching against the PnR between Paul and Chandler, what do you think?

florige
05-09-2008, 12:10 AM
CP3 can't be contained while West can. But once you got Nash nailed, the whole offense of the Suns is dead because we don't have sustainable alternatives. So, CP3 as of now is much scarier if you ask a Suns fan.

Hell the Nash of 07-08 can be contained. The Nash of a few years back was nearly as unstoppable as Paul.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Let me summarize it for you:

The big adjustment for this game was in Pop's mind. The match-ups worked in the Spurs' favor. The idea was to get even with Parker/Paul, try containing West the best you could and shut down everybody else completely. So at the end of the day between Paul/WEst/Peja they had about 60+ pts, not 80 like past games.

At the same time you would let them double TD but get Manu from the start with Parker being relentless at the paint, penetration and kick outs to the perimeter. Their starting SG will probably have nightmares with Manu tonight. Between the big 3 they have to give you about 70+ pts to win against this team if they continue shooting like that. If they don't shoot like that then one of the 3 can have a semi off-night with the same strategy.

I called this game the Spurs needed to keep it close and try running at the end. Their mental toughness and expertise would do the rest. This was the first time they could actually get stops down the stretch as both teams were close by the end of the 3rd. This is the first time the Hornets had to face serious adversity as they weren't up 20 pts entering the 4th.

Another thing I thought it said a lot was Scott's face around mid 3rd quarter where you could clearly see he was extremely worried. I instantly said to myself: "you ran out of tricks". I'm not sure what kind of change of strategy he could employ now to change this for game 4 but as I called it before this game, that change of strategy would be their demise as I don't think they need to change anything. They have an excellent point guard and west who is huge. As a separate note, I thought West actually missed some uncontested shots and hit almost all those that were contested. Perhaps not having anyone trying to stop his jumper takes him off his game a little bit.

Good win. I think the Spurs taking game 2 will get momentum and can probably take game 5 at NO. If game 4 goes ok, they probably have finally figured out this team.

SPARKY
05-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Another thing I thought it said a lot was Scott's face around mid 3rd quarter where you could clearly see he was extremely worried. I instantly said to myself: "you ran out of tricks". I'm not sure what kind of change of strategy he could employ now to change this for game 4 but as I called it before this game, that change of strategy would be their demise as I don't think they need to change anything. They have an excellent point guard and west who is huge. As a separate note, I thought West actually missed some uncontested shots and hit almost all those that were contested. Perhaps not having anyone trying to stop his jumper takes him off his game a little bit.

Good win. I think the Spurs taking game 2 will get momentum and can probably take game 5 at NO. If game 4 goes ok, they probably have finally figured out this team.

Yeah, since reading a coach's face apparently provides insight into the outcome of games, Scott went from cocky to scared shitless in about 0.4* seconds.

Brutalis
05-09-2008, 12:26 AM
I was sort of surprised when Manu was on Peja a few times that they didn't go to him.

T Park
05-09-2008, 12:28 AM
The adjustments were perfect, and now just run the same game plan out there sunday, just don't run out a stupid ass lineup like POp did at the end of the second quarter.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2008, 02:01 AM
The only time Peja got a shot off was when they left him alone on the break. Parker fell down on the basket, Timmy tried to pressure the inbounds play and was late getting back. Chris Paul is great, but he's going to have to score fifty on 35 shots in order to make up for what the Spurs are taking away, and I like those chances.

beachwood
05-09-2008, 02:30 AM
If the hornets beat us by CP taking jump shots all day, I can live with that. But I can't live with seeing him get his team involved and racking up 15 assts.

DazedAndConfused
05-09-2008, 02:50 AM
The game was pretty much tied with about 8-10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Now, if that adjustment was so key then why did it take all the way until the 4th quarter to pay off? Obviously something happened in the 4th that caused the game to break the Spur's way. So while you all want to believe one simple adjustment was the key to a Spurs victory it's just not the case.

The Hornets simply lost their focus in the 4th. It's tough to stay mentally sharp for a full 48 minutes, the Spurs did it tonight since this was a desperation win. It's amazing that the Hornets stayed in the game for so long, they literally would not let SAS pull away until the final minutes of the game. I'm not saying the Spurs can't win this series, but it's clearly an uphill battle for them even after tonight's win.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2008, 03:03 AM
The game was pretty much tied with about 8-10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Now, if that adjustment was so key then why did it take all the way until the 4th quarter to pay off? Obviously something happened in the 4th that caused the game to break the Spur's way. So while you all want to believe one simple adjustment was the key to a Spurs victory it's just not the case.

