PDA

View Full Version : Before Bruce Bowen

Ocotillo
05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
there was Sean .

During their productive years, who would you rather have? Recall under Pop, Sean evolved to the perimeter defender role that Bruce fills now. The thing about Sean was he has genuine offensive skills as well. He was not the lock down defender that BB is but he was pretty darn good.

This is not a knock on Bruce because both of these guys are beloved and have represented this city well and been involved in the community in a positive way.

That long three everyone wants to get and groom to replace Bruce may actually be more of a Sean type player than a Stacey Augmon type.

Note: I edited this because when I typed Sean's last name, the result in the post said Dirk is my Daddy several times in row?

Supreme_Being
05-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Elliott.

Spurminator
05-09-2008, 09:50 AM
At the height of Bowenn's career, he rarely ever had an off game because even if his offense was off he could still shut down his opponent. Sean was a decent defender, but if his shot was off he wasn't always useful. So I take Bowenn.

DAF86
05-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Eliott's an all star kind of player, besides one of my favorite players of all time, so I take Sean.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
If I were picking in a vacuum, Elliott. In his prime you could put Sean Elliott on any ball club and they would be better for it. Bowen far outstrips him on the defensive end, but on some teams that lack scoring options he'd struggle to get minutes. He benefits from the Spurs being an absolutely perfect fit for him. I've referred to him as The Roundest Peg in the NBA in BB discussions for it.

If I were a GM I'd probably give my right eye to have the "burden" of having to choose one over the other.

MI21
05-09-2008, 10:16 AM
For the Tim, Tony and Manu version of the Spurs, i'll take Bruce.