The Hornets simply lost their focus in the 4th. It's tough to stay mentally sharp for a full 48 minutes, the Spurs did it tonight since this was a desperation win. It's amazing that the Hornets stayed in the game for so long, they literally would not let SAS pull away until the final minutes of the game. I'm not saying the Spurs can't win this series, but it's clearly an uphill battle for them even after tonight's win.

The Spurs win in fourth quarters, or haven't you been watching? Playing solid defense and making Chris Paul beat you puts tremendous pressure on the other team. The only difference between this game and game 2 is that the Spurs weren't too far behind for it to matter when they went on their 4th quarter run.

The Spurs allowed 16 points in the first half of the first quarter, allowed 15 second chance points in the first quarter, and Tim Duncan went 6-13, and it still took CP hitting every stinkin' thing he threw up to keep it close. I'll take that any day. Shore up the rebounding, fix a couple of the mental lapses and let Timmy get his rhythm back and the Spurs have a chance, which is all anyone can ask.

Besides, only an idiot thinks it's not going to be a battle. Everyone in the West is good this year.

timvp
05-09-2008, 03:10 AM
I was very happy with Pop's Game 3 adjustments. I don't think any further adjustments are needed. Pop's main focus has to be to keep confident three-point shooters on the court. If anyone starts hesitating, sit 'em. This series has to be won with the help of three-point shooting.

MannyIsGod
05-09-2008, 03:18 AM
I was very happy with Pop's Game 3 adjustments. I don't think any further adjustments are needed. Pop's main focus has to be to keep confident three-point shooters on the court. If anyone starts hesitating, sit 'em. This series has to be won with the help of three-point shooting.

need...YET.

Gonna be interesting to see what Scott throws at them in game four. Spurs can't afford to lose it, so Pop may have to make due on the fly.

I hope Pop can out coach Scott in this series.

DazedAndConfused
05-09-2008, 03:33 AM
I disagree. I don't think the Spurs found some secret weakness tonight at all. The answer was within themselves the entire time. Play hard, hustle for rebounds, stay focused and sharp for 48 minutes and you give yourself a great chance to win.

DazedAndConfused
05-09-2008, 03:35 AM
need...YET.

Gonna be interesting to see what Scott throws at them in game four. Spurs can't afford to lose it, so Pop may have to make due on the fly.

I hope Pop can out coach Scott in this series.

Scott won't do much. His gameplan is solid. Offensively his team is getting pretty much whatever shot they want and defensively he is limiting the Spurs to taking jumpshots (outside of the 4th). His team lacked execution and focus in the 4th quarter and that is why they lost.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2008, 03:57 AM
I disagree. I don't think the Spurs found some secret weakness tonight at all. The answer was within themselves the entire time. Play hard, hustle for rebounds, stay focused and sharp for 48 minutes and you give yourself a great chance to win.

Yep, nobody has any tricks left IMO. The Hornets are up 2-1 in this series because they've played really well for three games and the Spurs haven't.

smeagol
05-09-2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the insight. :rolleyes

LakerFan, you should be coaching an NBA team instead of posting 3,000 times in a Spurs message board.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2008, 07:47 AM

What you described is Spurs basketball. Keep it close for three quarters and grind it out in the fourth.

florige
05-09-2008, 07:49 AM
I still wouldn't mind at least slowing down Paul at least on some occasions. This guy is 6ft nothing. He is driving on us like its nothing. I was shocked when they were actually up in the 3rd. While I would not change a thing defensively, I would maybe try to call out those screens earlier or something. There has to be something to slow that fool down without altering our defensive gameplan.

DAF86
05-09-2008, 07:51 AM
I still wouldn't mind at least slowing down Paul at least on some occasions. This guy is 6ft nothing. He is driving on us like its nothing. I was shocked when they were actually up in the 3rd. While I would not change a thing defensively, I would maybe try to call out those screens earlier or something. There has to be something to slow that fool down without altering our defensive gameplan.

I'd like to see the spurs switching against the PnR between Paul and Chandler, what do you think?

florige
05-09-2008, 07:56 AM
I agree. By the time he gets past that p/r he has a full head of steam driving to the rim. He either makes it,or draws the foul everytime.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2008, 08:01 AM
A lot of times Paul is getting the benefit of a moving screen by Chandler or West. There's not a good way to defend that.

And ugh, give it up DAF86. Every time the Spurs switched on the pick and roll Paul threw it over the top of Parker on the big man for a dunk.

DAF86
05-09-2008, 08:04 AM
A lot of times Paul is getting the benefit of a moving screen by Chandler or West. There's not a good way to defend that.

And ugh, give it up DAF86. Every time the Spurs switched on the pick and roll Paul threw it over the top of Parker on the big man for a dunk.

Read what I posted on the other thread :D, I just want the Spurs to keep Paul out of the paint.

florige
05-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Read what I posted on the other thread :D, I just want the Spurs to keep Paul out of the paint.

I have no problem if he drops 60 a game and we still win the series. Lord knows we will have that same problem if/when we play Kobe. It's just frustrating everytime down he seems to score. But I guess if they are giving them those moving screens there isn't much you can do.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-09-2008, 09:19 AM

Well actually they made a lot of adjustmetns for this game like startting manu, and changing the D adjments. Big changes. I don't think Scott has any tricks left in his bag and franly I don't think he needs to change anything. His team is playing well enough to win.

It was good to see for the first time what happens when you enter the 4th quarter close not blown out. I predicted the spurs will capitalize on that.

wildbill2u
05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
RELENTLESS!

We never caved when they were ahead and finally, under our constant pressure, NO caved in the 4th.

You can say it was our experience vs. their inexperience, or fatigue, or home court crowd or whatever. But this is the way we will have to play to beat this young, talented and athletic team.

RELENTLESS! GO SPURS GO!

SPARKY
05-09-2008, 10:55 AM

...and don't give Predrag good looks.

Next.

romsho
05-09-2008, 12:07 PM

So what you are saying is the Bowen to Peja move (which also took Parker off Mo Pete) wasn't a difference maker, but the Hornets losing their focus in the 4th was? With all due respect, your analysis stinks.

The fact that the game was close had nothing to do with the adjustment, and everything to do with Chris Paul putting that team on his back and going superstar...the numbers don't lie...8 for Peja and 3 for Mo Pete speak for themselves. The adjustment was a homerun. No one is going to stop Chris Paul, and to a lesser extent David West, but the same can be said of Duncan, Parker and Manu. They all played well and the Spurs won- don't try and sell us the only one who can beat the Hornets is themselves. Coming from a Laker fan, we will take it under advisement.

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I think the adjustments made by shifting the matchups for Game 3 was key. Of Peja's 8, 3 came from free throws on a couple of questionable foul calls. More importantly, the adjustments limited the team involvement of the Hornets in Game 3. In Game 1, the Hornets got assists on 23 of their 43 field goals (almost 55%); in Game 2, that number was even higher, with assists on 22 of their 36 field goals (more than 61%). In Game 3, with the Spurs' defense focused on taking away the ancillary scorers, the Hornets got 15 assists on 41 field goals (about 37%). Normally, you might attribute that to reduced FG percentages or things like that, but the Hornets again shot almost 50% from the floor (they were at 50% in Game 1 and near it in Game 2). I think the reduction in assists as a percentage of their field goals is a direct proof that the Spurs defensive strategy -- limit the other guys and don't let them get going -- worked.

The shooting percentage is still too high -- if it takes Paul shooting 60% from the field to keep the Hornets in the game, I'll take my chances on the unlikelihood that he can repeat that performance several more times in this series. Challenging Paul to be a scorer and limiting his opportunities to create for his teammates is crucial. The Spurs did it last night, the Hornets went away from sharing the ball as much (or as well) as they had in Games 1 and 2, and the Spurs were able to make the run they needed to get away and win. And do it on a night when Paul and West combined to shoot almost 60% from the floor. Again, I think it's reasonable to wonder about how repeatable that performance is.

As for additional adjustments, I think the Spurs do have to find a way to get Tim Duncan involved offensively. It's more than just points that will show that has happened. Tim is shooting under 40% for this series and the Spurs' offense is struggling because of it. Somehow, even in putting up 110 and shooting almost 50% in Game 3, it seemed like the Spurs were having to work exceptionally hard to get scores at times. Things become so much easier for everyone else if Tim can be efficient on the offensive end. Whether it's because he's been sick or because the Hornets have been able to render him ineffective with their gameplans, I think one thing the Spurs HAVE to figure out is how to get Tim involved as an efficient offensive player.

They seemed to get a glimmer of a solution in the 4th last night by moving Tim a lot more; there was one play in particular in which Fab caught the ball in the mid-post and Tim dove to the rim for a signature Oberto bounce pass and an easy score. Tim also seemed to wake up a bit when he caught the ball moving instead of posting up and waiting for the double or working too hard to get space in a post-up situation against Chandler. I don't pretend to know the ultimate solution to the problem, but more motion (at least at times) might be a useful starting point.

1Parker1
05-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I definitely agree with you FWD. I loved the adjustments made by Pop. And I think it's highly unprobable that West and CP3 can shoot 60% from the field. But I also doubt how often Ginobili and Parker can both combine to score 60+ points. That's why it's essential to get Duncan going on offense. When the Spurs were finally able to separate themselves from the Hornets in the 4th, it was all because Duncan was getting involved and making quick moves to the basket.

I think another subtle strategy that Pop used was trying to get Tyson Chandler in foul trouble early on. If the Spurs can continue to do that, they'd be in better shape as the Hornets have a thin front line.

The Hack a Tyson and Zone defense strategy Pop used in the first half, almost cost the Spurs the game however. I hope we never see either of those again.

DazedAndConfused
05-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I still see this series as the Spurs as the team forced to constantly adjust to the Hornets, and not the other way around. Typically the team that is doing that ends up losing the series (i.e. PHX going to Diaw in the post).

The Hornets gameplan is simple and consistent for the most part. Throw hard doubles at Duncan, pack in the paint to stop TP's drives, and force the Spurs to hit jumpshots. It has worked twice and they were able to stand up to the Spurs best punch in Game 3 and still have a chance to win the game in the 4th. The Spurs staved off probable elimination with a desperation win (nobody has come back down 0-3), nothing more and nothing less than what PHX did in Game 4 of the 1st round.

If the Spurs win Game 4 then all this talk is definitely warranted.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I still see this series as the Spurs as the team forced to constantly adjust to the Hornets, and not the other way around. Typically the team that is doing that ends up losing the series (i.e. PHX going to Diaw in the post).

The Hornets gameplan is simple and consistent for the most part. Throw hard doubles at Duncan, pack in the paint to stop TP's drives, and force the Spurs to hit jumpshots. It has worked twice and they were able to stand up to the Spurs best punch in Game 3 and still have a chance to win the game in the 4th. The Spurs staved off probable elimination with a desperation win (nobody has come back down 0-3), nothing more and nothing less than what PHX did in Game 4 of the 1st round.

If the Spurs win Game 4 then all this talk is definitely warranted.

Two things:

1. Your post is clearly biased. You always like to post about things the Spurs are doing wrong or what can go wrong and disguise it with several layers of "political correctness-apparently well-rounded knowledge of basketball".

2. Based on what you said above, it's clear you haven't watched very many Spurs playoff series in the past several years. When the Spurs make the necessary adjustments, they usually win. Pop is great at that as he always put his players in a winning position and then it's up to them to get to work.

td4mvp21
05-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Good adjustments by Pop, exactly the ones he needed to make. And I'm not sure if this is right, but wasn't he sending a help defender to clog the pick and roll later in the game? That seemed to disrupt the Hornets pick and roll (that's what it looked like Pop was doing, to me, but I'm not sure if that was what he was doing :lol)

CosmicCowboy
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I could see Pop in game 4 randomly pulling Duncan out of the low block and posting him more at the top of the key to break the log jam at the basket. Chandler will have to honor Duncan's jumper, opening up the paint more for Tony and Manu. Pop has used this before against defensive minded center/shot blockers. Also if they want to throw a double/triple on Duncan out there it opens up a super highway to the basket. Make them adjust to us...Duncan on Chandler one on one = early foul trouble for Chandler.